Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you handle Matt Schaub's contract?
Trade him for picks this off-season, Yates starts next season. 15 15.00%
Let him walk after next season, Yates sits next season, starts the following. 26 26.00%
Re-sign Schaub and find the cap room elsewhere. 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2011   #121
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just as some are prematurely ejacuYatesing, saying he should be the starter come next year, it's just as premature to say Schaub will get his job back.

Tj has a 5 game audition, with an option for extra games. If he clearly (depending on your interpretation) shows that he is better than Schaub, are you saying you'd hand the job back over to Matt regardless?

That doesn't make any sense.
I didn't say "regardless". Edit: actually I did say that. But what I meant was.... Schaub should be given a chance to get his job back. After watching Kubiak all these years, I figure that will happen in practice. Whichever guy runs the team most effectively in practice will get game snaps. That's how Kubiak has always operated.

If T.J. performs in practice - assuming that he "clearly shows he's better than Schaub" during this "audition"; there's still time for him to screw up - then continuing to show he's better during camp/practice won't be a problem. If by some chance, T.J. suffers from the dreaded "sophomore slump" - and we've all seen rookies take a step back in their 2nd season - then Kubiak will roll with Schaub and Yates gets a year to mature.

Think of it this way, if I'm Kubiak, I got 5-8 games worth of "film" on Yates. OTOH, I've got almost 5 years of "film" on Schaub. In my mind it's just irresponsible to make that call without doing an A-B comparison of the two guys in camp.

Quote:
Remember, Schaub only started 2 games (for another team) before he was crowned our starter.
Schaub didn't exactly come in to replace a pro bowl level QB now did he? You and I both know that was a totally different situation. If Schaub was some bum like HWWNBN then there'd be no discussion necessary. You're saying a two time pro bowl QB should lose his job because a rookie had 3 (so far) good games??

And I've been one of the guys complaining for years about Schaub's lack of mobility and arm strength. But I'm not ready to kick Schaub to the curb until I see much more from Yates.
Making that call before you have to - next training camp - is what doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 12-18-2011 at 05:00 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #122
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Schaub didn't exactly come in to replace a pro bowl level QB now did he? You're saying a two time pro bowl QB should lose his job
enough with this probowl nonsense.. schaub is a 1x pro bowler who was a fill-in because manning was in the superbowl and brady, roethlisberger, & rivers were injured..while its a nice personal accomplishment, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. stop acting like the term "A PRO BOWL QUARTERBACK" holds any weight, because it doesnt.. its a tidbit for fans to brag about. its a freaking all-star game.. one in which he wasnt even selected to outright..
Old 12-18-2011   #123
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Think of it this way, if I'm Kubiak, I got 5-8 games worth of "film" on Yates. OTOH, I've got almost 5 years of "film" on Schaub. In my mind it's just irresponsible to make that call without doing an A-B comparison of the two guys in camp.
There's zero film on Schaub post-surgery. I agree that they should compete in camp (assuming Yates performance over the remaining games warrants consideration). But if Schaub isn't ready to go in camp and play in the preseason...I think they would have to go with TJ. I think these last 3 games are crucial to making decisions for next season.
Old 12-18-2011   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Schaub didn't exactly come in to replace a pro bowl level QB now did he? You and I both know that was a totally different situation. If Schaub was some bum like HWWNBN then there'd be no discussion necessary. You're saying a two time pro bowl QB should lose his job because a rookie had 3 (so far) good games??
I was referring to the 'copter. He wasn't a pro-bowler either, by any means. But he was good enough to win some.... I just didn't agree with anointing Schaub with no more than 2 starts in his career.

Tj is going to have 5 games, plus at least one play-off game. When it's all said & done, I think we should have enough info to know if that is the direction we want the team to go.

