Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2011   #61
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Wade bails out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Wade's had his opportunities to be HC in the NFL with the Broncos, Bills & Cowboys & for the most pary they always end the same way....at some point his teams just get too lax & he begins to lose them. I think most people in the NFL know that he's just not a HC & Wade himself may not even want to delve into that crap again. I think as long as Bob pays him, he'd be content to stay here in a role he knows he can be successful in & in a city where he's got so many fond memories.
Yep,

BoBBy needs to pay Wade and give him the LeBeau treatment.

If Wade leaves (I wouldn't blame him) I would just say thanks for making this season the most memorable on in Texans history.

Del Rio would then be the 1st phone call I made.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #62
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think coaach Wade should just finish out his coaching career here in Houston.
Old 12-13-2011   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If I'm choosing out of the two, I'm taking Wade all day. Before this season, he had gotten Dallas to the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons while Gary was 0-5 in making the post season and is not about to go for the first time when Wade comes here. I'll take some of that Wade.
Wade isn't spotless as a HC. That job in Dallas, that was his defense giving up on him.

His problem wasn't winning, like Norv, it was not winning in the play-offs.

Kubiak may be the answer to Wade's prayers as much as Wade is Kubiak's
Old 12-13-2011   #64
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
DAYUUUUUM!!!!! Wade's $$ must've bought him one fine ass wife. And his daughter inherited her looks. THANK GOD!!! Those pics made my little sticker peck out.
WAIT, WHAT??? You didn't want to negative rep me for that??? Thats new!
Old 12-13-2011   #65
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade leaves...we're back to 8-8'ish. Even Sean Cody said recently: "A lot of the defensive success goes to Wade."

As I have been saying for the last week or so, THIS IS WADE'S TEAM.

The 2011 Texans belongs to Wade Phillips. Yes, Gary gets a lot of credit for keeping the qb situation under control, but, no way any of that would happen without a "Kill yo mamma" defense."

This defense is evil and ferocious.

Gary Kubiak didn't do that.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #66
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

And as he told the Chronicle on Monday, hes hoping other teams have noticed the job hes done.

I think I have something to offer, Phillips said. Look, Im enjoying this. This is a super job. I want to be clear about that I dont want anybody to think I dont enjoy what Im doing and the people Im associated with.

I dont want to be somewhere else, but Id like to be able to be a head coach again.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...medium=twitter
digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #67
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Wade isn't spotless as a HC. That job in Dallas, that was his defense giving up on him.

His problem wasn't winning, like Norv, it was not winning in the play-offs.

Kubiak may be the answer to Wade's prayers as much as Wade is Kubiak's
Concur.
Wade's D without Gary's O = Jacksonville.
Gary's O without Wade's D = 6-10 Texans
Wade's D + Gary's O = Magic!

I thought Wade understood that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2011   #68
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Concur.
Wade's D without Gary's O = Jacksonville.
Gary's O without Wade's D = 6-10 Texans
Wade's D + Gary's O = Magic!

I thought Wade understood that.
Yep!!!

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #69
TheGoldenGreek
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade Phillips gets an offer as a head coach somewhere and leaves, I think the Texans should promote either Reggie Herring or Vance Joseph to defensive coordinator. Both guys have done tremendous jobs with their position groups this year and I think their work this year merits a promotion just as much as Wades does.
Old 12-14-2011   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalswim View Post
And as he told the Chronicle on Monday, he’s hoping other teams have noticed the job he’s done.

“I think I have something to offer,” Phillips said. “Look, I’m enjoying this. This is a super job. I want to be clear about that — I don’t want anybody to think I don’t enjoy what I’m doing and the people I’m associated with.

“I don’t want to be somewhere else, but I’d like to be able to be a head coach again.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...medium=twitter
"I don’t want to be somewhere else, but I’d like to be able to be a head coach again.” - Wade Phillips

Is this Wade saying (paraphrasing) "I love it here. I don't want to go somewhere else. I mean, yeah...it'd be nice to be a head coach again and kick the tires and all that....but who knows. I'm loving life here right now."

