Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2011   #41
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Wade bails out?

Wade has been coaching in the NFL for years, actually decades including several gigs as a HC and he's not worth just millions, he's surely worth tens and tens of millions of dollars and I doubt very seriously that money is a big consern of his at this point in his life/career. But I'm just as confidant that coaching again at the highest level is a top priority, so lets be thankful we had him here for atleast one season to get our defense pointed in the right direction and hopefully we can get another DC to run the same kind of 3-4 scheme Wade did
while he was with the Texans.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #42
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

First, McCLain is a rumor monger, stirrer of sh*t, a master of yellow journalism, and not necessarily in that order.

Second, Wade won't leave (I'm pretty sure). Why?

Wade is old enough to figure out after Dallas that he isn't a head coach but he is one heckuva DC. He wants to be close to his parents now since they are getting older. He has a better chance of getting a SB ring here than any place he would become head coach.

It only makes good sense that he stay here. 1 million/10 million - big deal - at his age you can only spend so much, fun and a SB ring mean more than money and I think he is really enjoying himself here.

She Texan - learn to twitter/tweet/whatever it is called - you learn a lot that way with very little effort.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #43
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks healthier and happier here.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #44
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
WHAT!!!? When did Justice leave? I haven't taken the local ragsheet in years, and RJ is part of the reason!! Where have I been? Can't believe I didn't know that! Damn, gettin OLD is a biatch! I gotta do a better job of keeping up!!

EDIT: Sorry! I got so excited about what GP wrote i forgot what I wanted to post!

Bum is gettin old, and I doubt Wade will want to stray very far from his Dad. He has it all, right here in H-town, and from what I've heard from interviews, he's very happy doing what he's doing. He's a "homeboy" and that means a lot to him. He'll stay close to Dad! JMO!!
Justice is now a MLB.com writer. It was posted on the main forum, but then got moved (appropriately so) to another forum where it made more sense for it.

But yeah, dude is gone. It's like Highlander...when one warrior beheads another, he gains that person's power.
Old 12-13-2011   #45
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
If he leaves, then he leaves. Can't do too much about it.

A couple of negatives for him as a head coach candidiate:

1. The man is 64 years old. These days the NFL is all about finding that hot up and coming coordinator or trying to lure the Superbowl coach out of retirement. Wade never was a Super Bowl winning coach and is not a youngster. being a Head coach may be for a younger guy.

2. As a head coach, while his teams have won a lot of games, they have significantly underachieved in the playoffs. In 2007, his 13-3 Cowboys laid an egg and lost to the Giants, who they should have beaten. In 2008, his team did not even make the playoffs. In 2009, they got stomped on 34-3 by Minnesota and the vaunted Dallas D led by Wade was humiliated. That of course led to him getting fired last year after a disastrous 1-7 start. He has a 1-5 record in the post season. His teams have never gotten past the AFC or NFC divisional series despite having some pretty stacked teams.

3. Wade reminds me of Marty Schotenheimer. In fact they are about the same age. Both are defensive minded coaches who had underachieving playoff teams. Marty was 5-13 and Wade is 1-5. When Marty was fired he couldn't get an NFL job anywhere and finally got a chance in the UFL this past season.

4. Does he even really want to leave. As a D coordinator in Htown he has complete control of his defense. In the draft he had complete control over picking players he needed for his defense. In Htown, his Head coach is a guy who looked up to him and his father. Wade is a Texas Good Old Boy whose schtick and demeanor work well in Htown, but it doesn't play nearly as well other places. In San Diego, Denver, and Buffalo he was criticized numerous times for being a "drawling Texan." Being a D coordinator as long as his D plays reasonably well he deflects all criticism. He also seems to genuinely enjoy coaching defensive players.

