Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Just re-watched NO, Pitt, Balt, and...

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Mario Williams stinks!!

Wow! I know that I have a reputation in this arena. However, I have argued that I wish Mario was healthy because he does make the team better and deeper. I have only been arguing that he isn't worth the money.

Well, I have changed my mind. His absence is one of the reasons this defense has gotten so good. By the way, the Texans are now 7-0 without Mario and the defense is much better.

Mario simply doesn't hustle. He's not physical and only gives good effort when he is put in a situation where he has an advantage and opportunity to make a play. I've never seen a player jog and trot on the field as much as he does. After wathching a physical and aggressive defense the past two months, his laziness really pops on the screen. Those of you who doubt this, go back on watch these games. It is quite infuriating. I am official glad he is on the I.R. Otherwise, our defense would've never turned into what it has. There is no way Rick Smith re-signs this guy! Not gonna happen!

I'll have video by Monday, I hope.

Dude, you realize the that Mario was on pace for 16 sacks. This already great defense would be even better with Mario.

Mario Williams is interesting. Some games I'm yelling at him and screaming to give more effort, but then I understand that he usually get game-planned every week and taking on double teams all game would take a toll on me, especially from an outside rushers who's running a lot more during the play. I mean I agree with the poster, but I disagree about him stinking, and that we would be better off without him because the guy create sacks, not just for him, but for everyone else. Ask Antonio Smith

How are you not banned for such trollish posts? Yea, Mario was really bad that Steelers game with a couple of key sacks and tackles for loss. He did play better though in that Baltimore game, you know the game that came AFTER the one that ended his season.

It's obvious you didn't "re-watch" any of those games you just have some weird obsession of hating on Mario. It's funny though that you troll and then try to get us to check out your blog...

how are you not banned for such trollish posts? Yea, mario was really bad that steelers game with a couple of key sacks and tackles for loss. He did play better though in that baltimore game, you know the game that came after the one that ended his season.

It's obvious you didn't "re-watch" any of those games you just have some weird obsession of hating on mario. It's funny though that you troll and then try to get us to check out your blog...

+1.

Mario Williams stinks!!

Wow! I know that I have a reputation in this arena. However, I have argued that I wish Mario was healthy because he does make the team better and deeper. I have only been arguing that he isn't worth the money.

Well, I have changed my mind. His absence is one of the reasons this defense has gotten so good. By the way, the Texans are now 7-0 without Mario and the defense is much better.

Mario simply doesn't hustle. He's not physical and only gives good effort when he is put in a situation where he has an advantage and opportunity to make a play. I've never seen a player jog and trot on the field as much as he does. After wathching a physical and aggressive defense the past two months, his laziness really pops on the screen. Those of you who doubt this, go back on watch these games. It is quite infuriating. I am official glad he is on the I.R. Otherwise, our defense would've never turned into what it has. There is no way Rick Smith re-signs this guy! Not gonna happen!

Wow, kinda surprised to see a such bold statement from you Dale. I think, there a few points need to be consider on Mario's performance.

You are much more of analyst with better understanding of football than I and I am just a general fan of the Texans. As a general fan, I would like to point out the followings.

1. He did have 5 sacks in 5 games
2. Our D's overall performance is improving each week and Mario only
played first 5 games.
3. I didn't time how fast he gets to QB but seems to me he gets there
pretty fast when he gets a sack.
4. Seems Mario forces quick decision on opponents' QB
5. Expectation. I think, we vary expectation on Mario. I am OK with Mario
getting 12-15 sacks wise and be disruptive like forcing opponents' QB to
make bad decision.

To me, I need to see Mario play a full season under Wade's 3-4 before jump into any conclusion. I don't know what is going to happen to Mario after this season but, I would like to see him play a full season under Wade's 3-4. But, this is just me.

Go Texans!!!

