Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Offense Heavy Mock

The Texans have only ever had 1 offensive heavy mock, 2006 which came with the first two picks being defensive ones. Especially since Kubiak came to town it seems that defense has always gotten the nod. Last year comes and it's almost exclusively defense and they've shown they have the horses to be great. So now it's time to revamp the offense in a similar manner!

1. Peter Konz C - 6'5'' 310 5.16 40 - Plan on moving him to LG while he learns from Meyers
2. Marvin McNutt WR - 6'2'' 215 4.52 40 Big, fast target. Receiver upgrade they definitely need.
3. Coby Fleener TE - 6'6'' 245 4.77 40 Big, good hands, quick routes. OD v.2.
4. Ryan Miller OG - 6'8'' 298 5.32 Said to be athletic, potentially a RT moving Winston inside.
5. T.Y Hilton WR - 5'10'' 190 4.48 40 - Speed out of the slot, good hands, high character.
6. Chad Diehl FB - 6'2'' 265 4.70 40 Would blast a hole in a mountain.
7. Chris Rainey RB - 5'8'' 175 4.36 Possible Sproles clone for a 7th round pick. Possible return man.

The Texans have only ever had 1 offensive heavy mock, 2006 which came with the first two picks being defensive ones. Especially since Kubiak came to town it seems that defense has always gotten the nod. Last year comes and it's almost exclusively defense and they've shown they have the horses to be great. So now it's time to revamp the offense in a similar manner!

1. Peter Konz C - 6'5'' 310 5.16 40 - Plan on moving him to LG while he learns from Meyers
2. Marvin McNutt WR - 6'2'' 215 4.52 40 Big, fast target. Receiver upgrade they definitely need.
4. Ryan Miller OG - 6'8'' 298 5.32 Said to be athletic, potentially a RT moving Winston inside.
5. T.Y Hilton WR - 5'10'' 190 4.48 40 - Speed out of the slot, good hands, high character.
7. Chris Rainey RB - 5'8'' 175 4.36 Possible Sproles clone for a 7th round pick. Possible return man.

Those early drafts were defensive heavy and continued to be that way for years because we didn't have anyone on staff that could properly evaluate defensive talent. We had Kubiak, who knows nothing about defensive talent and then he chose back to back inept defensive coordinators Richard Smith and Frank Bush who also knew nothing about defensive talent. Now we have a real DC and look what we got in the draft.

As for your mock draft I like your choices with the exception of the TE. I don't know anything about him, I just don't see a need for another TE even if we lose Dreesen to FA. I'd use that pick on another O-lineman. I also have my doubts that Ryan Miller will last til the late 4th round.

I also like to do an all offensive mock and an all defensive mock. A team can make a massive change to one side of the ball that way.

Those early drafts were defensive heavy and continued to be that way for years because we didn't have anyone on staff that could properly evaluate defensive talent. We had Kubiak, who knows nothing about defensive talent and then he chose back to back inept defensive coordinators Richard Smith and Frank Bush who also knew nothing about defensive talent. Now we have a real DC and look what we got in the draft.
Well Kubiak at least picked some talent out of the later rounds to build his offense. He always allowed the DC to have a top flight athlete/first round picks though. Wade put together a hell of a team with one massive off season. Now give Kubiak that same chance!
As for your mock draft I like your choices with the exception of the TE. I don't know anything about him, I just don't see a need for another TE even if we lose Dreesen to FA. I'd use that pick on another O-lineman. I also have my doubts that Ryan Miller will last til the late 4th round.
He's A-Luck's security blanket. He's a big guy that will get open and make the catch. Dreesen is a solid player but he's hit his ceiling, this guy Fleener has bigtime potential, especially with OD, AJ and Foster on the field. This team relies on the 2 and 3 TE sets and they need better receivers not just at wide out but end as well. With this draft you'll have OD, Fleener, Graham at TE, Casey and Diehl at FB and Foster, Tate, Ward and Rainey at back. That's entirely more dynamic than OD, Dreesen Casey and Vickers. The OL had the 1st and 4th pick, 2 solid options at OG, they wouldn't need the 3rd as well.

I agree about Miller, for now though I think I can get away with it! Let's see your all-offense draft!

