Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-18-2011   #21
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Number one seed is still possible

we can still get a first round bye. there is 2 more games left. The way this seasons been going dont be suprised if there is a lot of upsets in the next 2 weeks. just hope that it isnt us again
Old 12-18-2011   #22
CharloTex
Veteran

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 15991 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not necessary that NE and Balt lose TODAY, only that they lose one of the next 3 games (as I write this, one of the next 2 for NE). If we were going to lose one of our final three games, today's game was the one to choose. Balt and NE play 3 games against AFC opponents, so any loss by them, in any of the three games, pulls them even with us in the win-loss column, and WORSE than us in the conference-wins column. We also need Pit to lose any game so they tie with us.

If Bal and NE lose a game, we win out, and PIT wins out, I believe we are still the #2 seed.

This is all from studied memory, so I'll verify and get back.

Last edited by CharloTex; 12-18-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: grammar
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #23
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharloTex View Post
It's not necessary that NE and Balt lose TODAY, only that they lose one of the next 3 games (as I write this, one of the next 2 for NE). If we were going to lose one of our final three games, today's game was the one to choose. Balt and NE play 3 games against AFC opponents, so any loss by them, in any of the three games, pulls them even with us in the win-loss column, and WORSE than us in the conference-wins column. We also need Pit to lose any game so they tie with us.

If Bal and NE lose a game, we win out, and PIT wins out, I believe we are still the #2 seed.

This is all from studied memory, so I'll verify and get back.
You're right on the money here. If we win out and Bal and Pitt lose a game then we get the #2 seed. This week just turns out to be perfect opportunities for losses because of who they play. Big Ben and Baltimore are both banged up. Wouldn't be surprised to see us as the number 2 seed after this week at all.

The number 1 seed I think is out of the question. NE has 2 home games against Miami and Buffalo. No way they lose one of those games.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #24
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
I really don't think that is what the Texans are thinking
It should have been.
Old 12-18-2011   #25
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
You're right on the money here. If we win out and Bal and Pitt lose a game then we get the #2 seed. This week just turns out to be perfect opportunities for losses because of who they play. Big Ben and Baltimore are both banged up. Wouldn't be surprised to see us as the number 2 seed after this week at all.

The number 1 seed I think is out of the question. NE has 2 home games against Miami and Buffalo. No way they lose one of those games.
never know with the bills man, and dont forget Miami has been kicking some ass lately man.
Old 12-18-2011   #26
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
never know with the bills man, and dont forget Miami has been kicking some ass lately man.
Miami did get smashed by the Eagles last week, but I know where you're coming from. I would love it if it happened though trust me. I would love it even more if our offense got in a rhythm before the end of the year without turning the ball over so freaking much. Our turnover ratio doesn't look nearly as good as it did 2 games ago. We went from +11 to +5 in 2 weeks. Have to change that immediately.
Old 12-18-2011   #27
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Miami did get smashed by the Eagles last week, but I know where you're coming from. I would love it if it happened though trust me. I would love it even more if our offense got in a rhythm before the end of the year without turning the ball over so freaking much. Our turnover ratio doesn't look nearly as good as it did 2 games ago. We went from +11 to +5 in 2 weeks. Have to change that immediately.
yeah i agree, T.J can make all the right throws it appears to me he is trying to do to much and turning the ball over. i mean hell foster had over 100 yards in just over a half of football. To me this goes back to play calling. We cant get in the position to where we have to put the game on T.Js sholders. If we control the game on the ground like we CAN i think this will help T.J a lot. We are not in the position our have the weapons (WITH AJ OUT) to make yates a 400 yard a game passer
Old 12-18-2011   #28
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
yeah i agree, T.J can make all the right throws it appears to me he is trying to do to much and turning the ball over. i mean hell foster had over 100 yards in just over a half of football. To me this goes back to play calling. We cant get in the position to where we have to put the game on T.Js sholders. If we control the game on the ground like we CAN i think this will help T.J a lot. We are not in the position our have the weapons (WITH AJ OUT) to make yates a 400 yard a game passer
Yeah, we've been putting our defense in some terrible positions this year field position wise on turnovers. The only way the Colts beat us if we give them the rock in position to score. I said the same thing about the Panthers and they scored 14 points off of turnovers working off short fields. The game almost in a nutshell. Our seeding lives rest on us controlling the ball and playing great D. The formula is there. Our guys have to go out and execute it.
Old 12-18-2011   #29
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajoker View Post
Wouldn't it help if the Steelers won? I ask because that would put them ahead in winning their division right?
That's partially correct.... A Pittsburgh win tomorrow and a Ravens loss tonight means the Steelers take the AFCN lead with a 11-3 record and the Ravens become the #1 wild card with a 10-4 record.

