Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Number one seed is still possible

Lurvinator11

Veteran
I am playing on the playoff machine right now.

It is still possible for us to get that number 1 seed

Basicly we would need to win our last 2 games of course. Beat Indy and Tennesse.

We would also need Baltimore to lose to San Diago tonight, New England to lose to Denver today, and Pittsburgh to lose to San Fran tommorrow.

This is all very possible to happen seeming that all three teams are on the road.

Because of our confrence win percentage, we will get the tie breaker. So if all three of those teams lose THIS WEEK, and we win our next TWO games, The Houston Texans will enter the playoffs as the number one seed!

I really don't think that is what the Texans are thinking

My point was if we all finish with the same record i believe we would only get the #3 seed, and being a game ahead we would control whether we get the top seed or not

Edit: As Thorn pointed out we lost to a NFC team, if the Patriots lose i think we would have a tie breaker due to a better conference record if we win our last 2 games.

My point was if we all finish with the same record i believe we would only get the #3 seed

Which wouldnt be ALL bad.

Probably get Steelers at home, then go to NE (who cant stop my dead granny from running the ball) then come home for the Denver tebows.

Wouldn't it help if the Steelers won? I ask because that would put them ahead in winning their division right?

It would help if you wanted the texans to settle for the 2 seed. Basicly if Pittsburgh wins tonight, they will most likely win out since they play the rams and the browns. Then they will own the number one seed with the best record.

If pitt loses, the the seeding will look like this (pending the texans win our last 2 games)

1. Houston
2. Baltimore
3. New England
4. Denver
5. Pittsburgh
6. New York Jets

It would help if you wanted the texans to settle for the 2 seed. Basicly if Pittsburgh wins tonight, they will most likely win out since they play the rams and the browns. Then they will own the number one seed with the best record.

If pitt loses, the the seeding will look like this (pending the texans win our last 2 games)

1. Houston
2. Baltimore
3. New England
4. Denver
5. Pittsburgh
6. New York Jets

Oh ok and that scenario plays out if the Ravens and Pats lose too?

Pittsburgh will probably win out.

SF
StLouis
Cleveland

They'll finish 13-3 at best, we'll finish 12-4

I don;'t think Tebow is gonna get it done for us today. Although he may troll the world yet again.

I'm not sure how anyone can say our next 2 games are W's after watching today's game. Let's just hope we don't go into the playoffs on a losing streak. Yates came down to Earth today

I'm not sure how anyone can say our next 2 games are W's after watching today's game. Let's just hope we don't go into the playoffs on a losing streak. Yates came down to Earth today

every team has a bad day, the saints lost their last 3 regular season games the season they won the superbowl, and they werent resting starters.

we can still get a first round bye. there is 2 more games left. The way this seasons been going dont be suprised if there is a lot of upsets in the next 2 weeks. just hope that it isnt us again :toropalm:

It's not necessary that NE and Balt lose TODAY, only that they lose one of the next 3 games (as I write this, one of the next 2 for NE). If we were going to lose one of our final three games, today's game was the one to choose. Balt and NE play 3 games against AFC opponents, so any loss by them, in any of the three games, pulls them even with us in the win-loss column, and WORSE than us in the conference-wins column. We also need Pit to lose any game so they tie with us.

If Bal and NE lose a game, we win out, and PIT wins out, I believe we are still the #2 seed.

This is all from studied memory, so I'll verify and get back.

Last edited:
It's not necessary that NE and Balt lose TODAY, only that they lose one of the next 3 games (as I write this, one of the next 2 for NE). If we were going to lose one of our final three games, today's game was the one to choose. Balt and NE play 3 games against AFC opponents, so any loss by them, in any of the three games, pulls them even with us in the win-loss column, and WORSE than us in the conference-wins column. We also need Pit to lose any game so they tie with us.

If Bal and NE lose a game, we win out, and PIT wins out, I believe we are still the #2 seed.

This is all from studied memory, so I'll verify and get back.

You're right on the money here. If we win out and Bal and Pitt lose a game then we get the #2 seed. This week just turns out to be perfect opportunities for losses because of who they play. Big Ben and Baltimore are both banged up. Wouldn't be surprised to see us as the number 2 seed after this week at all.

The number 1 seed I think is out of the question. NE has 2 home games against Miami and Buffalo. No way they lose one of those games.

You're right on the money here. If we win out and Bal and Pitt lose a game then we get the #2 seed. This week just turns out to be perfect opportunities for losses because of who they play. Big Ben and Baltimore are both banged up. Wouldn't be surprised to see us as the number 2 seed after this week at all.

