Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2011   #1
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My letter to ESPN

Mods....I assume this is cool here?

So, I just emailed them, they only allow 1000 characters on their submission for the subject matter I was emailing on, so this first one below this is what I ended up sending...it's short and sucks IMO they only allow 1000 charcters....that is nothing....my daughter types 1000 charcters just by accident...total FAIL and I couldn't find and actual something@something email...anyway....here is what I sent first and below that is what I would have sent had they alowed REAL email.....

(*submission and yes...the last part that says FAIL was submitted)
I'm a little confused and concerned as to why the Texans got very little (that I could see when watching) coverage for their recent win last Sunday over the Bengals to reach the playoffs for the first time in their history. Not to mention they did that by winning the division with a 5th round rookie QB out of a basketball school (North Carolina) 3rd stringer in T.J. Yates. Not only that statement alone I would think warrants coverage, but the last second TD to win was incredible as well. I woke up Monday morning to get ready for work eager to watch ESPN and see highlights and relive the emotional high from the day before. The game did not even make the top 10 plays if I remember correctly. In fact, throughout the day on ESPN I saw nearly every game it seemed but this game. I came home at lunch and watched First Take on ESPN2, hoping they would at least touch it after the normal 20 minutes to an hour of Tebow and Cowboys coverage but was left with nothing. (only 1000 characters?...FAIL)

(*original...hey since I wrote this whole damn thing I'm posting it somewhere damnit )
To whom it may concern at ESPN,

I first want to thank you for reading this. I work 2 jobs and don't have much time for TV, so outside of the occasional movie and my LIVE sports games, ESPN before work and at lunch and between jobs most times I am able to watch TV I am tuned into your station. I have a question as it relates to ESPN and whether I should set expectations for it from now on as a Sports News (Journalsm) network or simply Sports Entertainment (hard news may be bypassed for ratings).

I will state up front that I am a die hard Houston sports fan, especially the Texans and this is where my concern comes in and why I emailed you. I'm a little confused and concerned as to why the Texans got very little (that I could see when watching) coverage for their recent win last Sunday over the Bengals to reach the playoffs for the first time in their history. Not to mention they did that by winning the division with a 5th round rookie QB out of a basketball school (North Carolina) 3rd stringer in T.J. Yates. Not only that statement alone I would think warrants coverage, but the last second TD to win was incredible as well. A very exciting game to say the least as was noted by more than just Texans fans but football fans in general.

I woke up Monday morning to get ready for work eager to watch ESPN and see highlights and relive the emotional high from the day before. Only to be severley let down. The game did not even make the top 10 plays if I remember correctly. In fact, throught the day on ESPN I saw nearly every game it seemed but this game. I came home at lunch and watched First Take on ESPN2, hoping they would at least touch it after the normal 20 minutes to an hour of Tebow and Cowboys coverage but was left with nothing that I saw during my lunch hour.

I later got to watch Around the Horn and PTI in between jobs and all I caught was a brief "Mail Time" mention of TJ Yates on PTI. So, while I cannot watch ESPN all day, it is apparent that even if I missed some coverage, there was not much to begin with.

I understand that some of these shows like PTI are more geared towards entertainment so that is mostly for ratings which is fine and opinions of the guys not at the anchor desk may be what they want as they are paid for differing opinions. But I would think this story would at least make the debate on some of these shows.

My main concern is that I view the hard news Sports Center shows as more journalism than anything but lack of covering this story has me confused. I am not trying to attack the brand or company as much as set my expectations correctly when watching. Should I be expececting more of a ratings geared presentation kind of like a TMZ for sports, mainly continuing coverage on Tebow, Dallas, etc, or is it actually journalism yet somehow major stories such as this one are passed over?

Many fans believe or have allowed themselves to be beaten into believing that "Winning will bring respect" but I feel this goes against that theory.

I would greatly appreciate any explantion or clarification if possible and again thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Jordan Gnipp

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My letter to ESPN

Chris Berman gave us some love last night on MNF halftime show, FWIW.
Old 12-13-2011   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Chris Berman gave us some love last night on MNF halftime show, FWIW.
You watched MNF? I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #4
SeminoleTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 112 SeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
You watched MNF? I'm sorry.
Yea I didn't even bother watching that game. MNF games have been really bad lately since it seems sunday nights are the new primetime slot.
SeminoleTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTexan View Post
Yea I didn't even bother watching that game. MNF games have been really bad lately since it seems sunday nights are the new primetime slot.
Next Monday should be a good one. 49ers and Steelers

As for the OP, I guess I just don't understand what good it does to take the time to write letters to these people. I mean, odds are, they fall upon deaf ears even if they respond with their generic responses.

By no means am I baggin on anyone who does.
Old 12-13-2011   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

You watched, which is all ESPN and those who pay for their ads to be on ESPN care about.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #7
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a win/win to ESPN either way.

