Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2005   #41
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Carr is a big time player on a small ball team. Capers does not give him the opportunity in normal game situations. How many times was the offense struggling only to move the ball with ease in the 2 minute offense?

His protection is key. One extra second gives AJ and others time to break away and gives David the time to get it to them. I am tired of seeing O linemen helping David up after a hard hit. Are you listening Pitts? I don't know how many times I saw him helping David up last year. Chester, the learning curve has just straightened out. Make the plays or a living driving a truck.
Old 04-30-2005   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyy
That's the Texans party line of course. But then New Orleans took an OL in our spot at #13 so they clearly would disagree. Time will tell but I think we just didn't want to use our top pick on an OL even though there were indeed OL out there that were worthy of that pick. I guess CC likes seeing Carr run for his life.
The OLmen New Orleans picked may have been worth #13, but he made zero cap/improvement sense for the Texans. Wade has played one year of an expensive contract and outside of the high ankle sprain last year has been a very durable/quality player. Cutting him in favor of a rookie would accelerate all his signing bonus to this year. These decisions aren't as simple as some would make out.
Old 04-30-2005   #43
Capster67
Veteran

Default Carr Late in Season

One of my issues with Carr is that he has consistently trailed off in the latter parts of the season (late November/December) every year. I know he's gotten his fair of wear and tear by that time of the season every year, but a true leader finds ways of getting better as the years go on, not worse. I really worry about how he'll perform when we are in the playoff hunt at the end of the year. We can't afford any performances like those he gave us against Cleveland at home to end the season last year.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #44
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He said the reason was there was no quality OL worthy of a #13 pick. And he's the one in charge. New Orleans disagreed with CC's assessment so strongly they were willing to part with a 3rd round pick just to make sure they got an OL in our #13 spot.
I think Cass was specifically refering to a LT offensive lineman, not a RT. I
think NO paid a ton for the Oklahoma RT, because they fetch more than guards/centers but not what top LTs bring - but they obviously wanted him bad and bad enough to pay the price to move up farther to get him.
LT Alex Barron, from what I've read, while athleticaly gifted had pitiful motivation and lacked even a basic interest in playing football, otherwise the Texans might have been interested in taking him with their 13.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #45
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the Texans party line of course. But then New Orleans took an OL in our spot at #13 so they clearly would disagree.
No, that was what the NFL felt in general, not just the Texans. There was not one single Tackle taken in the first round that will play Left Tackle in the pros. Every singe one of them went to Right Tackle, including Barron. LEFT TACKLE is what most of you guys are complaining about. The early tackles aren't going to play the LT position and LT was so weak that NO team picked a player to man that spot from this 1st round.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Since the Rams have already announced that Barron will play RT and the Saints have Brown penciled in at RT its really not that tough.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #47
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capster67
We can't afford any performances like those he gave us against Cleveland at home to end the season last year.
Were you watching the same game I was? DC had ZERO protection on any of the pass plays & spent the afternoon either on his back or running for his life. I can't attribute that loss to DCs inability, but I can to OLine ... JMHO.
Old 04-30-2005   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I realize you're a smart guy Vinny, but I didn't realize how smart. Not only do you know what every team in the NFL was thinking (amazing since those are closely guarded secrets), you can also predict exactly where on the OL every draft pick will play in the NFL before even the teams have seen the players in camp. You should be running an NFL team rather than a message board.
Well gee, there were a whopping 2 OT's taken in the 1st round. One played RT in college, was projected by just about every expert to play RT in the NFL and was drafted by a team in need of a RT. The other went to Orlando Pace's team. No offense to Vinny, but it hardly seems like rocket science to figure out none of the 1st round tackles is going to be playing LT anytime soon.
Old 04-30-2005   #49
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the 20 and 12 should be an unreasonable am't for carr

I don't understand everyones gripe about Wand.. It was his 1st year.. I don't have the stats in front of me but I thought that someone put some stats up that showed that Wand had a better year than Pitts did in his first year at tackle.... Interior of the line is what I find that needed work.. as I have stated in other threads .. when was the last time you saw a picture perfect pocket for Carr to step up in?

Carr should have a better year.. He gets more weapons.. He gets A RB..a WR ...and hopefully a HEALTHY TE ...

*edit*
People complain that we draft a RB in the 3rd.. People complain that we draft a QB a few years ago.. I like both.. What Morency is the same type of runner as DD.. well if DD goes down or Morency goes down.. We can still keep running our offense.. Same goes with if Carr goes down.. and ragone becomes 2nd string.. We can still run the same type of offense... Believe it or not..and we dont' get to see much of it due to OL woes.. Palmer likes to throw the long ball...Ragone and Carr can both do that...(and NO I am not jumping on the Ragone bandwagon just because NFLE... Capers himself said that (or maybe Casserly) when we drafted Ragone... Now they did the same thing with Morency... being DD gets banged up a bunch.

As far as Mathis.. hopefully he can take Bradfords spot... We still got a burner to back Bradford.. lets hope he can catch Carr's passes

Last edited by Wolf; 04-30-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #50
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

3 more years
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #51
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another lame thread!!! Gezzzzzzzzzz!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #52
wiley2002
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD
David needs a good TE.