OK, here's mine. I put this together pretty quickly.

1. Dwight Jones-WR, tall, athletic, good speed, great hands, and good routes.
2. Kevin Zeitler-OG, very good pass protection, very good run blocking, athletic and quick.
3. Brandon Washington-OG/OT, very athletic for a big man, plays with a mean streak, and a good punch.
4. A.J. Jenkins-WR, good size, good speed, and good college production.
5. Ryan Lindley-QB, good size and lots of potential, #3 QB.
6. Tauren Poole-RB, good size and speed, runs with power, falls due to hamstring injury and limited production, #3 RB.
7. Cody Johnson-FB, good blocker but can also carry the ball and catch passes.

It's probably not perfect but I put it together quickly.

Not the way I'd go but I would not run screaming from the room.

OK, here's mine. I put this together pretty quickly.

1. Dwight Jones-WR, tall, athletic, good speed, great hands, and good routes.
2. Kevin Zeitler-OG, very good pass protection, very good run blocking, athletic and quick.
3. Brandon Washington-OG/OT, very athletic for a big man, plays with a mean streak, and a good punch.
4. A.J. Jenkins-WR, good size, good speed, and good college production.
5. Ryan Lindley-QB, good size and lots of potential, #3 QB.
6. Tauren Poole-RB, good size and speed, runs with power, falls due to hamstring injury and limited production, #3 RB.
7. Cody Johnson-FB, good blocker but can also carry the ball and catch passes.

It's probably not perfect but I put it together quickly.
Love top 3 picks but would not draft QB this high as Yates looking great. Expect Schaub to get UDFA QB and use 5th for another position. Are you interested in trading up the 3rd & 5th as we did last year for another 2nd? NT Ta'Amu? I think Washington could be there ein 4th but would go LB J. Franklin from Arkansas.

Not the way I'd go but I would not run screaming from the room.

Love top 3 picks but would not draft QB this high as Yates looking great. Expect Schaub to get UDFA QB and use 5th for another position. Are you interested in trading up the 3rd & 5th as we did last year for another 2nd? NT Ta'Amu? I think Washington could be there ein 4th but would go LB J. Franklin from Arkansas.

Lets see your mock badboy. No defensive players either, this is you turning the offense into a powerhouse in one year like the defense did.

First off this is an all offense mock draft, I can't pick Ta'amu or Franklin in any round. Also the pick of Lindley in the 5th is based on us either releasing or trading Leinart in the offseason, I should have explained better but I was trying to be brief. I support attempting to trade Leinart, get something for him, and move on with Yates as our backup. I'd have no problem trading 3rd and 5th for an extra 2nd but in this all offense mock I'd have to select another high quality O-lineman like Nate Potter, Ricky Wagner, Ben Jones, Cordy Glenn, or Ryan Miller with that extra 2nd. That would give us:
1. Dwight Jones-WR
2. Kevin Zeitler-OG
2. Extra high quality O-lineman
4. A.J. Jenkins-WR

This would do our offense wonders. We'd probably be even better in the running game by spreading out the defense with better WR's, better able to keep Schaub or Yates healthy with better quality O-linmen, and improve our passing game by taking pressure off of AJ. Win, win, win situation.

i love t.y. hilton. great player, a poor man's randall cobb. think he goes higher than 5th though, probably a late 3rd/early 4th.

1. Slot WR Kendall Wright #27 Baylor
2. Flanker Dwight Jones #59 N.C.
2b OG Kevin Zeitler #60 (traded up with Pats like last draft) Wisconsin
3. Traded
4. Josh Oglesby 6'7" 331 RT Wisconsin
5. Traded
6. Chad Diehl Fb
7. T Bob Hebert C LSU

1. Slot WR Kendall Wright #27 Baylor
2. Flanker Dwight Jones #59 N.C.
2b OG Kevin Zeitler #60 (traded up with Pats like last draft) Wisconsin
3. Traded
4. Josh Oglesby 6'7" 331 RT Wisconsin
5. Traded
6. Chad Diehl Fb
7. T Bob Hebert C LSU

I think that draft would require some luck on a few players but if it fell that way I'd be thrilled.

