Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2011   #41
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pick your favorite complaint and get it out of your system

Re: The Mario Issue, Let's look at it in another way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop 4/19/11
Simplified possible Mario outcomes next season:
1. Plays good when healthy but has some type of nagging injury as last two years
2. Does not adapt to 3-4.
3. Plays great in his contract year

In 1 we get probably nothing or do we get compensation because we do not sign as we did with Dunta. Last pick in draft. LOL

In 2 same as 1

In 3, do you want to give Mario say 20+ million for the next 5 years based on his last year of performance. Say the cap is 120 million. If you divide in half, half for offense and half for defense, do you really want to give Mario 33% of all money for defense? I sure don't. DO YOU?

In reality probably no player is worth that large of % of cap. Maybe Peyton or Brady etc QBs of that caliber may be the only position that warrants that and even then it is a crap shoot because of injury.

The above is why I think IF you can get a good deal in a trade this year you do it.

It is very likely that other teams view Mario in the same way and will give nothing for him this year. I don't know. But if there are teams out that that covet him I think it should seriously be considered by the Texans.

I don't think Aso is a good deal based on reasoning above.
Just my opinion. "

12/20/11

Here we are almost exactly 8 months from the above post. Took a lot of negative hits from this thread I started. Here we are now and where do we stand? It was my feeling that no matter what happened we would be in a bad place with Mario once the season was over.

I am reading on other threads that we trade Mario now for this and/or that. Someone please explain how we do this? Isn't he a free agent? I think we missed our chance to get something of value for MW. I still thinks he WALKS with us getting nothing but the PITY pick/consolation pick/Dunta pick etc.

Why do I think we get nothing? I don't think we can " non-exclusive " franchise and expect anyone to offer anything for Mario if it means them giving up high round draft choices. I don't think we outright franchise him because he is not worth what we would need to pay him. We can transition tag him but correct me if I am wrong, if we don't match we get nothing.

Anyone watch the game last night. Anyone see Aldon Smith. Anyone think Mario is better. I am sure there are.

Somebody make me feel better and explain how we come out of this deal whole.

I can't help but think where this team would be now if a trade would have been made and we had a real 1b WR and another real CB.

The great teams stay great by always increasing overall talent VALUE. We will lose overall value if we keep Mario or we lose overall value if we let Mario walk.

I really am ecstatic with the Texans season. It may not seem like that but I am. I just have this feeling that we could be a whole lot better if a trade was made.

You asked for it and there it is.

I think the outcome of this Mario situation will be a major factor in the future of the Texans. I think the best outcome has passed us by. That being trading him while we still had rights. We rolled the dice but my feelings were they would come up snake eyes no matter what in reference to long term. Our best situation would have been for him to play like Bruce Smith and stay healthy and help us go deep in playoffs .

Someone again please explain how we trade him and get something for him in the off season. I am just not seeing it.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #42
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This is the genius of the DVR. Start watching the game about 45 minutes after kickoff. Fast forward through commercials. You end up synced with real time somewhere in the fourth quarter. You can then take a little break and let the DVR weed out some more commercials for you.

My son and I watched an entire Texans game in about an hour a few weeks ago.
It's the home games that bother me. I wish we could fast forward while in person.
Old 12-20-2011   #43
HollaIFyaHEMI
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
It's the home games that bother me. I wish we could fast forward while in person.
Do you remember what happened to Sandler...you dont want to end up like this. "The Texans won how many Super Bowls...what year is it?"
HollaIFyaHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #44
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I wish we had a better WR corp as well but for now there's nothing the front office can do to help them out, there are no elite WR's sitting on their couches waiting for the phone to ring. The trade deadline has passed. Who do you think is available that's real good and super cheap or free since we're real close to the salary cap?
Hey with TO's money issues he would take anything right now and the guy is a physical freak and has had a public workout why not at least kick the tires and see what he can do for the playoffs or and this is a longshot, Randy Moss as they stated that he was in the best shape of his NFL career at the start of the season. Randy stated that a playoff caliber team would peak his interest those would be the 2 I would at least call up to see if they would have interest and i'm sure they could do better than Jacoby Jones & Slow ass Kevin Walters.
Old 12-20-2011   #45
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
yeah, I know how it feels. I hated all the down time between plays at games. The ebb and flow were constantly jacked up because of tv timeouts. Dudes just standing on the field waiting for some remote producer to give the game officials a green light to proceed.
Old 12-20-2011   #46
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

having to go through those psuedo security/ hand waving near your body pat down searches that have now been 'hightened' to include metal detecting wands. This is the biggest waste of time on gameday.

Please quit 'posing' like there is some kind of security, and making the entrance even longer and more aggrevating than it already is.

those wands don't even detect the cellphones, car keys, wristwatches, etc that ARE already being brought in every game.

HELLO, its called PLASTIC Explosives.
Old 12-23-2011   #47
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it too late to add piss-poor officiating to this list?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read