Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2011   #1
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Wade bails out?

I keep hearing talking sports heads say Wade jumps at the next head coaching position.

Who do we get to replace him?

The guy that is the D-coord at UH is a Wade desciple and was the former DC at Dallas.

Might be a good fit? Who else plays a similar 3-4 scheme..

(and not just a regular 3-4)

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Wade bails out?

Vance Joseph becomes D-Coordinator.

The job he has done with our secondary is quite remarkable.

Promote him if Wade leaves.
Old 12-13-2011   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Then we make Wade the head coach.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair will pay Wade to stay.
Old 12-13-2011   #5
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

ha ha. Might make the team better if Wade is the HC and Gary is the OC. He could focus even more on play calling..

Or maybe we could just pay Wade like a second head coach? I sure would hate for the guy to leave Houston -- gives me the same "gut punch" feeling as when Bud fired Bum..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Then we make Wade the head coach.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Wade may be content at this stage to coach here for a few years.
Old 12-13-2011   #7
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
I keep hearing talking sports heads say Wade jumps at the next head coaching position.

Who do we get to replace him?

The guy that is the D-coord at UH is a Wade desciple and was the former DC at Dallas.

Might be a good fit? Who else plays a similar 3-4 scheme..

(and not just a regular 3-4)

TJ
If you're going to go with the UH defensive coordinator, then I would consider A&M's coordinator. The defense wasn't that good this year, but I don't think he had a whole lot of talent to work with either.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2011   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
ha ha. Might make the team better if Wade is the HC and Gary is the OC. He could focus even more on play calling..

Or maybe we could just pay Wade like a second head coach? I sure would hate for the guy to leave Houston -- gives me the same "gut punch" feeling as when Bud fired Bum..

TJ
If I'm choosing out of the two, I'm taking Wade all day. Before this season, he had gotten Dallas to the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons while Gary was 0-5 in making the post season and is not about to go for the first time when Wade comes here. I'll take some of that Wade.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll give you the same answer as Kubiak gave monday, if it happens it happens and good luck to him. It's part of the game.

Not that I think he's leaving, but if he does then ok, and good luck
Old 12-13-2011   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If I'm choosing out of the two, I'm taking Wade all day. Before this season, he had gotten Dallas to the playoffs 2 out of 4 seasons while Gary was 0-5 in making the post season and is not about to go for the first time when Wade comes here. I'll take some of that Wade.
The main reason I would rather have Gary over Wade is the difference in passion and commitment they inspire in their players. Wade's team quit on him in Dallas. You can say a lot about Kube's past failings, but his players have always fought tooth and nail for him, even if entirely impotent in their efforts.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #11
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I'll give you the same answer as Kubiak gave monday, if it happens it happens and good luck to him. It's part of the game.

Not that I think he's leaving, but if he does then ok, and good luck
What if he leaves? Well, then we may suck again.

Now, if you were Jacksonville or Indianapolis, wouldn't you be calling the guy? Not to say he would leave for those teams, but man wouldn't that suck if he left for one of those teams
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I will wait and see if Wade even wants to be a HC again before I worry about who is next.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #13
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
What if he leaves? Well, then we may suck again.

Now, if you were Jacksonville or Indianapolis, wouldn't you be calling the guy? Not to say he would leave for those teams, but man wouldn't that suck if he left for one of those teams
Whatever will be, will be.

I'm too old to worry about that stuff, it happens for both players & coaches. If we revert back to suck, well then... I'll still be here, such is fandom

Ride that rollercoaster!!!
Old 12-13-2011   #14
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I will wait and see if Wade even wants to be a HC again before I worry about who is next.
This. +1

Where are you guys getting all this from? Where did you hear that Wade wanted to leave?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
This. +1

Where are you guys getting all this from? Where did you hear that Wade wanted to leave?
So what you're really saying is that the sky is falling?
Old 12-13-2011   #16
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain said so on AM 610 about 5:30 last night. He said there was a lot of interest in Phillips as a head coach around the league after the job he has done in Houston this year. And he said that Phillips was very much interested in pursuing those offers because of course he wants to be a head coach again - they all do.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #17
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
John McClain said so on AM 610 about 5:30 last night. He said there was a lot of interest in Phillips as a head coach around the league after the job he has done in Houston this year. And he said that Phillips was very much interested in pursuing those offers because of course he wants to be a head coach again - they all do.
If he leaves, then he leaves. Can't do too much about it.

A couple of negatives for him as a head coach candidiate:

1. The man is 64 years old. These days the NFL is all about finding that hot up and coming coordinator or trying to lure the Superbowl coach out of retirement. Wade never was a Super Bowl winning coach and is not a youngster. being a Head coach may be for a younger guy.

2. As a head coach, while his teams have won a lot of games, they have significantly underachieved in the playoffs. In 2007, his 13-3 Cowboys laid an egg and lost to the Giants, who they should have beaten. In 2008, his team did not even make the playoffs. In 2009, they got stomped on 34-3 by Minnesota and the vaunted Dallas D led by Wade was humiliated. That of course led to him getting fired last year after a disastrous 1-7 start. He has a 1-5 record in the post season. His teams have never gotten past the AFC or NFC divisional series despite having some pretty stacked teams.

3. Wade reminds me of Marty Schotenheimer. In fact they are about the same age. Both are defensive minded coaches who had underachieving playoff teams. Marty was 5-13 and Wade is 1-5. When Marty was fired he couldn't get an NFL job anywhere and finally got a chance in the UFL this past season.

4. Does he even really want to leave. As a D coordinator in Htown he has complete control of his defense. In the draft he had complete control over picking players he needed for his defense. In Htown, his Head coach is a guy who looked up to him and his father. Wade is a Texas Good Old Boy whose schtick and demeanor work well in Htown, but it doesn't play nearly as well other places. In San Diego, Denver, and Buffalo he was criticized numerous times for being a "drawling Texan." Being a D coordinator as long as his D plays reasonably well he deflects all criticism. He also seems to genuinely enjoy coaching defensive players.

My guess is he stays this for one additional year. Next year will be the key. If he stays a second year he may become our perennial D coordinator like Lebau became to Pitt.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #18
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I think more and more teams are starting to realize that it wasn't Wade Phillips who ruined the Cowboys, it was Jerry interfering with Wade Phillips that ruined the Cowboys, the Texans defense this year proves it. It makes sense that hes getting offers but if I was in his position I would look at what I have to work with. One of the youngest and most talented group of defensive players in the league, a front office, owner and GM who will draft who you want if you need it or want it, and the chance to be a part of what will hopefully become a Dynasty football team in the 2010's starting with 2011/2012. I think he would be a fool to walk away from what he has here, and I know Bum didn't raise no fool.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #19
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131013 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade Jumps ship I will PERSONALLY kick his muff-huggin' ass. Anyone in the Blue Crew (other than SheTexan) want to join me on this one?

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #20
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Uncle Wade will be made happy and we will take care of him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read