My guess is he stays this for one additional year. Next year will be the key. If he stays a second year he may become our perennial D coordinator like Lebau became to Pitt.
You are absolutely correct about #1, and that is why if he gets an offer to be a Head Coach again he will take it. Because there may not be another one coming again soon.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #46
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Wade will actually stay put for at least a year or two more, and I have 2 reasons to think this:

1) He is currently the highest paid D coordinator in the NFL. Of course, he could make more as a HC, but he is not exactly hurting at the moment.

"A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

2) Somewhere on an espn article I read that he said he was fed up with being a head coach. Said he wanted to get back to what he knew and just be a defensive guy for a bit. He also said that he was really happy to be back home in Houston.

I think this is a prime spot for him. As some of you have mentioned, he is getting older and I think would love to just stay with his home town and coach what he loves. He has said before that being a coordinator is still coaching, and that is all he wants to do is be able to coach. It sounded to me like he was content (for the time being) to just do his thing and ride into the sunset eventually.
Old 12-13-2011   #47
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Wow. Sure enough. Found this audio clip of McClain talking to Vandy & Lopez yesterday morning.

LINK

I seriously can't imagine anyone hiring a 64 year old DC who has flopped (in the playoffs) at the HC position everywhere he's been.

I suppose UH could consider him....
This should have been a conversation for the off-season, not pre-playoffs

Crapola...

Well, I guess the good news is no team can approach him until we're officially out of the playoffs. Hopefully that will be in February.

I wonder if Uncle Bob has to grant permission for teams to interview Wade...? You know AZ shut the door on us a few years back to keep us from talking to F. Bush....
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2011   #48
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
This should have been a conversation for the off-season, not pre-playoffs

Crapola...
I doubt he bails tho
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #49
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe:

-Wade does want to be a head coach, but only if its just the right situation. THIS is what works in our favor the most.

-We're well built to run the 3-4 defense now.

-If Wade leaves, our talent on defense doesn't leave with him.

-As long as Kubiak doesn't go and hire John Benton to be his DC (Reid-Castillo jab if ya get my drift) we should sustain a high level of defensive production.

-We should not hire a rookie DC. I like Vance Joseph, he comes off as a really bright guy and has done wonders with the secondary, but calling a defensive gameplan and dialing up the right plays at the right time is a whole new animal. If we've learned anything from Wade this year, it's that experience is important.

-Mike Nolan is someone to keep an eye on. He won't be back with the Dolphins and he's been a very successful 3-4 DC before. And guess what? Nolan has A) Broncos connections from 1992 when he was a linebackers coach and B) guess who was his DC for the Broncos in 92? One Wade Phillips.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #50
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: If Wade bails out?

John Mclame......seems like all that guy wants to talk about in press conference or on 610 is how Phillips will leave......talk about Debbie Downer...someone should do a youtube putting that in there....that would be funny.....

Marc Vandameer got pissed on the radio when Lopez talked about John Mcclame comments.....he said shut up.....lol
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #51
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I read an article this weekend wondering what coach or ex-coach may end up where, and it stated fairly positively that Wad ewould be staying put. I'll look for the link.
I think Bum would kick Wade's ass if he left. He's on record saying how much he lived and died with every play and how proud he was of the job Wade's done in Houston.
Wade's under contract, so we don't have to let him go. I don't see Kubes doing that, though.
Did anyone else notice how reserved Wade was during the video of the locker room after the Falcon's game?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
John McClain said so on AM 610 about 5:30 last night. He said there was a lot of interest in Phillips as a head coach around the league after the job he has done in Houston this year.
McClain is full of crap. As usual. I don't want to bash Wade, because I think he's an outstanding coach and players love to play for him. But, he's not getting another head coaching gig. That has nothing to do with his ability, and everything to do with his age and looks. NFL owners do not want their franchise represented by a older, obese, gray-headed man. That's not fair. But that's the way it is, now.
Old 12-13-2011   #53
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Garbage tabloid speculation is all McClain has these days. We would not be talking about him if not for this spewage. He is irrelevant, and the fact that he is bring this up at every interview just confirms that his blog needs hits so he's not put out to pasture by the Comical.
Old 12-13-2011   #54
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I wonder if Uncle Bob has to grant permission for teams to interview Wade...? You know AZ shut the door on us a few years back to keep us from talking to F. Bush....
Yes, the Texans would have to allow Wade to interview for a head coaching position. Arizona blocked the Texans from taking a defensive coordinator job (make that co-coordinator). In retrospect, the Cards were trying to do the Texans a favor.
Old 12-13-2011   #55
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Yes, the Texans would have to allow Wade to interview for a head coaching position. Arizona blocked the Texans from taking a defensive coordinator job (make that co-coordinator). In retrospect, the Cards were trying to do the Texans a favor.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #56
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Wade loves Houston.
2. Wade fed up with HC job.
3. Wade is happy in Houston.