Yeah. I'd like the junior drafters around here to throw together a list of their WRs, top to bottom. Everywhere I look it seems like people have a different perspective on who is better/rounds they will go. I think, however, despite widely differing opinions on who is better than who everyone will probably agree this is a fairly deep WR class. Seems like a lot of big, athletic targets available through all rounds.

TK, here's my list of WR in the order I like them and what round they go in:

Justin Blackmon-1st round top 10 pick
Michael Floyd-1st round pick
Alshon Jeffery-late 1st round pick
Dwight Jones-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Kendall Wright-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Mohamed Sanu-late 1st or early 2nd round but he's staying in school
Juron Criner-late 2nd round pick
Marivn McNutt-late 2nd round pick
Jeff Fuller-late 2nd or early 3rd round pick
There's a bunch of guys in the 3rd or 4th round:
Nick Toon, Tommy Streeter, Ruben Randle, A.J. Jenkins, Ryan Broyles, etc...

This draft is very deep at WR, one of the few positions that this draft is good for.

Yeah. I'd like the junior drafters around here to throw together a list of their WRs, top to bottom. Everywhere I look it seems like people have a different perspective on who is better/rounds they will go. I think, however, despite widely differing opinions on who is better than who everyone will probably agree this is a fairly deep WR class. Seems like a lot of big, athletic targets available through all rounds.
Due to massive amounts of infor to research, I usually do not evaluate players I think do not fit Texans. For example OT/OG Kelechi Osemely would not do well in ZBS.
ALso, if I strongly think a player would not be drafted by Houston due to not being available or character/health issues I spend little time on them.

Kendall Wright perfect slot WR who could play flanker. SHould start over all but AJ. Speed/hands & bring ball in against all comers despite height.

Dwight Jones perfect flanker. Michael Floyd without drinking issues

Michael Floyd good at everything. My #2 WR overall if no drinking involved

Marvin McNutt could rise or fall as much as a round depending on combine

Nick Toon I would not draft & is only Wisconsin player I am not high on. Inconsistent. His daddy doesn't play anymore.

Well, I'm sure everyone has a favorite team but when they write for a site they should be as unbiased as possible. It's just funny to me how most people see it like this:

Blackmon/Floyd are top 15 talents
Wright is late 1st/early 2nd

...but then it comes to the 4-10 rankings and it's all over the place. Dwight Jones, McNutt, AJ Jenkins, Criner, Fuller and Toon are all over the place wherever you look. We should end up with at least one of these guys though so I think it's an important position to research.

This will be the draft that we finalize filling holes and getting needed back ups. Cold be building a dynasty. Just opposite of Astros & Rockets.

TK, here's my list of WR in the order I like them and what round they go in:

Justin Blackmon-1st round top 10 pick
Michael Floyd-1st round pick
Alshon Jeffery-late 1st round pick
Dwight Jones-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Kendall Wright-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Mohamed Sanu-late 1st or early 2nd round but he's staying in school
Juron Criner-late 2nd round pick
Marivn McNutt-late 2nd round pick
Jeff Fuller-late 2nd or early 3rd round pick
There's a bunch of guys in the 3rd or 4th round:
Nick Toon, Tommy Streeter, Ruben Randle, A.J. Jenkins, Ryan Broyles, etc...

This draft is very deep at WR, one of the few positions that this draft is good for.

I think this guy will be a steal for someone later in the draft.

4.5 / 40 will hold him back in the draft.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hemingway_junior00.html

:coffee:

Despite the cool name, I don't think it's his 40 holding him back. Probably the lack of bigtime production. He's got a nice frame and 4.5 is pretty average. Somewhere in the 4.4's is what you would probably prefer for a WR but long speed is just one aspect. How are his hands?

I don't have a large amount of info/stats other than what is stated in the link.

I watched him destroy my Irish and I watched him in the Ohio St game.

He looked pretty good in both games.

Small sample I know. Could be the highlights of his career.

He just impressed me as a guy that can make the catch when you need him to make it. I don't know how else to explain why I liked what I saw.

Just projected the it factor, imho.

I think this guy will be a steal for someone later in the draft.

