Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2011   #41
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Re: I Don't Like The Way Arian Carries The Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwayshauntay View Post
I know what you're trying to show here with Arian's almost throw while running, but all this clip did for me is make me mad at Jacoby Jones. What piss poor blocking.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #42
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The fumbles will come up in the contract negotiations.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #43
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Not all that much? Officially listed with 3 at NFL.com, http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...2&d-447263-n=1 for a guy getting the ball as much as he does, it's really not as big of a problem as you guys are making. Go find a guy who does as much damage as Foster does and hangs onto the ball every time. He doesn't exist. And early in games? You mean like when it has the most chance of being irrelevant because there's still 59 minutes left in the game?

Um. Yes it does. If Arian makes the HOF fumbling >5 times a year when he's getting the ball 400 times YES, PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!! I guess you would rather have Samkon Gado or Adimchinobe Echimandu getting 1.5 yards per and never fumbling right?

Running backs will fumble the ball. Quarterbacks will throw interceptions. Texans will lose games. Perfection exists nowhere in the universe we inhabit, save for the minds of a few Texans' fans.

Oh yeah and lets bring up his college career like that matters in even the slightest sense.
It's easy to overlook fumbles when your offense is scoring lots of points and your defense are playing lights out.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the G.O.A.T. running backs held it tight:

Smith is no. 81 on the NFL Career Fumbles Leaders.

Barry Sanders also held it tight, much like Smith:

I'm not arguing pro/con here, but just mentioning examples for comparison.
Old 12-20-2011   #45
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Smith is no. 81 on the NFL Career Fumbles Leaders.

Barry Sanders also held it tight, much like Smith:

I'm not arguing pro/con here, but just mentioning examples for comparison.

Emmit Smith..............4409 carries>>>>>>>>38 fumbles (15 season)

Barry Sanders............3062 carries>>>>>>>>19 fumbles (10 seasons)
Old 12-20-2011   #46
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
It's easy to overlook fumbles when your offense is scoring lots of points and your defense are playing lights out.
It's easy to complain too. You don't even have to be right.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 300089 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Emmit Smith..............4409 carries>>>>>>>>38 fumbles (15 season)

Barry Sanders............3062 carries>>>>>>>>19 fumbles (10 seasons)
Those are pretty amazing numbers. Thanks for posting this info.
Old 12-20-2011   #48
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Yep. Emmitt rarely fumbled.

Which was why it was so amazing when the Oilers beat the Cowboys way back in 1991 thanks to an Emmitt Smith fumble in overtime.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011   #49
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's an incredible gif. Thanks for posting it.
Old 12-20-2011   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's easy to complain too. You don't even have to be right.
I fail to see what this jab added to this discussion. This thread is a discussion, isn't it? At least I thought was. I'll continue to read your posts as I enjoy your takes, whether they are affirming or presenting counter argument to mine.
Old 12-20-2011   #51
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Running backs will fumble the ball. Quarterbacks will throw interceptions. Texans will lose games. Perfection exists nowhere in the universe we inhabit, save for the minds of a few Texans' fans.
The Texans are winning now. Everyone is very excited and anyone who even vaguely appears to be rocking the boat need to STFU. Yeah, I get that mentality.

I love Arian Foster. He's a rare talent and seems like a great guy. I'm extremely pleased with his performance and have no room to complain. I am, in fact, not complaining.

I'm merely pointing out what I feel is an easily correctable flaw in his game.

While it's true that nobody is perfect, that shouldn't keep us from pursuing perfection. That's what the best coaches in history have done. I certainly hope the Texans coaches aren't so happy with what they've accomplished this year that they aren't taking the time to make small adjustments that could prevent a season-ending loss in the future.
Old 12-20-2011   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=304YwFYrbZ4

Hey folks, fast forward to about the 1:02(ish) mark.
Old 12-20-2011   #53
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone's style that Arian reminds me of...........

Eric Dickerson
Old 12-20-2011   #54
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
The Texans are winning now. Everyone is very excited and anyone who even vaguely appears to be rocking the boat need to STFU. Yeah, I get that mentality.

I love Arian Foster. He's a rare talent and seems like a great guy. I'm extremely pleased with his performance and have no room to complain. I am, in fact, not complaining.

I'm merely pointing out what I feel is an easily correctable flaw in his game.
Agree 100% with you until the bolded....

To the bolded... You don't change a thoroughbred's gate.
Old 12-20-2011   #55
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
You don't change a thoroughbred's gate.
I can see the reasoning in that perspective.

I just hope letting Arian be Arian doesn't wind up being the cause of a lot of broken hearts in Houston----and not just for the sake of the fans, but for his sake as well.
Old 12-20-2011   #56
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I can see the reasoning in that perspective.

I just hope letting Arian be Arian doesn't wind up being the cause of a lot of broken hearts in Houston----and not just for the sake of the fans, but for his sake as well.
Why stress yourself out about the small shit, BTW, it's all small shit.