Not going anywhere.

In Wade We Trust!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #57
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Cheese and Rice peeps!! Give it a rest!! Can we at least finish out this season before we speculate on what happens with Wade until next season???

We have Wade which brings us this (his daughter):

With the addition of Jeff Garcia bringing this (his wife):

So.... SOOOOoooo please people, quit jacking with my "Dream Season"!!!

Bastages!!!

*EDIT*

I need to be careful because "DickBar" might negative rep. me again for interjecting a few things: a) levity b) facetiousness and c) overall humor!

FML!!
Old 12-13-2011   #58
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Cheese and Rice peeps!! Give it a rest!! Can we at least finish out this season before we speculate on what happens with Wade until next season???

We have Wade which brings us this (his daughter):

With the addition of Jeff Garcia bringing this (his wife):

So.... SOOOOoooo please people, quit jacking with my "Dream Season"!!!

Bastages!!!

*EDIT*

I need to be careful because "DickBar" might negative rep. me again for interjecting a few things: a) levity b) facetiousness and c) overall humor!

FML!!
DAYUUUUUM!!!!! Wade's $$ must've bought him one fine ass wife. And his daughter inherited her looks. THANK GOD!!! Those pics made my little sticker peck out.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #59
bo orlando
Veteran

Rep Power: 1426 bo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respectedbo orlando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
John McClain should have his a$$ kicked to next Sunday for doing this, btw.

Here we are, in the midst of our first ever playoff season...in the middle of the week as we try to gain more momentum to grab a 1st round bye...and he has to drop this sort of shit on everyone???

Thanks, John. You're a champ. As if there's not a dozen OTHER things you could be reporting and commenting on...such as Yates' rise, Turk's return and how well he did vs. Bengals for us, multiple "playoff" stories involving interviews with players and Texans personnel, the release of Mason and try to talk about who replaces him and why, the injury to Briesel and what's going to happen there, and on and on and on.....

But, he has to try and scoop a story. Whether his boss(es) are telling him to pursue this, or whether he is going after it himself, makes no difference. At this point, he's the ONLY distracting voice in H-Town with this bilge.

Thanks a lot, John. I guess since Justice is gone...there was a d-bag void that had to be filled. Looks like the job is yours to lose.
Say what you want about McClain, but I've never found him to be the type of sportswriter who makes stuff up to get attention. He's usually more the type who fails to cover interesting stories in order to curry favor with the team. I have no doubt that Wade is a HC candidate in several places-- he has to be with the job he's done this year. And I also have no doubt that Wade would prefer being a HC to a DC, certainly after the bitterness he must feel the way his Dallas tenure ended. Will another team actually hire him? Who knows? Will Wade actually leave a comfortable, promising hometown job to take over a rebuilding project with a shaky QB like Jacksonville? Who knows? But don't shoot the messenger McClain for reporting on a subject we're all thinking about.
bo orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #60
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
McNair will pay Wade to stay.
Wade aint goin anywhere. What better job to have .... You get all the glory Gary takes all the heat.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read