Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2011   #21
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My letter to ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I write too but know it is a losing cause. Local stations are easier to deal with and you can really put them to the screws, ie, make them sorry they ever lied....etc. National monopolies are a little hard of hearing, but still I write where I see the need. If nothing else I then know I did what I could.
*cough* myFOXaustin 7 *cough*

Still hate those mother effers!

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #22
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I look at it this way. we dont get alot of love, respect, coverage, whatever you want to call it from ESPN, but really, do the Ravens? 49ers?

The main stories are Packers 16-0, and Tebow Time. Thats what the "majority" of the USA wants to hear about, discuss, or what ESPN thinks we want to talk about, discuss, whatever. But they must feel that the viewership is greater when they talk about those 2 topics. Otherwise they wouldnt do it so much.

Try not to let them affect your mood. I just get as much coverage as I can from texanstalk.com, Chron.com, and my twitter feed as possible. ESPN is great if you are a packer fan, or broncos fan, but other than that dont waste your time.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't watch last night. I assumed they would be showing a Yankees / Red Sox game from 1987.
Old 12-13-2011   #24
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I look at it this way. we dont get alot of love, respect, coverage, whatever you want to call it from ESPN, but really, do the Ravens? 49ers?

The main stories are Packers 16-0, and Tebow Time. Thats what the "majority" of the USA wants to hear about, discuss, or what ESPN thinks we want to talk about, discuss, whatever. But they must feel that the viewership is greater when they talk about those 2 topics. Otherwise they wouldnt do it so much.

Try not to let them affect your mood. I just get as much coverage as I can from texanstalk.com, Chron.com, and my twitter feed as possible. ESPN is great if you are a packer fan, or broncos fan, but other than that dont waste your time.
See, I get what you are saying about ratings and popularity, I totally do, but that should be more of a concern for their entertainment shows like PTI, Around the Horn, etc..

Their Sports Center shows whic try to pass themselves off as "Hard Journalism" fall way short and you would think that ratings would take a back seat to actual news.

I grew up in a big media family (mom and step dad are/were journalists etc) so I know about "jounralistic integrity" and stuf like that and ESPN seems only interested in ratings when it comes to segments of their broadcasts that should deal with "news".

That is I guess my main beef.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-13-2011   #25
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
See, I get what you are saying about ratings and popularity, I totally do, but that should be more of a concern for their entertainment shows like PTI, Around the Horn, etc..

Their Sports Center shows whic try to pass themselves off as "Hard Journalism" fall way short and you would think that ratings would take a back seat to actual news.

I grew up in a big media family (mom and step dad are/were journalists etc) so I know about "jounralistic integrity" and stuf like that and ESPN seems only interested in ratings when it comes to segments of their broadcasts that should deal with "news".

I get ya. Their [ESPN] radio shows are exactly the same. Ratings over substance. Colin Cowherd will straight up tell you that. He cares only about ratings and how it affects his contract each year. Its sad...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #26
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

So take the best recourse any consumer has.
Old 12-13-2011   #27
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The main stories are Packers 16-0, and Tebow Time.
That and long ass interviews and press conferances with that foot sucking coach of the Jets.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2011   #28
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

The old canned response...but hey, at least I wrote them I guess...

Dear Jordan,

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

ESPN makes its programming decisions based on a number of factors, including viewership, as reflected by ratings and the interest from advertisers and affiliates, on a nationwide basis.

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more Houston Texans coverage on our air.

Sincerely,

Steve
ESPN Viewer Response

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-13-2011   #29
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

atleast they show tebow after tebow after tebow high light, even though it was the kicker who kicked 2 50 yarders to win the game. Tebow will never have long term success winning like this. I feel ya though the texans get 0 coverage on ESPN or NFLN
Old 12-13-2011   #30
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dear Jordan,

ESPN makes its programming decisions based on a number of factors, including viewership, as reflected by ratings and the interest from advertisers and affiliates, on a nationwide basis.

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more Houston Texans coverage on our air.

Sincerely,

Steve
ESPN Viewer Response
sounds like an automated response. I'm sure we will let them know . they will show our score more at the bottom of the screen now haha
Old 12-13-2011   #31
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
sounds like an automated response. I'm sure we will let them know . they will show our score more at the bottom of the screen now haha
Exactly.....I have worked in jobs where you send fill in the blank emails so I guarantee they send that response all the time and I'm sure it looked like this before he filled in Houston Texans....

Dear XXXCUSTOMERNAMEXXX,

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more XXXTEAM/SUBJECTXXX coverage on our air.

Sincerely,

(rep name auto fills once sent)
ESPN Viewer Response

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-14-2011   #32
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dear Jordan,

Sincerely,

Steve
ESPN Viewer Response
Translation:

Dear Jordan,
Shut the **** up and watch our channel you pointless hick,
Sincerly, ESPN
Old 12-14-2011   #33
Bull Butter
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Bull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Butter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Translation:

Dear Jordan,
Shut the **** up and watch our channel you pointless hick,
Sincerly, ESPN
Or....
Dear Jordan,
Shut up and jump on the Tebow bandwagon like the rest of us because no one cares about your team. They're not exciting or relevant like the Cowboys or Jets or Tebow

Sincerely,
Colin Cowherd
Director of ESPN programming
Bull Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #34
arb729
Veteran

Rep Power: 420 arb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's actually really funny.. I live outside of Boston, and am a huge Sox/Celtics (/Texans as well, obviously) fan, so I never really understood people talking about never showing their teams when they were doing great things, because they always showed mine regardless of if they were winning or losing. Now that the Texans are having this season, I can totally see where everyone was coming from. I'm 100% spoiled.
arb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #35
conundrum
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 conundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respectedconundrum is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...st-keep-coming

They responded online...