Whats the purpose of this thread? You still trying to convince other people that Mario doesn't live up to your lofty expectations, we know. Everyone recognizes that when this defense was bad Mario was one of the steady contributors year in and year out (not everyone because you are on the other end arguing against him vehemently). Now that the defense is playing well as a unit and Mario is hurt you wanna say the team wouldn't be better with Marios talent out there. I don't get why you got such a hard on to hate on Mario. Please don't try to deny it, because you are the only one who went back and watched whatever you watched and brought up the hate when there wasn't anything remotely relating to Mario going on. You don't like him, we get it. Why don't you just leave it alone until the time comes when people see the relevance and want to discuss it.

tumblr_lm81l4MGrm1qz4eyeo1_500.png

This beat a dead horse Mario Williams train has become as old and tired as the Kareem Jackson version.

Please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

please dont let this thread turn into a multi pager. we're better than that. lets just let it die quickly like it deserves.

How are you not banned for such trollish posts? Yea, Mario was really bad that Steelers game with a couple of key sacks and tackles for loss. He did play better though in that Baltimore game, you know the game that came AFTER the one that ended his season.

It's obvious you didn't "re-watch" any of those games you just have some weird obsession of hating on Mario. It's funny though that you troll and then try to get us to check out your blog...

This.

Especially, this:
He did play better though in that Baltimore game, you know the game that came AFTER the one that ended his season.

This is blatant spamming, trolling, or whatever you want to call it.

Dale's analysis is always rather poor, but this this takes it to new levels.

Nevertheless, I'm anxiously awaiting Dale's video of Mario playing lazily in the Baltimore game.

Let's just comment on the thread and leave the name-calling aside. Or not comment at all, if you feel that's best.

I don't have to re-watch the games, I saw them as they transpired.

NO - Mario didn't play well. The defense didn't play well. The black mark on a fantastic season by the defense.

Pittsburgh - Ask Big Ben how much Mario sucked. Williams dominated and led an outstanding defensive effort in one of the greatest wins in franchise history. It answered all of the Texans critics (myself included) as to whether this team is "soft".

Baltimore - Flacco threw for 300 yards. We could have used Mario that Sunday.

Let's just comment on the thread and leave the name-calling aside. Or not comment at all, if you feel that's best.

I don't have to re-watch the games, I saw them as they transpired.

NO - Mario didn't play well. The defense didn't play well. The black mark on a fantastic season by the defense.

Pittsburgh - Ask Big Ben how much Mario sucked. Williams dominated and led an outstanding defensive effort in one of the greatest wins in franchise history. It answered all of the Texans critics (myself included) as to whether this team is "soft".

Baltimore - Flacco threw for 300 yards. We could have used Mario that Sunday.

What was so blatantly clear re-watching isn't that Mario doesn't have talent or that he doesn't occasionally make plays. Instead, it is the fact that he is the only player on the field that doesn't rally to the ball, that doesn't have the aggressive and determined attitude the entire defense now has. He jogs past the play, stands around and handfights, etc... most of the time.

Someone show me a series of 5 plays when Barwin, Reed, Cushing, Watt, A.Smith, Jamison aren't chasing the backside of the play down hard. They do. Mario doesn't.

Mario is both an effective pass rusher and run stopper. He is a very good player. I can't think of any reason why we wouldn't want him back other than perhaps saving cap money. To NOT want Mario on your team is silly.

Why is everyone so intensely in denial? I would understand it if Mario's performance was essential to the success of our team. Nobody wants to be without hope. Heck, I was obviously in denial regarding David Carr in order to have hope for him until midway through 2006. This is different though. The Texans are 7-0 without Mario and the defense clearly doesn't need him.

As a fan, if you watch his lack of consistent effort, it should outrage you. Hopefully, this week, we will get a massive collage of video showing his lack of effort. I dare anyone to put something similar together for any other Texan defender. Why we are a dominant defense now is due to the attitude, effort, and intensity they all play with, IMO. I don't think it is just a coincidence that it really got going after Mario left the field during the Baltimore game. Without Mario on the field, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, and Connor Barwin have become team leaders and they have led with a very diffferent attitude that permeates the entire defense.