This is why I think it's just a leverage tool to try and get more money and a longer term on his contract with the Texans. Such double talk has GOT to be a scare tactic to pry more money from McNair. It's savvy business maneuvering, IMO.

I just wonder why the guy would even dare to say these types of things when we're finally in the midst of a tremendously successful season. Why do this? It kinda' pisses me off, actually.

I said, way back when we hired Wade for d-coord, that IF the guy has success...it MIGHT create a Wade vs. Gary environment. Not that there would be a Civil War between the Offense and Defense...but that it COULD create a sense of "Who exactly took this team into playoff waters???" and that's a dangerous place to be, people splintering into factions and creating an unhealthy dynamic.

I don't think that dynamic is here right now, it certainly doesn't appear to be the case right now--Especially when you see the unity of the whole team and how each side is holding up its own end of the bargain. But this bit of oddity from Wade Phillips is not helpful.

Makes me wonder if Wade has since had a sit-down with Bob and Rick to discuss the comments and try to zero in on the weight of those comments in light of what has got to be Bob McNair's best week of his 10-year life as Texans owner. I could see Bob McNair making sure NOBODY screws this opportunity up, can't you? Which makes me think Wade is playing some head games with Bob and trying to remind him who is taking him to the dance.

Dammit.....
Old 12-14-2011   #71
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what? If Wade does this shit ONE MORE TIME before the Super Bowl is played and over with, he should be fired and ran out of town. I mean it, too.

Bob McNair should show his ass the door and kick it on out into the street.

Promote from within, like many have suggested. In essence, tell the whole mother truckin' organization--especially the players on defense--that we will not tolerate ANY distractions when we're this close to the Super Bowl.

If Wade Phillips wants to campaign for feeler offers as a HC with some dumpy ass team out there who wants to poach our success from us, then he's doing so at the expense of every player who broke his back for this team this year. You heard me. He'd be guilty of surfing the blood, sweat and tears of guys like Mario Williams, Matt Schaub, Danieal Manning, Brett Hartmann, Andre Johnson, all three running backs, Briesel, and a guy like Kubiak who has somehow held this team together through so much crap such as inheriting David Carr, taking gambles on a QB named Matt Schaub (gave up 2 2nd rounders for him) and Arian Foster, suffering through the season of Hurricane Ike, etc.

That was a reckless thing to say, IMO. No worse than Mario street racing. This is just typical of the way our luck goes. We finally get to be somebody and the d-coord is being reckless with his mouth to the media.

So effing typical. It'd be funny if it weren't so frustratingly typical.
Old 12-14-2011   #72
LEATHERHEAD
Veteran

Section: 123 C
Rep Power: 1017 LEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respectedLEATHERHEAD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Don`t leave wade phillips

I just heard on 610 that Wade phillips would like to coach again??i thought he had a 2 or 4 year contract...damn you have to keep him no matter what...

defence for 32nd--1st..omg..with all the people that have been hurt all the stuff we have been through this year..now they start this crap
LEATHERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #73
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

those are pretty revealing comments by wade, i was previously of the belief that he would stay as long as the money is right, but to make such an awkward comment during a critical part of the season leads me to think he'll take less money to be a head coach elsewhere.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #74
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
If Wade leaves...we're back to 8-8'ish. Even Sean Cody said recently: "A lot of the defensive success goes to Wade."

As I have been saying for the last week or so, THIS IS WADE'S TEAM.

The 2011 Texans belongs to Wade Phillips. Yes, Gary gets a lot of credit for keeping the qb situation under control, but, no way any of that would happen without a "Kill yo mamma" defense."

This defense is evil and ferocious.

Gary Kubiak didn't do that.
Cody said it right, a lot of the defensive success goes to Wade.

Some of you guys are acting like we would be winning games if our offense played like the Jacksonville Jaguars or the Cleveland Browns.

We're #5 in total offense, #5 in scoring offense, #1 in T.O.P. all without Andre Johnson for the Majority of our games, without Arian Foster for 2 games, never playing more than a half of football with Schaub, Andre, & Arian on the field at the same time.

The defense is doing their job, but they've got one of the best offenses in the league doing their job as well.

