Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you handle Matt Schaub's contract?
Trade him for picks this off-season, Yates starts next season. 15 15.00%
Let him walk after next season, Yates sits next season, starts the following. 26 26.00%
Re-sign Schaub and find the cap room elsewhere. 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2012   #141
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Well we have cleared up some space for next season by getting 'Meco's contract off the books. Schaub's contract is also up, and I assume we will have less "dead money" on the books as well. I don't think cap space will be quite as bad as it is this year, but we can't really know for sure.

It all really depends on how Schaub performs this year. If he can return to his pre-injury level of play then I think we have to find a way to keep him. If he can't, and Yates ends up getting a lot of snaps, then we might have to change directions. I really hope he just does well and re-signs with us for a similar contract amount.
Indeed, that would be the best solution all round, especially if we don't have to dip into any savings already made to keep hold of him. I know its a bit of a bone of contention with FA's, but I pretty much count their outgoing contract as a 'saving' against the cap, if they re-up at a similar level you haven't lost/gained anything.

The real issue will come if Schaub plays, but not well. Or plays well, but isn't healthy all year. Then it will become a massive potential banana skin.

I love me some Matt Schaub, I think he's very good in our system, but he isn't worth a Manning-like situation, signing him to some huge contract and wasting a year in the rebuilding process if he doesn't get healthy.

I'm marking it now, I predict Schaub will be the key piece of business next off-season to how the franchise moves forward, and I think its very worthy of some discussion right now, given his fitness battle.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #142
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'd better hope that Yates is our next starter. IMO, there are no QBs in next two drafts that could replace Schaub in 2013 at our picks. Unless there is an Atlanta type trade for Matt, we have few options. Unless we give him a train load of money he could do a Mario,regardless of what Texan fans think he is worth, there could be a Buffalo just waiting. Stats and history of these two are similar despite Matt's age & he could get that incredible deal.
Old 03-27-2012   #143
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Let him play out the year (if he is ever cleared to play) and see how he performs.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #144
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think we'd better hope that Yates is our next starter. IMO, there are no QBs in next two drafts that could replace Schaub in 2013 at our picks. Unless there is an Atlanta type trade for Matt, we have few options. Unless we give him a train load of money he could do a Mario,regardless of what Texan fans think he is worth, there could be a Buffalo just waiting. Stats and history of these two are similar despite Matt's age & he could get that incredible deal.
If he gets a Mario deal I will eat my own placenta.
Old 03-27-2012   #145
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta let this season play out and see how he comes back from his injury. I think we're lucky from that standpoint. It's a wait and see approach - Schaub and his agent should understand that.

If he's healthy and the same Matt Schaub we've seen, he will be re-signed and stay a Texan. We need to make room for him.

What are the three most important positions in the NFL?

1. QB
2. LT
3. Pass Rusher

It's funny that all three come due in the same year. Our priorities should be to re-sign Schaub, Brown and Barwin in that order. I'm the biggest Barwin fan on here, and have been since he was drafted... but he would be easier to replace (if we have to) than a franchise QB or franchise LT. I really really hope we can re-sign all 3.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #146
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
If he gets a Mario deal I will eat my own placenta.
Need a fork? I could see him doubling his 2012 base, though.
Old 03-27-2012   #147
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
but he would be easier to replace (if we have to) than a franchise QB or franchise LT
Sign Barwin and Brown.

Texans haven't drafted or traded for their franchise QB yet.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2012   #148
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
QB is pretty deep next year. Barkley will get all the attention and go #1. Landry Jones isn't all that good, IMO, but someone will snatch him up pretty early. I think Tyler Bray is going to be a very good pro QB and he might declare early. Aaron Murray has a shot to be pretty good although I expect him to stay for another year.

Tyler Wilson is a bit of a darkhorse right now. I'm not sure how he projects to the next level. Petrino coached QB's don't seem to do that well in the league. E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith both have potential but aren't 1st round caliber. I'm also intrigued by Mike Glennon out of NC State. Has all the physical tools but needs to put it together. Same with Logan Thomas.

I think if we need to draft a QB in the next 2 years then we can find a good one, but it's good that we have Yates on board to bridge the gap. Hell, Yates might even take over for Schaub who knows.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #149
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree with the point that there could be a Buffalo-Mario situation out there, and it could even be Buffalo who go after him. Plenty of teams will still be desperate to hit the low-cap as well, especially if extra money comes available from the TV deal.

I at least feel confident that TJ would be serviceable if we did lose Schaub. Can't tell if he's got the potential to be franchise or not yet though, would need a lot of work to get there though.

I especially think Brown is the priority because he's just too good to let go. What are the chances of replacing him through the draft? How much is any QB worth behind a bad LT?

