Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-10-2011   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Offense Heavy Mock

The Texans have only ever had 1 offensive heavy mock, 2006 which came with the first two picks being defensive ones. Especially since Kubiak came to town it seems that defense has always gotten the nod. Last year comes and it's almost exclusively defense and they've shown they have the horses to be great. So now it's time to revamp the offense in a similar manner!

1. Peter Konz C - 6'5'' 310 5.16 40 - Plan on moving him to LG while he learns from Meyers
2. Marvin McNutt WR - 6'2'' 215 4.52 40 Big, fast target. Receiver upgrade they definitely need.
3. Coby Fleener TE - 6'6'' 245 4.77 40 Big, good hands, quick routes. OD v.2.
4. Ryan Miller OG - 6'8'' 298 5.32 Said to be athletic, potentially a RT moving Winston inside.
5. T.Y Hilton WR - 5'10'' 190 4.48 40 - Speed out of the slot, good hands, high character.
6. Chad Diehl FB - 6'2'' 265 4.70 40 Would blast a hole in a mountain.
7. Chris Rainey RB - 5'8'' 175 4.36 Possible Sproles clone for a 7th round pick. Possible return man.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offense Heavy Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The Texans have only ever had 1 offensive heavy mock, 2006 which came with the first two picks being defensive ones. Especially since Kubiak came to town it seems that defense has always gotten the nod. Last year comes and it's almost exclusively defense and they've shown they have the horses to be great. So now it's time to revamp the offense in a similar manner!

1. Peter Konz C - 6'5'' 310 5.16 40 - Plan on moving him to LG while he learns from Meyers
2. Marvin McNutt WR - 6'2'' 215 4.52 40 Big, fast target. Receiver upgrade they definitely need.
4. Ryan Miller OG - 6'8'' 298 5.32 Said to be athletic, potentially a RT moving Winston inside.
5. T.Y Hilton WR - 5'10'' 190 4.48 40 - Speed out of the slot, good hands, high character.
7. Chris Rainey RB - 5'8'' 175 4.36 Possible Sproles clone for a 7th round pick. Possible return man.

Those early drafts were defensive heavy and continued to be that way for years because we didn't have anyone on staff that could properly evaluate defensive talent. We had Kubiak, who knows nothing about defensive talent and then he chose back to back inept defensive coordinators Richard Smith and Frank Bush who also knew nothing about defensive talent. Now we have a real DC and look what we got in the draft.

As for your mock draft I like your choices with the exception of the TE. I don't know anything about him, I just don't see a need for another TE even if we lose Dreesen to FA. I'd use that pick on another O-lineman. I also have my doubts that Ryan Miller will last til the late 4th round.

I also like to do an all offensive mock and an all defensive mock. A team can make a massive change to one side of the ball that way.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #3
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Those early drafts were defensive heavy and continued to be that way for years because we didn't have anyone on staff that could properly evaluate defensive talent. We had Kubiak, who knows nothing about defensive talent and then he chose back to back inept defensive coordinators Richard Smith and Frank Bush who also knew nothing about defensive talent. Now we have a real DC and look what we got in the draft.
Well Kubiak at least picked some talent out of the later rounds to build his offense. He always allowed the DC to have a top flight athlete/first round picks though. Wade put together a hell of a team with one massive off season. Now give Kubiak that same chance!
Quote:
As for your mock draft I like your choices with the exception of the TE. I don't know anything about him, I just don't see a need for another TE even if we lose Dreesen to FA. I'd use that pick on another O-lineman. I also have my doubts that Ryan Miller will last til the late 4th round.
He's A-Luck's security blanket. He's a big guy that will get open and make the catch. Dreesen is a solid player but he's hit his ceiling, this guy Fleener has bigtime potential, especially with OD, AJ and Foster on the field. This team relies on the 2 and 3 TE sets and they need better receivers not just at wide out but end as well. With this draft you'll have OD, Fleener, Graham at TE, Casey and Diehl at FB and Foster, Tate, Ward and Rainey at back. That's entirely more dynamic than OD, Dreesen Casey and Vickers. The OL had the 1st and 4th pick, 2 solid options at OG, they wouldn't need the 3rd as well.

I agree about Miller, for now though I think I can get away with it! Let's see your all-offense draft!
Old 12-11-2011   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, here's mine. I put this together pretty quickly.