4.5 / 40 will hold him back in the draft.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hemingway_junior00.html

Why? Just curious as I never heard of him. Great YPC but not many passes thrown to him is that because of QB? The following is interesting;
Kenneth Earl "Junior" Hemingway, Jr. (born December 27, 1988) is an American football wide receiver playing his redshirt senior season in 2011 for the Michigan Wolverines football team. He is the team leader in receptions and receiving yards. After totaling 593 receiving yards in 2010, Hemingway was expected to standout in the pro-style offense implemented during his 2011 senior season. He surpassed his prior yardage total, but not by much. At the conclusion of the regular season he ranked in the top 10 of the Football Bowl Subdivision in yards per reception and first in the Big Ten Conference. He was a 2011 All-Big Ten honorable mention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Hemingway

Maybe he should play defense as this from Scout.com:

His junior season, Junior Hemingway caught 52 passes for 846 yards and 10 touchdowns. On defense he made four interceptions in just four games.

Grouping 1, Rd.1

Floyd, Blackmon, Jeffries

Wright, Jones

Grouping 2, Rd.2

Streeter (If character checks out) Toon, Aaron Dobson (If he comes out) Late 2nd early 3rd.

Grouping 3, Rd3

AJ Jenkins, Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, DeVier Posey, Rishard Matthews

Grouping 4 Rd. 4

McNutt, Broyles, Hilton, Fuller, Jermaine Kearse, Criner, Jordan White

Grouping 5 Rd.5 Maze, Keyshawn Martin, BJ Cunningham,

Grouping 6/7 Rd.6 Patrick Edwards, Lance Lewis, Greg Chlds, James Rodgers, Derek Moye, Thomas Mayo, and last but not least CC's guy Hemingway

Overall one of the deepest WR classes in a long time. However the top end talent doesn't match up with some previous classes. IMHO

Why? Just curious as I never heard of him. Great YPC but not many passes thrown to him is that because of QB? The following is interesting;
Kenneth Earl "Junior" Hemingway, Jr. (born December 27, 1988) is an American football wide receiver playing his redshirt senior season in 2011 for the Michigan Wolverines football team. He is the team leader in receptions and receiving yards. After totaling 593 receiving yards in 2010, Hemingway was expected to standout in the pro-style offense implemented during his 2011 senior season. He surpassed his prior yardage total, but not by much. At the conclusion of the regular season he ranked in the top 10 of the Football Bowl Subdivision in yards per reception and first in the Big Ten Conference. He was a 2011 All-Big Ten honorable mention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Hemingway

Maybe he should play defense as this from Scout.com:

His junior season, Junior Hemingway caught 52 passes for 846 yards and 10 touchdowns. On defense he made four interceptions in just four games.

QB was Denard Robinson

CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG INT
Season 133 237 2056 56.1 8.68 77 18

I noticed in Hemmingways stats that returning kicks and punts is not a strong suit, something that is usually required of a receiver who is not a top draft pick.

I didn't see a pro style offense at Mich. Mostly relied on Robinsons athletic abilities.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insi...espn.go.com/ncf/insider/news/story?id=6387993

"After all, there seems to be more than a bit of trepidation as to whether or not junior quarterback Denard Robinson (aka "Shoelace") will be able to effectively shift to this new system after bursting onto the national scene last season on the strength of his tremendous running ability. Robinson's skills as a passer were frequently questioned last season, and an inconsistent showing in the Michigan Spring Game didn't do a lot to help alleviate the fears of those worried that Shoelace won't be able to thrive in a more pro-style system."

I'd just like for the Texans to give him (Hemmingway) a look if possible.

Grouping 1, Rd.1

Floyd, Blackmon, Jeffries

Wright, Jones

Grouping 2, Rd.2

Streeter (If character checks out) Toon, Aaron Dobson (If he comes out) Late 2nd early 3rd.

