Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012   #381
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby's Gotta Go

There was concern about JJ this season:

Jacoby Jones is just not a good WR - started 10-09-2011

Here's the thread from the summer when they resigned him:

Jacoby Jones has re-signed with Houston

And one of my takes about the deal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Just know that the only thing that will alter my opinion is JJ actually proving himself to be a consistent player on the field. History is on my side of the fence with this one. For the sake of our team, I hope that I am proven wrong.
And I was not proven wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Totally understand the argument between a rookie & a 5 year vet..... but Jacoby was trying to make a play as well. A dumb one, but he was trying to make a play.

I think the ball never should have hit the ground to begin with. He should have fair caught it.

& to be fair, Jacoby turned the ball over once. Tj... 3 times. I think that wipes out the "rookie" vs vet argument.
The basic fallacy of your argument is comparing a punt returner to a QB.

The former has one freakin' job, and it's simple. Make one of three choices: fair catch the ball, catch and run, or let it bounce until downed.

SIMPLE!!!

You know as well as I do that the complexities of the QB position on this team is 1000x more demanding and complicated than being a return man.

And the return guy? A FIVE YEAR VETERAN!

It's not even apples and oranges. It's comparing marshmallows to a Corvette. Not even close to being comparable.

Quote:
& on top of that, by half-time, we were back in control. Only down by 4 points.
No disrespect, dude, but this is just laughable take. We were not in control with a four point deficit against a Ravens defense. Being in control usually means that a team has a lead. But, the Texans never had the lead after 3-0 and Jacoby gift wrapped a turnover to basically give the Ravens a TD and momentum in the game.

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to blame that game on Jacoby Jones.
It does not make sense TO YOU. But the majority of Texans fans vehemently disagree with you and see it for what it was in terms of score and momentum.

Quote:
There were a dozen plays in the second half that we should have made, that would have made up that 4 point difference.
Teams play different with a lead as compared to a deficit. If Schaub was QB, I'd tend to agree with you. But, you are asking an inexperienced rookie QB to make plays against a great defense as some kind of justification for letting Jacoby off the hook for his stupid decisions?

Quote:
Really? This year was a good year for Jacoby, concerning punts & fumbles.
I won't disagree with you, simply because you quantified your statement with "for Jacoby".

But, dude is a liability to this team and ultimately helped deflate this team and be one of the reasons they are not playing next Sunday in Foxboro.

Objectively speaking, TJ certainly shares part of the blame. However, he played how folks expected him to play. And in that regard, Jacoby Jones played like I expected him to play, too.
Old 01-18-2012   #382
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I have to begrudgingly agree. J.J. should just be taken off the team.
fify

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #383
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 9843 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
summer when they resigned him:

I like the second post in that thread
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...16&postcount=2
Old 01-18-2012   #384
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

1. They should have re-signed Leach not JJ.
2. He should have been taken off punt returns long ago
3. He should not have been put back in the game on Sunday
I don't know about you but that spells out Gary Kubiak more than it does JJ IMHO.

Last edited by gary; 01-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #385
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 34626 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

You hate to hang it on one guy... they win together and they lose together. Having said that I cannot understand why he was anywhere near that ball and over the last month I have noticed him trying to play that game of waving other players off as if to say do not touch it, only to grab the ball at the last second and try to make something exciting happen. Well he finally succeeded in that I guess.

Boneheaded play and I do not see him on the team next season.

"Keenum has an aura about him". -Andre Johnson
"She did a Mean Macarena to the Funky Cold Medina" -S. Hagar
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #386
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I'm no huge JJ fan, but, I gotta say this. Has anyone stopped to think how bad JJ feels for what he did? NO EXCUSES, I know that, but, if some of you are hating on him so much, I bet he is hating on himself even more. JJ acts before he thinks, and has been doing that since day one with our team. He made a very stup*d mistake in a crucial game, but, that boy loves our team as much as anyone else. Part of his problem is that he gets TO friggin excited and can't seem to calm himself down. Young, immature, whatever, but, I bet he hurts more than anyone. I feel bad for the boy, I really do!
I see what you're saying.

