Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-17-2011   #1
TexansJohn 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 0 TexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansJohn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2007 Patriots v. 2010 Packers media coverage

In 2007, all we heard week in and week out was "Brady, Brady, Brady!". Every Pats matchup was analyzed by the media talking heads. "Will they stay perfect?"

If I recall, week 17 game of PATS v. NYG was televised on TWO networks (ABC and CBS?). Roger Goodell was even hyping up the story.

Sure seems like Green Bay hasn't been getting this love from the media (and maybe they prefer it that way!).

I just don't understand how Tim Tebow gets so much more media coverage than Aaron Rodgers.

Thoughts?
TexansJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #2
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 40321 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2007 Patriots v. 2010 Packers media coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansJohn View Post
In 2007, all we heard week in and week out was "Brady, Brady, Brady!". Every Pats matchup was analyzed by the media talking heads. "Will they stay perfect?"

If I recall, week 17 game of PATS v. NYG was televised on TWO networks (ABC and CBS?). Roger Goodell was even hyping up the story.

Sure seems like Green Bay hasn't been getting this love from the media (and maybe they prefer it that way!).

I just don't understand how Tim Tebow gets so much more media coverage than Aaron Rodgers.

Thoughts?
Maybe it's because the Saints are in the NFC, with the Pack - but I hear an awful lot about Rodgers. I definitely don't think that he's getting shortchanged from the media.

When Trent Dilfer says something to the effect of "I wasn't that great a QB when I played so I don't feel as if I am qualified to even talk about the guy anymore.... he's just that good" I think the praise has gotten about as superlative as it can get. Or when several broadcasters say that we've never seen the position being played like this in the history of the game and there aren't many contrarian voices saying, "woah.. hold up a second. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves."

And I have nothing against Rodgers - he deserves the acclaim and spotlight. He's had an amazing year. There is no other MVP candidate, imo - though Brees is playing lights out and I'd love to see him get an MVP (because he's been ours in NO for years now) but there is no real argument against Rodgers

I think the commentators reflect that, too.

Now, as a team - I recall hearing more about the Pats than the Pack and the pursuit of perfection.

But I don't think I am hearing Rodgers name that much less than Brady's.

As for the emergent Tebow coverage - that's simple: it sells.

There was no similar story in 07 to provide any alternative to what the Pats were doing that I can remember. He's been an electrifying player and polarizing figure and he dominated headlines at Florida. I know - as an LSU fan - it was frustrating to see SEC coverage dominated by Tebow. But it sells.

And I count myself in that number. I tuned in to a Denver game last week via Sunday Ticket for the first time all year. I wanted to see if there would be another Tebow performance vs. the Bears defense. And for much of the game, it was ho-hum. But the last few minutes provided a lot of drama.

I was riveted. And I think TV stations understand that I'm likely not the only one.

Yea, I get tired of the Tebow coverage because I think it's too much. But I can understand why producers make the choice to cover it like they do and I'm not sure that's necessarily a knock on what the Packers are doing.

I believe that if it were Brady and the Pats playing like Rodgers and the Pack, Tebow would still dominate the coverage. It's a story that sells. And I think there are a lot of casual fans - or in the case of a couple of relatives back home, non-fans - who are talking about Tebow and reading about Tebow and following Tebow.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

We've moved from sportscasters reporting the news,

To an era of sportscasters selling and making the news.
Old 12-17-2011   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The Pats-Giants game was simulcast on CBS and the NFLN.

I think the biggest reason the Packers season hasn't been hyped is due to the Pats going 16-0 so recently. We know it can be done. Going 19-0 will be what's compelling. The perfect season hype will begin, once the playoffs start.
Old 12-17-2011   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

The Pats didn't even deserve 16-0 back then. They were handed a win against the Ravens late in the season on a penalty ridden 4th quarter comeback. I wish I could find footage of that drive cause the refs were in the bag for the Pats. I think the NFL just wanted the undefeated hype going into the playoffs.
Old 12-17-2011   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The Pats didn't even deserve 16-0 back then. They were handed a win against the Ravens late in the season on a penalty ridden 4th quarter comeback. I wish I could find footage of that drive cause the refs were in the bag for the Pats. I think the NFL just wanted the undefeated hype going into the playoffs.
The Ravens had 13 penalties in the game (to the Pats 4).
Old 12-19-2011   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
no, they won that game because of Rex Ryan's poor timeout decision that gave the Patriots a chance to win it. if he hadn't called it, they would've lost. i guess you could theorize that Ryan was paid off by the NFL if ya want?

anyway, these are very different scenarios. the Patriots were coming off of a huge offseason with getting Randy Moss and Wes Welker and the whole video-taping incident. there was already tons of hype and stories on the Patriots, and they were completely destroying opponents in some cases. also, Brady and Moss were setting records and the team wound up scoring the most points in NFL history. the Packers have looked very good but they just haven't looked as dominant as the Patriots. and when you consider the whole picture, it makes sense that they'd get less coverage than the Patriots.

and as someone else has said, a team DID go 16-0 recently, and even the Colts a few years ago where like 14-0 at one point. the novelty has worn a bit.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2011   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
no, they won that game because of Rex Ryan's poor timeout decision that gave the Patriots a chance to win it. if he hadn't called it, they would've lost. i guess you could theorize that Ryan was paid off by the NFL if ya want?
Yeah man, Ryan was paid by the NFL to call that timeout! That's exactly like saying the refs are in the bag for a team on the verge of making history!

Anyways, I had to go find the highlight reel of this game. I had not watched it since I saw that game live. In any case, the Ravens stopped the Pats on the Timeout called, and once again on the next play when a false start was called. The run defense looked stout, pass defense not so much.

The two big penalties against the Ravens on that last drive both occurred on 4th downs. First was on the 4th down conversion by Brady running it, which stops the clock and add 5 yards to the end of the run. The other was holding on the defense, which otherwise would have resulted in a turnover on downs. Instead the Pats get another set of downs at the Baltimore 12 and throw a TD to go ahead. Look at the highlight reel and tell me that you think the last penalty was deserved on 4th and 5. I thought it was BS.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...s-27-Ravens-24

Play by play description:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200712...yze=playbyplay
Old 12-19-2011   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99154 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thoughts?

I think you're exaggerating this. The Pats were already a Dynasty team that had won 3 SB's. That was on their way to win their 4th SB and potentially have a perfect season. They also made a much bigger deal, because the Pats were on the verge of breaking huge records all that season. The Packers have only won one SB, and they have been talked about a lot as well though. Not as much, but they will be if the Pack wins another SB or two and starts off another season like they did this year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear this thread over Tebowmania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read