Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Shockey calls out Texans - they don't love America!

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
Anyone hear Shockey's post game comments? He said we had about 12 players crossing their arms during the Anthem before the game.

He went on and on about it.

Funny thing is, this isn't the first time this has been brought up. :texflag:

BullBlitz

Section 331
Anyone hear Shockey's post game comments? He said we had about 12 players crossing their arms during the Anthem before the game.

Although it's kind of annoying coming from Shockey, if I were Mr. McNair I would correct this.

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
Although it's kind of annoying coming from Shockey, if I were Mr. McNair I would correct this.
I agree! It's been reported more than once, twice, three times.

Having had a kid in the Navy and knowing how much they respect that flag, brings it home a little more for me.

Dishman

Miss Ya Blue

When else did this go down in the past? And screw Shockey.

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
First I've heard of this. What is this all about?
We (the team) have been called out by not standing "at full attention" during the National Anthem several times.

Shockey went on this evening about how it's disrespectful, blah, blah, blah.

Problem is, he's RIGHT! Never in a straight line, never at full attention.

As someone who gets a little misty eyed every time (I am a girl after all) they play that anthem, it bugs me.

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
As someone who gets a little misty eyed every time (I am a girl after all) they play that anthem, it bugs me.
I'm pretty sure this isn't a gender-specific phenomenon. My allergies always seem to flare up when the National Anthem gets played. It's the damndest thing...

I believe in every American's right to act however the hell they want during the National Anthem, but not people that represent my business interests. I agree that McNair should put his foot in someone's ass over this.

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
Link

Jeremy Shockey had a reason for his obnoxious (un-penalized) taunting after his touchdown reception on Sunday. Or at least a reason he gave reporters.

Apparently, the Carolina tight end thought the host Texans didn’t show proper respect toward America in the pregame festivities.

Shockey told reporters that he was upset some of the Texans did not place their hands on their hearts during the National Anthem before the Panthers’ 28-13 victory at Reliant Stadium.

Shockey scored on a 9-yard touchdown pass from Cam Newton in the second quarter. He broke tackles by DeMeco Ryans and Jason Allen to reach the end zone, then got in their faces and taunted them.

It gave the Panthers a 14-0 lead in their 28-13 victory.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
I don't have a problem with it. They're allowed to stand anyway they want during the anthem.
Agree, if a person wants to be a disrespectful ass during the anthem, it is indeed their right. No disrespect or sarcasm intended there, Sam. Just the way I feel. :)

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Says a lot about the team's attitude pre-game. Arms crossed tells me that they weren't taking the other team seriously or the moment.

AnthonyE

Lurker
I think Shockey's a loudmouth punk who was ousted by 2 different teams for his attitude. He just wants to be back in the spotlight like his glory days 6+ years ago.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Luv ya Kimmy.

But as US citizens, we have the right to disagree with our government. Personally, I don't think the Texans players are making a political statement here, they're just being football players. Most of whom are making a thousand times as much as they would if they had to actually work for living. This is much ado about nothing as I see it.

cdollaz

Rookie
Of course, the only way he would know is if he himself was being disrespectful and watching the other team instead of having his eyes fixed on the flag. Look in the mirror, jackass.

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
Luv ya Kimmy.

But as US citizens, we have the right to disagree with our government. Personally, I don't think the Texans players are making a political statement here, they're just being football players. Most of whom are making a thousand times as much as they would if they had to actually work for living. This is much ado about nothing as I see it.
Luv Ya Too, you dirty old man :)

I agree, as much as it is their right not to respect the flag, it's as much my right to be annoyed by it.

It didn't really bother me till my daughter entered the Navy. We were lucky enough to attend a "tiger cruise" on her carrier. Watching all those soldiers stop and salute the flag before they came aboard really changed my way of thinking :) :worldpeace:

cdollaz

Rookie
Oh, and no story here. People show respect in different ways. I don't put my hand over my heart either.

I agree, as much as it is their right not to respect the flag, it's as much my right to be annoyed by it.

It didn't really bother me till my daughter entered the Navy. We were lucky enough to attend a "tiger cruise" on her carrier. Watching all those soldiers stop and salute the flag before they came aboard really changed my way of thinking :) :worldpeace:
You're required to when you cross the quarterdeck. This includes quarterdecks that are ashore. :)

Also sailors, not soldiers! :cutthroat: ;)

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
I imagine players are contractually held to a standard of conduct -- either by the teams or the league. So if there's really a problem it will be handled by Mr. McNair or Goodell.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man

Serving our country is good. I did, and I'm glad I did. It allows me a freedom of thought that when I believe our nation is on the wrong track, I can call them out on it not only because it's my right, but also because I gave them a part of my life. I know where you are coming from, and it disturbing that some don't get it. Don't lose your thoughts because of others, just keep in mind that a nation of millions of folks don't all think alike.