Quote:
And I've been one of the guys complaining for years about Schaub's lack of mobility and arm strength. But I'm not ready to kick Schaub to the curb until I see much more from Yates.
Making that call before you have to - next training camp - is what doesn't make any sense.
Agree....... I think we're saying the same thing.
Old 12-18-2011   #125
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Next season is next season, right now Schaub doesn't mean anything to the Texans other than as a coach and mentor to TJ. So far TJ has done well. If he continues to do well and gains some valuable playoff experience while winning the Super Bowl, then we'll have a QB contriversy. Until then, it's all talk.

My own opinion is that TJ is the future of the Texans. Whether this starts next year or when doesn't matter, but I think we've got Schaub's successor running the show right now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #126
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Next season is next season, right now Schaub doesn't mean anything to the Texans other than as a coach and mentor to TJ. So far TJ has done well. If he continues to do well and gains some valuable playoff experience while winning the Super Bowl, then we'll have a QB contriversy. Until then, it's all talk.

My own opinion is that TJ is the future of the Texans. Whether this starts next year or when doesn't matter, but I think we've got Schaub's successor running the show right now.
After re-watching the NO, Pitt, and Baltimore games last night, I really want to see Schaub back and healthy next year. He's brittle and doesn't even have the athleticism to fall well, but he is awfully good. Barrett and I are going to put up a video of the opening drive vs. Pittsburgh. That drive was the only one of the year where all 11 Texans starters were healthy. It's a thing of beauty. Schaub is highly accurate and a great decision-maker. If he was healthy, we would be the unquestioned favorites in the AFC right now and I'd be confident in our ability to play with Green Bay...

Still, it's a good problem to have now.
Old 12-18-2011   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
After re-watching the NO, Pitt, and Baltimore games last night, I really want to see Schaub back and healthy next year. He's brittle and doesn't even have the athleticism to fall well, but he is awfully good.
You should include the Oakland game, especially our last two drives. Schaub showed some toughness, & a little bit of his ability as a playmaker.... looked like 2009 Schaub..... probowl Schaub. I'd have liked to have seen more of that guy this year.
Old 12-18-2011   #128
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You should include the Oakland game, especially our last two drives. Schaub showed some toughness, & a little bit of his ability as a playmaker.... looked like 2009 Schaub..... probowl Schaub. I'd have liked to have seen more of that guy this year.
Was nice wasn't it? Funny thing is, TJ has shown those exact same traits in just two games, and that's with a hobbled team.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #129
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

I started off as a Schaub basher. To compare Matt's stats to TJ's now for the sake of supporting Matt is worth very little to me. Matt's career stats compared similarly to Sage's. Matt, however is a proven winner. There's a lot of Tebow fans who would stress the importance of that one.

I agree it's a premature debate, but voted anyway. I don't believe he's the quarterback of the future, so it seems moot to me, but.. "If" Matt could warrant any decent picks in trade... There's got to be some consideration. He's a 30 year old QB with some wear and tear on him. While he hasn't shown any decline in skill, I can't see him getting significantly better. If TJ unexpectedly flops in the next few games, I'll be surprised. I'm not ready to anoint TJ as the QB of the future just yet. I'd really be happy if we could find a way to trade up in the draft and go after RG3, but if Schaub stays, I'd still even be a fan of Tannenhill in a later round, who could sit back with TJ and compete for a 2013 takeover.

The Texans need to invest in QB. Elite QB's are what gets you through the playoffs... Poor TJ will have the deck stacked against him this year.
Old 12-18-2011   #130
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
enough with this probowl nonsense.. schaub is a 1x pro bowler who was a fill-in because manning was in the superbowl and brady, roethlisberger, & rivers were injured..while its a nice personal accomplishment, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. stop acting like the term "A PRO BOWL QUARTERBACK" holds any weight, because it doesnt.. its a tidbit for fans to brag about. its a freaking all-star game.. one in which he wasnt even selected to outright..
Okay.
Point taken.