Next is Schaub, if fit, as I've stated elsewhere, Barwin is really good, but we've shown we know how to draft and coach up pass rushers, long before we even had Wade.

But by then we'll have to be setting aside the cash to re-up Cushing as well, if we can't do that next year, we'd sure as hell better work cap room to make sure he's ours the following year.
We will remember them.
Old 03-27-2012   #150
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
QB is pretty deep next year. Barkley will get all the attention and go #1. Landry Jones isn't all that good, IMO, but someone will snatch him up pretty early. I think Tyler Bray is going to be a very good pro QB and he might declare early. Aaron Murray has a shot to be pretty good although I expect him to stay for another year.

Tyler Wilson is a bit of a darkhorse right now. I'm not sure how he projects to the next level. Petrino coached QB's don't seem to do that well in the league. E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith both have potential but aren't 1st round caliber. I'm also intrigued by Mike Glennon out of NC State. Has all the physical tools but needs to put it together. Same with Logan Thomas.

I think if we need to draft a QB in the next 2 years then we can find a good one, but it's good that we have Yates on board to bridge the gap. Hell, Yates might even take over for Schaub who knows.
Uh, re-read your post and tell me how you come up with draft being deep? Barkley was sliding on several mocks before he decided to go back to school. I agree he and Bray will go high but that doesn't do anything for Texans. The rest you mentioned are "maybes" & as of now I see no reason to be excited about any.
Old 03-27-2012   #151
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Uh, re-read your post and tell me how you come up with draft being deep? Barkley was sliding on several mocks before he decided to go back to school. I agree he and Bray will go high but that doesn't do anything for Texans. The rest you mentioned are "maybes" & as of now I see no reason to be excited about any.
Those are just guys off the top of my head. That didn't even include any small school prospects, sleepers, etc (or any research at all really). Not to mention that half those guys just finished their Sophomore seasons.

Barkley and Jones are the only ones with established track records on that list, helped by the fact that they're the only Seniors (2013). We will have a much, much better idea of the QB class after this coming season.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #152
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as teams are starting Tim Tebow's, Kevin Kolb's Chad Henne's and Rex Grossman's, Schaub will be a Texan as long as he wants to be.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #153
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
As long as teams are starting Tim Tebow's, Kevin Kolb's Chad Henne's and Rex Grossman's, Schaub will be a Texan as long as he wants to be.
And on that side, it goes the other way too doesn't it. Schaub is clearly better than all of those, how many of those teams will be after him in FA?
We will remember them.
Old 03-27-2012   #154
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Agree with the point that there could be a Buffalo-Mario situation out there, and it could even be Buffalo who go after him. Plenty of teams will still be desperate to hit the low-cap as well, especially if extra money comes available from the TV deal.

I at least feel confident that TJ would be serviceable if we did lose Schaub. Can't tell if he's got the potential to be franchise or not yet though, would need a lot of work to get there though.

I especially think Brown is the priority because he's just too good to let go. What are the chances of replacing him through the draft? How much is any QB worth behind a bad LT?

Next is Schaub, if fit, as I've stated elsewhere, Barwin is really good, but we've shown we know how to draft and coach up pass rushers, long before we even had Wade.

But by then we'll have to be setting aside the cash to re-up Cushing as well, if we can't do that next year, we'd sure as hell better work cap room to make sure he's ours the following year.
Fortunately in our O. a QB does not have to be franchise type just above avg and hopefully TJ can be that. I agree with you that LT is priority and we should start drafting from here out to begin replacing our higher price vets as possible. In my plan, I'd draft a WR2 &3 to replace JJ and KW next month. We should be able to draft lower round guy to replace Wade Smith, too. Also think we can get a decent OLB to eventually replace Barwin but that can be done 2013 draft.
Old 03-27-2012   #155
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fortunately in our O. a QB does not have to be franchise type
To play devil's advocate... The same can be said for runningback, wide receiver and any offensive linemen.
Old 03-27-2012   #156
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To play devil's advocate... The same can be said for runningback, wide receiver and any offensive linemen.
So we only need a franchise tight end? Darn, if only we had Vernon Davis...
Old 03-27-2012   #157
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So we only need a franchise tight end? Darn, if only we had Vernon Davis...
Kleenex sales in Houston would double.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #158
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

You could franchise him for a year too. What is brees getting under that designation this year?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #159
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
You could franchise him for a year too. What is brees getting under that designation this year?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
More than we should pay Schaub - I think like close to $16 million. It will probably be more next year.
Old 03-27-2012   #160
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Partially agree. We have had above avg RBs in this system but only Dommanick Davis and Myers have done so well. Yes, Tate should be fine. LT takes above average guy regardless of system and we will see how Butler does replacing Winston. I totally disagree with you on WR.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read