I don't know. I would have liked to see what Mario would be like once he fully learned the position.

Why is everyone so intensely in denial?..The Texans are 7-0 without Mario and the defense clearly doesn't need him.
First, get your facts straight. The Texans are 7-2 without Mario, having lost to Oakland and Baltimore. Second, the Texans are 6-2 without Andre. Guess they don't need him, either?

I'm not knocking what the Texans have done without Mario. Or Andre. Or Schaub. It's been magical. But if you don't think this team would be better with these players, you are mistaken.

Wade smith disagrees with you.

The only reason Mario would not be back is cap reasons. Bit besides that, your reasoning is flawed. Weve won without a log of players. Doesn't mean they don't make us better. Coughandrecough.

And Dale, I'm just going to be honest here. IMO you don't have a clue what you're talking about or what to look for. Mario and Andre are different types of players than some of their counterparts.

I've seen a lot of receivers smaller in stature than Dre that look like they are hustling more. Diving for balls, crack back blocks always full of energy. Look at Hines ward or Steve smith. Look at plexico burress. Thy are different types of athletes. Smaller guys tend to be able to exert more energy more often.

Look at foster compared to maurice Jones drew or ray rice. It's harder for bigger players to have that same kind of motor for the simeon fact that it takes more energy to move that mass and when you have long legs it's harder to have those choppy steps that give the appearance of a high motor.

These reasons aren't universal and there are exceptions to the rule, but athletes aren't built the same. Some athletes would wear themselves out if they played like some of their smaller players. Doesn't mean they aren't hustling.

Warren sapp and haynesworth when he was good aren't the same type of player. One was a high motor smaller guy and the other was bigger. Still effective, but I guarantee if you compared the two on film you'd say sapp had a higher motor and sometimes haynesworth looked like he was not going hard. Different types of athletes.

Some guys aren't built to generate short area burst/energy. Antonio can generate a lot of burst right off the snap. Mario does not have that same type of burst as Antonio Antonio can't control the play in front of him like Mario. Mario can come off the ball and control what the o lineman can and can't do to him. He doesn't get moved back.

Bit of course you won't take any of this into consideration. Mario sucks in your mind, but luckily you aren't pulling the strings on Kirby.

Rookie Brooks is playing well but I can't buy the claim that our defense is as
good with him instead of Mario, even if Williams is dogging it or taking too many plays off.
But here's the thing, I believe it's likely we won't retain Mario next year because of the monetary cost and cap-space required to do so, but I also believe it's even more likley we will lose Wade Phillips. So if we lose Wade it becomes a big uncertainty about the identity of our new DC and whether we even continue with the brand of defense that Wade operated, all of which will factor into determining the value of Mario to the Texans ?

Why is everyone so intensely in denial?

Because your analysis & conclusion does not line up with what we are seeing. This:
What was so blatantly clear re-watching isn't that Mario doesn't have talent or that he doesn't occasionally make plays. Instead, it is the fact that he is the only player on the field that doesn't rally to the ball, that doesn't have the aggressive and determined attitude the entire defense now has. He jogs past the play, stands around and handfights, etc... most of the time.

Is flat out false. Never happened, don't know what you're looking at.

None of the guys on the team (imo) plays the backside of the run as well as Mario. You said the same crap about Antonio when we were in a 4-3 & the backside was always open for the cutback if they ran away from Antonio, never if they ran away from Mario.

Before the snap, the DL has to "guess" if it's going to be a pass or a run. On a run play, the DEs job is totally different than on a pass play. They have to hold the ends, set it on the play side, contain on the backside. Maybe that's what you're seeing as no effort, other than that, I can't figure you out.

Why is everyone so intensely in denial? I would understand it if Mario's performance was essential to the success of our team.

The Texans are 7-0 without Mario and the defense clearly doesn't need him.

We're 3-0 without Schaub. 2-1 without Foster. Practically 7-2 without Andre.

What are you saying?