Grouping 3, Rd3

AJ Jenkins, Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, DeVier Posey, Rishard Matthews

Grouping 4 Rd. 4

McNutt, Broyles, Hilton, Fuller, Jermaine Kearse, Criner, Jordan White

Grouping 5 Rd.5 Maze, Keyshawn Martin, BJ Cunningham,

Grouping 6/7 Rd.6 Patrick Edwards, Lance Lewis, Greg Chlds, James Rodgers, Derek Moye, Thomas Mayo, and last but not least CC's guy Hemingway

Overall one of the deepest WR classes in a long time. However the top end talent doesn't match up with some previous classes. IMHO
i would love for you to be correct about McNutt and Broyles as I would trade down and draft both in a heart beat.

One guy I haven't seen anyone mention is

Jarrett Boykin, Virginia Tech, 6-2, 220, 4.55, SR … Big-play receiver who is a physical mismatch for a lot of DBs, especially smaller corners; has averaged over 17 yards per reception in his career and caught 53 passes last fall; has long arms and huge hands and can pluck the ball out of the air; will also make the tough catch in traffic, but will also drop the occasional gimme; also a good leaper with a reported vertical of almost 37 inches and has good body control and adjusts well to balls in the air; not all that fast, but is a long strider with an extra gear when the ball is in the air; decent runner after the catch with a thick lower body who is difficult to drag down in the open field; however, doesn’t create a lot of separation and doesn’t run particularly crisp routes.

Has no one watched this guy or did he not impress any of you? When I watched VT play UNC (I was checkling out jones) Boykin impressed me jones did not.

One guy I haven't seen anyone mention is

Jarrett Boykin, Virginia Tech, 6-2, 220, 4.55, SR … Big-play receiver who is a physical mismatch for a lot of DBs, especially smaller corners; has averaged over 17 yards per reception in his career and caught 53 passes last fall; has long arms and huge hands and can pluck the ball out of the air; will also make the tough catch in traffic, but will also drop the occasional gimme; also a good leaper with a reported vertical of almost 37 inches and has good body control and adjusts well to balls in the air; not all that fast, but is a long strider with an extra gear when the ball is in the air; decent runner after the catch with a thick lower body who is difficult to drag down in the open field; however, doesn’t create a lot of separation and doesn’t run particularly crisp routes.

Has no one watched this guy or did he not impress any of you? When I watched VT play UNC (I was checkling out jones) Boykin impressed me jones did not.
Later round guy that looked good last night but reminds me of Jacoby for some reason. He is slow, probably in the 4.65 range which if he was TE would be slightly more reasonable. His career receptions are about what Kendall Wright or Jordan White got this one season.

What did you think about Dwight Jones? Seemed to have an off night.

i would love for you to be correct about McNutt and Broyles as I would trade down and draft both in a heart beat.

Two of those in grouping #4 will be there in rd. 4.

I would guess Broyles, Fuller and White. White is very underrated. IMHO

Yeah White being fom a small school will scare some GMs off. He sure looks good in film though.

If you were to group the WR's, what would your groupjngs look like?

I would like for the group mockers to each individully give their groupings and then their combined groupings. If y'all have the time.

In no particular order per grouping:

Group 1, round 1- Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd
Group 2, round 1/2- Wright, Toon
Group 3, round 2- Jones, Sanu, Randle
Group 4, round 3- McNutt, Streeter, Jenkins, Fuller
Group 5, round 4- Kearse, Broyles, Hilton, Quick
Group 6, round 5- Adams, Jenkins, White, Maze, Wright, Cunningham
Group 7, round 6- Posey, Robinson, Childs, Criner, Moye, Matthews
Group 8, round 7- Owusu, Boykin, Martin, Nelson
Group 9, round 7/UDFA- About a dozen more guys fit in here

I could see the Texans reaching for Streeter at the bottom of rd.2 and taking either Broyles or Hilton as a slot WR in rd.4.

The value picks to me based on your groupings are White and Maze in Rd.5 I'm not sue they're not as good as group 5, Rd 4 guys.

Nice grouping, have you seen Aaron Dobson play, that guy is a real sleeper if he comes out. I would add him to the group 2-3 ranking. He and Streeter a 2 huge wildcards for WR needy teams like the Texans.