The number 1 seed I think is out of the question. NE has 2 home games against Miami and Buffalo. No way they lose one of those games.

never know with the bills man, and dont forget Miami has been kicking some ass lately man.

never know with the bills man, and dont forget Miami has been kicking some ass lately man.

Miami did get smashed by the Eagles last week, but I know where you're coming from. I would love it if it happened though trust me. I would love it even more if our offense got in a rhythm before the end of the year without turning the ball over so freaking much. Our turnover ratio doesn't look nearly as good as it did 2 games ago. We went from +11 to +5 in 2 weeks. Have to change that immediately.

Miami did get smashed by the Eagles last week, but I know where you're coming from. I would love it if it happened though trust me. I would love it even more if our offense got in a rhythm before the end of the year without turning the ball over so freaking much. Our turnover ratio doesn't look nearly as good as it did 2 games ago. We went from +11 to +5 in 2 weeks. Have to change that immediately.

yeah i agree, T.J can make all the right throws it appears to me he is trying to do to much and turning the ball over. i mean hell foster had over 100 yards in just over a half of football. To me this goes back to play calling. We cant get in the position to where we have to put the game on T.Js sholders. If we control the game on the ground like we CAN i think this will help T.J a lot. We are not in the position our have the weapons (WITH AJ OUT) to make yates a 400 yard a game passer

yeah i agree, T.J can make all the right throws it appears to me he is trying to do to much and turning the ball over. i mean hell foster had over 100 yards in just over a half of football. To me this goes back to play calling. We cant get in the position to where we have to put the game on T.Js sholders. If we control the game on the ground like we CAN i think this will help T.J a lot. We are not in the position our have the weapons (WITH AJ OUT) to make yates a 400 yard a game passer

Yeah, we've been putting our defense in some terrible positions this year field position wise on turnovers. The only way the Colts beat us if we give them the rock in position to score. I said the same thing about the Panthers and they scored 14 points off of turnovers working off short fields. The game almost in a nutshell. Our seeding lives rest on us controlling the ball and playing great D. The formula is there. Our guys have to go out and execute it.

Wouldn't it help if the Steelers won? I ask because that would put them ahead in winning their division right?

That's partially correct.... A Pittsburgh win tomorrow and a Ravens loss tonight means the Steelers take the AFCN lead with a 11-3 record and the Ravens become the #1 wild card with a 10-4 record.

However, that still leaves Pittsburgh and New England with 11 wins and therefore owning the top two seeds.

We'd have to win the last two games - which is doable - and Pittsburgh and Baltimore would have to lose one more of their last two - not sure about that happening - for us to move back up to one of the top two seeds.

We really shot ourselves in the foot today.

Now we need the 49ers to do their part tomorrow and (assuming the Texans win two) we've got #2!

the pats could easily lose, we could still get the #1 seed. it is far fetched but with the way things have been going for us, i figure the football gods need to pay us back somehow :)

we can still get a first round bye. there is 2 more games left. The way this seasons been going dont be suprised if there is a lot of upsets in the next 2 weeks. just hope that it isnt us again :toropalm:

I don't want a first round bye anyway. I'd rather have more games.

Now we need the 49ers to do their part tomorrow and (assuming the Texans win two) we've got #2!

Actually this is NOT correct. According to the ESPN playoff machine, if the Steelers were to lose tomorrow we all sit at 12-4 (assuming we win out) and Pats finish 13-3. Pats have 1 seed with RAVENS as 2 still, not sure why, but they do. Steelers get 5th seed and we take 3rd seed. We NEED Patriots to lose one of their next games in order to gain a bye and this would actually give us the 1 seed.

Bottom line is....Pit needs to lose one(most likely this week vs. Niners) and the Patriots need to lose one of the next two. Both will be hard, but doable. This is all assuming Ravens win out and we win out. If Ravens lose AGAIN, everything changes in our favor and if we lose again everything changes.

I am playing on the playoff machine right now.

It is still possible for us to get that number 1 seed

Basicly we would need to win our last 2 games of course. Beat Indy and Tennesse.

We would also need Baltimore to lose to San Diago tonight, New England to lose to Denver today, and Pittsburgh to lose to San Fran tommorrow.

This is all very possible to happen seeming that all three teams are on the road.

Because of our confrence win percentage, we will get the tie breaker. So if all three of those teams lose THIS WEEK, and we win our next TWO games, The Houston Texans will enter the playoffs as the number one seed!

We'll be the #3 seed, book it.

more then likely we will be playing in the first round. it would be nice to capture the bye but doesnt look like it will happen with the New England win today.