However, that still leaves Pittsburgh and New England with 11 wins and therefore owning the top two seeds.

We'd have to win the last two games - which is doable - and Pittsburgh and Baltimore would have to lose one more of their last two - not sure about that happening - for us to move back up to one of the top two seeds.

We really shot ourselves in the foot today.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #30
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

well the chargers are whippin the ravens right now thats some help.
Old 12-18-2011   #31
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well the chargers are whippin the ravens right now thats some help.
Now we need the 49ers to do their part tomorrow and (assuming the Texans win two) we've got #2!
Old 12-18-2011   #32
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Now we need the 49ers to do their part tomorrow and (assuming the Texans win two) we've got #2!
the pats could easily lose, we could still get the #1 seed. it is far fetched but with the way things have been going for us, i figure the football gods need to pay us back somehow
Old 12-18-2011   #33
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffs...05&16=00415010

Final AFC playoff standings.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #34
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
we can still get a first round bye. there is 2 more games left. The way this seasons been going dont be suprised if there is a lot of upsets in the next 2 weeks. just hope that it isnt us again
I don't want a first round bye anyway. I'd rather have more games.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #35
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Actually this is NOT correct. According to the ESPN playoff machine, if the Steelers were to lose tomorrow we all sit at 12-4 (assuming we win out) and Pats finish 13-3. Pats have 1 seed with RAVENS as 2 still, not sure why, but they do. Steelers get 5th seed and we take 3rd seed. We NEED Patriots to lose one of their next games in order to gain a bye and this would actually give us the 1 seed.

Bottom line is....Pit needs to lose one(most likely this week vs. Niners) and the Patriots need to lose one of the next two. Both will be hard, but doable. This is all assuming Ravens win out and we win out. If Ravens lose AGAIN, everything changes in our favor and if we lose again everything changes.
Old 12-18-2011   #36
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
I am playing on the playoff machine right now.

It is still possible for us to get that number 1 seed

Basicly we would need to win our last 2 games of course. Beat Indy and Tennesse.

We would also need Baltimore to lose to San Diago tonight, New England to lose to Denver today, and Pittsburgh to lose to San Fran tommorrow.

This is all very possible to happen seeming that all three teams are on the road.

Because of our confrence win percentage, we will get the tie breaker. So if all three of those teams lose THIS WEEK, and we win our next TWO games, The Houston Texans will enter the playoffs as the number one seed!
We'll be the #3 seed, book it.
Old 12-18-2011   #37
ADTpaul
ADT Security

Rep Power: 35 ADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respected

more then likely we will be playing in the first round. it would be nice to capture the bye but doesnt look like it will happen with the New England win today.
ADTpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #38
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

hey ravens lost!!! sooooooo????
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #39
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46286 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Actually this is NOT correct. According to the ESPN playoff machine, if the Steelers were to lose tomorrow we all sit at 12-4 (assuming we win out) and Pats finish 13-3. Pats have 1 seed with RAVENS as 2 still, not sure why, but they do. Steelers get 5th seed and we take 3rd seed. We NEED Patriots to lose one of their next games in order to gain a bye and this would actually give us the 1 seed. .
I believe the division winner have to be determined BEFORE the seeding takes place. Thus if Baltimore wins the division, they beat us in the head to head for the #2 spot. We need Pitt to win the division with the same or worse record than us OR we need NE to drop a game so we all (NE, Bal, Hou) have the same record. We would get the #1 seed since we would have the best conference record.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #40
Oz Texan
Rookie

Rep Power: 125 Oz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOz Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

OK heres the deal , if the Pats do not lose one more game and the steelers do. and houston and balt win out. heres how it will look,

Pats 1 seed
Ravens 2 seed
Houston 3 seed
Steelers 5 seed.

Reasoning is that pats win on Record. Balt gtes the 2 seed due to first tie breaker of head to head. Now if there is a 3 way tie. IE NE loses a game and Pitt loses a game and Houston and Balt win out it will be a 3 way tie which excludes the head to head and goes to the second tie breaker of conference wins which will put the seeding like this.

Houston 1 seed
Balt 2 seed(Bal beats pats on strength of victory)
Pats 3 seed
Steelers 5 seed.

Personally i dont think that pitt beats SF this evening and i really feel that NE will lose one to Miami. so if we can win out the AFC will go thru houston!

Last edited by Oz Texan; 12-19-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Oz Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read