"Two stories -- Tim Tebow, and the undefeated Green Bay Packers -- have dominated NFL coverage this season, but the Texans have been a revelation. Houston, not Denver, has the second-longest winning streak behind the Packers; the win in Cincinnati was its seventh straight."
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #36
arb729
Veteran

Rep Power: 420 arb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respectedarb729 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also this article I just saw. It's an Insider article so here is the entire thing so everyone who wants to can read it. (Sorry if that's not allowed)

Quote:
At some level, the 2011 Houston Texans look like one of those teams that make great fodder for the annual video team yearbooks. They overcame adversity in the form of injuries to Mario Williams, Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub. Then their backup quarterback, Matt Leinart, went down with a collarbone injury. Still, the Texans pulled themselves together after a 3-3 start and won the first division title in team history.

Asking for much more than that out of a team that is playing a third-string rookie quarterback in T.J. Yates might seem to be a bit much, but after doing a detailed game tape and metric review, it's clear that Houston still looks to be more than capable of making a strong run at an AFC title.

The most obvious reason is Houston's rushing attack, which ranks second in the league with 151.9 yards per game.

The volume is impressive, but what is even more notable is how well the Texans' running backs fare in the good blocking yards per attempt (GBYPA) metric.

GBYPA measures how productive a ballcarrier is on rushing plays where he is given good blocking (which is loosely defined as when the blockers do not allow the defense to do anything to disrupt a rush attempt).

This is a very important metric because, in the many studies I have done on the running game over the years, ballcarriers tend to average 1-2 yards on rushing plays with poor blocking (meaning the defense was able to do something to disrupt the rush attempt). That means gaining yards on good blocking plays is imperative to posting top-line rushing totals.

So far this season, Arian Foster has tallied a 6.8-yard mark in the GBYPA metric. That number is good (the league average is usually around 6.5), but it's actually lower than his 7.4-yard total for this statistic in 2010.

That drop-off should have lowered the Texans' rush yards total, but it hasn't because of how well Ben Tate has performed.

Tate has served both as a fill-in starter for Foster and as an alternate when Foster's workload starts to get too high. Tate has excelled at both in large part because of a ridiculously high 9.6 GBYPA (few backs ever top the 9-yard mark in this metric at season's end). Tate's number is so good that a strong argument can be made that Foster and Tate form the best running back tandem in the NFL.

As good as they are at running the ball, the Texans are nearly equally adept at stopping the run. They have allowed good blocking only 40.5 percent of the time. To put that total into perspective, consider that the league-leading percentage in good blocking allowed in 2010 was 45.3 percent, so Houston is nearly five points ahead of elite production in this metric.

And that may not even be the strong suit of this defense. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who is currently on a medical leave of absence, has made his reputation over the years by building a strong pass rush. In his 34 seasons as an NFL head coach/defensive coordinator/defensive line coach, his teams have ended the season in the top 10 in sacks 23 times.

This season is looking to be no different from that perspective, as the Texans are tied for sixth in sacks with 36.

Houston's pass coverage doesn't exactly take a back seat to the run D or pass rush, either. Its 6.0 YPA allowed total ranks second-lowest in the league.

The strongest link in the Texans' pass coverage is Johnathan Joseph. He was usually perceived as the weaker link in the Cincinnati Bengals' secondary, but as noted in a July Insider article about NFL free agency, during the past two years Joseph had coverage numbers that were actually better than Nnamdi Asomugha's. Joseph's 6.1 YPA this season is even better than his composite YPA during the past two years, and thus it could be said that he was the best free-agent acquisition this past offseason.

Houston also is getting solid coverage from cornerback Jason Allen (7.2 YPA) and superb coverage from safety Glover Quin (4.0 YPA).

As notable as all of these players are, they are nearly irrelevant if not for the performance of Yates.

The expectations for a third-string rookie quarterback who was drafted in the fifth round are quite low, but Yates has greatly exceeded those expectations.

He has shown the poise of a veteran by making zero bad decisions in 84 pass attempts, and his reads have been superb. Yates has had a few miscommunications with receivers, but those sorts of thing should get cleared up with more practice time together. (Note: A bad decision is defined as when a quarterback makes a mental mistake that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover, such as a dropped interception or fumble that is recovered by the offense.)

Yates and this offense will also have a lot greater upside if/when Johnson is able to return and stay in the lineup after his recurring hamstring injury heals.

Getting Johnson back would go a long ways toward eliminating one of the few weaknesses on this Texans team. If that is combined with a first-round bye -- something that could be achieved given Houston's favorable schedule -- and a favorable divisional playoff matchup, it could very easily put the Texans into the AFC Championship Game and only one step away from a date in Super Bowl XLVI.
arb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #37
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We are front page on NFL ESPN page

http://espn.go.com/nfl/

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read