First, get your facts straight. The Texans are 7-2 without Mario, having lost to Oakland and Baltimore. Second, the Texans are 6-2 without Andre. Guess they don't need him, either?

I'm not knocking what the Texans have done without Mario. Or Andre. Or Schaub. It's been magical. But if you don't think this team would be better with these players, you are mistaken.

By the way, the Texans' pressured Flacco all game. In the Oakland game, the defense played great with the exception of one drive late in the game. Early on, they were amazing (with and without Mario)... stoning the Raiders' offense after the Texans' offense gave Oakland the ball repeatedly in scoring position.

You must be arguing with someone else. I'm not arguing that a good record without someone = we don't need him. The Texans' offense is clearly not better without Andre. Without Mario, the Texans' defense has been awesome!

I have asserted all season that we would be better with Mario but his cap number is way too high. After last night, I changed my mind, not because of their record, but because I saw what the defense was like with him and the tone (or lack of) his play set. He gears it up almost exclusively pre-snap when he thinks the conditions are favorable for him to make a big play. You know why he never beats a double team? because he never tries to... ever! He is content to do the minimum required on every play he's a part of. Meanwhile, guys like Smith and Watt are flying to the ball, running full speed downfield after a play while Mario trots behind.

I see the effort of Smith and Watt. Watt is essentially a white clone of Mario, physically. I certainly can see Watt's effort on the field. Mario's though... nope!

I see the effort of Smith and Watt. Watt is essentially a white clone of Mario, physically. I certainly can see Watt's effort on the field. Mario's though... nope!

You should have loved Demarcus Faggins then. that little F2#$er efforted his ass off every game.

I like results. If he's half assing his way to 1 sack a game type numbers, I'm good.

We're 3-0 without Schaub. 2-1 without Foster. Practically 7-2 without Andre.

What are you saying?

Your numbers prove my point! The Texans defense, without Mario, is so good that we are winning without Andre and with a 3rd string QB. Check the numbers: Texans' offensive production without Schaub and Andre are way down. Texans' defensive production without Mario is way up... up so much that the it's more than enough to account for the loss of offensive production.

Thanks for making my point.

This is pretty ridiculous. To think that ANY team would be better without a player of Mario's caliber is beyond me.

As we all know, on these boards if you are going to make a statement as bold as these, at least do your research and back it up with facts.

Your logic, which has numerous holes, leads one to believe that the record our team holds without said player is a direct correlation to that players impact. As many have stated prior to me, the absence of Schaub, AJ, Arian, and even D. Manning should open your eyes on how flawed your line of thinking is.

Although we "have" to respect everyone's opinion on these boards I do not respect yours on this topic.

We all know your thoughts on MW but making a thread like this at a time when nothing but greatness is displayed at this current point in the season is ridiculous. Pick a new topic and for once, say something that will permeate good vibes instead of this. There are plenty of other things to whine about (I guess...) other than a player thats not on the field and hasn't been on the field for 8+ weeks.

Get a grip, guy.

Your numbers prove my point! The Texans defense, without Mario, is so good that we are winning without Andre and with a 3rd string QB. Check the numbers: Texans' offensive production without Schaub and Andre are way down. Texans' defensive production without Mario is way up... up so much that the it's more than enough to account for the loss of offensive production.

So you're saying we don't need Schaub or Andre with the young guys on defense?

I'm saying with Andre, Schaub, & Mario, we'd be Super Bowl favorites.

Mario played in the Baltimore game. He was injured early on. By the way, the Texans' pressured Flacco all game. In the Oakland game, the defense played great with the exception of one drive late in the game. Early on, they were amazing... stoning the Raiders' offense after the Texans' offense gave Oakland the ball repeatedly in scoring position.

uhhh Dale... I think you have some facts crossed up

mediaManager

Houston Texans outside linebacker Mario Williams (90) leaves the game during the first quarter of an NFL football game against the Oakland Raiders at Reliant Stadium, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011, in Houston.
Photo: Houston Chronicle, Karen Warren / © 2011 Houston Chronicle

Outside linebacker Mario Williams is the first starting player the Texans have lost for the season.

