Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2011   #1
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans defensive scheme varies with different CB in the line-up (Jackson/Allen)

I had mentioned since early in the season that Wade schemes differently when KJ was in the line-up as opposed to Allen.

With KJ, the Texans are quite clear-cut; they don't scheme to give KJ any more help than JJo.
(I wanted to say, overall JJo might have gotten a little more help (since he normally cover the opponent #1 receiver, but it will take a lot of time to show that so just take this with a grain of salt.)

On the other hand, when Allen entered the game, the scheme changes.
It doesn't happen on every play, but overall, Allen receives more help (one way or another).
Before I get to this part (and I don't even know if I have any time next week), let me just a handful of plays with KJ in the game.

I randomly pick up the second half of the Falcons game, but you can check for yourself on other instances.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans defensive scheme varies with different CB in the line-up (Jackson/Allen)

Atlanta Falcons at 12:53
1-10-ATL 20 (12:53) M.Turner right tackle to ATL 20 for no gain (B.Reed).
PENALTY on ATL-T.Clabo, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at ATL 20 - No Play.

Here, we see the O in single backfield.
There's a lone receiver on JJo's side while there are 5 defenders.
On KJ's side, there are 3 offensive threats and 6 defenders.

It seems like the D is a little heavy on JJo's side, but since Ryans took on the RB after the snap, it evens out to man-under with 2 safeties over the top for a balance defensive scheme.
Old 12-11-2011   #3
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Texans defensive scheme varies with different CB in the line-up (Jackson/Allen)

1-20-ATL 10 (12:24) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to T.Gonzalez.

On this play, both receivers are on the same side, with JJo and KJ covering.
Manning plays deep middle safety while Quin plays cover 2 to help the two LBs on their TEs.

Cushing jams Gonzalez and plays underneath with Quin over the top.

I won't get into details since it has nothing to do with the CBs.
Old 12-11-2011   #4
76Texan
Hall of Fame

2-20-ATL 10 (12:18) M.Ryan pass short right to R.White to ATL 25 for 15 yards (K.Jackson).

Here, the Falcons sends a TE to the left; we have a safety shifted over to back up the LB.

KJ came off his man to put a hit on White, who got some seperation from JJo.
Old 12-11-2011   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

3-5-ATL 25 (12:18) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ATL-T.Clabo, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 25 - No Play.

On this play, pre-snap, there were five defenders on each side even though there were 3 offensive threats on JJo's side.
However, after the snap, Nolan moved to the middle while Quin shifted to take on the RB.

The D played man under with a single safety deep in the middle while sending Cushing in on a blitz.

There were 3 rushers on JJo's side as opposed to 2 on the other side (this helps JJo as the passing lanes get more clogged up on his side.)
Old 12-11-2011   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

3-10-ATL 20 (11:31) (Shotgun) M.Ryan sacked at ATL 15 for -5 yards (C.Barwin). FUMBLES (C.Barwin), RECOVERED by HST-J.Watt at ATL 15. J.Watt to ATL 15 for no gain (J.Hawley).
PENALTY on HST-B.McCain, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 20 - No Play.

On this play, there are 3 offensive threats on JJo's side, corresponding to 6 defenders, which is normal standard.
Old 12-11-2011   #7
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, this is getting sooooooo freaking old. Everyone knows how you feel about KJ. We get it ok!!!!!! These screen shots don't prove a thing and its getting a little tired in my opinion. You don't know what coverage they were in and what the defensive game plan was so you can't speak on what they're thinking. I can only tell you that you're getting on "my" nerves. Not speaking for anyone else but myself. Did this really require another thread?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2011   #8
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