Scratch "pro bowl" and insert "two time 4,000-plus-yd passer"
...and before Schaub was lost in 2008 (in game 11 I think), he had thrown for over 3000 yds for a per game average of 276 yds. Extrapolate that over 16 games and he, possibly, would have thrown for 4400+ yds. And even without those extra 5-1/2 games in 2008, Schaub had racked up 12,183 yds from 2008 -2010. That's over 4,000 yds/season.

...that hold any weight....?

does for me.
Old 12-18-2011   #131
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay.
Point taken.

Scratch "pro bowl" and insert "two time 4,000-plus-yd passer"
...and before Schaub was lost in 2008 (in game 11 I think), he had thrown for over 3000 yds for a per game average of 276 yds. Extrapolate that over 16 games and he, possibly, would have thrown for 4400+ yds. And even without those extra 5-1/2 games in 2008, Schaub had racked up 12,183 yds from 2008 -2010. That's over 4,000 yds/season.

...that hold any weight....?

does for me.
It's statistically impressive, but has it translated to wins? Premature as this debate is, we wouldn't be having it if Schaub's stats had meant winning consistently over the last four years. Just sayin'...
Old 12-18-2011   #132
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
It's statistically impressive, but has it translated to wins? Premature as this debate is, we wouldn't be having it if Schaub's stats had meant winning consistently over the last four years. Just sayin'...
Win/Loss is not exactly something that hangs off the play of #8 over the last 4 years. In all fairness to Matt, Offensively, the Texans have typically put up the numbers needed to win consistently. Their failure to win consistently can/should be more directly represented by the Defense's inability to provide balance on those teams. This year has been a long time coming defensively and look where they are as a result of Defensive resurgence.

As many have said, it's a bit premature to really have a solid argument for displacing Matt as next year's starter. TJ is certainly on the path for warranting much debate, which, given current circumstances is a luxury not many would have necessarily anticipated... Especially without #80 out there to give him a fighter's chance.

I personally believe that Matt is just as deserving of success as Andre, and it kills me to see him sitting in a scooter right now. I respect what he's given this team and in the manner he's done so. He isn't as athletic as Andre, but I would put him right there with Dre in respect to what he's done for this team. Matt's biggest weakness is bad luck.. Having Fat Albert roll him; Having Jared Allen snipe him; Examples of injuries that you can't say make him prone, but still had impacts on the team.

While I don't know that you shop him, but if some team offers a trade for some picks AFTER what everyone should be wishing, in that TJ continues to improve and learn in the games ahead.. maybe even simply wins a playoff game, you have to know that it isn't by mistake or luck. TJ has to be considered for being able to keep this team winning into 2012. I think you have to consider getting something out of Matt vs bet on him in what is a very uncertain future in terms of health and what it would take financially to retain him past 2012.
Old 12-18-2011   #133
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

T.J. came back to Earth today.

Jury still isn't out. He has three more chances to shine.

...or not.

We'll see.
Old 12-18-2011   #134
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is ridiculous.

With Schaub this team is a Super Bowl team, Without we have struggled against mediocrity. Yates wasnt even a real good college QB.

Get real.iam p@ssed off we lost matt after finally having all the pieces. It just plain s@cks. Period.
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #135
worldlyman
Veteran

Rep Power: 775 worldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Cav View Post

With Schaub this team is a Super Bowl team, Without we have struggled against mediocrity. Yates wasnt even a real good college QB.

Get real.iam p@ssed off we lost matt after finally having all the pieces. It just plain s@cks. Period.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Like I pointed out recently, with TJ Yates under center...the Texans offense has stopped lighting up the scoreboard. It doesn't matter if its good defenses like those of Atlanta and Cincy. And now we see it doesn't matter if it's a 2nd-3rd string defense like that of Carolina's:

TJ Yates is no Matt Schaub. At least not yet.

But I hope TJ continues to learn from this and help pound on Indy next game and into this post-season.

It figures. The Rockets were on a hot roll in 2007, keeping neck and neck with the Lakers for Western Conference top seed. Then boom. Yao out for the year when he was playing well.