In no particular order per grouping:

Group 1, round 1- Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd
Group 2, round 1/2- Wright, Toon
Group 3, round 2- Jones, Sanu, Randle
Group 4, round 3- McNutt, Streeter, Jenkins, Fuller
Group 5, round 4- Kearse, Broyles, Hilton, Quick
Group 6, round 5- Adams, Jenkins, White, Maze, Wright, Cunningham
Group 7, round 6- Posey, Robinson, Childs, Criner, Moye, Matthews
Group 8, round 7- Owusu, Boykin, Martin, Nelson
Group 9, round 7/UDFA- About a dozen more guys fit in here
To save time I will go with 65 but add my changes. Toon will be taken in second but I grade him as a 3rd. I also have Wright higher than Jones and Sanu and personally think he will be better than all but Blackmon. I think McNutt will go late 2nd with Broyle (if healthy) going round 3. White I cannot place yet. He is the WR to Case Keenum QB in that will he translate to NFL.

If we gamble on a WR in a later round just because we think he will be avail, that could be a big mistake. This draft should allow us to take the next step in becoming a dynasty team. Yeah we could hit on another Arian Foster but I'd rather the ods be on my side in top 3 rounds at least. This week of bowls wil present useful info on many of these guys. For example Dwight Jones had a rough outing last night and moved down my board.

IMO, WR2 is our priority need & we have chance to nail that down. In fact, we might get starting WRs in 1st & second.

I could see the Texans reaching for Streeter at the bottom of rd.2 and taking either Broyles or Hilton as a slot WR in rd.4.

Streeter has alot of unpolished physical talent thus I could see alot of teams reaching for him in the 2nd round. He's a very tempting risk in the 2nd round and I wouldn't be opposed to this idea. The Combine will be very important for Streeter so that he can show his talent against other more polished WR on a neutral field. If we're going to take this risk and drop WR to the 2nd round then we'd better go after some stud O-line help in the 1st round.

I'm not totally opposed to BB's idea of taking a starting WR in the 1st and 2nd round but we've got to find some quality O-line help somewhere. Waiting til the late 3rd for O-line help is hoping that someone good will fall and that's risky. I also don't see us having much money or being much of a player in FA this year with Myers, Williams, Dreesen, Allen, Foster, etc... all needing to be re-signed.

Later round guy that looked good last night but reminds me of Jacoby for some reason. He is slow, probably in the 4.65 range which if he was TE would be slightly more reasonable. His career receptions are about what Kendall Wright or Jordan White got this one season.

What did you think about Dwight Jones? Seemed to have an off night.

Looked good last night? Wasn't aware they played last night. Did I miss something? Don't see the comparison to JJ at all. They are nothing alike in anyway. As far as his speed goes I have no idea. Depends on where you get your info from. We will find out for sure at the combine.

No offense but comparing career receptions is silly. He plays for VT. Not exactly the run and shoot. Last season was the first in 15 that they averaged more than 200 yards passing per game. Not to mention there is probably not a single person here that is not a VT fan that could even name their QB. And he has broken every receiving record there is there. Dont really see how he could of done more.

Link to highlights of VT vs UNC game

I know this will sound ridiculous but he reminds me alot of Andre Johnson coming out minus the speed. He is a big physical WR that is hard to bring down. He has great hands but is prone to drop some easy ones. He is very soft spoken as you will see in this article.

LINK

"I don't like the attention too much," Boykin said, "because when people get caught up in the attention, that's when they start getting big-headed, start lacking focus and think everything's going to come easy. I've always had to work hard for everything."

Big, huge hands, low key, hard working, makes the tough catch, really good yac, solid blocker. If he can run in the 4.5's could be a steal later in the draft.

As for Jones, he looked ok. Just not as good as Boykin.

Jordan White had another great game today against Purdue. (Didn't get to see it) Numbers were outstanding.

This Guy just knows how to get open.

Currently watching NC St. vs Louisville, Graham is fast and appears to have good hands. This is the 1st time I've seen him play. But it looks like he could be a good slot WR and KR.

Jordan White had another great game today against Purdue. (Didn't get to see it) Numbers were outstanding.

This Guy just knows how to get open.

Currently watching NC St. vs Louisville, Graham is fast and appears to have good hands. This is the 1st time I've seen him play. But it looks like he could be a good slot WR and KR.
White just gets to the ball. Unbelievable stats and ball skills.

Back