Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2011   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hehe ....... Hey Porky! :)

Do you still think I'm on crack when I say that TJ Yates beats out Schaub as the No.1 QB next year?

TJ Freaking Yates!!!!!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #2
foo82
Veteran

Rep Power: 2648 foo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hehe ....... Hey Porky! :)

yes. As much as I like TJ, he still has made plenty of mistakes missing some open targets. Schaub executes much better in the first half.
foo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #3
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup. But he'll be a solid #2 for sure.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I like TJ but not in Schaub caliber yet
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #5
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo82 View Post
yes. As much as I like TJ, he still has made plenty of mistakes missing some open targets. Schaub executes much better in the first half.
Total rookie mistakes but he'll improve.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Do you still think I'm on crack when I say that TJ Yates beats out Schaub as the No.1 QB next year?

TJ Freaking Yates!!!!!
I don't think drug use has anything to do with your football ignorance.

I'm loving what I've seen from Yates. But, come on! Why do you think the Texans are struggling to run the ball so much?

Yates is better than Schaub at certain things, certainly. But, so is Vince Young. I wish Schaub were more mobile and less brittle. However, if Schaub was playing right now, we would be the clear favorites to go to the Superbowl and have a very good chance to knock of the Packers.
Old 12-11-2011   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This has now approached the "awkward" phase for guys like Schaub and Leinart.

I will NOT sit here and say those two guys are secretly envious or scared of losing their job or whatever. But all I'm saying is that they just watched TJ Yates come from nowhere (basically) and play balls to the wall and clinch playoffs with a final play and a perfect pass to the only open WR on the play. On the road.

From here on out, it becomes a situation of the Texans organization seeing if they caught lightning in a bottle with that 5th round pick of TJ Yates in the 2011 draft. It becomes a situation of two QBs unable to do anything but watch, as well. Yes, Schaub can and WILL mentor him still. But it's now the TJ Yates show, and it has to suck for Schaub in an awkward way.

Not trying to start stuff on here, just saying that I think the climate or the overall organizational culture begins to shift a little the remainder of this season. It's just natural that it would.
Old 12-11-2011   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Why of course he makes mistakes. What would you expect?

But his upside blows Schaub away, and he's got the better arm. Put that together with the likelyhood that Schaub won't be fully recovered until 2013 . . . yeah, that's a pretty safe bet.
Old 12-11-2011   #9
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I see Schaub being the QB next year. Yates has show incredible poise, but he has a tendency to fixate on one receiver. He sometimes goes through his progressions, but I would like him to do it more often. One play that they showed on CBS had a wide open OD that Yates didn't see.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I see Schaub being the QB next year. Yates has show incredible poise, but he has a tendency to fixate on one receiver. He sometimes goes through his progressions, but I would like him to do it more often. One play that they showed on CBS had a wide open OD that Yates didn't see.
Schaub missed a wide-open OD on almost the exact same play in almost the exact same field position back during the Bucs game. OD was slapping his hands and trying to get Schaub's attention but Schaub went to a guy who was very well-covered. Incomplete pass.

What I like in Yates: He's never "out" of a play. Moves his feet, gets out of trouble a lot better, and can get you yards when he scrambles. Schaub is dead on arrival if he tucks it and runs. Period.

I have a feeling Yates takes the win and grows from it. Seems like now that the playoffs monkey is off our back, he can just go as high and as far as he wants. It's like driving on the autobahn...you can go as fast as you want to go, just floor it and have fun.

And if he does just that, and his confidence grows from it...look out. Look. Out.
Old 12-11-2011   #11
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub - QB first 3 quarters.

Yates - QB 4th quarter.

Leinart - keep the clipboard off the ground.

For his career, Yates now has two games won by leading a 4th quarter drive (when tied (ATL) or behind (CIN)).
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

As my mom would say: "Child, please."

What we have is a solid quarterback-in-waiting. This is still Schaub's offense. He has firm command of it. It is his.

It's exciting that we have a great number two QB.

I still feel kind of bad for Leinhart, though. I think the guy has more talent than most people have seen out of him.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Just think of Schaub as Drew Bledsoe, and think of Yates as . . . . .

Old 12-11-2011   #14
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

I think TJ Yates is now what he always was - at least to the front office and Kubiak - and that's a young backup who has the potential to be heir to Schaub.

He was brought in and expected to learn the offense from Schaub, and possibly one day take over. Next year, Schaub will return as the starter. And he'll continue to be our #1 until he shows he's unable to.

EDIT: Hopefully this also puts pressure on Schaub to play near perfection, perhaps doing things he normally wouldn't be comfortable doing yet knows he has the ability to do.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #15
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 26851 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Just think of Schaub as Drew Bledsoe, and think of Yates as . . . . .

Right. And the only only way Schaub flat out loses his job is if Yates takes us to the Super Bowl and wins it.

Otherwise, I really do agree with GP and Texas2Step, in that Yates' play should make Schaub better, and yes, the Texans have probably found their QB to groom for the future.

But these next 3 games and into the post-season are really going to be about Yates' body of work as the FO (and the fans) evaluate Yates as a whole, as opposed to just 2 1/2 games of snaps, right now.

As it is, let's enjoy the rest of the season, because we might very well be looking at the future of the Texans if Yates keeps maturing.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I still feel kind of bad for Leinhart, though. I think the guy has more talent than most people have seen out of him.
I almost never disagree with you.

On this, however, I am. I don't think Leinart has it. Not even an ounce of "it." To me, he is slow in all areas--Slow to drop back, slow to scan his progressions, and slow to get out of harm's way, and slow to release the ball.

He IS quick when it comes to finding the RB, though. Does that very well.

This will sound shitty of me, but oh del: Fate might have intervened when Leinart got hurt and Yates became the QB. I don't like the way Lombardi put it when it happened, but in a way I think it's true.

Yates gives us more of a chance. Proved that last week, and this week too.
Old 12-11-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
I think TJ Yates is now what he always was - at least to the front office and Kubiak - and that's a young backup who has the potential to be heir to Schaub.
That's the way it should work. If Tj continues to play the way he has, the heir apparent no more..... he's the starter.

Still a lot of football to be played. Tj can show us over the next 5 weeks, that he is no starter in the NFL, where we know Matt is the starter... no harm, no foul.

But if Tj makes plays like he did today, it's his job to lose.

Old 12-11-2011   #18
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's the way it should work. If Tj continues to play the way he has, the heir apparent no more..... he's the starter.

Still a lot of football to be played. Tj can show us over the next 5 weeks, that he is no starter in the NFL, where we know Matt is the starter... no harm, no foul.

But if Tj makes plays like he did today, it's his job to lose.

Lol. Uh oh. This is one of those posts that you post just to get people talking. You don't really believe what you wrote. You wrote it just to get people talking.

This is still Matt Schaub's team. If Scaub makes a full recovery from his injury (as expected) he will be the starter. TJ will be the back up.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Lol. Uh oh. This is one of those posts that you post just to get people talking. You don't really believe what you wrote. You wrote it just to get people talking.

This is still Matt Schaub's team. If Scaub makes a full recovery from his injury (as expected) he will be the starter. TJ will be the back up.
It should be that way, but a lot of factors can change that.

Technically, we should keep Yates and his rookie 5th round salary...and let Schaub retake the spot if Schaub is healthy enough in 2012 to do so. Then you know your heir apparent, Yates, is watching Schaub in what will be Schaub's contract year with us. Win-win situation, IMO.

If we win the SB with Yates? Holy heck. It gets real. Real fast.
Old 12-11-2011   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

As the season comes to an end hopefully Yates stops being nervous at the start of the games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read