Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2011   #1
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Maybe a little to early too look to FA next season but

We have a need at WR, preferably someone with speed who can stretch the field. The Texans should probably draft one in the first few rounds. But being that we have a window at a title run and you never know how easy will it be to keep guys two seasons from now, should we go after a WR in FA? There are few good names out there that would definitely make us even sicker on offense. Desean Jackson comes to mind but he is obviously looking for a huge pay day and has demonstrated Dunta Robison like attitude this season.

Other possible free agents are Welker, Bowe, V Jackson (attitude issues), Steve Johnson, Colston, Brandon Lloyd, Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon. Some of these guys might be franchised and I think the younger ones probably want big pay days.

One guy who stands out to me that won't be able to get a pay day or be franchised or want to stay with his team because of the possible QB situation is Reggie Wayne. He is 33, but I still think he has great hands and is a superb route runner with a little burst for the deep ball. If he wants to go to a winner and not be too expensive. I think he would be a great addition for possible one or two year window for a title. Him and AJ together would be tough for any defense if they have to respect the run.

Any thoughts?
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #2
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Maybe a little to early to look to FA next season but

We won't have cap room. Drafting one or two in this upcoming, wide-receiver heavy draft is the best option.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
One guy who stands out to me that won't be able to get a pay day or be franchised or want to stay with his team because of the possible QB situation is Reggie Wayne. He is 33, but I still think he has great hands and is a superb route runner with a little burst for the deep ball. If he wants to go to a winner and not be too expensive. I think he would be a great addition for possible one or two year window for a title. Him and AJ together would be tough for any defense if they have to respect the run.

Any thoughts?
I think Wayne is a guy you go after when you've got a team that is missing that one piece.

I don't think we're that team. I'd like to go after a guy like Garcon, Stevie Johnson, but still look to the draft & get someone with more upside.

I am more interested in what we're going to do in the draft. Now that we have a defensive guru, I think we can afford a high pick on skilled player like a WR. Or a big nasty like OG, or even a Aaron Rogers, Ben Rothlisberger, Jay Cutler type of QB. Mid to late 1st rounder with potential.
Old 12-09-2011   #4
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Thing that scares me about Wayne is that Payton was throwing to him. Is he that good or did Payton make him good? We see how the Colts are without Payton...the whole team sucks...haha

Didn't realize Colston was going to be a free agent. Yet again, is he a product of a good QB or good. Guess we'll never know until he's away from Brees.

I have to admit I haven't had a chance to watch much college ball. Are there any worth while receivers in the draft that may make it to our position? (Since for once we'll be picking late in the first round )
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #5
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton or not that guy makes some sick catches. Remember the first game of the year his touchdown? I personally think he mailed it in to avoid injury once he realized the qb situation was as bad as possible.

I do think we are very close to being one piece away, a solid WR2 who can beat single coverage over the top, plus a few more players for depth purposes at nose and ILb on defense which we can get in the draft and I think we are there. The only thing I think that separates our offense from the Saints, Packers etc is a lack of a more capable deep threat at WR other than DRE. If you think about it if we can force a team to respect us deep we will be nearly unstoppable running the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
Thing that scares me about Wayne is that Payton was throwing to him. Is he that good or did Payton make him good? We see how the Colts are without Payton...the whole team sucks...haha

Didn't realize Colston was going to be a free agent. Yet again, is he a product of a good QB or good. Guess we'll never know until he's away from Brees.

I have to admit I haven't had a chance to watch much college ball. Are there any worth while receivers in the draft that may make it to our position? (Since for once we'll be picking late in the first round )
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #6
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
If you think about it if we can force a team to respect us deep we will be nearly unstoppable running the ball.
I agree, can you imagine the amount of yards that could be put on the ground. We're good (most of the time) even when the other team KNOWS we're going to run...haha
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Wayne is a beast. Manning or no manning.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
We won't have cap room. Drafting one or two in this upcoming, wide-receiver heavy draft is the best option.
Lots of folks said the same thing this past off season. Cap room smap room.

Of course you can't go crazy, but smith should be able to get us in a good cap situation to sign or at least court one decent or good free agent.

Personally If we could get a reggie Wayne or Vincent Jackson id trade whatever picks I needed to in order to trade up and take one of the top corners coming out and set this defense on fire. Jjo Kareem and a young extremely talented corner would almost be as good as Woodson, Williams and shields.

Maybe Brandon Harris is that guy though, I dunno. But three really good corners is what I really want. Just a personal preference.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like for us to go after Meachem (NO) or Lloyd (STL) if they aren't trying to break the bank.

I also think that guys like Pierre Garcon or Anthony Gonzalez (Indy - I also like taking weapons away from division foes) or Harry Douglas (ATL - he looks like a good possession guy with decent speed) would be good additions and maybe push J.J. for his #3 WR job. I doubt that either of these guys would wreck our salary cap situation.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I would like for us to go after Meachem (NO) or Lloyd (STL) if they aren't trying to break the bank.

I also think that guys like Pierre Garcon or Anthony Gonzalez (Indy - I also like taking weapons away from division foes) or Harry Douglas (ATL - he looks like a good possession guy with decent speed) would be good additions and maybe push J.J. for his #3 WR job. I doubt that either of these guys would wreck our salary cap situation.
Lloyd & Wayne are too old imo... if we're looking to make a run the next two or three years (which I guess should be our goal) then I can see adding them.

Much rather have Vincent Jackson if at all possible, then we can look at a decade of relevance.