Williams will be placed on injured reserve and undergo surgery to repair the pectoral muscle he tore while making a team-leading fifth sack in Sunday's 25-20 loss to Oakland at Reliant Stadium.

The Texans (3-2), tied with Tennessee for first place in the AFC South, will play at Baltimore on Sunday without Williams, fullback James Casey (pectoral) and receiver Andre Johnson (hamstring).

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...illiams-to-undergo-MRI-on-injured-2210530.php

So you're saying we don't need Schaub or Andre with the young guys on defense?

I'm saying with Andre, Schaub, & Mario, we'd be Super Bowl favorites.

No, I agree with you on Andre and Schaub. We don't need Mario to be Superbowl favorites. In fact, I think the defense is better without him.

This is pretty ridiculous. To think that ANY team would be better without a player of Mario's caliber is beyond me.

As we all know, on these boards if you are going to make a statement as bold as these, at least do your research and back it up with facts.

Your logic, which has numerous holes, leads one to believe that the record our team holds without said player is a direct correlation to that players impact. As many have stated prior to me, the absence of Schaub, AJ, Arian, and even D. Manning should open your eyes on how flawed your line of thinking is.

Get a grip, guy.

No, that is not my logic. Here's my point... again!:

1. The Texans' PRODUCTION on defense has been better without Mario. There are reasons for this, which I have discussed.

2. His absence has allowed for new leadership and a mentality on defense that has been lacking his entire 6 years here (not because of him, but not in spite of him either)

Offensive production has not improved without Andre or Schaub. So, please stop bringing that up.

Mario Williams stinks!!

to ASSUME that the defense has gotten better because mario is out is foolish. He was a premier Pass rushing DE, that was transforming to OLB. Hell look at Connor Barwin, how many sacks did he have before mario went out ? Not to mention Mario 9 out of 10 times drew a double team Brooks and barwin dont, Hence the reasons A. Smith had 5 sacks in 5 games when Mario was there, and how many has he had since.

I WILL say this. I think you put JJ. Watt and MArio at DE, A. Smith at NT and barwin and Reed on the edge i think our front 7 would be even scarier. But to say Mario is not good is worth neg repping ! Which i wont do cause i generally like ur opinions, just not this one.

to ASSUME that the defense has gotten better because mario is out is foolish. He was a premier Pass rushing DE, that was transforming to OLB. Hell look at Connor Barwin, how many sacks did he have before mario went out ? Not to mention Mario 9 out of 10 times drew a double team Brooks and barwin dont, Hence the reasons A. Smith had 5 sacks in 5 games when Mario was there, and how many has he had since.

I WILL say this. I think you put JJ. Watt and MArio at DE, A. Smith at NT and barwin and Reed on the edge i think our front 7 would be even scarier. But to say Mario is not good is worth neg repping ! Which i wont do cause i generally like ur opinions, just not this one.

This is simply not true. Show me the double-teams. This is pure fiction. Rarely did Mario get double-teamed. Regarding Smith, his drop in production may have something to do with his injured shoulder... just a thought.

This thread almost makes me miss the fire kubiak threads. Atleast those threads had facts, logic, stats, intelligence, etc. Basically everything that is missing from this thread.

But the fire kubiak thread would mean we would be losing. I guess this is a better alternative. Pick your torture.

I just dont see how we a person could say after the team installs a new defense after having the worse last year could come up with the conclusion that since Mario is out, and the team winning, we wouldn't be improved with Mario. Then, with the same circumstances surrounding Andre, all of sudden that is different. And this DC wants Mario to play in this system.

I mead, dude, listen to this guy:

drugs_are_bad_mmkay.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQXGMqmI2s

Watch this. Start at 1.24 and watch Mario against Pitt.

Mario didnt stop on the Rothlesberger fumble.

At 1.54 he chases Rothlesberger to get his first sack.

Helps out on a sack at 2.05

Does it again at 2.13

At 2.22 he gets his second sack on him.