Arian hasn't given us a Kevin Mack/Cleveland Brown moment (that's a modern reference ). Why assume he will?

*Disclaimer*
It's well documented that I am NOT a VY fan Boi, but:

Q: When did Texas with Vince Young at QB win a National Championship?

A: When Mack let VY be VY.
Old 12-20-2011   #57
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Why stress yourself out about the small shit, BTW, it's all small shit..
I'm not stressed. I'm on the couch with my laptop and my blood pressure is amazingly low, especially for someone who rarely engages in strenuous exercise.

But I'm not an NFL coach. I guarantee you there are no NFL coaches who believe you shouldn't sweat the small stuff. At least none who are going to be employed very long.

Again, while nobody is perfect and nobody ever will be, that shouldn't keep us from pursuing perfection relentlessly. The Raiders' motto says it all: Commitment to Excellence.

Yeah, the "let Vince be Vince" quote is very well known among Longhorn fans like me. That just meant that they stopped trying to turn Vince into a classic pocket passer and changed their offense to suit his skills. And, just between you and me, I think it also meant that they kind of dumbed things down a bit. ***sorry Vince!***

Obviously if changing the way Arian carries the ball is going to hurt his production, I'm not in favor of it. But I'm not buying that it would.

What I see when he's holding the ball away from his body by the palm of his hand is an accident waiting to happen. An accident that could easily be avoided.
Old 12-20-2011   #58
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I'm not stressed. I'm on the couch with my laptop and my blood pressure is amazingly low, especially for someone who rarely engages in strenuous exercise.

But I'm not an NFL coach. I guarantee you there are no NFL coaches who believe you shouldn't sweat the small stuff. At least none who are going to be employed very long.

Again, while nobody is perfect and nobody ever will be, that shouldn't keep us from pursuing perfection relentlessly. The Raiders' motto says it all: Commitment to Excellence.

Yeah, the "let Vince be Vince" quote is very well known among Longhorn fans like me. That just meant that they stopped trying to turn Vince into a classic pocket passer and changed their offense to suit his skills. And, just between you and me, I think it also meant that they kind of dumbed things down a bit. ***sorry Vince!***

Obviously if changing the way Arian carries the ball is going to hurt his production, I'm not in favor of it. But I'm not buying that it would.

What I see when he's holding the ball away from his body by the palm of his hand is an accident waiting to happen. An accident that could easily be avoided.
Obviously, you're set in your ways... We'll agree to disagree.

I've made several and I do mean several arguments dispelling your concerns, but in business, you are doing what we call "micro-managing".... Believe when I tell you that it never works out well...

In other words: Micro-management leads to ineffeciency and lack of production.

That said, I'm sure you'll find something else to over-analyze and that's fine. These boards are where you can do that......... Peace out!

*DONE*
Old 12-20-2011   #59
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
In other words: Micro-management leads to ineffeciency and lack of production.
Micromanagement can be a problem in the business world, you bet.

But Google the word micromanager and combine it with the name of any of the best coaches in NFL history and I guarantee you'll get loads of matches.

I just randomly Googled micromanager + bill belichick and came up with numerous pages labeling him that.

Old ball coach, Steve Spurrier, fizzled in the NFL because he's not a micromanager. He thought he could coach an NFL team the way he coaches his college teams and spend just as much time as ever on the golf course.

Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Gibbs. Big time micromanagers.

Really the only non-micromanager Super Bowl winning coach I can think of off the top of my head was Barry Switzer and he won with a team even I could have won with.
Old 12-21-2011   #60
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I fail to see what this jab added to this discussion. This thread is a discussion, isn't it? At least I thought was. I'll continue to read your posts as I enjoy your takes, whether they are affirming or presenting counter argument to mine.
Sorry Doc, didn't mean it as an attack. I think the counter argument here is pretty much a wall that goes 10,000 miles wide, 10,000 high and 10,000 miles deep. I feel like this is just somebody trying to light fires for no reason. Yeah, fumbles are a problem but just go over some of the points brought up here and tell me it doesn't seem like maybe, just maybe this is a bit of weak sauce:

-He was carrying the ball properly when he fumbled last game
-He gets more touches than anyone in the league
-He has only 3 listed fumbles which is fairly average, 2 fumbles coming early in the game where the team had plenty of time to overcome them
-He has elite production and much respect from his adversaries
-He has crazy jukes moves that involve his whole body
-Jacoby Jones is a terrible downfield blocker
-We are LUCKY to have this guy on our team, for all the diamond in the rough talk let's not forget how ROUGH it was with some of the guys we've seen here

Everyone has flaws. Tom Brady can't run. Dallas Clark can't block. Drew Brees is short. Perfection DOES NOT exist. So why complain about a guy who is only doing it 98% right?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read