Meachum?? he's been outplayed by Lance Moore every year since he was drafted in the 1st round. I don't see how anyone (not you in particular) can hate on Jacoby but want to bring Meachum in.

I do like Garcon, Gonzales, & Douglass.

Old 12-10-2011   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
If we let Mario walk, we will have some room.

If we re-sign Mario to a long term deal, we will have some wiggle room.

If we franchise Mario, we will be up against the cap with absolutely no room to do anything.

Beyond the obvious top tier guys, this list has a number of players the Texans could improve their team with:

Early Doucet (ARZ)
Harry Douglas (ATL)
Eric Weems (ATL)
Roscoe Parrish (BUF)
Legedu Naanee (CAR)
Earl Bennett (CHI)
Andre Caldwell (CIN)
Jerome Simpson (CIN)
Eddie Royal (DEN)
Pierre Garcon (IND)
Jerheme Urban (KC)
Bernard Berrian (MIN)
Domenik Hixon (NYG)
Devin Thomas (NYG)
Plaxico Burress (NYJ)
Chaz Schilens (OAK)
Steve Smith (PHI)
Braylon Edwards (SF)
Ted Ginn (SF)
Josh Morgan (SF)
Donnie Avery (TEN)
Old 12-10-2011   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Given our normal history not too early, but given that we finally have winning the division and playoffs to monopolize our thoughts maybe too early.

Overall, there are still 4 weeks of football and at least one week of playoffs, but I don't know if there is a position where I think the Texans should be going hard and heavy over in free agency.
Old 12-10-2011   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56461 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Given our normal history not too early, but given that we finally have winning the division and playoffs to monopolize our thoughts maybe too early.

Overall, there are still 4 weeks of football and at least one week of playoffs, but I don't know if there is a position where I think the Texans should be going hard and heavy over in free agency.
Value and depth. It's a great place to be. In the draft and in free agency, the Texans now have the luxury to simply add depth and talent to a very good team, without needing to desperately fill holes.
Old 12-10-2011   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Wayne across from Andre is a dream. Greatest show on turf territory.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #15
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Reggie Wayne is a beast. Manning or no manning.
Exactly. Wayne makes at least one ridiculous 'there is no way he caught that's catch every time he plays us. That's not Manning. They let Harrison go for Wayne for a reason.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
They let Harrison go for Wayne for a reason.
Harrison retiring maybe?
Old 12-10-2011   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Lloyd & Wayne are too old imo... if we're looking to make a run the next two or three years (which I guess should be our goal) then I can see adding them.

Much rather have Vincent Jackson if at all possible, then we can look at a decade of relevance.

Meachum?? he's been outplayed by Lance Moore every year since he was drafted in the 1st round. I don't see how anyone (not you in particular) can hate on Jacoby but want to bring Meachum in.

I do like Garcon, Gonzales, & Douglass.
My personal pref would be the younger guys, Garcon, Gonzalez, and/or Douglass.

Vincent Jackson seems to have a little diva in him... didn't he hold out a for most of 2010? Then there was that suspension for drunk driving... As a player, I'd love to have him. I just don't think he's Uncle Bob's kinda guy.

And you hit the nail on the head concerning Lloyd and Wayne. They're short term (2-3 yr contracts) to keep our offense potent while we groom a couple of young draftees.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My personal pref would be the younger guys, Garcon, Gonzalez, and/or Douglass.
I like Douglass a lot, and I'd be more than okay with Garcon.

Anthony Gonzalez on the otherhand has played in a grand total of 10 games combined over the 2009 - 2011 seasons. Seven of those games have been this year, and he has zero catches to show for it. Even on the 2011 Colts, that's pretty bad.

The most value the Texans can hope to get out of Gonzalez is wasting space on another NFL roster/IR.
Old 12-11-2011   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 181073 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If we let Mario walk, we will have some room.

If we re-sign Mario to a long term deal, we will have some wiggle room.

If we franchise Mario, we will be up against the cap with absolutely no room to do anything.

Beyond the obvious top tier guys, this list has a number of players the Texans could improve their team with:

Early Doucet (ARZ)
Harry Douglas (ATL)
Eric Weems (ATL)
Roscoe Parrish (BUF)
Legedu Naanee (CAR)
Earl Bennett (CHI)
Andre Caldwell (CIN)
Jerome Simpson (CIN)
Eddie Royal (DEN)
Pierre Garcon (IND)
Jerheme Urban (KC)
Bernard Berrian (MIN)
Domenik Hixon (NYG)
Devin Thomas (NYG)
Plaxico Burress (NYJ)
Chaz Schilens (OAK)
Steve Smith (PHI)
Braylon Edwards (SF)
Ted Ginn (SF)
Josh Morgan (SF)
Donnie Avery (TEN)
Only guy's who intrigues me on that list are Burress & Douglas ....

Speaking of contracts , Foster will be due a new one along with MW. Its going to be hard to keep them both.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Only guy's who intrigues me on that list are Burress & Douglas ....

Speaking of contracts , Foster will be due a new one along with MW. Its going to be hard to keep them both.
Foster isn't going anywhere. He'll be a restricted FA. We can keep him simply be tendering him a 1 year deal for about $2.5 million. The Texans promised him a long term deal after this season, though, so they will likely work something out. Foster is making pennies compared to Mario, so he should be easier to deal with.

Mario made $8 million in salary this season (more in one game) than Foster will make all year, not to mention the $25 million signing bonus from his original deal. Players don't usually take severe pay cuts in their prime. So, I don't see how Mario will agree to a moderate deal. He's gotta be gone, I think.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read