And thanks to your daughter for her service. We should all serve our country in one manner or another at some point. The price of freedom is high. You only need ask the continent that contains Russia, China and the Arab countries that one. Those folks are pretty screwed up when it comes to freedom.

burro

probably drunk
Regardless of how you feel about the anthem/how our players act during it, it should be pretty obvious that Shockey was talking smack because Shockey is a pompous dong-smoker. Lame excuse, bro.

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
I imagine players are contractually held to a standard of conduct -- either by the teams or the league. So if there's really a problem it will be handled by Mr. McNair or Goodell.
Required, yes, but she loved it.

And yes, Sailors :facepalm: I was trying so hard not to type seamen ;)

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send e-mails to the Texans and the League. Supposedly he flipped off fans. But I did see him do a blatant crotch grab near the north endzone with about 6:55 left in the game (to the fans).

He had been gesturing to the crowd most of the game, but to me, he should be fined for that. RIGHT in front of a ref who shrugged it off.

If someone can find photos or have it on the DVR....

Hervoyel

BUENO!
I'm not worried about Shockey, he's just being himself. I'm worried about the Texans. Thursday we get to see whether or not we're in a protracted funk or not. Thursday can't get here soon enough.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
If Shockey was being a devote patriot he wouldn't have been able to notice what are guys were doing.

Unacceptable. And hiding behind some patriotism line for his stupid behavior is just as reasonable as people using religion to justify acts of war. I actually can't believe he didn't draw a penalty for it, how that doesn't qualify as excessive celebration is beyond me. I think some people might remember when the Saints came to town for the training camp a few years ago Shockey and Demeco got into it in the middle of practice. I don't think it would be much to say Jerome Shockey or whatever is a big enough man to let it go. That's the thing about "Amurica" Jeremiah or whatever, we have the right to say and do whatever we like, that's the priveledge. The responsibility, sir, is knowing WHAT to say and HOW to act.

ACT like you've been there before. I think anyone who pays attention to football knows it would be a pretty stunning performance if you pulled off being proffessional.

hot pickle

Canada Eh
shockey is just made cause ryans punched him in his loud mouth acouple years back during saints-texans practice. i dunno if anyone recalls this, but i sure do

Shockey is a huge POS.

Aside from the taunting on his TD catch and the flipping off of and assorted other obscene gesturing to our fans, on the sidelines he took a water bottle and mimicked pissing on our field!

If that ***hole is lucky enough to get picked up by a team for 2012, I hope it is someone in our division. I'd love to see Demeco, Cush, Connor, and the boys teach him a lesson.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I agree! It's been reported more than once, twice, three times.

Having had a kid in the Navy and knowing how much they respect that flag, brings it home a little more for me.
Shockey needs to :zipit:

I respect the job our armed forces do ...

That said I believe our govt mis-uses them. All these "Wars" and for what ?
These wars arent about suppressing plans of world domination from people like Hitler , General Hideki Tojo or the Viet Cong .... We have since dismantled Democratic Govt's and replacing them with dictatorships ..... Fighting for natural resources , not democracy .... Fighting for special interest groups in America to profit off of the blood of our children.

Im not all that proud of this country right now .... 9% unemployment , debt up to our eyeballs in reported govt debt of $15trillion .... but the truth is we are $116trillion in debt.

A govt that is begining to rival that of Mexico in its corruption ..... :rake:

Kids dont even say the pledge in school anymore ..... and we wonder why that flag and what it represents isnt as respected as it once was. :thinking:

Last edited:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I agree, it is their right to disrespect as much as they want on their own time, but considering they represent an organization in the media spot light, they lose that freedom during "business hours" (are highly compensated for the loss of such freedoms) they look bad the team looks bad.

I do think if you can't respect what this country has given to you (especially if you are a player in the NFL) and the freedom it stands for (the ideals are still there, gov. is what wants to take it away) and can't find it in yourself to show respect if for no other reason than the men and women that have fought died or seen friends die in service of this country, you have some serious issues. (Unless you aren't from here, then you should still go through the motions as a sign of courtesy for the host. IMO)

I do agree you can show your respect in different ways (Head down as if in prayer etc.) so IF true I would be more concerned with their demeanor over were their hands were.

Texn4life

All Pro
I'm really torn on this issue. On one hand I'm one of those guys who takes his hat off during the national anthem, and stands up with his right hand over his heart. I also get annoyed when people around me are talking, or being what I consider disrespectful while it's playing.