Either you watch and get pissed off that the Texans don't get any coverage but you still watch.

Or you don't watch and they don't really give a shit if you are upset or not.

I think they sorta gave up on people from certain markets really watching their sportscenter coverage on Monday long ago otherwise they would show more highlights from around the league instead of commenting on Tim Tebow 30 times on repeat for an hour.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2011   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

1000 words is way more than enough to say "Please grant us your approval."

Personally, I don't watch, so we have a mutually indifferent attitude toward each other.
Old 12-13-2011   #9
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 71984 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

As for the OP, I guess I just don't understand what good it does to take the time to write letters to these people. I mean, odds are, they fall upon deaf ears even if they respond with their generic responses.

No, I know what you mean man....I say the same ting to myself as I do it lol...I'm usually a pessimist too so I am sure no one will read that. But sometimes, I just have too much to say to NOT write it you know.

Not sure if that makes sense?

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-13-2011   #10
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
1000 words is way more than enough to say "Please grant us your approval."

Personally, I don't watch, so we have a mutually indifferent attitude toward each other.
I could give a F about some "approval" stuff. I would like to see highlights of an exciting NFL game the day after? Too much to ask?

When this whole subject gets brought up it always seems anyone who brings it up is seeking some kind of approval from national media....I have been around long enough I think most people know I could give a flying F about most of society especially some mammoth mainstream shit, but do your journalistic duty ESPN...not solely lick Tebows nuts.

Not trying to go off on you man, just the comment you made sounds right in line with all the other comments that usually follow somoen brining up the media and it's off base sometimes IMO.

Also, so is the whole "Win and get respect argument"....I'm not seeing it so far and again it's not even about "respect".

Again, not trying to attack so much as frustrated man....

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-13-2011   #11
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to get this less and less every day. If you've got an internet connection, you can be your own ESPN. After the Texans game Sunday, I got game highlights, post game interviews, just everything that ESPN never gives you, with a simple click of the mouse. I don't get why anybody needs ESPN any more.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #12
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I don't get why anybody needs ESPN any more.
Cause I can't watch highlights on my computer while I am in the shower and getting dressed for work like I can watch ESPN while doing those things at home and while on lunch....that's why.

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-13-2011   #13
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

My letter to Jamie Dukes @ NFLN:

Dear Mr. Dukes,

You're an id.iot.

Sincerely,
Texans Nation
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Cause I can't watch highlights on my computer while I am in the shower and getting dressed for work like I can watch ESPN while doing those things at home and while on lunch....that's why.

But they never show the Texans so what difference does it make? And get with the times already. You don't have internet in the shower? Come on, man!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #15
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
But they never show the Texans so what difference does it make? And get with the times already. You don't have internet in the shower? Come on, man!
LMAO.....repped

Dormant bodies bursting!
Old 12-13-2011   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or just connect your TV to your laptop and play all of that computery goodness on your TV.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I know what you mean man....I say the same ting to myself as I do it lol...I'm usually a pessimist too so I am sure no one will read that. But sometimes, I just have too much to say to NOT write it you know.

Not sure if that makes sense?
Makes sense. I gotcha, bro.
Old 12-13-2011   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
My letter to Jamie Dukes @ NFLN:

Dear Mr. Dukes,

You're an id.iot.

Sincerely,
Texans Nation
My name is Asleep, and I approve of this post!
Old 12-13-2011   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I commend people for wanting to write to ESPN to express their displeasure, but you're doing it all wrong.

ESPN is not going to care about what you put on their website emails. They never have. I've sent them many emails over the years expressing what I didn't like about them or their coverage. ESPN will never care about Houston teams until one of them wins a SB or something. They just won't. Either that or until Bob Mcnair gets out of that "we have to be classy" mode and starts doing a ton of things to make the Texans a team that gets talked about like Jerry Jones does. Love him or hate him, JJ has made the Cowboys a huge talking point year after year, and they're from Dallas. If anything that should prove that you don't have to be from LA or NY to be a huge draw for the league, but you've got to make your team stand out somehow other than just by winning. Bob needs to figure that out somehow.

ESPN is going to do what ESPN does though. They're going to find a hype machine and right now it's Tebow Mania, and you might as well count on that for the rest of the season until Tebow and Broncs are out of it.

If you really want to send a message to ESPN and voice your displeasure, then send some letters and messages to their sponsors and inform them that you won't be using any of their products until they stop supporting a network like ESPN and tell them why you hate ESPN. THAT'S WHAT ESPN ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT. THEY CARE ABOUT THEIR SPONSORS BEING HAPPY.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #20
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 167815 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I write too but know it is a losing cause. Local stations are easier to deal with and you can really put them to the screws, ie, make them sorry they ever lied....etc. National monopolies are a little hard of hearing, but still I write where I see the need. If nothing else I then know I did what I could.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read