I'm sure Jacoby feels bad.. real bad. But some of the stuff we're reading on this board, twitter, whatever.... is juvenile bull.

It's just a game, & some people obviously have too much invested.

Jacoby was a good punt returner this year. Obviously the big stage was just too big for him. But it's ridiculous (imo) to blame the loss of a 60 minute game on an muffed punt that happened 5 minutes in.

We were only down by 4 at the half, that doesn't put any undue "pressure" on an offense or a rookie QB to not score for the last 30 minutes of a football game.
Old 01-19-2012   #387
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I do NOT feel sorry for Jacoby Jones....sorry.

This is not the first time he's made a boneheaded mistake like this and if anybody else was this incompetent at their jobs they would've been fired a long time ago, the only difference is when he does it he has to hear the outcry of a entire fan base.....but that just goes back to "to whom much is given (millions of dollars) much is expected".

I'm not expecting anyone to feel sorry for Jacoby. He is what he is & he did what he did.

It's completly understandable that he would get some blow back.

I'm just saying some posters (& far as I can recall I don't put you in that group) are way too emotionally attached & are going over board with the rhetoric.

I think.
Old 01-19-2012   #388
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Here's the thread from the summer when they resigned him:

Yep, looks like we were both in agreement about the signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Yaaaay....

I wonder if he dropped the pen when he was signing the contract?

Pretty much everyone who posted in the thread were not excited about it. It was a good read.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #389
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

One of his former coaches, Coach Smith, was being interviewed by one of the local stations yesterday afternoon. He is still good friends with the Jones family and had spoken with Jacoby after the game.

Some things he said was interesting, like Jacoby has never matured, still has the mentality of an 18 yo. He mentioned that Jacoby has always had this problem of taking risky chances when he should be playing it safe. And he said that his conversation since the game was revealing, because Jacoby was telling him that he's not the only one that made a mistake in the game, basically deflecting the spotlight away from himself.

Take it fwiw, but interesting to hear from a former coach and someone that is still friends with Jacoby and his family. Coach Smith closed the interview by saying that Jacoby would be better served with a second chance on another team, and if he did not change his ways, he did not see Jacoby in the league three years from now. It was a pretty blunt assessment.
Old 01-19-2012   #390
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of his former coaches, Coach Smith, was being interviewed by one of the local stations yesterday afternoon. He is still good friends with the Jones family and had spoken with Jacoby after the game.

Some things he said was interesting, like Jacoby has never matured, still has the mentality of an 18 yo. He mentioned that Jacoby has always had this problem of taking risky chances when he should be playing it safe. And he said that his conversation since the game was revealing, because Jacoby was telling him that he's not the only one that made a mistake in the game, basically deflecting the spotlight away from himself.

Take it fwiw, but interesting to hear from a former coach and someone that is still friends with Jacoby and his family. Coach Smith closed the interview by saying that Jacoby would be better served with a second chance on another team, and if he did not change his ways, he did not see Jacoby in the league three years from now. It was a pretty blunt assessment.
I heard that too. None of it surprised me, the dude just don't have it, and I don't think he ever will.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #391
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I heard that too. None of it surprised me, the dude just don't have it, and I don't think he ever will.
It did not surprise me either, at least what he said about Jacoby. And the fact that this is a tendency that goes back to high school, and he's now a 5 year veteran in the NFL? Says as much about the staff that keeps him as it does about the player!
Old 01-19-2012   #392
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not surprised at all. Jacoby just gives off that vibe.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #393
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

A friend of the family blast him like that for the public to see?

That's kind of a strange situation...

I wonder if he had this conversation with him in private and Jacoby didn't respond so he then went public.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #394
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

31 receptions for 512 yards, 2 TD, 2 Fum, in a season when this guy should have taken the opportunity to play WR1 for 11 games.

