Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-19-2011   #1
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans need to get best available receiver next season....

Texans need to get best available receiver next season .....either through the NFL draft or free agency.
I reallly think it is time to look ahead. Andre Johnson is not getting any younger. He is going to be pushing 30 sometime soon. His health is starting to become a issue.
We need to bring someone else in to learn under him while Andre is still on this team to become his apprentice......Andre is the Master......(Star Wars reference)

Jacoby is a good punt returner....but he will never be that playmaker at the wide receiver..plain and simple.....

I say we move up in the draft and do it like Atlanta did it last year with Julio Jones......it should be our number one priority next year.......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans need to get best available receiver next season....

yep. Andre turned 30 this year. I think he's got a few great years left in his tank, but I would have no problem in drafting his successor. Jacoby is not it.
Old 12-19-2011   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

It would suck if it took the whole draft to do it but getting a guy like Blackmon on the team would be enormous.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #4
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I thought about a "Julio Jones" type of trade on draft night, but that MIGHT be too many picks.

We'll see. However, I expect 'em to make a play for one. WR is so deep, we might be able to draft one in the 2nd round, after getting another position if need be in round 1.

Think of these WRs:

Justin Blackmon
Kendall Wright
Ryan Broyles (ou still sucks)
Michael Floyd
Alshon Jeffery
Reuben Randle
Nick Toon
Jeff Fuller
Dwight Jones
Mohamed Sanu

All could be in the draft
Old 12-19-2011   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

As good as last years draft was I hope we don't trade away most of our draft for any player at any position. Our building through the draft and not over spending for any one player is just starting to pay off, why change now?

We do need a reciever though, hope we draft one sooner rather than later.
Old 12-19-2011   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed completely.

This draft is going to be a really good WR draft. Not only would I not be opposed to, but I would advocate for hedging our bet and drafting a couple of WR in the early rounds of the draft.

Also, remember that we will be getting Lestar Jean back next year, which should help.
Old 12-19-2011   #7
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year was one of the best ever for WRs. But I wouldn't panic if we didn't get one in the first round. The cowpatties and the colts, just to name two, have found excellent WRs as late as the fourth round. We just need to alert the scouts that that's a primary position to focus on this draft. Good FA WRs might be too high to get. If we can only be as lucky with offense this year, as we were with defense last year, we will get a good one.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Texans need to get best available receiver next season .....either through the NFL draft or free agency.
I reallly think it is time to look ahead. Andre Johnson is not getting any younger. He is going to be pushing 30 sometime soon. His health is starting to become a issue.
We need to bring someone else in to learn under him while Andre is still on this team to become his apprentice......Andre is the Master......(Star Wars reference)

Jacoby is a good punt returner....but he will never be that playmaker at the wide receiver..plain and simple.....

I say we move up in the draft and do it like Atlanta did it last year with Julio Jones......it should be our number one priority next year.......
Our first round will bring us a very good player without having to trade up. We can also land WRs later if we choose to draft two.

Kendall Wright (my guy) 101 receptions 1,572 15.6 avg (Baylor plays Washington Dec 29th Thurs on ESPN 8 Central. Gives a chance to see NT Alameda Ta'Amu also.

Dwight Jones 79 for 1119 14.2 avg

Mohammed Sanu 109 1144 10.5
Marvin McNutt 78 1269 16.3
Jordan White 127 1646 13.0
Old 12-19-2011   #9
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd draft a mid round guy but hopefully there is a FA that can make an impact. Can't really trust rookie WRs.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 27729 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope the Texans spend a first round pick on a WR. Then take another in the mid-rounds. Maybe Jacoby can get traded.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we get one WR in free agency and in the draft. We have to address it and WRs are somewhat iffy when drafted, so it would be best to get a mix. Would love to get a midlevel guy like Harry Douglas for the slot or Robert Meachem as a #2. I would like to aim higher, but I don't think we'll have the cap space to go after Stevie Johnson, Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe.
Old 12-19-2011   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans don't need to blindly lock onto a position in this draft. WR should be upgraded this off-season, but if a better player available in the first round the Texans are not that kind of needy at WR.
Old 12-19-2011   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Would love Kendall Wright, will take Broyles. I would even be for taking them both.
Old 12-19-2011   #14
zwest1231
Rookie

I think the Texans could use their first round pick on any number of positions I would not mind seeing them address WR in the first but I wouldn't trade multiple picks to move up and get anyone not named Justin Blackmon. I'd love to see us strengthen the offensive line or nose tackle position and would not have a problem choosing the highest rated guy from one of those positions either.
zwest1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #15
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
It would suck if it took the whole draft to do it but getting a guy like Blackmon on the team would be enormous.
Thats who I want us to draft!
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #16
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say the 2nd round is a good time to get a wide out. I'd take a rush end / OLB in the first again if someone is available. Mario's return to this team due to salary cap concerns probably limits our ability to resign him. I'd rather have Foster and get another OLB rush end. I like Mario, but I don't think we can afford his contract.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Colston and Meachem are free agents sign one of them.
Old 12-19-2011   #18
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8095 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Would absolutely love Broyles in the 3rd/ late 2nd round. Perfect compliment across from AJ. Wes Welker type of receive who always is open.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait!! What??? Jacoby Jones isn't "all that?"

I seem to remember some folks stoked about the Texans re-signing him to be a number "2" with Walter in the slot..

Personally, I have gotten a little bit more comfortable with him returning punts, but I would be lying if I said that I don't hold my breath a little.
Old 12-19-2011   #20
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

will the texans be able to afford a high$ FA wr? they will pick in the mid twenties of first round so maybe third-fourth best wr available. then comes the scouting of who is the third-fourth best wr available.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read