Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2011   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans need to get best available receiver next season....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I'd say the 2nd round is a good time to get a wide out. I'd take a rush end / OLB in the first again if someone is available. Mario's return to this team due to salary cap concerns probably limits our ability to resign him. I'd rather have Foster and get another OLB rush end. I like Mario, but I don't think we can afford his contract.
It would make sense to Franchise him next year, IMO, should be in the $9-10M range.
Old 12-19-2011   #22
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It would make sense to Franchise him next year, IMO, should be in the $9-10M range.
KT, I'm not sure that this correct, but I heard it would be more in the neighborhood of $17(x's 6 0's) to even franchise him. You would know better than me in that regard - but that's what I heard.

I like Mario, but from a value standpoint, he's not worth that.
Old 12-19-2011   #23
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
more like 20M with reid around. there are threads for this conversation
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #24
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173004 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

He's already in the top 5 salary for his position so it's 120%...something along those lines. I think we've seen the last of Mario. Don't know how I feel about that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
He's already in the top 5 salary for his position so it's 120%...something along those lines. I think we've seen the last of Mario. Don't know how I feel about that either.
PapaBrakolos, You should feel like me... I would love to have him around BUT We're getting good production from Brooks Reid and do NOT have to overspend at that position. Make an equitable offer to Mario (which probably won't be enough for him) and say... This is what we got for you, but if you don't like it... WE understand.. Thanks for your service and GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-19-2011   #26
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The question with Mario is, would we franchise him as a OLB or a DE? I would think OLB, which would give us a discount against the DE salaries.

Just spitballin'.....
Old 12-19-2011   #27
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The question with Mario is, would we franchise him as a OLB or a DE? I would think OLB, which would give us a discount against the DE salaries.

Just spitballin'.....
I'm pretty sure with the new CBA if his salary were to drop due to the position averages over the last 3 years, he'd get 120% of base from this year.
Old 12-19-2011   #28
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Just spitballin'.....
That's exactly "the question"... I'm pretty sure that given Mario's injury this season, he would rather put himself out there as a DE and NOT an OLB!!
Old 12-19-2011   #29
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
That's exactly "the question"... I'm pretty sure that given Mario's injury this season, he would rather put himself out there as a DE and NOT an OLB!!
With the new CBA if a franchise tag pays you less than you made the previous year regardless of what position they franchise you at, it's 120% of the previous years base. New CBA is pretty good at making sure players don't take pay cuts.
Old 12-19-2011   #30
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2408 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Kendall Wright!

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 12-20-2011 at 12:14 AM.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

2012 NFL Free Agent Receivers

Reggie Wayne (IND) - The Colts are an organization that tends to take care of their own. Though they're in a precarious position after signing Manning long term and with Robert Mathis looking for his own deal, the Colts will have to make room. On the bright side, the new CBA couldn't have come at a better time for the Colts who would have been due to dole out a large sum for a potentially high draft pick.

Wes Welker (NE) - Through 5 games, Welker is on pace to break the season record for receptions and shatter the record for receiving yards. It's safe to say hes Brady's favorite target on 3rd downs to move the chains and virtually impossible to cover out of the slot due to his quickness, intelligence, and hands. You have to think Brady will make a push to keep him around if the front office shockingly has other plans.

Vincent Jackson (SD) - Partially due to his actions and injuries, the Chargers have been reluctant to sign Vincent Jackson to a long-term extension. If there's any animosity between the two parties, this could be the time where there's a split. Still, the best guess is that the team will pay Jackson like a number one receiver and keep him in San Diego.

DeSean Jackson (PHI) - Jackson is the perfect weapon for the Eagles offense that relies upon big plays. Though the organization was unwilling to cave to his offseason demands, they'll have to think long and hard about doing everything in their power to retain Jackson. Though Maclin may be the better overall receiver, Jackson's vertical ability has a great impact on the way defenses approach the Eagles' offense. Though based on his comments and actions of several months ago, it appears that Jackson could be lured away from Philadelphia with a lucrative offer.

Dwayne Bowe (KC) - One subpar season aside, Dwayne Bowe has emerged into the number one receiver the offense needs. He's a big body and a good route runner with a large catching radius. His most impressive attribute is his body of work around the goal line. He's a complete mismatch with the fade, slant, and back shoulder passes and has shown the propensity to make the acrobatic catches on numerous occasions.

Marques Colston (NO) - When healthy, Colston is a match-up nightmare for any corner. He's an incredibly physical receiver and a sure-handed, polished route runner. When he's available, he brings another dimension to the Saints offense that none of their other talented weapons possess. Though Brees has proven capable of running the offense without him, they're even more dangerous with him.

Steve Johnson (BUF) - Still working on his meager rookie salary, Johnson figures to be a big part of the Bills' long term plans. On a team with few superstars, the Bills can afford to lock up Johnson long term and maintain an effective passing attack. After he and fellow free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick are locked up, Bills fans can breathe easier about the bright future of their offense.

Brandon Lloyd (STL) - Lloyd's next contract will largely depend upon his production over the remainder of the season. Though he hasn't been as explosive and consistent as a year ago when he broke out at age 29, he still appears to be a dangerous receiver with the league's largest catching radius.

Robert Meachem (NO) - Meachem is one of the younger receivers that could be a nice pick-up for an offense with a larger workload to offer. He's a good downfield threat and has nice instincts in the red zone. Unlike Colston, Meachem is more of a luxury for the offense.

Mario Manningham (NYG) - With Manningham and Cruz behind Hakeem Nicks, the Giants have found a nice threesome. They seemed disappointed in Steve Smith's decision to bolt for Philadelphia without the option to match the contact, so there's no question the front office will look to keep the remainder of their receiving corps intact.