The NFL is about the team & this is Garry's team.
Old 12-14-2011   #75
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I refuse to believe that Wade will be anywhere but on the Texans staff next year. And I will not listen to arguments to the contrary no matter how good they are. The universe is in perfect working order with Wade in Houston and it shall stay that way.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #76
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
"I dont want to be somewhere else, but Id like to be able to be a head coach again. - Wade Phillips

Is this Wade saying (paraphrasing) "I love it here. I don't want to go somewhere else. I mean, yeah...it'd be nice to be a head coach again and kick the tires and all that....but who knows. I'm loving life here right now."

This is why I think it's just a leverage tool to try and get more money and a longer term on his contract with the Texans. Such double talk has GOT to be a scare tactic to pry more money from McNair. It's savvy business maneuvering, IMO.

I just wonder why the guy would even dare to say these types of things when we're finally in the midst of a tremendously successful season. Why do this? It kinda' pisses me off, actually.
I don't have a problem with Wade as a head coach. I never have. But, I never studied him as a HC either. I do know the problem could never have been his ability to win. He's been a winner everywhere he's been.

This, comment, may be the first insight to why it hasn't worked for him.

You can't control the questions the reporters ask, but you should have some idea what will be asked & be prepared to give an answer that is good for you & your team.

Coach-speak is an art & Kubiak is a master. We may not like it when we get it from Kubiak, but we obviously don't like it when we get this kind of stuff from his staff.

Actually, good for you is the last thing you should expect from Coach-Speak. Kubiak falls on the sword every time when it's something bad & he metes out the credit any time it's something good.

Wade should learn from Kubiak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I said, way back when we hired Wade for d-coord, that IF the guy has success...it MIGHT create a Wade vs. Gary environment. Not that there would be a Civil War between the Offense and Defense...but that it COULD create a sense of "Who exactly took this team into playoff waters???" and that's a dangerous place to be, people splintering into factions and creating an unhealthy dynamic.

I don't think that dynamic is here right now, it certainly doesn't appear to be the case right now--Especially when you see the unity of the whole team and how each side is holding up its own end of the bargain. But this bit of oddity from Wade Phillips is not helpful.

Makes me wonder if Wade has since had a sit-down with Bob and Rick to discuss the comments and try to zero in on the weight of those comments in light of what has got to be Bob McNair's best week of his 10-year life as Texans owner. I could see Bob McNair making sure NOBODY screws this opportunity up, can't you? Which makes me think Wade is playing some head games with Bob and trying to remind him who is taking him to the dance.

Dammit.....
If anyone is going to have a sit down with Wade, it should be Kubiak. He is the HC. It's his job to keep the team together & having a talk with Wade about what was said is about keeping the team together.

Usually, you don't hear anything from the Texans' assistant coaches, I thought that was one of Kubiak's tenets, maybe that is not the case with Wade & it could possibly lead to trouble down the line.

The problem in Dallas, was that there were two head coaches. Head coach offense & head coach defense. The defense laid down on Wade, because they (I think) blamed the offense for their ills, & didn't see anything getting better on the offensive side of the ball & I think they blamed Wade for that.

That doesn't happen in Houston, the offense & the defense (far as I can tell) follow the same rule & are held to the same standard.

Wades done an excellent job with our defense. But this has been a team thing.
Old 12-14-2011   #77
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont want to be somewhere else, but Id like to be able to be a head coach again.

I think its clear he wants to be a head coach. Question is, will another team give him a shot? If they do, he is 1 and done.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #78
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I am beyond furious that he would start this controversy at the most important part of our season! WHY would he do this?

Last edited by Texanfan4ever; 12-14-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #79
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18240 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

I think its clear he wants to be a head coach. Question is, will another team give him a shot? If they do, he is 1 and done.
Hopefully this medical leave of absence with turn off the interest in him. This is his second one in a year. Maybe too risky for teams given his age.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #80
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Hopefully this medical leave of absence with turn off the interest in him. This is his second one in a year. Maybe too risky for teams given his age.
Unfortunately for Wade, you may be dead on, but when was the other time?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read