We get it. You like KJ.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Man, this is getting sooooooo freaking old. Everyone knows how you feel about KJ. We get it ok!!!!!! These screen shots don't prove a thing and its getting a little tired in my opinion. You don't know what coverage they were in and what the defensive game plan was so you can't speak on what they're thinking. I can only tell you that you're getting on "my" nerves. Not speaking for anyone else but myself. Did this really require another thread?
Are all your expressed opinions "fresh"? I often disagree with 76Texan, but I sure won't complain about him putting thought/effort into his posts and attempting to make his point with detailed analysis and video/picture evidence. You saw the thread title and the author. Do you have so little self-discipline that you couldn't avoid clicking? Or, are you that determined to attack someone that you were excited to click on it?
Old 12-11-2011   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Are all your expressed opinions "fresh"? I often disagree with 76Texan, but I sure won't complain about him putting thought/effort into his posts and attempting to make his point with detailed analysis and video/picture evidence. You saw the thread title and the author. Do you have so little self-discipline that you couldn't avoid clicking? Or, are you that determined to attack someone that you were excited to click on it?
Thanks, Dale!

TX4L, after one watches some 300 plus snaps with this in mind, an overall trend can be seen.

When there are more pass rushers on one side, the defense clearly schemes to give him extra help.

When a safety clearly brackets a receiver together with the CB, that's double-teaming, no doubt about it!
Old 12-11-2011   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

1-10-ATL 25 (11:13) M.Turner left tackle to ATL 24 for -1 yards (D.Ryans).

Here, Allen spells JJo for a play, there's no comparison to be made.

Manning dropped back to the middle to play single deep safety on this running play.
Old 12-11-2011   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

2-11-ATL 24 (10:35) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass short middle to T.Gonzalez to ATL 37 for 13 yards (G.Quin).

2nd play in a row in which JJo was given a little rest.

Here, Manning and Allen dropped back to play deep 1/4.
Ryans and KJ played underneath.

This is fairly standard for how the outside CB and the inside CB play in a combo zone.
Old 12-11-2011   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, but I'll just guess that maybe they trust KJ on deep threats a little more than Allen. I believe JK is faster, even if Allen is still a little more sound in learned skills. That's all I got, other than O's trying to pick on KJ, which I would too, and I just hope that Wade keeps having success.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

1-10-ATL 37 (9:57) M.Ryan pass incomplete short left to J.Jones [D.Ryans].

JJo was on the outside receiver who ran a post route.
Manning cut off this deep receiver in the middle.

KJ ran with the slot receiver on the underneath route.

The QB couldn't find anybody open as pressure chased him out of the pocket.
He ended up throwing the ball out of bound.

The sequence can be found here:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...0Half%202/108/
Old 12-11-2011   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

2-10-ATL 37 (9:49) M.Turner up the middle to ATL 39 for 2 yards (B.Reed).

Another balance look by the D.
Old 12-11-2011   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

That's all I got for now since I have to run.

At any rate, watch the game today and see if you notice anything different while Allen is in there (an extra pass rusher, a double team, whatever...) here and there.
Old 12-11-2011   #17
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 3408 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Agreed. On the other hand i think we should be questioning why Wade put Kareem in 1on1 coverage against a receiver that could run circles around him?
jtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #18
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
That's all I got for now since I have to run.

At any rate, watch the game today and see if you notice anything different while Allen is in there (an extra pass rusher, a double team, whatever...) here and there.
I've noticed it on the field as well (we have end zone seats). This wasn't the case early in the season when Allen would get no help at all (the Raiders game when he got burned on those deep outs). KJ can tackle well, Allen let's guys slip through. Allen also makes more plays on the ball.

Interestingly, did you notice that on several series when we were in the nickel that KJ was out? It happened on several consecutive series in the 2nd half, IIRC. I don't know if they were spelling him or Allen went in because of the hurry up and they couldn't put KJ back in.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I don't know if they were spelling him or Allen went in because of the hurry up and they couldn't put KJ back in.
The Texans rotate Jackson and Allen. Not sure under what circumstances, but it seems Jackson gets 2/3s of the series. McCain is the nickel, regardless.
Old 12-11-2011   #20
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Joseph 4 ints 13 passes defended, Allen 4 ints 10 passes defended

then you have Jackson 1 int 4 passes defensed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read