Mike Wallace (PIT) - Restricted - No receiver in the league forces safeties back like Wallace. His deep speed is second to none on the perimeter and he capitalizes on it with the ability to run those vertical routes proficiently. He's improving in other areas of his game and is an extremely valuable piece to the Steelers' offense.

The Rest:
Early Doucet (ARZ)
Harry Douglas (ATL)
Eric Weems (ATL)
Roscoe Parrish (BUF)
Legedu Naanee (CAR)
Earl Bennett (CHI)
Roy Williams (CHI)
Andre Caldwell (CIN)
Jerome Simpson (CIN)
Eddie Royal (DEN)
Rashied Davis (DET)
Maurice Stovall (DET)
Bryant Johnson (HOU)
Pierre Garcon (IND)
Anthony Gonzalez (IND)
Jerheme Urban (KC)
Devin Aromashodu (MIN)
Bernard Berrian (MIN)
Greg Camarillo (MIN)
Deion Branch (NE)
Matt Slater (NE)
Domenik Hixon (NYG)
Devin Thomas (NYG)
Plaxico Burress (NYJ)
Derek Hagan (OAK)
Chaz Schilens (OAK)
Steve Smith (PHI)
Jerricho Cotchery (PIT)
Patrick Crayton (SD)
Braylon Edwards (SF)
Ted Ginn (SF)
Josh Morgan (SF)
Mike Sims-Walker (STL)
Micheal Spurlock (TB)
Donnie Avery (TEN)
Kevin Curtis (TEN)
Lavelle Hawkins (TEN)
Donte' Stallworth (WAS)
Stephen Williams (ARZ) - Exclusive Rights
Jordan Norwood (CLE) - Exclusive Rights
Jesse Holley (DAL) - Exclusive Rights
Kevin Ogletree (DAL) - Restricted
Stefan Logan (DET) - Restricted
Matt Willis (DEN) - Restricted
Danny Amendola (STL) - Restricted
Dominique Curry (STL) - Exclusive Rights
Preston Parker (TB) - Exclusive Rights
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #32
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
I thought about a "Julio Jones" type of trade on draft night, but that MIGHT be too many picks.

We'll see. However, I expect 'em to make a play for one. WR is so deep, we might be able to draft one in the 2nd round, after getting another position if need be in round 1.

Think of these WRs:

Justin Blackmon
Kendall Wright
Ryan Broyles (ou still sucks)
Michael Floyd
Alshon Jeffery
Reuben Randle
Nick Toon
Jeff Fuller
Dwight Jones
Mohamed Sanu

All could be in the draft
These are guys I like and that should be available to the Texans when their selection comes up.
Old 12-20-2011   #33
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I want to see us keep building the defense.

I really want to make that the soul of our team, forever.

I trust Kubiak to make the offense work.

I think we can find someone to lift the roof off the defense (the thing we need most) in FA or in the mid rounds.
Old 12-20-2011   #34
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I'm pretty sure with the new CBA if his salary were to drop due to the position averages over the last 3 years, he'd get 120% of base from this year.
Doesn't matter which position he's listed as because he gets 120% of his base salary (the highest amount), which is around 13.8 million. So to franchise tag him it would cost the Texans around 16.6 million for one season.
Old 12-20-2011   #35
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Marvin McNutt 78 1269 16.3
My guy, Marvin McNutt.

This classic porn star named-thing is fast, big and explosive! And that's not even on the football field!
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #36
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I'm sure Reggie Wayne would love to be opposite of his old college buddy. He's not the wayne of 4 years ago, but he's still a very good wr who could compliment johnson very well. The colts are moving on without him and the texans are trying to win it. It makes too much sense. They could still draft a guy like jeffers and work him in. Getting weapons and spreding teams out is the vogue, but you need guys who can whip other guys. Your 3rd wr should be alot better than the other teams 3rd cb.
Old 12-20-2011   #37
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Doesn't matter which position he's listed as because he gets 120% of his base salary (the highest amount), which is around 13.8 million. So to franchise tag him it would cost the Texans around 16.6 million for one season.
We're saying the same thing, 120% of last year's salary.
Old 12-20-2011   #38
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Trade Mario for a top pick in next years draft and a second rounder. Then pick Justin Blackmon with our 1st round selection. Maybe even select Fuller in the 2nd round. We really need help in this.position.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
Trade Mario for a top pick in next years draft and a second rounder. Then pick Justin Blackmon with our 1st round selection. Maybe even select Fuller in the 2nd round. We really need help in this.position.
Any idea which team will make this deal?? Has to be with one of the top 5-6 teams because all the mocks I've seen says Blackmon is a top five pick. Good luck getting them to absorb Mario's salary when, with today's rookie scale, they can get a 1st round pass rusher at a much better price.

I'm for grabbing an ILB or NT in the first round and getting a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. Fuller, Toon, or D. Jones will probably be there in the 2nd or 3rd. I like Jones because he has really good size and has a history with T.J. Yates -- assuming you guys still think T.J. is our QB of the future....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #40
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Any idea which team will make this deal?? Has to be with one of the top 5-6 teams because all the mocks I've seen says Blackmon is a top five pick. Good luck getting them to absorb Mario's salary when, with today's rookie scale, they can get a 1st round pass rusher at a much better price.

I'm for grabbing an ILB or NT in the first round and getting a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. Fuller, Toon, or D. Jones will probably be there in the 2nd or 3rd. I like Jones because he has really good size and has a history with T.J. Yates -- assuming you guys still think T.J. is our QB of the future....
I'm thinking maybe the Panthers or Miami will be a customer. Also if wade is our defensive coach I don't think he likes to have these monster nose tackles that are usually in a 3-4. He usually goes for more speedy players.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read