He showed up big in the game. I am not going to go through the other games because of absurbness of this thread.

My point is still the same. The Texans beat the heck out of Flacco. Since the Baltimore game, by the way, the Texans' Marioless defense has given up the following point totals (7, 14, 12, 9, 13, 10, 19).

But before those games, the Texans gave up 25 points to Oakland (LOSS) and the 29 points given up to Baltimore (LOSS). During that stretch you mentioned, the defense has played great but they have also faced some offensively challenged teams. In total points per game:

Titans 22nd, Jags 28th, Cleveland 30th, Tampa Bay 26th, Falcons 11th, Bengals 18th. The 2 games they lost, Oakland 16th and Ravens 10th.

Your argument is being benefited from the fact that the defense was going to improve regardless over time from playing together and getting more reps into the system. Even with a short off season and a new defensive scheme, our defense still came out hot to start. In the 4 full games that Mario played in, our defense gave up (7, 13, 40, 10). The 40 points given up to the Saints was on the road to the team that is ranked #1 in total yards and #2 in PPG, but I will use the dalemurphy method of arguing and pretend like it never happened even though it wasn't Mario vs. the Saints, it was actually Mario PLUS the same guys that are playing today vs. the Saints (blame goes to everyone).

This is simply not true. Show me the double-teams. This is pure fiction. Rarely did Mario get double-teamed. Regarding Smith, his drop in production may have something to do with his injured shoulder... just a thought.

This is just from the first half of the Saints game:

1st Quarter. 2:17 3rd and 3. Mario takes on the TE with the RT circling right behind him focusing solely on Mario. Double Team
2nd Quarter 13:04 1 and 10. Ingram chips Mario, RG pulls and engages afterwards
2nd Quarter 11:50 1 and 10. TE slides over and puts on a full block then releases with the LT engaging Mario after the release. Saints schemed for multiple blockers
2nd Quarter 3:15 1 and 10. FB chips Mario
2nd Quarter 3:10 2 and 10. Mario is fully engaged with BOTH the RT and the RG

Go ahead and "re-watch" those plays even I'm sure you're going to see something completely different than LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE per usual (like Mario playing lazily when he is sitting on the sidelines in a sling or Mario getting pancaked when he is in fact throwing the opposing QB to the ground). Also, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't consider offensive coordinators using backs to chip rushers a part of their protection game plan.

Mario Williams stinks!!

Like give it up already . If it had came from a non Mario hater I would maybe consider it but , you've proved to be just as bad as the Kareem supporter. Get off his junk

Mario is not a high motor player. Anyone who doesn't already know this hasn't been watching closely enough.

That said, he's still better than Reggie though. :d:

Don't tell me ..... he wanted VY. :hobie:
:lol:

I hate the Longhorns. Always have. Moreso, I hate QBs that can't throw the ball and read defenses. I never, ever wanted VY. I was thrilled with the Mario pick. I was wanting a trade down or D'Brickshaw... However, I was thrilled and relieved when we moved away from Bush and went with Mario.

I began turning on Mario midway thru the '09 season when I noticed his inconsistent effort. Last season, right when he was needed most, his effort disappeared. Still, after the injury was revealed as a "sports hernia", I was hopeful I would see a different player this season. Nope... same lazy player who only shows up when he knows he has an opportunity to make a play.

Jesus tap-dancing Christo, you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Btw, did you take notice once and for all that MW did not play against Bmore, or do you still believed this happened?

Jesus tap-dancing Christo, you talk out of both sides of your mouth. Btw, did you take notice once and for all that MW did not play against Bmore, or do you still believed this happened?

Wait what?! That Baltimore game was one of his laziest performances! Did you see the way he chose to sit while he drank his Gatorade opposed to standing?? What a lazy bum. The performance he turned in today that lead to the Panthers marching off 28 points on us was almost as bad as that Baltimore game. I noticed he chose not to tuck his shirt in. With a little extra effort he could have had that shirt placed nicely within his waistband.

Back