Now........ in saying that we do live in a country where every person should be free to express themselves however they would like within the requirements of the law. 2 examples of this come to mind. NBA player Chris Jackson aka Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf caused a big stir in 1996 for his refusal to stand and was suspended for it for a game. The league realized that there were issues with the suspension and decided to come to a compromise with Abdul-Rauf standing, closing his eyes, and looking down while the anthem was being played.

The other was the 1968 Olympics where gold medalists Juan Carlos and Tommie Smith raised their fists in a demonstration of unjust human rights during our National Anthem after they won. Both acts are famous in their own right and I'm sure the Texans players involved are not trying to make a statement like these 2 situations. They're free to stand and act however they'd like to in regards to the law. However, Bob McNair is just as free to cut their butts if they don't show the proper amount of respect to the flag as he would like. If the owner wants this taken care of then it will.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
at this point in time i dont really like america either no pride in it is what i mean

imatexan

All Pro
at this point in time i dont really like america either no pride in it is what i mean
Understandable, someone who is not intelligent enough to type a sentence probably would not "like" America or even understand your freedom.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Then get the hell out. I'll send you a few hundred bucks for a one-way ticket to wherever the **** you want.

Disgusting. Add another one to the list.
So you are Ok with the current state of America ?

:thinking:

Dont send me money , just a one way first class ticket to the Cook Islands .....

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
So you are Ok with the current state of America ?

:thinking:

Dont send me money , just a one way first class ticket to the Cook Islands .....

I'm proud of this country no matter which dumb****s are leading us.

But this isn't the proper venue for this discussion, and suffice it to say I wouldn't discuss it in the NSZ either.

So yeah, **** Jeremy Shockey for all his transgressions. But. McNair or somebody else needs to tell these dumbass players how to stand properly during the anthem.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Gov. and country are two separate entities.

I LOVE my country but I HATE the Gov. (politicians) that are raping it.

No matter how much the Gov. drives this country to the ground I will ALWAYS be proud of my country even if the leaders are shameful.

Wolf

100% Texan
(on his touchdown catch) “It was a simple play and I guess what’s his name, Ryans, DeMeco Ryans, what’s his name? DeMeco Ryans couldn’t make the play and it was an easy touchdown. Again, this offense in my opinion is very hard to learn and as a defensive player you have to be on or someone will be open as I was and Cam [Newton] did a good job of finding people open.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Postgame-quotes-Texans-vs-Panthers/d19693a3-f804-46ea-b57d-2a9b9c998eb5

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Gov. and country are two separate entities.

I LOVE my country but I HATE the Gov. (politicians) that are raping it.

No matter how much the Gov. drives this country to the ground I will ALWAYS be proud of my country even if the leaders are shameful.
Good post - pretty much how I feel about the entire situation as well .....

As for those bitching and complaining about the expresion of opinion & thoughts of others - Dont forget that one of those rights we fight for and stand for is freedom of speech ..... :pirate:

Dont Tread On Me!

luvdatsteelblu

Practice Squad
Freedom of speech and expression is one of the cornerstone's of our constitution. Its not like they were sitting for the anthem. Silent protest perhaps... and Shockey probably brought it up to deflect questions about his sophmore behavior thru out the game.

imatexan

All Pro
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jeremy-Shockey-didn-t-like-the-way-Texans-stood-?urn=nfl-wp14153

What a terrible sports writer.

From the article:
"Jeremy Shockey didn't like the way a few Houston Texans players were standing during the national anthem on Sunday and, being Jeremy Shockey, he wasn't shy about sharing his feelings with his opponents.
"I was pretty upset in the way [Texans players] weren't showing respect to America during the national anthem," the Panthers tight end told SportsRadio 610. "There were about 10 players that didn't put their arms across their chest.
"This is America. You should at least respect America."
Shockey later said he told a few of the players about his feeling during the game, yet didn't elaborate on what he said.
A quick look at some image archives shows that the Texans are far from alone in not standing with their hands on their hearts. Here are two, of random shots of Eagles and Titans players during the anthem, and only a few are standing in a pose that would please Shockey. I'd imagine it's the same situation with every single team around the NFL.
As the proud brother of a West Point graduate, I've seen how men and women should stand during the anthem and have found myself increasingly annoyed in recent years by the lack of respect people show during it. But complaining about it is like spitting into the wind.
Frankly, the players are the least of the problem. At least they tend to stand still and respectfully. In the stands it's a different story. There are people cheering before the anthem is over, shouting out words like "Oh!" and "red!" to support their teams, checking their phones and people wearing hats everywhere. I appreciate Shockey standing up for what he believes, yet can't help but think it's a cause long ago lost.
And, dude, if you think a few guys standing around without their hands over their heart is bad, go to Chicago. That's where they scream their heads off during the singing of the anthem and try to pass it off as patriotism."