1. Dwight Jones-WR, tall, athletic, good speed, great hands, and good routes.
2. Kevin Zeitler-OG, very good pass protection, very good run blocking, athletic and quick.
3. Brandon Washington-OG/OT, very athletic for a big man, plays with a mean streak, and a good punch.
4. A.J. Jenkins-WR, good size, good speed, and good college production.
5. Ryan Lindley-QB, good size and lots of potential, #3 QB.
6. Tauren Poole-RB, good size and speed, runs with power, falls due to hamstring injury and limited production, #3 RB.
7. Cody Johnson-FB, good blocker but can also carry the ball and catch passes.

It's probably not perfect but I put it together quickly.
Old 12-11-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not the way I'd go but I would not run screaming from the room.
Old 12-11-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, here's mine. I put this together pretty quickly.

1. Dwight Jones-WR, tall, athletic, good speed, great hands, and good routes.
2. Kevin Zeitler-OG, very good pass protection, very good run blocking, athletic and quick.
3. Brandon Washington-OG/OT, very athletic for a big man, plays with a mean streak, and a good punch.
4. A.J. Jenkins-WR, good size, good speed, and good college production.
5. Ryan Lindley-QB, good size and lots of potential, #3 QB.
6. Tauren Poole-RB, good size and speed, runs with power, falls due to hamstring injury and limited production, #3 RB.
7. Cody Johnson-FB, good blocker but can also carry the ball and catch passes.

It's probably not perfect but I put it together quickly.
Love top 3 picks but would not draft QB this high as Yates looking great. Expect Schaub to get UDFA QB and use 5th for another position. Are you interested in trading up the 3rd & 5th as we did last year for another 2nd? NT Ta'Amu? I think Washington could be there ein 4th but would go LB J. Franklin from Arkansas.
Old 12-11-2011   #7
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not the way I'd go but I would not run screaming from the room.
Quote:
Love top 3 picks but would not draft QB this high as Yates looking great. Expect Schaub to get UDFA QB and use 5th for another position. Are you interested in trading up the 3rd & 5th as we did last year for another 2nd? NT Ta'Amu? I think Washington could be there ein 4th but would go LB J. Franklin from Arkansas.
Lets see your mock badboy. No defensive players either, this is you turning the offense into a powerhouse in one year like the defense did.
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
First off this is an all offense mock draft, I can't pick Ta'amu or Franklin in any round. Also the pick of Lindley in the 5th is based on us either releasing or trading Leinart in the offseason, I should have explained better but I was trying to be brief. I support attempting to trade Leinart, get something for him, and move on with Yates as our backup. I'd have no problem trading 3rd and 5th for an extra 2nd but in this all offense mock I'd have to select another high quality O-lineman like Nate Potter, Ricky Wagner, Ben Jones, Cordy Glenn, or Ryan Miller with that extra 2nd. That would give us:
1. Dwight Jones-WR
2. Kevin Zeitler-OG
2. Extra high quality O-lineman
4. A.J. Jenkins-WR

This would do our offense wonders. We'd probably be even better in the running game by spreading out the defense with better WR's, better able to keep Schaub or Yates healthy with better quality O-linmen, and improve our passing game by taking pressure off of AJ. Win, win, win situation.
Old 12-13-2011   #9
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

i love t.y. hilton. great player, a poor man's randall cobb. think he goes higher than 5th though, probably a late 3rd/early 4th.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Come on BB, BL, RM65 et al., let's see your all offense mocks...
Old 12-14-2011   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

1. Slot WR Kendall Wright #27 Baylor
2. Flanker Dwight Jones #59 N.C.
2b OG Kevin Zeitler #60 (traded up with Pats like last draft) Wisconsin
3. Traded
4. Josh Oglesby 6'7" 331 RT Wisconsin
5. Traded
6. Chad Diehl Fb
7. T Bob Hebert C LSU
Old 12-14-2011   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1. Slot WR Kendall Wright #27 Baylor
2. Flanker Dwight Jones #59 N.C.
2b OG Kevin Zeitler #60 (traded up with Pats like last draft) Wisconsin
3. Traded
4. Josh Oglesby 6'7" 331 RT Wisconsin
5. Traded
6. Chad Diehl Fb
7. T Bob Hebert C LSU
I think that draft would require some luck on a few players but if it fell that way I'd be thrilled.
Old 12-14-2011   #13
TimeKiller

Yeah. I'd like the junior drafters around here to throw together a list of their WRs, top to bottom. Everywhere I look it seems like people have a different perspective on who is better/rounds they will go. I think, however, despite widely differing opinions on who is better than who everyone will probably agree this is a fairly deep WR class. Seems like a lot of big, athletic targets available through all rounds.
Old 12-15-2011   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

