Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2011   #21
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Pro Bowl Voting So Far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The Probowl would be much better if they took a page from the NHL and had a series of Skills contests. Maybe an accuracy game for QBs, a hands/speed drill for wrs/RBs, a game of 21 for the DBs, and then for everyone's amusement, a 40 yard dash for the coaches!
They used to do that, until that highly-drafted wide receiver (whose name
escapes me) shredded his knee in beach volleyball (one of the pre-Probowl
events.)

I used to love watching Warren Moon go out there and compete with
Manning and Brady in the QB challenges.
Old 12-15-2011   #22
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
They used to do that, until that highly-drafted wide receiver (whose name
escapes me) shredded his knee in beach volleyball (one of the pre-Probowl
events.)

I used to love watching Warren Moon go out there and compete with
Manning and Brady in the QB challenges.
Was this when they used to have the NFL's fastest man and strongest man contests...
I thought those were off-season things
...I could be wrong though... you know what they say about us old folks and their memories...

....I'd tell you but I forgot

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #23
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The Probowl would be much better if they took a page from the NHL and had a series of Skills contests. Maybe an accuracy game for QBs, a hands/speed drill for wrs/RBs, a game of 21 for the DBs, and then for everyone's amusement, a 40 yard dash for the coaches!
The NFL use to have that, but then putting the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl killed that.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011   #24
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
What a bunch of crap, nobody from our OLine and Jonathan Joseph not even
in the running for CB ! The PB is nothing but a popularity contest or people
voting for familar names
. Maybe some of the deserving Texans can get some help from the voting by players and coachs ?
On the positive side glad to see that Antonio and Cushing are getting some well deserved recognition.
And fan voting ends very soon - next Tuesday I think so get your votes entered at NFL.COM.
You are correct. These days the PB doesnt hold NEAR the water it used to.

Luckily for these players like J-Jo there is a little thing called being an All-pro. Thats where the pros vote. Those are the ones that REALLY matter when it comes down to being considered "the best".

I think J-JO will become 1st team all-pro. If he doesnt, Ill bet $5 he at least makes 2nd team.
Old 12-15-2011   #25
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284970 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ProFootballFocus - Week 12 Pro Bowl Cheat Sheet

Pro Bowl Cheat Sheet: Week 12
November 30th, 2011 | Author: Neil Hornsby

The NFL has become a league based on highlights. As the line between fantasy and real football continues to blur in many peoples eyes a couple of highlight plays in a big game, or a single sentence from a respected commentator can mean the difference between being in Hawaii or not. Last year, DeAngelo Hall picked off Jay Cutler four times in a game and it was ďpack your bagsĒ right there and then. Who cares during the season he allowed more touchdowns than picks he made, and who cares only Mike Jenkins gave up more yards?

I have a view that if you give me ANY regular NFL starter, I can choose ten plays from this seasonís body of work that will make him look like a Pro Bowler. Conversely, for the same player, I could choose ten plays that will make him look like benching material. The point is that itís not those plays that matter. Itís the thousand in between that count for substantially more than the 20 on the perimeter.

Letís look at who deserves recognition when we take every play into consideration.

AFC

Offense (starters bolded)
Quarterbacks: Tom Brady (NE), Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) & Ryan Fitzpatrick (BUF)
Thereís a big gap between Brady and the others, but with Schaub now out whose next? Unbelievable as it may sound the level of play at this position in the AFC is so low itís down to either Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore (MIA). Obviously if Schaub was still playing heíd be well ahead of these two but we have an 11 of 15 game base-line and clearly he wonít be hitting that.
Halfbacks: Maurice Jones-Drew (JAX), Arian Foster (HOU) & Cedric Benson (CIN)
Another player to fall at the last hurdle of our minimum number of games criteria was Fred Jackson (BUF). His work as a receiver and a pass blocker would have put him out in front but as with all these choices, itís really a case of which skill-set you value most. Lack of fumbling is one of those and Jones-Drew only just overcomes his problems in that area. Arian Foster, as with Jackson, is solid in all areas (except hanging onto the ball) and therefore weíll take the more sure-handed Cedric Benson (CIN) to round out the set despite him not doing much as a receiver.
Fullback: Vonta Leach (BAL)
More snaps than any other fullback and blocking better than anyone in the conference. I understand Raider fans will probably see a place for Marcel Reece (OAK) who does a fantastic job both rushing and receiving. Heís a weapon all right but a blocker? Sorry, in that regard heís bottom third which isnít a surprise as heís a converted wide receiver.
Tight Ends: Rob Gronkowski (NE) & Owen Daniels (HOU)
Take away the penalties and you have the perfect tight end in Gronkowski; the best pass catcher in the AFC and the best blocker in the whole of the NFL. After that itís pick your poison with good receivers who canít block Ė Daniels and Antonio Gates (SD), or decent blockers who donít get enough receptions Ė Anthony Fasano (MIA) and Joel Dreessen (HOU). Danielsí zero dropped passes swayed me in his direction.
Wide Receivers: Wes Welker (NE), Mike Wallace (PIT), Dwayne Bowe (KC) & Antonio Brown (PIT)
Brandon Marshall (MIA) continues to drop passes at an alarming rate which brought me down to a choice between Anquan Boldin (BAL) and Brown for the last spot. Antonio who? Pittsburgh fans will already know him but Iím not sure any wide receiver has done as much good work over the last five weeks as Brown. 102, 67, 109, 86 and 81 yards respectively is making Roethlisbergerís life a lot easier. As for Boldin, heís had some great days but been a little boom or bust for my tastes.
Tackles: Joe Thomas, LT (CLE), Eric Winston, RT (HOU) & Michael Roos LT (TEN)
Nobody has pass protected better over the last seven weeks than Thomas. In those games heís given up only one sack, four hurries and no hits. David Stewart (TEN) has actually done a slightly better job in pass protection than Winston but heís not close to the run blocker the Texan right tackle is. Roos (TEN) is the next man up with a very balanced performance, just pushing him ahead of Andrew Whitworth (CIN) whoís run-blocking is too far behind his excellent work in pass protection.
Guards: Andy Levitre, LG (BUF), Marshall Yanda RG, (BAL) & Brian Waters, RG (NE)
Levitre may not be at the top of our guard rankings yet but Iím calling foul. Up until last week, when he returned to his normal position, heíd started three games at tackle and another at center. Iím not saying he was great at either but he was better than a lot of the usual starting players across the league in those positions. Please join me in ensuring he at least gets his reward of a Pro Bowl berth.
Centers: Chris Myers (HOU) & Nick Mangold (NYJ)
Iím fairly sure, given how far he is ahead in our rankings, no one will beat Myers to the starting job but Mangold is still in a race for the back up position with Jeff Saturday (IND) and Matt Birk (BAL) hot on his heels.