Forget about one bonehead play, the above stat line is all I need to see when I ask myself if I want him back. The money we're paying him and Walter, you could sign a high level FA and a first round draft pick with some change.

Btw, those stats were a regression from his 2010 numbers, despite the fact that he had AJ out most of the season this year.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #395
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 650 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya for me it's not just his muffed punt in one game, it his overall play this season. I just don't see any reason for him to be regressing. He's young and healthy, and he has the athleticism to make just as big of plays as Andre does. He just don't seem to have the drive. I guess I can live with that if he's resigned to being WR3 for the rest of his career, or maybe even just a back up. But I don't think we need to keep him around if that is all he is aspiring for.

I'd rather have had Bryant Johnson playing, at least she showed some good effort when he played against Tennessee.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #396
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't expect to see Jacoby Jones on this team by next TC, no matter what Kubiak has said, and no matter what his contract reads.

He's damaged goods in this town, and the team knows it. Fans might forgive his mistake, but there is no way they can forget it. Yes, players make mistakes, and sometimes they can real bone-headed mistakes, but the mistake Jacoby made, went to a whole different level.

He'll be cut sometime during the off-season. I'm absolutely confident in that.
Old 01-19-2012   #397
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't expect to see Jacoby Jones on this team by next TC, no matter what Kubiak has said, and no matter what his contract reads.

He's damaged goods in this town, and the team knows it. Fans might forgive his mistake, but there is no way they can forget it. Yes, players make mistakes, and sometimes they can real bone-headed mistakes, but the mistake Jacoby made, went to a whole different level.

He'll be cut sometime during the off-season. I'm absolutely confident in that.
Wouldn't be any tear from me...

Cut him/keep him as a filler player I don't care...

Whatever the outcome, he cannot be our punt returner anymore..
Old 01-19-2012   #398
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

And there is another interesting point Rey...

There has to be some accountability from the coaching staff, why on earth are they giving punt return duties to a 5 year vet WR who they are hoping to progress into a #2 role??

Surely thats extra practice time etc. they are taking away from him on his route running and pass catching.

You can get any rookie to make a decent fist of PR duty, it isn't the most skilled position in the sport, and would have made some good use of one of those young DB's we seem to have about 2 dozen of kicking around doing nothing.

Instead we continue to ask Jacoby to perform both roles despite it being crunch time in his career and his pretty shaky record, sure he breaks off a TD return once every couple of years, but he doesn't seem to make consistent gains for the other 31 games he's fielding them. Throw in the silly mistakes, and you have a pretty damning case for not putting the guy on PR duty.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #399
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
And there is another interesting point Rey...

There has to be some accountability from the coaching staff, why on earth are they giving punt return duties to a 5 year vet WR who they are hoping to progress into a #2 role??

Surely thats extra practice time etc. they are taking away from him on his route running and pass catching.

You can get any rookie to make a decent fist of PR duty, it isn't the most skilled position in the sport, and would have made some good use of one of those young DB's we seem to have about 2 dozen of kicking around doing nothing.

Instead we continue to ask Jacoby to perform both roles despite it being crunch time in his career and his pretty shaky record, sure he breaks off a TD return once every couple of years, but he doesn't seem to make consistent gains for the other 31 games he's fielding them. Throw in the silly mistakes, and you have a pretty damning case for not putting the guy on PR duty.
Welker returns punts...

I know that just because he does it doesn't mean everyone can, but lmit can be done...

I get what you are saying though and I agree to a certain extent...I think a bigger problem was not having Schaub in there and the fact that we played in closer games or ahead more this year resulting in a more balanced attack whereas in years past we leaned on the throwing game more...

I don't think it was all Jacoby although he surely is not totally free of blame.
Old 01-19-2012   #400
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I got that feeling from watching him in pregame in Tampa. He let the Tampa fans get the best of him and he started cussing at them. I know Kubiak says he has come a long way but that showed a lack of proffesionalism and maturity to me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read