Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Receiver Signing?

gary

Hall of Fame
I am not sure who is avaliable to sign. Do you think the Texans will sign anyone this week with AJ being day to day? Thanks.

I don't think they'll sign anybody. In a situation like this when you have a rookie QB, veteran receivers can be of big help. I'm looking for Derrick Mason and Bryant Johnson to play more. Jacoby Jones has shown himself to be unreliable, so guys like Mason, Johnson, and Walter have to step up. We also have OD and Dressen and they are going to be crucial for T.J. Yates' success.

i think Mason can be a big factor if the coaches actually put him in on more than one passing play a game. He still has some left in the tank and has pretty good speed, hands and size. Why sign him if your not going to use him ?

i think Mason can be a big factor if the coaches actually put him in on more than one passing play a game. He still has some left in the tank and has pretty good speed, hands and size. Why sign him if your not going to use him ?

Maybe the jets let him go for more reasons than we believed or understood?

Maybe the jets let him go for more reasons than we believed or understood?

i dunno when i do see him in running routes, he has looked good and pretty quick, and on the (4) balls he has caught for us he has looked good. i think they just put to much faith into Walter and Jones. We run the ball more effectively when we spread the field, we need to continue to run 3/4 WR sets to keep the Defense honest.

i dunno when i do see him in running routes, he has looked good and pretty quick, and on the (4) balls he has caught for us he has looked good. i think they just put to much faith into Walter and Jones. We run the ball more effectively when we spread the field, we need to continue to run 3/4 WR sets to keep the Defense honest.

I think they were all for first downs.

I would think Casey should get some looks. Seems so long ago but it was only early in the season, 3rd game against New Orleans he caught something like 5 catches for 126 yards & a TD is he close to 100% or are Texans saving him as a secret weapon?

Terrell Owens is monitoring this thread...

terrell-owens.jpg

Probably don't want to give up the 7th round pick.

I have said before Mason should be thrown to more often as a receiver.

I've been dying to see Mason be used more. But I thing with everything that's happening on the injury front this year, we get to really see how much of a system this offense really is.

A player like Mason who is a veteran and probably runs the second best routes on the team can't find playing time in comparison to a player like Jones who has been a part of this system for awhile.

And then you have T.J. Yates. His familiarity with the system back at his UNC days gives him an edge. Heck, that allowed him to pick up the offense quicker than any Texan QB, even Schaub. Any other team would have placed a free agent vet out there instead.

They were starting to get him involved in the game more and then the QB injuries started. Once they gain more confidence in TJ they will start to spread the field more and then he will be in the game more. Until then, they will go with the more conservative groupings of WR with more TEs and the more physical type WRs on the field.

I would think Casey should get some looks. Seems so long ago but it was only early in the season, 3rd game against New Orleans he caught something like 5 catches for 126 yards & a TD is he close to 100% or are Texans saving him as a secret weapon?

I think they are going to keep Casey back blocking. He can pass block and I imagine he is better served keeping TJ healthy than sending him out as another receiver.

I don't think they'll sign anybody. In a situation like this when you have a rookie QB, veteran receivers can be of big help. I'm looking for Derrick Mason and Bryant Johnson to play more. Jacoby Jones has shown himself to be unreliable, so guys like Mason, Johnson, and Walter have to step up. We also have OD and Dressen and they are going to be crucial for T.J. Yates' success.

This - End Thread. :fingergun:

Please elaborate. You mean if they do not play him much, they can forfeit the pick they agreed to give in exchange for him?

we only give the jets our 7th round pick if he catches somewhere around 33 balls or so. i don't see it happening no matter how much we play him though.

look i know that my site brethren are to conservative to consider this signing but, I would consider bringing in T.O. for these reasons I am about to give for the remaining of the season. I know I might get roasted but my first reason is the guy is a physical beast and he will work his tail off that is the obvious, T.O. knows the west coast offense very well he played in the system with the 49ers & Eagles. The guy has been productive on every team where there was a decent QB he puts up the numbers and he can get open on any DB. He brings the size and speed similar to Andre Johnson so that would cause for teams not to double Andre in the playoffs and i know most people will say he is head case and all that and I get that but we have no other stable option that will cause teams to fear us with out Andre.

We might just see some trick plays called with Yates going out wide and OD playing quarterback.

The Texans should have signed Brandon Lloyd instead of old man Mason. The Rams got a heck of a deal when they got Lloyd for what amounts to a 5th round pick. Smith should have talked to more teams before getting Mason. Mason has done nothing for this team as of yet. Maybe with Andre hurt again he might actually get playing time and produce. Still say Lloyd was a much better deal.

The Texans should have signed Brandon Lloyd instead of old man Mason. The Rams got a heck of a deal when they got Lloyd for what amounts to a 5th round pick. Smith should have talked to more teams before getting Mason. Mason has done nothing for this team as of yet. Maybe with Andre hurt again he might actually get playing time and produce. Still say Lloyd was a much better deal.
Mason is a veteran leader on just about any team. Many times trades are made not just to be an All Pro because let's face it at thirty seven Mason is not going to be that but he should still get more chances than he has been IMHO. He might have just as well been brought in to be a good presence in the lockeroom too.

No worries after the season is over I can see the Texans drafting a WR in either the 1st or 2nd round in the upcoming NFL Draft. The injuries to Andre leave us naked every time he gets injured and thank god for the offensive line & running backs or we would be doomed. So the signing of Mason wasn't sexy because will probably will be cut at seasons end anyway.

Mason is a veteran leader on just about any team. Many times trades are made not just to be an All Pro because let's face it at thirty seven Mason is not going to be that but he should still get more chances than he has been IMHO. He might have just as well been brought in to be a good presence in the lockeroom too.

I said the same thing until some poster on here pointed out the obvious to me. The Texans really don't need him for that because they already have Andre.

I said the same thing until some poster on here pointed out the obvious to me. The Texans really don't need him for that because they already have Andre.
Yes, but he was out when the trade had been made.

BUt he is still on the sidelines at all the games, and at every practice.
Maybe they wanted a savy vet like Mason to be out there playing during the games either way due to the overall career Mason has had so far and the fact that they might not even give up a pick for him the trade was not bad at all IMHO. If they do end up trading the seventh rounder then I don't mind because that would mean that he helped the team get where they wanted to be this season or at least be a part of it.

Back