It sucks this happened again to the Texans who were on a roll keeping neck and neck with the AFC elites.
worldlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #136
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Cav View Post

To be fair, we're also missing our starting RG, #1 receiver, franchise sack leader, our kicker's foot fell asleep & our star running back is battling fumblitus.

Today, the Panthers looked better than the Raiders from week 5, if that means anything.
Old 03-27-2012   #137
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought I'd give this thread a bump to see how people view the contractual status of Schaub right now.

I wrote in another thread that I see Schaub's contract as the biggest variable next off-season. I can't see Barwin & Brown receiving anything other than top-dollar for their positions based on their play, only serious loss of form/injury could change that.

Either we can pay it or we can't, we've shown that we are able to identify and coach up talent at OLB so I'd say, by the time negotiations come we may have the option to move Barwin on.

Schaub on the other hand will be an interesting call. He's earning what? $9mill this year? Which is a lot of money, but not a lot for a franchise QB. He's coming off a really nasty injury, and was clearly in the 'good but never going to be elite' catagory before that injury.

Do people see Schaub getting another contract with Houston? What price do you reckon that contract will cost? Would you be willing to lose one of Brown/Barwin, or both to ensure you keep him?

The problem is, you can get better at the position, although you're by no means guaranteed to, he's the wrong side of 30, and the O has shown it can tick over well without him.

Another factor is that we are highly unlikely to lock him up before next years FA, by the time he's proven himself fit enough to be worth a contract, it won't be in his interest not to wait it out.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #138
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see Kubiak and Schaub parting ways. Not making a play for Manning solidified that in my opinion.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #139
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we have cleared up some space for next season by getting 'Meco's contract off the books. Schaub's contract is also up, and I assume we will have less "dead money" on the books as well. I don't think cap space will be quite as bad as it is this year, but we can't really know for sure.

It all really depends on how Schaub performs this year. If he can return to his pre-injury level of play then I think we have to find a way to keep him. If he can't, and Yates ends up getting a lot of snaps, then we might have to change directions. I really hope he just does well and re-signs with us for a similar contract amount.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #140
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Thought I'd give this thread a bump to see how people view the contractual status of Schaub right now.

I wrote in another thread that I see Schaub's contract as the biggest variable next off-season. I can't see Barwin & Brown receiving anything other than top-dollar for their positions based on their play, only serious loss of form/injury could change that.

Either we can pay it or we can't, we've shown that we are able to identify and coach up talent at OLB so I'd say, by the time negotiations come we may have the option to move Barwin on.

Schaub on the other hand will be an interesting call. He's earning what? $9mill this year? Which is a lot of money, but not a lot for a franchise QB. He's coming off a really nasty injury, and was clearly in the 'good but never going to be elite' catagory before that injury.

Do people see Schaub getting another contract with Houston? What price do you reckon that contract will cost? Would you be willing to lose one of Brown/Barwin, or both to ensure you keep him?

The problem is, you can get better at the position, although you're by no means guaranteed to, he's the wrong side of 30, and the O has shown it can tick over well without him.

Another factor is that we are highly unlikely to lock him up before next years FA, by the time he's proven himself fit enough to be worth a contract, it won't be in his interest not to wait it out.

Most QBs get better in their 30's, idk how Schaub is on the wrong side of 30 when he still could have 5-6 quality years.

The injury was bad, but it seems like based off of what he's saying(although it could be smoke and mirrors), that he'll be close to 100% if not 100% by the time the season starts. Unless we just suck our way into a #1 pick and a younger, potential franchise QB falls into our lap we re-sign him.

I was on the opinion that we didn't fare very well without him last year. Yates did an honorable job, but our PPG fell very significantly and with Andre consistently banged up they just loaded the box trying to stop Arian. If we had the defense of 2010 we would not have made the playoffs with Yates those final 6 games, in my opinion.

I'm still on board for locking him up before next year while having a contract similar in stature to what Peyton had, not dollar wise, but a way to opt out of the contract after a year if his injury turns out worse than what we had imagined.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read