Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-08-2011   #1
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Michael Irvin

I'm pretty sure I heard him say on the pre game show tonight before Browns vs Steelers that he'd give up his 3 Superbowls for an undefeated season. His reasoning was that people will honor you forever for that. Really?

Some athletes have such warped sense of what it is they're supposed to be achieving...
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Michael Irvin

Can you tell me who won the 1986 or 1999 super bowl within 5 seconds? Now, can you tell me the only team in history to go undefeated?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #3
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Can you tell me who won the 1986 or 1999 super bowl within 5 seconds? Now, can you tell me the only team in history to go undefeated?
No and yes. But I still disagree that an undefeated season is more of an accomplishment than multiple championships, regardless of how difficult and rare it is.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #4
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard him say on the pre game show tonight before Browns vs Steelers that he'd give up his 3 Superbowls for an undefeated season. His reasoning was that people will honor you forever for that. Really?

Some athletes have such warped sense of what it is they're supposed to be achieving...
Not the first time he's said it. I'm not sure whether it was during the Patriots 16-0 regular season or in '09 when the Colts were 14-0 going into the last two weeks of the season (and then laid down and died), but he's definitely said the same thing before.

Also, consider the fact that he's really just giving up rings 2 & 3 since by definition he's gonna get one for an undefeated season.

I definitely see his point. I don't know if I agree or not, but I completely understand what he's basing it on.
Old 12-08-2011   #5
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 39107 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well technically 86 was 1 away from an undefeated season so...
gg no re is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
Well technically 86 was 1 away from an undefeated season so...
I'm always confused by this.

When you're talking about the '86 Super Bowl, is it the Super Bowl that was played in '86 or the Super Bowl played for the '86 season?

Cause that could be either the '85 Bears or the '86 Giants. (And then '99 becomes either Warner's Rams beating the Traitors or Elway's final victory over the Falcons.)

Those were not the best two years to pick because those were some memorable teams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #7
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 147149 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Easy decision for me if I had it to make. Three Super Bowls...easy call. The personal satisfaction to be had from a Championship on multiple levels is far and away more important than an undefeated seaon. I can see both sides, but for me there would be no contest.
Old 12-09-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Irvin is an *****, why does anyone listen to what he has to say.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #9
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post

I want to say that he said the same thing when the Pats made their run and again when the Paytons pussed out and sat their staters. It's about ego. You know you'll get a Super Bowl winner every year but undefeated? That's only happened once. That's the bar that's been set, to be the first 16 win team to do that resets the bar. It's the pursuit of perfection. I have my opinion on Irvin but I totally get what he's saying.
Old 12-09-2011   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Agreed! Dude's ruining my favorite channel. He always has to try to be the focal point, by butting in, grabbing someone or just his loud dumbass laugh.
Old 12-09-2011   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just glad he said something else besides "And we all know Houston is winning that division because Peyton Manning isn't playing."
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 282262 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Ask the Patriots about how they feel about their perfect season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Pretty much. I mean this is Irvin we're talking about. They might as well have a 15 year old loud mouth with an ego on that panel on the NFL network. I'm still amazed that Irvin still has held a tv job after all of these years. The NFL network obviously doesn't consider character to much when they hire considering that they have Deion and Irvin on the same panel. I'm sure that Chad Johnson will be working there when he retires.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

He's right. These guys practice for perfection & to actually have something that symbolizes that is priceless.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

3 SB's trumps a perfect season any day of the week. That's a dynasty in NFL terms as far as greatness goes. A perfect season is one great team. No one considers that Dolphins team the best team of all time. When people talk about the all time great franchises and teams they think of the Niners in the 80's and 90's, the Cowboys of the 90's, the Steelers of the 70's, and the Pats of last decade. Why is that?? Because they won multiple SB's and sustained long term greatness.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I bet his comments were about balance. Not much to talk about when everyone agrees.

I doubt Michael Irvin will give away any of his rings for anything.
Old 12-09-2011   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's because everyone knows that because only one team has done it. So you would give up 3 superbowls to be the second team to have a perfect season?

Everyone remembers Irvin has 3 rings also. And Broadway Joe made "the promise" and got one. And Montana has 4 rings. And so on, and so on. Recalling a specific year's champion is not as easy. Out of how many people that know it was the Dolphins you are referring to, how many know which year that happened?

Give me the championships any day of the week.
Old 12-09-2011   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Easy decision for me if I had it to make. Three Super Bowls...easy call. The personal satisfaction to be had from a Championship on multiple levels is far and away more important than an undefeated seaon. I can see both sides, but for me there would be no contest.
QFT

Give me three seasons that end in championship trophies over one perfect season any day of the week. It's a no brainer for me.

Although, like you, I understand the point that Irvin is making here. The '72 Dolphins have been immortalized ad nauseum, even though they are not technically the only NFL team to ever have a perfect season.

1934 Chicago Bears: 13-0

1942 Chicago Bears: 11-0
Old 12-09-2011   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
That's because everyone knows that because only one team has done it. So you would give up 3 superbowls to be the second team to have a perfect season?

Everyone remembers Irvin has 3 rings also. And Broadway Joe made "the promise" and got one. And Montana has 4 rings. And so on, and so on. Recalling a specific year's champion is not as easy. Out of how many people that know it was the Dolphins you are referring to, how many know which year that happened?

Give me the championships any day of the week.
Can anyone name one receiver from that undefeated team?

I know I can't.
Old 12-09-2011   #20
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Can anyone name one receiver from that undefeated team?

I know I can't.
Paul Warfield?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read