Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012   #361
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby's Gotta Go

I do NOT feel sorry for Jacoby Jones....sorry.

This is not the first time he's made a boneheaded mistake like this and if anybody else was this incompetent at their jobs they would've been fired a long time ago, the only difference is when he does it he has to hear the outcry of a entire fan base.....but that just goes back to "to whom much is given (millions of dollars) much is expected".

He didn't just "muff a punt". This isn't just a guy who dropped a kick or failed to field a kick. This is a guy who already screwed up on the play and the ball already hit the ground....what is every high school football player taught to do when they fail to field the ball in the air? What he did Sunday was gross negligence and frankly there was no excuse for it, especially since it wasn't the first time it happened to him and wasn't the first time he was disciplined for it. It's basically the equivalent of a guy who shows up on the job drunk and he's told to never do it again....he does it a couple of more times and then the last time he does it, he ends up getting another coworker (in this case 52 other coworkers) critically injured. GROSS NEGLEGENCE....that is what pretty much sums up that play.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for Jones. He's made a fortune despite being completely incompetent and there will still be another 31 "companies" he can submit his resume to....I just hope he's no longer employed here.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012   #362
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I'm no huge JJ fan, but, I gotta say this. Has anyone stopped to think how bad JJ feels for what he did? NO EXCUSES, I know that, but, if some of you are hating on him so much, I bet he is hating on himself even more. JJ acts before he thinks, and has been doing that since day one with our team. He made a very stup*d mistake in a crucial game, but, that boy loves our team as much as anyone else. Part of his problem is that he gets TO friggin excited and can't seem to calm himself down. Young, immature, whatever, but, I bet he hurts more than anyone. I feel bad for the boy, I really do!
I am pretty sure he feels crappy about what happened. Anyone with a shred of competitive spirit would feel terrible. The thing about JJ is that he has been sub par to mediocre for far too long and honestly, I would feel a lot better if he is feeling like crap about his mistakes on a different team.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #363
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I am pretty sure he feels crappy about what happened. Anyone with a shred of competitive spirit would feel terrible. The thing about JJ is that he has been sub par to mediocre for far too long and honestly, I would feel a lot better if he is feeling like crap about his mistakes on a different team.
Yep. I'm sure he didn't mean to do it and he feels terrible, but it's time he felt bad about crap like that somewhere else. While he's at it, he can feel terrible about never learning to make a cut, and therefore run all his routes right instead of just the ones that don't require a cut. And then there's the dropped passes...

Geez, go away.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #364
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

The worst part about the Jacoby play was...

It didn't suprise anyone!
Old 01-18-2012   #365
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'll stick up for Jacoby...

I lambasted him when he did that. It was a stupid move. Very stupid. BUT he did the same thing against the Bengals and I didn't here nary a complaint.

Jacoby needs to be taken off of punt duties. That's pretty much the end of it.

Yes he drops some passes, but who doesn't? It's not like all the receivers on the team are killing it and Jacoby is the ugly duckling. Jacoby does some bad things, but he also does some good things. His run blocking has been tremendous this year. Now I'm the first person to say that a WR's run blocking is not something that should be a deciding factor, but I don't think his routes are all that bad either.

Earlier in the year when Shammy was at QB he managed to make Ed Reed look foolish and had him twisting in circles before he caught that long bomb for a TD.

The opening play against Tampa was a pretty good play by Jacoby too.

Dude has made some plays here.

I think part of his problem and part of KW's problem is that they don't have defined roles (or at least as far as I can tell they don't). That is a big problem as far as the QB knowing what is going on with the guys he has on the field.

JMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #366
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, Jacoby runs SOME routes really well. However, I want to see him make a cut. I don't think I've ever seen that. It would be neat to just see it once. Nevermind, just let him go.

Speaking of wide-outs judged simply on their run-blocking, isn't that about all that's keeping Walter on the field these days? I hate to bash him, but dude disappeared for basically the whole season.

Old 01-18-2012   #367
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Yes, Jacoby runs SOME routes really well. However, I want to see him make a cut. I don't think I've ever seen that. It would be neat to just see it once. Nevermind, just let him go.

Speaking of wide-outs judged simply on their run-blocking, isn't that about all that's keeping Walter on the field these days? I hate to bash him, but dude disappeared for basically the whole season.
I agree.

It would be nice to get a good FA #2 and maybe a promising rookie WR this offseason.
Old 01-18-2012   #368
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 35346 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I lambasted him when he did that. It was a stupid move. Very stupid. BUT he did the same thing against the Bengals and I didn't here nary a complaint.

JMO.
I'm not upset that Jacoby tried to make a play,but when he did it. If it was the fourth quarter and we are down by more than one score then yes make something happen.

There was just no reason to do it when he did.
Old 01-18-2012   #369
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of Jacoby, just punt a ball to him and tell him the end zone is Houston, and he'll run it back to in Dallas in a few hours.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #370
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It shouldn't be too hard to get rid of Jacoby, just punt a ball to him and tell him the end zone is Houston, and he'll run it back to in Dallas in a few hours.
No way Dutch, that's north, maybe El Paso or Atlanta.
Old 01-18-2012   #371
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I'm not upset that Jacoby tried to make a play,but when he did it. If it was the fourth quarter and we are down by more than one score then yes make something happen.

There was just no reason to do it when he did.

Again....

He did the same thing against the Bengals. No one complained then.

