Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2011   #1
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I Don't Like The Way Arian Carries The Ball

Am I the only one?

When I watch replays of him I have two thoughts:

(1) My God, what a special back. His moves are so fluid and effortless. It's like he's gliding.

and

(2) Dude, tuck that ball up close to your body!

I think it's a small miracle he hasn't fumbled the ball a hell of a lot more.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I Don't Like The Way Arian Carries The Ball

From the other thread on the subject of Foster -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Something I noticed on one of the replays of a second half Foster run was the way he was flailing his arm around in traffic .... only the hand and forearm making contact with the ball ..... It reminded me a whole lot of Jacoby Jones during his couple seasons ..... an accident waiting to happen.

I quoted myself

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #3
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57418 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Tate worries me a lot more than Arian. High and tight damnit, high and tight!
Old 12-18-2011   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 12-18-2011   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
yep

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-18-2011   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

They both need to go watch film of Tiki Barber as he changed from a fumbling machine to a VERY reliable carrier. I was a running back (not a very good one) and I can tell you from experience that you naturally tend to swing the ball out from your body. SEEMS to help with balance and to me seemed to help with my speed (heaven knows I needed all the help there I could get), but I think it is just a matter of gaining confidence in tucking it up tight to your chest in the crook of your arm. These guys can do it. I just hope they can get it done and confidence in it quickly. Nothing will bounce you from the playoffs faster than turn overs.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #7
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1945 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been saying this on the other MB for awhile....Foster swings the ball away from his body way too much, just asking for the ball to be knocked out, especially from behind. The bit*h of it is, he looked like he had a good hold on the ball when it was knocked out today in the first drive.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2011   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

And he's done it for years. It needs to stop.

Old 12-19-2011   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

3 to 1 John McLame does an article on this subject in the coming week.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-19-2011   #10
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
His sophomore season of 2006 saw a slight downturn in production, as Foster was limited for the majority of the season with injuries and missed games against Marshall and Memphis. Splitting time with LaMarcus Coker after returning from injury, Foster ended the season with just 322 rushing yards.[9] Tennessee's final game of the season was the 2007 Outback Bowl, in which Foster fumbled with ten minutes remaining deep in Penn State territory.[10] The ball was picked up by cornerback Tony Davis and returned 88 yards for a touchdown, breaking a 10-10 tie and providing the winning points in Penn State's 20-10 victory.
Quote:
His junior season of 2007 saw Foster take over as the main back, with Montario Hardesty coming in as a substitute. Against Florida, Foster fumbled a left-handed hand-off from injured quarterback Erik Ainge which was recovered by Gators linebacker Dustin Doe and returned eighteen yards for a touchdown.[12] Up to that point Tennessee had been gaining momentum and pulled to within eight points of tying the game, but the botched play made the score 35-20 and triggered a 24-point Florida run to close out the contest.
Quote:
Foster, who needs 422 yards to become Tennessee's all-time career rushing leader, was involved in a fumble at the goal line against Auburn where he didn't get the handoff cleanly from Crompton. The Tigers recovered for one of their two touchdowns.

Foster spent the second half of the Auburn game as the third-down back, and Hardesty was used as more of the feature back. Foster has been plagued by several costly fumbles during his career at Tennessee.
Arian, you're a world-class running back. Please fix this problem.
Old 12-19-2011   #11
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

young tiki barber lol but better lol
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #12
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Rep Power: 410 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not the most athletic guy, so maybe someone that is can shed some light. Don't you move faster when you allow your arms to move a bit? You don't see sprinters in the Olympics running with their arms stiff against their bodies. I bet it likely aides in balance as well.

I would imagine Foster would likely lose some of explosiveness if he was forcing himself to run in a way that was unnatural to him. A better bet would be to put an emphasis in recognizing when he can have the ball slightly out to facilitate movement, and when he needs to tuck it in tight. And work on transitioning from one to the other efficiently and quickly.

I haven't looked at his previous fumbles much, but the one against the Panthers seemed like it was just excellent defensive plays. I don't think it had anything to do with him not having a good enough grip on the ball.
Jaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the way Arian carries the ball.What has he had? TWO fumbles this year??
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #14
MadBurgerMaker
Rookie

Rep Power: 16 MadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I love the way Arian carries the ball.What has he had? TWO fumbles this year??
It's three or four. Not all that much, I guess, but it's been twice in two games now, yes? And early in the games, too, IIRC.
MadBurgerMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda give Foster the freedom to do whatever he wants. He for the most part takes care of the ball, and does some amazing stuff with the rock in his hands. Yes he has fumbled a few times this year, but his positive plays far and away outweigh them.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew of another running back that would hold the ball like a loaf of bread, too. He turned out pretty good.

The guy above had 17 fumbles in his first two seasons and was pretty dern good!! Arian Foster in basically two season has had 8. I'm not too worried about how he carries the ball.
Old 12-19-2011   #17
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Rep Power: 410 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I knew of another running back that would hold the ball like a loaf of bread, too. He turned out pretty good.

The guy above had 17 fumbles in his first two seasons and was pretty dern good!! Arian Foster in basically two season has had 8. I'm not too worried about how he carries the ball.
Love it! Repped.

I'd rather he do it now, get pissed at himself for it and stop it in the future. In the press conference after the game he said he had 3 lost fumbles last year, 3 so far this year, so he believes that it's done for the year. Doesn't want to disappoint the team anymore.
Jaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #18
RunTexans
Rookie

i think he'll be ok....
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #19
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

The way he carries the ball is part of his fluidity. It provides a lot of production, and each fumble is the price he must pay for it.

And I doubt it can be changed. The way Foster moves is a full-body coordination, like a dancer. It he tucks in the ball, you won't see the unconscious body control and nuance that makes him so successful.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #20
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Well this thread certainly took an unexpected turn. I'm sort of surprised to see so many posters shrugging off poor ball carrying technique.

I certainly hope, for Arian's sake, we don't lose a playoff game because of a fumble.

And for the record, just because some of the great running backs in NFL history were prolific yard gainers, that doesn't excuse carrying the ball like a loaf of bread. Some of the great ones also had a reputation for fumbling.

Walter Payton is second on the list of running backs in NFL history for fumbles with 86.

Eric Dickerson had 78 in a shorter career.

Dickerson's Fumble Is Costly, Houston Wins
September 05, 1988| From Times Wire Services

INDIANAPOLIS Eric Dickerson's fumble gave the Houston Oilers another chance, and Tony Zendejas atoned for two earlier misses with a 35-yard field goal in overtime to beat the Indianapolis Colts, 17-14, Sunday.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read