Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2011   #1
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 14 Is The Magic Number?

Quote:
The Texans have only allowed an opposing team to score more than 14 points three times this season. In Week 3 they gave up 40 points to the Saints, in Week 5 they gave up 25 points to the Raiders and in Week 6 they gave up 29 points to the Ravens. The Texans lost all three of those games. The most they've given up other than those three games was in Week 8 when they gave up 14 to the Jaguars.
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/12/7...than-14-points

With all this talk about our QB situation in the media, I think this tidbit is pretty significant. Up to this point, keeping our opponents below 14 has been the deciding factor for us.

Is it realistic of us to keep expecting this to fall in our favor, or will the offense have to kick it to another gear somewhere down the line?
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #2
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 14 Is The Magic Number?

Actually, I read it in that we need to keep them under 25. Any game where they score 25 or more, we've lost.

They scored 9 against SF, 17 and 7 vs Pitt, 24 vs Baltimore, all top 5 defenses and all losses. The only top 5 Defense they beat was Jacksonville and we all know how good that O is
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #3
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Last year we had to score at least 35 to win, my how the tables have turned.
Old 12-08-2011   #4
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Last year we had to score at least 35 to win, my how the tables have turned.
Last year's offense and this year's defense would make for one really scary team.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #5
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1330 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
Last year's offense and this year's defense would make for one really scary team.
Yeah, it will be the 2012 Houston Texans
Old 12-08-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Yeah, it will be the 2012 Houston Texans
Including the next draft selections. One more great draft? Whoee!
Old 12-08-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

With all this talk about our QB situation in the media, I think this tidbit is pretty significant. Up to this point, keeping our opponents below 14 has been the deciding factor for us.

Is it realistic of us to keep expecting this to fall in our favor, or will the offense have to kick it to another gear somewhere down the line?
In all three of those games our inability to run the ball led to our inability to stay on the field & keep the other offense off the field.

In all our wins, our ability to move the chains led to points & a so good it's not even funny defense that stymied opposing offenses.

I love our defense, but we will not win a low scoring game 10-3, 10-7, 13-6, if our offense can't stay on the field.

We're not built that way.
Old 12-08-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Including the next draft selections. One more great draft? Whoee!
Can you imagine next years draft? It's gonna be wide open. We can take the top whatever position at 32. I hope it's a wr.
As far as score goes, the Texans are undefeated when leading after 4 quarters, regardless of how many points the opponents scored.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Can you imagine next years draft? It's gonna be wide open. We can take the top whatever position at 32. I hope it's a wr.
As far as score goes, the Texans are undefeated when leading after 4 quarters, regardless of how many points the opponents scored.
Yep, in my mock same player #32 as I picked #27. We should go 13-3 and what kind of expectations would that lead to?
Old 12-08-2011   #10
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

It's interesting, but these are all losses and with the exception of Pittsburgh, they are the only decent teams we've played. I think the remaining 4 games are going to be a lot more challenging than many believe. This road game will be telling, and I don't think that the defense and running game can save us every week, especially not in the playoffs. But that's a few weeks away.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222469 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75 View Post
It's interesting, but these are all losses and with the exception of Pittsburgh, they are the only decent teams we've played. I think the remaining 4 games are going to be a lot more challenging than many believe.
We've beaten the Steelers, the Titans, and the Falcons. All three are teams with winning records and playoff aspirations. If we beat the Bengals, that will be 4.

EVERY game in the NFL is a challenging game until it's actually won. The Panthers have a great talent in Newton who can score some points but they've got a bad defense that gives up a lot of points. They could beat us.

We play the Colts and by that point we'll probably have our playoff berth clenched. Orlovsky put up some surprising numbers against the Patriots and almost brought them back. If we're going to have a let-down, it's against the Colts.

And the Titans? We embarrassed the hell out of them in that last game. They're going to want some revenge and CJ2K finally seems to have gotten into game shape. They're a good team (as much as it hurts me to say it.)

None of those games are going to be easy and the Bengals are going to be the hardest of the four.

We should win all those games, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #12
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

but wait guys... "the inevitable texans late season collapse is coming up"...

lol i love fans of other teams.. same stuff every week...
Old 12-08-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB75 View Post
It's interesting, but these are all losses and with the exception of Pittsburgh, they are the only decent teams we've played. I think the remaining 4 games are going to be a lot more challenging than many believe. This road game will be telling, and I don't think that the defense and running game can save us every week, especially not in the playoffs. But that's a few weeks away.
The next four games got more challenging the minute Leinart replaced Schaub, and even more still since TJ took his first snap for our team.

We're optimistic, but we haven't lost sight of reality.
Old 12-08-2011   #14
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 82763 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

there will come a game when the offense has to score more than 25 points to win, thats why we need a healthy A.J, and a confident Yates.
Old 12-08-2011   #15
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Well one thing that they forget to mention is that because we have a huge running game that eats up the clock much more than our old offense did through passing, that games are bound to be lower scoring games. I have seen us have plenty of 8 minute drives or longer this season, so opposing offenses have less time to score.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

When they get to the playoffs and have to face the more potent offenses , they'll likely have to put up more points .... with the rules so slanted twards the offenses , teams with really good one's are hard as hell to stop. You just have to hope to stop them often enough or create enough turnovers giving your own offense more possesions ....

Then again , if teams cant stop the Texans run game ..... the number of possessions in a game is reduced ..... limiting the scoring chances for other teams. Only Pittsburgh and Baltimore , out of the playoff contenders in the AFC have a rush defense worth a damn .... and neither of their offenses scare me.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 85968 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

OK but we could have given up 40 points to the Titans and still won.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
OK but we could have given up 40 points to the Titans and still won.
We won't be seeing Tennessee in the play-offs.
Old 12-09-2011   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

#13 is the magical number.
Old 12-09-2011   #20
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling the 1st ever Texan playoff game in Houston will be against Pittsburgh. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself.
bckey is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read