Defense
Defensive Ends: Terrell Suggs (BAL), Andre Carter (NE) & Brett Keisel (PIT)
Suggs is nailed on as the best DE in the AFC Ė to those who say heís an OLB, lining up with his hand on the ground 56% of the time and (more importantly) dropping in coverage only 11.5% of the time says heís not. From a perspective of rushing the passer Antonio Smith (HOU) deserves a mention but too many penalties (seven),and a weakness against the run, keep him just off the plane.
Defensive/Nose Tackles: Geno Atkins (CIN), Richard Seymour (OAK) & Haloti Ngata (BAL)
All these guys do a great job vs. run and pass but for those of you who like your zero techniques there are two guys playing lights out stopping the run for their respective teams. Sione Pouha (NYJ) does a brilliant job in that regard as does Broderick Bunkley (DEN). Iíd love to find space for either but the trio at the top are all too balanced to omit.
Outside Linebackers: Von Miller (DEN), Kamerion Wimbley (OAK) & Cameron Wake (MIA)
OK, Iíve seen enough. It has to be said. All this talk of Miller for the Defensive Rookie of the Year is sadly missing the point by as much as Blaine Gabbert misses his receivers. Von Miller is the best defensive player in the NFL. Period. Sam Monson is working on an article going into more detail as you read this but if you canít wait then beg, borrow or steal some tape of the Denver defense and youíll see exactly where weíre coming from. In other news, as saddened as I am to leave out PFF favorite Daryl Smith (JAX), there was no way I could ignore Wakeís sheer quantity of pressure.
Middle linebackers: Ray Lewis (BAL) & Brian Cushing (HOU)
Iím happy with the top two but lots of guys have played well in this position. To mention a couple of guys just missing out, Derrick Johnson (KC) and Paul Posluszny (JAX) have had excellent seasons despite all the turmoil around them.
Cornerbacks: Johnathan Joseph (HOU), Darrelle Revis (NYJ) & Lardarius Webb (BAL)
A couple of sub-par games havenít got me off the Revis bandwagon yet but Joseph is the man with the momentum. Not only does Webb have a rating of only 58.6 throwing into his coverage but heís yet to give up a touchdown as well.
Safeties: Ed Reed (BAL), Jarius Byrd (BUF) & Eric Weddle (SD)
As much as I love Troy Polamalu, his maddening inconsistency particularly in coverage, has driven me into the arms of others. Coverage ratings for safeties do need to be used with caution but 57.2 (Reed), 79.9 (Byrd) and 38.5 (Weddle) are all so much better than Polamaluís 105.8 that its worth mentioning in this context.

Special Teams
Kicker: Sebastian Janikowski (OAK), Punter: Shane Lechler (OAK), Returner: Antonio Brown (PIT), ST: Jeromy Miles (CIN)
Old 12-15-2011   #26
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Regardless of who gets voted in I hope none of our players can attend.

I expect they'll be busy that weekend.
I hope so, too -- but this was nice to see

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krazykimmy/3423382958

http://www.flickr.com/photos/krazykimmy/3423380476
Old 12-19-2011   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284970 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Pro Bowl Voting Ends Monday Night!

Get your votes in.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2011   #28
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Today is it - last chance to get your votes in for Texans is midnight tonight.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read