TK, here's my list of WR in the order I like them and what round they go in:

Justin Blackmon-1st round top 10 pick
Michael Floyd-1st round pick
Alshon Jeffery-late 1st round pick
Dwight Jones-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Kendall Wright-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Mohamed Sanu-late 1st or early 2nd round but he's staying in school
Juron Criner-late 2nd round pick
Marivn McNutt-late 2nd round pick
Jeff Fuller-late 2nd or early 3rd round pick
There's a bunch of guys in the 3rd or 4th round:
Nick Toon, Tommy Streeter, Ruben Randle, A.J. Jenkins, Ryan Broyles, etc...

This draft is very deep at WR, one of the few positions that this draft is good for.
Old 12-15-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yeah. I'd like the junior drafters around here to throw together a list of their WRs, top to bottom. Everywhere I look it seems like people have a different perspective on who is better/rounds they will go. I think, however, despite widely differing opinions on who is better than who everyone will probably agree this is a fairly deep WR class. Seems like a lot of big, athletic targets available through all rounds.
Due to massive amounts of infor to research, I usually do not evaluate players I think do not fit Texans. For example OT/OG Kelechi Osemely would not do well in ZBS.
ALso, if I strongly think a player would not be drafted by Houston due to not being available or character/health issues I spend little time on them.

Kendall Wright perfect slot WR who could play flanker. SHould start over all but AJ. Speed/hands & bring ball in against all comers despite height.

Dwight Jones perfect flanker. Michael Floyd without drinking issues

Michael Floyd good at everything. My #2 WR overall if no drinking involved

Marvin McNutt could rise or fall as much as a round depending on combine

Nick Toon I would not draft & is only Wisconsin player I am not high on. Inconsistent. His daddy doesn't play anymore.
Old 12-15-2011   #16
TimeKiller

Well, I'm sure everyone has a favorite team but when they write for a site they should be as unbiased as possible. It's just funny to me how most people see it like this:

Blackmon/Floyd are top 15 talents
Wright is late 1st/early 2nd

...but then it comes to the 4-10 rankings and it's all over the place. Dwight Jones, McNutt, AJ Jenkins, Criner, Fuller and Toon are all over the place wherever you look. We should end up with at least one of these guys though so I think it's an important position to research.
Old 12-15-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

This will be the draft that we finalize filling holes and getting needed back ups. Cold be building a dynasty. Just opposite of Astros & Rockets.
Old 12-21-2011   #18
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
TK, here's my list of WR in the order I like them and what round they go in:

Justin Blackmon-1st round top 10 pick
Michael Floyd-1st round pick
Alshon Jeffery-late 1st round pick
Dwight Jones-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Kendall Wright-late 1st round or early 2nd round pick
Mohamed Sanu-late 1st or early 2nd round but he's staying in school
Juron Criner-late 2nd round pick
Marivn McNutt-late 2nd round pick
Jeff Fuller-late 2nd or early 3rd round pick
There's a bunch of guys in the 3rd or 4th round:
Nick Toon, Tommy Streeter, Ruben Randle, A.J. Jenkins, Ryan Broyles, etc...

This draft is very deep at WR, one of the few positions that this draft is good for.

I think this guy will be a steal for someone later in the draft.

4.5 / 40 will hold him back in the draft.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-foot..._junior00.html

Old 12-21-2011   #19
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I think this guy will be a steal for someone later in the draft.

4.5 / 40 will hold him back in the draft.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-foot..._junior00.html

Despite the cool name, I don't think it's his 40 holding him back. Probably the lack of bigtime production. He's got a nice frame and 4.5 is pretty average. Somewhere in the 4.4's is what you would probably prefer for a WR but long speed is just one aspect. How are his hands?
Old 12-21-2011   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 35979 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Despite the cool name, I don't think it's his 40 holding him back. Probably the lack of bigtime production. He's got a nice frame and 4.5 is pretty average. Somewhere in the 4.4's is what you would probably prefer for a WR but long speed is just one aspect. How are his hands?

I don't have a large amount of info/stats other than what is stated in the link.

I watched him destroy my Irish and I watched him in the Ohio St game.

He looked pretty good in both games.

Small sample I know. Could be the highlights of his career.

He just impressed me as a guy that can make the catch when you need him to make it. I don't know how else to explain why I liked what I saw.

Just projected the it factor, imho.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read