Actually this is NOT correct. According to the ESPN playoff machine, if the Steelers were to lose tomorrow we all sit at 12-4 (assuming we win out) and Pats finish 13-3. Pats have 1 seed with RAVENS as 2 still, not sure why, but they do. Steelers get 5th seed and we take 3rd seed. We NEED Patriots to lose one of their next games in order to gain a bye and this would actually give us the 1 seed. .

I believe the division winner have to be determined BEFORE the seeding takes place. Thus if Baltimore wins the division, they beat us in the head to head for the #2 spot. We need Pitt to win the division with the same or worse record than us OR we need NE to drop a game so we all (NE, Bal, Hou) have the same record. We would get the #1 seed since we would have the best conference record.

OK heres the deal , if the Pats do not lose one more game and the steelers do. and houston and balt win out. heres how it will look,

Pats 1 seed
Ravens 2 seed
Houston 3 seed
Steelers 5 seed.

Reasoning is that pats win on Record. Balt gtes the 2 seed due to first tie breaker of head to head. Now if there is a 3 way tie. IE NE loses a game and Pitt loses a game and Houston and Balt win out it will be a 3 way tie which excludes the head to head and goes to the second tie breaker of conference wins which will put the seeding like this.

Houston 1 seed
Balt 2 seed(Bal beats pats on strength of victory)
Pats 3 seed
Steelers 5 seed.

Personally i dont think that pitt beats SF this evening and i really feel that NE will lose one to Miami. so if we can win out the AFC will go thru houston!

Last edited:
Despite yesterday's loss, I'm pumped that we are still talking about how to get the #1 seed in the AFC instead of trying to figure out who we are going to draft in 2012.

Personally, I am not worrying about our chances of getting the top 2 seeds. I have very little faith that the Texans will even win their final 2 games. Let alone get the Ravens or Pats to lose 1 more.

Would I like a first round bye? Of course. I would also like to hit the lottery. But the odds are stacked against me/us in both.

Actually this is NOT correct. According to the ESPN playoff machine, if the Steelers were to lose tomorrow we all sit at 12-4 (assuming we win out) and Pats finish 13-3. Pats have 1 seed with RAVENS as 2 still, not sure why, but they do. Steelers get 5th seed and we take 3rd seed. We NEED Patriots to lose one of their next games in order to gain a bye and this would actually give us the 1 seed.

Bottom line is....Pit needs to lose one(most likely this week vs. Niners) and the Patriots need to lose one of the next two. Both will be hard, but doable. This is all assuming Ravens win out and we win out. If Ravens lose AGAIN, everything changes in our favor and if we lose again everything changes.

I don't know how I was forgetting about the head-to-head factor with the Ravens. In a 3 way tie we would be ahead of them, but if there isn't one then they get the edge. Oh well, they'll be heading into a crazy environment the last week of the season with the Bengals battling to get into the playoffs so hopefully they'll play like they have all year on the road.

Personally, I am not worrying about our chances of getting the top 2 seeds. I have very little faith that the Texans will even win their final 2 games. Let alone get the Ravens or Pats to lose 1 more.

Would I like a first round bye? Of course. I would also like to hit the lottery. But the odds are stacked against me/us in both.

Seriously??
After yesterday's wake up call, I doubt they sleepwalk thru the next two games.

I worry that playoff inexperience - playoff teams go into a whole new gear - will result in us being one & done.

Hopefully the Bengals will put it on them Jan 1

It's possible.
San Diego showed that the Ravens have issues against the deep ball. And if you can keep Suggs out of your QBs face, they can be had.
Flacco ain't the best come-from-behind QB in the league either.

...it's possible.
:texflag:

It's possible.
San Diego showed that the Ravens have issues against the deep ball. And if you can keep Suggs out of your QBs face, they can be had.
Flacco ain't the best come-from-behind QB in the league either.

...it's possible.
:texflag:

Yeah, and the Ravens have simply not been a good road team. They're under .500 right now, and if they lose to Cincy, their road record will be 3-5.

I don't understand this.
I'd rather have our guys get a week off to heal up. Let whoever comes to visit us get beat up an extra week.

Not only that, but we'll have a better chance at 2 home games & being that homefield advantage.

I'm feeling like Aj, wishing I could be there & do more to help my team.

Not only that, but we'll have a better chance at 2 home games & being that homefield advantage.

I'm feeling like Aj, wishing I could be there & do more to help my team.

I want a bye too. As much as I like Caldwell I'd much rather have a healthy Briesel in the lineup.

TK...... You remember thinking I was crazy when I said 9-7 could get that last wild card spot? Not looking too crazy now am I? Even the Chargers have a shot at getting in. Its pretty crazy. And that is not a team I want to see if we were to get the 3 seed by the way.

Back