Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2011   #21
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 966 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade head coach 2012?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
NO...much like Dom Capers he's a GREAT DC, but not a head coach.
I hope the media keeps pushing this issue too. If ESPN ignores him as a head coaching candidate then it will be better for us. If they promote him as a guy that needs another shot, then we could be screwed.
jtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Why meddle with what isn't broken?
Why do most cars come with a spare tire if they have 4 "unbroken" ones?
Old 12-07-2011   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 279120 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to say it, but I could not blame Wade if he accepted a head coaching offer.

He seems content to be a DC in Houston, but what else is he going to say?
Old 12-07-2011   #24
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Id be very surprised if Wade got and/or took another HC job. Look how long it took him before he got the Cowboy job, and that, arguably, was his worst performance as a head coach.

The man can coach defense though!

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #25
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why do most cars come with a spare tire if they have 4 "unbroken" ones?
Why does the spare stay in the trunk until one of the four "unbroken" ones becomes "broken"?
Old 12-07-2011   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, I hope that Wade just wants to set up a Dynasty right here. As a DC.

We've got a damn near perfect setup with a dual HC situation.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #27
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
At this point, I hope that Wade just wants to set up a Dynasty right here. As a DC.

We've got a damn near perfect setup with a dual HC situation.
Plus Wade gets paid very well, and he is getting the credit he deserves. Its not like all his hard work and talent is going unnoticed. I would have to think he is pretty happy here at the moment.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2011   #28
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Given the family and personal ties to Houston, and the face to face lobbying that Bum did before he got the job, I think there's a decent possibility Wade would stay around for longer than a year just because he would view it as the right thing to do - even if he has other opportunities.

I wouldn't say this about very many NFL coaches, but I'll say it about Wade.
Old 12-07-2011   #29
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

¿Qué demonios estás tratando de hacer de chico malo. Usted está siendo la tormenta en el desfile.
Old 12-07-2011   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Why does the spare stay in the trunk until one of the four "unbroken" ones becomes "broken"?
Thanks for helping my cause. It is a plan. Do we have one? Are there other defensive candidates who could come in and take over the reins if we lost Wade? Just thinking.
Old 12-07-2011   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for helping my cause. It is a plan. Do we have one? Are there other defensive candidates who could come in and take over the rfeins if we lost Wade? Just thinking.
I'm sure the Texans appreciate that - carry on!
Old 12-07-2011   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Plus Wade gets paid very well, and he is getting the credit he deserves. Its not like all his hard work and talent is going unnoticed. I would have to think he is pretty happy here at the moment.
Sure you are not the President of the University of Houston talking about Coach Sumlin? Meanwhile A&M is not allowing ink to dry on a contract offer.
Old 12-07-2011   #33
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh, Wade wasn't even as bad of a head coach as he was blamed for being after seeing what is going on with the Cowboys this season. Just a bunch of players who aren't up to the challenge of winning (besides a few) and a bunch of coaches who don't really know what their doing and then add an owner who thinks he knows more about football than he actually does into the mix and you get the Cowboys.

But still I don't think Wade wants to be a head coach here and if Kubiak ends up getting fired I hope we realize this is a good setup we have and just give Wade the HC job to run the defense while we bring in an offensive minded coordinator to run the Offense. But.. don't know many people better than Kubiak (especially after seeing how well TJ is progressing) are on the market for that kind of job.

Anyways

In summary, bad thread.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #34
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

wade is going to stick with what hes good at and that coaching the defense..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"It's perception, sometimes, more than reality," Phillips said. "I've won a lot of games in this league and I have a really high winning percentage. I don't see me being a head coach again, because of the perception overall.
Quote:
"Houston is special to me," Phillips said. "My first NFL coaching job was here. At that time, when we were in the playoffs every year and going to the AFC championship. I thought I was a great coach and that we'd be here the whole time. It didn't work out that way. I went 360 [degrees] and came back and ended right where I wanted to be. And that's here."
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...turns-houston/

I don't see him going anywhere any time soon
Old 12-07-2011   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
¿Qué demonios estás tratando de hacer de chico malo. Usted está siendo la tormenta en el desfile.
Disrupted your poor little life in the Willy Wonka factory, eh?
Here is a balloon just to make it all better.

Old 12-07-2011   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
I seem to recall a mention when the Texans first acquired him that he wasn't looking to be HC and was fine with DC. May be mis-remembering though.
OzzO, this is probably what you are referring to.

Texans Assistant Wade Phillips Doesn't Expect To Be A Head Coach Again

01-10-2011 , 09:49 PM

Quote:
Wade Phillips doesn't expect to be a head coach again, and that's fine. He's happy to finally be working close to where he grew up. Phillips reported to work Monday for his first day as the Houston Texans' defensive coordinator, meeting with coach Gary Kubiak to talk about staff vacancies. Phillips was hired last week, two days after Kubiak fired defensive coordinator Frank Bush, secondary coach David Gibbs, linebackers coach Johnny Holland and assistant linebackers coach Robert Saleh. Phillips, 63, was fired as the head coach in Dallas after the Cowboys started 1-7 and his career record is 83-64, but Phillips isn't anticipating any more head-coaching offers coming his way. "It's perception, sometimes, more than reality," Phillips said. "I've won a lot of games in this league and I have a really high winning percentage. I don't see me being a head coach again, because of the perception overall. "When you get fired, it's usually, 'Hey, he was fired because he can't win,'" Phillips said. "It wasn't 'cause I couldn't win. I couldn't win enough."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #38
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade's head coaching days are over.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #39
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade is 64, or thereabouts. I would think (read hope) that might be a detriment to his being hired elsewhere as a head coach.
Old 12-07-2011   #40
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 168714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Everything is perfect! Rainbows everywhere, but let's not forget that rain caused the rainbows. It is amazing how some of you get stuck in "the moment" good or bad and do no planning ahead. Hope you don't live your lives that way? Let me eat cake now, I'll worry about flatulance later.

Come on, no one thinks it's a possibility let alone a probability? We see it going on right now on a local college level.
The short answer is "no".

Hou-Tex and CnnnD provided quotes from Buddha Wade's own mouth. That's good enough for me.

I just hope if we make it to the Super Bowl, he doesn't pull a Cowher and hang 'em up shortly thereafter. With him being 64, going on 65, I would think that's the more likely scenario - him riding off into the sunset with an AFC crown or (dare I say) a Super Bowl ring to his credit. But even so, I think he'd let Uncle Bob know what he was thinking in plenty of time for us to hunt up his successor.

...and what does cake have to do with flatulence?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read