As a matter of fact, he had done that a couple of times this year. On a few occasions he actually got pas the first line of defenders and picked up decent yardage.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't stupid. I think it was, and I thought it was every time he did it, but I too was guilty of not saying anything about it because...well...it worked...

He hadn't muffed one punt all season and I began to let my guard down regarding him returning punts...and then in the biggest game of the season...BAM....He muffs the punt...then the next series he muffs another...Then he fumbles one out of bounds...

Again, all year he had been sure handed on returns and in this one game in the span of three possessions he had more bad plays back there than he'd had all year.

Maybe he was nervous.
Old 01-18-2012   #372
HJam72
Hall of Fame

If he doesn't take the ball with him, then he has the advantage of nobody trying to tackle him.

Old 01-18-2012   #373
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 4127 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again....

He did the same thing against the Bengals. No one complained then.

As a matter of fact, he had done that a couple of times this year. On a few occasions he actually got pas the first line of defenders and picked up decent yardage.

I'm not arguing that it wasn't stupid. I think it was, and I thought it was every time he did it, but I too was guilty of not saying anything about it because...well...it worked...

He hadn't muffed one punt all season and I began to let my guard down regarding him returning punts...and then in the biggest game of the season...BAM....He muffs the punt...then the next series he muffs another...Then he fumbles one out of bounds...

Again, all year he had been sure handed on returns and in this one game in the span of three possessions he had more bad plays back there than he'd had all year.

Maybe he was nervous.
About the Bengals game, are you referring to the one where the ball hit the ground and he caught it on its way up? If so, I was raging about that in front of my TV and the announcers were like "WTH?!? He was lucky he caught it!" The strange thing about sports is there is a fine line between hero and zero. If JJ had caught that and ran it for good yardage or even a TD, he would be a hero. Instead he fumbled it and became a zero. That being said, a wide out has no excuse for botching a punt return, especially during the playoffs and in a game where our margin of error was essentially none.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #374
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
The worst part about the Jacoby play was...

It didn't suprise anyone!
^^^^
This

Sad thing is JJ was looking like he was going to be a star until Hunter (the Punter) Smith broke JJ's collar bone. After that JJ went into a 5yr abyss of of failure. (Fumbles, bad route running, dropped passes, afraid to go across the middle ect...)

JJ was nervous. LOL

If he was so nervous that he was unable to do his job then he should've been replaced and cut after the game. The crap with JJ has gone on for too long. He needs to be cut before TC.

Dont feel sorry for JJ. He's made his millions and partied like it's 1999 in the process. For a man with so little intestinal fortitude he's done quite well for himself. Party On JJ. PT Barnum once said there's a sucker born everyday. In this case that would be Rick and Gary.

Good Riddance
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #375
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby recovered a Foster fumble and basically kept us in the game. Oh and by the way, I don't want Jacoby to just get a free ride on to this team next year. I still want a FA and drafted WR.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #376
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Jacoby recovered a Foster fumble and basically kept us in the game. Oh and by the way, I don't want Jacoby to just get a free ride on to this team next year. I still want a FA and drafted WR.
It says something that a guy who's been in the NFL for 5 yrs, in the biggest game of his career, his one contribution was he happened to be standing around awhen AF fumbled and he fell on it. Where was this great blocking people keep talking about on that play?

LOL, see ya JJ.
Old 01-18-2012   #377
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
No way Dutch, that's north, maybe El Paso or Atlanta.
New Orleans
Old 01-18-2012   #378
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I started this thread during the first Cincinnati game when Jacoby pulled up on the bomb from Yates. I hope everyone that thinks this a knee-jerk thread over the muffed punt takes a look at when it was started.

He got his contract, so this was the season he was supposed to "get serious." The last straw for me was after the Oakland game when he was supposed to step in for AJ. Schaub targeted him 11 times and he only caught 1 ball for 9 yards. The guy was such garbage that we had to bring in Jurassic Mason.

I understand why some people in this thread are sticking up for him. He's been here 5 years, you guys got his jersey, you guys know his mom, and you guys have probably even met him a few times. But it's time to face facts. The guy isn't trying to get better. As a matter of fact, he's way worse now than he was his rookie year.

Just another guy that got his contract and mentally checked out.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #379
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess I'll stick up for Jacoby...

Yes he drops some passes, but who doesn't? It's not like all the receivers on the team are killing it and Jacoby is the ugly duckling. Jacoby does some bad things, but he also does some good things. His run blocking has been tremendous this year. Now I'm the first person to say that a WR's run blocking is not something that should be a deciding factor, but I don't think his routes are all that bad either.

Earlier in the year when Shammy was at QB he managed to make Ed Reed look foolish and had him twisting in circles before he caught that long bomb for a TD.

The opening play against Tampa was a pretty good play by Jacoby too.

Dude has made some plays here.

I think part of his problem and part of KW's problem is that they don't have defined roles (or at least as far as I can tell they don't). That is a big problem as far as the QB knowing what is going on with the guys he has on the field.

JMO.
I have to begrudgingly agree. J.J. should just be taken off returns.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012   #380
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Dont feel sorry for JJ. He's made his millions and partied like it's 1999 in the process. For a man with so little intestinal fortitude he's done quite well for himself. Party On JJ. PT Barnum once said there's a sucker born everyday. In this case that would be Rick and Gary.

Good Riddance
Just because someone has a lot of money doesn't mean that I can't feel for them...

But that said...I don't feel for Jacoby...

I never said that I did...It was a dumb play. Period.

But that's not why he needs to never be our primary punt returner again...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read