Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2011   #1
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This article pissed me off...

Quote:
AFTER LONG, HARD THOUGHT, YOU ARE DISMISSED: Jets, Houston, San Francisco, New Orleans.

As a Jets fan, this pains me, but the Jets are a 'so far' team. As in, with the talent they have, even if they put it all together they can only go so far. This team is not as good as they were a year ago, which in retrospect was probably the year they had the best shot at getting to the Super Bowl. Mark Sanchez only is going to slay so many dragons before a better team ends the Jets' season. The Texans and 49ers both fall into the same category of not being able to score enough when it really counts. Can they play hellacious defense and run the football? You bet. Can they both get a bye and win their first playoff game? Absolutely. But can they outscore teams on the road in the conference title games when they'll have to? If Sanchez can't do it, there's no way T.J. Yates is going to. Ditto Alex Smith. Remember, you need an elite quarterback to win the Super Bowl now. The era of the just-don't-mess-up-the-rest-of-the-great-team-we-have-here quarterback is long over.
Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

The whole piece is here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #2
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This article pissed me off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

They wrote this article to get a reaction out of you and anyway it's just one mans opinion.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy is a Jets fan.

So let me guess...he probably thinks the Ravens and the Patriots--the two teams the Jets always have a big battle with--are better than these outsider teams that are thousands of miles away from his East Coast bias?

That's my guess. Because he isn't being objective.

The Super Bowl is going to be won by one of the following teams:

1. Patriots

2. Ravens

3. Steelers

4. Texans

or

5. 49ers

6. Saints

7. Packers

IMO, there are SEVEN very solid teams who are in the running. In fact, all seven of these teams are pretty comparable when you look at them...with maybe the Saints and the Packers being the deadliest out of the bunch.

I think the Patriots' defense is suspect, but their offense can overcome that. The Ravens' defense is one of the best, as is the 49ers, in terms of playing consistently good. Then you've got OUR defense to factor into the equation.

Then there's the pesky Steelers who didn't get the memo in week 2 or 3 that they were supposed to lay down and quit.

The writer is hilarious. He should try standup comedy. The Texans, Saints, and 49ers absolutely make the list of likely SB winners.
Old 12-08-2011   #4
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

The author placed us in the same category as the Saints and the 49ers, that's good company to be around. Perhaps if we had our entire full team intact, we'd get some consideration with the upper echelon.

And if I recall correctly, the Packers weren't expected to do much once the post-season arrived, so take it with a grain of salt.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #5
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

To compare TJ Yates to Mark Sanchez and the Texans to the Jets is utterly absurd because one has an unreal OL, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, and Owen Daniels and the other.... well.... doesn't.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #6
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't get why people get so worked up about what some people outside the organization say about the Texans. If he feels that way then more power to him. There are plenty of examples of teams not lighting up the scoreboard who have gone on to advance far in the playoffs. I'd get more pleasure in seeing the Texans prove people wrong like they did last week when no one said we would win than having everyone riding our jocks and saying "I told you so". Shock the world baby!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
Comparing TJ to Sanchez?

I don't like those statements either. But, for a neutral analysis, they probably are not off the wall. We are all hopeful that TJ is showing us only a fraction of what he can accomplish when needed. We've generated 20 and 17 points in the last 2 games. Our losses........40-33, 25-20, 29-10 shows us what can happen when the D falls down a bit and we can't generate enough to make up for it.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2011   #8
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
To compare TJ Yates to Mark Sanchez and the Texans to the Jets is utterly absurd because one has an unreal OL, Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Ben Tate, and Owen Daniels and the other.... well.... doesn't.
Not to mention one team has a QB guru as a head coach and the other... well... doesn't.
Old 12-08-2011   #9
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you compare Yates to anyone right now? The guy has only had one start and is basically an unknown. I think you pretty much know what you are getting out of Sanchez.

Honestly, if I were an outsider I would be writing the Texans off too as a serious contender. Think about it. What if the Packers, Saints or any other team were all of a sudden down to a 3rd string unknown? As an outsider wouldn't you just automatically write that team off as a serious long term threat? In the back of your mind you would be thinking 3rd string rookie, they're out of the running, next.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Opinions are like [BEEP] yada yada yada and they all stink.

'eh, like mentioned above, it's one dude's take, but he doesn't play the sport and his opinion of things is no greater than the various opinions we see in this forum.

Besides, it's friggin' Jets fan. Who really cares what Jets fan thinks (besides ThaJokaa)? Not I.
Old 12-08-2011   #11
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...you need an elite quarterback to win the Super Bowl now.
When did Flacco become an elite QB?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #12
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't most of us always say we'd rather fly under the radar than be considered a contender?

I love this article. It tells me one thing:

We got'em right where we want'em
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's been said once, it's been said 1,000,000 times. Until the Texans actually shut these people, they're going to be skeptical.
Old 12-08-2011   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub were still under center I would be pissed at this article. With an unproven QB we hope can meld with a solid team I can understand the article. Schaub can sling it. Ask Baltimore. TJ hopefully can but we don't know. Of course this yahoo doesn't know he can't either.
Old 12-08-2011   #15
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 13325 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Did you honestly expect a Houston sports team to get respect because they've won a few games? Never going to happen, even if we win the SB they'll find a way to throw an asterisk on it. Eff em, I say - what do I care what some hired geek thinks about our chances?
Old 12-08-2011   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

In all fairness, the author does have a point that Mark Sanchez plays QB like a 5th round rookie.

Old 12-08-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

He could be right but he is not.
Old 12-08-2011   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375285 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
In all fairness, the author does have a point that Mark Sanchez plays QB like a 5th round rookie.

lol! That's a great way to look at it!
Old 12-08-2011   #19
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Haters gonna hate... What makes Baltimore better than Houston? Is it because Yates is unproven? Flacco has looked awful at times this year. That Baltimore offense had difficulty getting a first down against Jville. What makes people think they won't struggle once they get into the playoffs? Pittsburgh is a great team, but Houston has already beaten them once and if they face-off in the playoffs that game is likely going to be played in Houston, not on the road. New England? Yes, they have Brady but their defense has been awful this year. That game could be a shootout but who says the defense can't hold Brady to 20 points?

And what makes the author think Houston can't score points when it matters? Did that nineteen play, ten minute drive that resulted in the game winning drive not matter? And why compare Yates to Sanchez? One has proven to be nothing special, while the other is unproven. You might as well compare Dalton, Newton and all the other rookie QB's to Sanchez. That seems like a pathetic job of comparing QB's to me.

There are seven legit contenders to win the super bowl right now. Green Bay, San Francisco, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Houston, New Orleans & New England.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #20
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 46887 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy is dumb. The Jets wish they had Houston's running game. Shonn Greene and an over the hill LT don't compare to Arian, Tate, and Ward. Not even close.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read