Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2011   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default TJ Yates; Bad throws

I just watched TJ's first drive as our starter.

Very freak'n impressive. There were two bad throws (not counting the "fumble"), both to Andre Johnson. It's just sick how that man gets so wide open, it's not like they don't know he's coming. But two of TJ's bad throws were high, one too high, Aj couldn't bring it in. The other Aj was able to bring it down, but couldn't stay on his feet, no YAC.

Other than that, "The Kid" was extremely impressive on that first drive.
Old 12-10-2011   #2
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates; Bad throws

I liked TJ when I saw him in preseason.

To come in cold with the 2 min offense and bring us to within scoring position was fantastic.

He was off at the beginning of the game last week, but the balls were close to the receivers. I just attribute that to some nerves. First game as a starter has to bring a few "butterflies" to the stomach. But he settled in fairly rapidly.

Haven't seen any other rookie QBs this season other than Gabbert. Gabbert has no pocket awareness and seems to have "deer in the headlight" eyes. Could be his Oline (David Carr sysdrome), but TJ seems to know when the pocket is collapsing and moves out of the way. He seems to have the intangibles needed.
Old 12-10-2011   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Taking into account who he is and the circumstances he was forced into, Yates rocks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #4
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

How does this guy fall all the way to the 5th round ? I mean I'm not saying he should have been taken in the first round or even the second round, but all the way to the 5th round ? He's got mobility, descent arm-strength, and accuracy, and size. He's also an experienced QB as he was a multi-year starter, 3 years as a starter I'm thinking ? Don't get it ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
How does this guy fall all the way to the 5th round ? I mean I'm not saying he should have been taken in the first round or even the second round, but all the way to the 5th round ? He's got mobility, descent arm-strength, and accuracy, and size. He's also an experienced QB as he was a multi-year starter, 3 years as a starter I'm thinking ? Don't get it ?
From what I've read, Kubiak was in the same place as you. Couldn't believe he was there & took a flyer. But that does bring up a good question.

How do you grade 1st round QBs, & what is TJ missing?
Old 12-10-2011   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

I just saw the Jacoby drop. The ball was placed quite a bit to Jj's left & he had to dive & try to catch it. I'm not calling that a bad throw, because TJ was throwing around a LB. He could have thrown it the way he did, or over the LB, which is a trickier throw, most likely caused the high balls to Andre earlier.
Old 12-10-2011   #7
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4 year starter I believe.
Old 12-10-2011   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've read a couple of times that his lack of a "bigtime" arm was a knock on him but I have yet to see what they were talking about. I think he's got perfectly acceptable arm-strength. Hell in that regard he's a bit of an upgrade to our starter.
Old 12-10-2011   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I've read a couple of times that his lack of a "bigtime" arm was a knock on him but I have yet to see what they were talking about. I think he's got perfectly acceptable arm-strength. Hell in that regard he's a bit of an upgrade to our starter.
The reason, IMO, he was a 5th rounder instead of a 2nd or 3rd, is simply that he never got thrown into the media-hype machine at the college level or by Kiper and company. If he would've had a 4 TD game as a junior, and UNC had started 7-0 (even if they finished 8-4), he would've been talked about, garnered attention, and been in the conversation the next year. As silly as that sounds, I think the draft is often impacted by such foolishness.
Old 12-10-2011   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

After he threw those first two passes high vs ATL, I told my buddy he was rushing his throw, but would settle down. He did exactly that. Even the two high passes were on target. He was just a little amped and rushed them, IMO.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody see Jaws (Ron Jaworski from ESPNs MNF), this past week on PTI say
he made the call on TJ in this past April NFL Draft ? Jaws alleges he and another football analyst said that TJ was the steal of the 2011 NFL Draft ? FWIW ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #12
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Very freak'n impressive. There were two bad throws (not counting the "fumble"), both to Andre Johnson. It's just sick how that man gets so wide open, it's not like they don't know he's coming. But two of TJ's bad throws were high, one too high, Aj couldn't bring it in. The other Aj was able to bring it down, but couldn't stay on his feet, no YAC.

I was talking about those throws the other day with a buddy and yes, it was clearly a bad pass made by TJ BUT they were thrown in such a way that only AJ could catch them. He was basically throwing two things out there on those plays; either a completion to AJ or an incomplete pass. He made sure no defenders would have a chance to get that ball.

When you look at it with this perspective it made me realize this kid is smarter and is grasping the idea of being an NFL QB much faster than most.
Old 12-10-2011   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I was talking about those throws the other day with a buddy and yes, it was clearly a bad pass made by TJ BUT they were thrown in such a way that only AJ could catch them. He was basically throwing two things out there on those plays; either a completion to AJ or an incomplete pass. He made sure no defenders would have a chance to get that ball.

When you look at it with this perspective it made me realize this kid is smarter and is grasping the idea of being an NFL QB much faster than most.
This is my thought exactly. I would rather him sail them high with an outside chance that our guy gets it or no one does than dropping them in the dirt like Matt typically does. Not saying T.J. is better than,Matt, but in this game I preferred this to what Matt generally does.

I'm also really glad T.J. is coming in and playing against 3 top 10 (maybe top 5?) defenses in a row. Great way to acclimate him to the playoffs.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, guys and gals, here's the thing. We keep winning, and because of that we see everything through rose colored glasses. You know that's true. But still, he won his first game as a starter against a pretty good team. That does mean he was a good 5th round pick if you judge him on that alone.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I'm also really glad T.J. is coming in and playing against 3 top 10 (maybe top 5?) defenses in a row. Great way to acclimate him to the playoffs.
Exactly.
Old 12-10-2011   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
he made the call on TJ in this past April NFL Draft ? Jaws alleges he and another football analyst said that TJ was the steal of the 2011 NFL Draft ? FWIW ?
Did Jaws post a link to this alledged prediction? You know we don't believe nuttin' unless he posts a link....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The reason, IMO, he was a 5th rounder instead of a 2nd or 3rd, is simply that he never got thrown into the media-hype machine at the college level or by Kiper and company. If he would've had a 4 TD game as a junior, and UNC had started 7-0 (even if they finished 8-4), he would've been talked about, garnered attention, and been in the conversation the next year. As silly as that sounds, I think the draft is often impacted by such foolishness.
I agree Dale.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
I can't find anything on him saying steal of the draft, but if you go back and read our reactions to the pick initially its pretty funny.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ection&page=22

Apparently some guys were saying he was guna be real good (Dilfer and Mayock).

One post from there:

ESPN guys on T.J. Yates:

Quote:
Mel Kiper: Played only 1 year of HS football. Good first year, then broken ankle, ok JR year, had to win the job last year. Missed Greg Little but improved leaps and bounds. Good job spreading the field. Pocket awarness 10x better thn Gabbert. Arm strenght average.

Trent Dilfer: Can spit the ball out. Is a sleeper starter. Toughest kid at QB outside of Locker.
Old 12-10-2011   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

In the interest of full disclosure, you're forgetting that attempt to Foster that would have been pick-sixed if not for Dunta's holding penalty. That was, by far, his worse throw of the day.

What I liked about that mis-play is the kid didn't get shell-shocked by it. the very next play he threw deep middle to J.Jones. Two plays later he hit KW for a first down to keep the drive going that produced the winning score.

Like Thorn pointed out, we only have a little data on the kid. But so far, so good.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not saying Yates can throw the ball as hard a Favre, but in the link provided by Texanfan with Helmet hair's quote that Yates' arm is average.

That scares me being JJ had to turn up the Juggs machine

what kind of arm strength does THE Matt's have? below average?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read