David needs a better performance from the offensive line.

David needs to be healthy all year for this team to do some damage.

David also needs a haircut. New style something. He got on my nerves last year messing with his hair so much. Just kidding. He's a nice looking guy.
I prefer the buzz look but, hey, if the wife says different why fight it? The long haired Carr is kind of growing on me.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #53
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
FILO Girl I'm very happy with the responses given here. What upset me is that folks act like this is a question that can't be asked. As soon as you question it its like how dare I even bring it up.

I am a Carr supporter but that doesn't mean he's exempt from being questioned. This was more so to the point for the texans and any other NFL team at what point do you realize you need a new qb and go in a new direction at that position. Everyone says bringing in a new qb sets a team back 2 or 3 years.

I think Carr has been let down in this year's draft. I felt like at LEAST 3 picks should have gone to OL.
Ask what you want, but be prepared for all answers. I get roasted once in awhile, no biggie. We all have opinions, and once in awhile you will find one that matches your own. LOL!
I have questioned David several times myself. It is OK to question, doesn't mean you are not a fan. Some questioning is good, shows you form your opinion on what YOU see, not on just what some hack reporter sees.

I see your frustration about the O line. I have it myself. I am not totally sold on "this year they will be better". My boss doesn't give me a full season to know my position, should we let our O line have this too? I have been told I don't see the whole picture on this. It is possible, I think I was wrong once, a long time ago...... (that was a joke)
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #54
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup, you do what the wife likes if your smart.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #55
texan2061
Rookie

If he does not prove himself this season, it's time to start looking for another quarterback. Also, if the Texans does not have a winning season this season, it's time for Capers to go.
texan2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #56
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the Texans party line of course. But then New Orleans took an OL in our spot at #13 so they clearly would disagree. Time will tell but I think we just didn't want to use our top pick on an OL even though there were indeed OL out there that were worthy of that pick. I guess CC likes seeing Carr run for his life.
That's what I wanna do....draft average at best picks in the 1st because the 'AINTS did it. If we drafted all the top prospects this year AND signed all of last years top OL, they would still need a year or so to gel. Why is that so hard to understand? The OL is the hardest place to try to "plug and play" with different personnel.'04 was a mix of new players, players at new positions and a new scheme. Growing pains are part of the process. I hope poor draft choices don't become part of it.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #57
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc
Carr is a big time player on a small ball team. Capers does not give him the opportunity in normal game situations. How many times was the offense struggling only to move the ball with ease in the 2 minute offense?

His protection is key. One extra second gives AJ and others time to break away and gives David the time to get it to them. I am tired of seeing O linemen helping David up after a hard hit. Are you listening Pitts? I don't know how many times I saw him helping David up last year. Chester, the learning curve has just straightened out. Make the plays or a living driving a truck.
Dude....Pitts is pretty dang good lineman.
Old 04-30-2005   #58
canadiantexan
Veteran

I can't believe that there is another thread questioning David Carr's ability(especialy on this message board). David ran for the second most yards in the league last year among quaterbacks. Mr. Carr also threw for more yards in the AFC than anyone except for Manning, Brady, Plummer and Trent Green thats pretty good company. David Carr has gotten better every year and I would suggest that as a rookie if he had went to a team that was'nt in it's expansion he would damn close to a pro bowler now. David is our franchise guy and will prove that to all his doubters this year.

Get aboard or get the **** out of the way!
canadiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #59
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantexan
I can't believe that there is another thread questioning David Carr's ability(especialy on this message board). David ran for the second most yards in the league last year among quaterbacks. Mr. Carr also threw for more yards in the AFC than anyone except for Manning, Brady, Plummer and Trent Green thats pretty good company. David Carr has gotten better every year and I would suggest that as a rookie if he had went to a team that was'nt in it's expansion he would damn close to a pro bowler now. David is our franchise guy and will prove that to all his doubters this year.

Get aboard or get the **** out of the way!
Um....what this guy said. By the way, if Quebec secedes and Alberta follows suit, do you think Alberta will join the states a la' Alaska? Alberta has oil.....
Old 05-01-2005   #60
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

When you look at this topic you have account for alot of things. #1 their are bigger fish to fry- lets just assume Carr isn't cutting the job and isnt our franchise qb (which btw he is the complete oppisite). What good is it going to do to replace him. If you do replace him your going to have to go through the whole learning curve again with another qb that has to learn the playbook all over again (which will scrap the progress we have made over the past 3 years) and on top of that your going to be throwing him behind the same Oline- which will do absolutely no good. So even if we did have a inept qb, we have a even worse oline. First things first we would still need to establish a solid ol, because it isn't going to do any good plugging another qb behind this line. If you did all that your just exposing another qb to punishment and setting him up for failure. So before we post these questions we need to get the line in order. Also what is the worst that you could say about David last year. He was probably avg. or a notch below avg. and thats behind arguably the worst line in football. Just imagine how much better he or our passing game would be behind a avg. oline, that he would be able trust in, where he could wait to the last second and be able to stand tall in the pocket. I got tired of seeing him have to fire out passes to recievers that were in the middle of running routes. One thing is for sure when he does get a solid Oline he should have great poise, cause he has been passing under fire for 3 years now.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read