Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Receiver Signing?

I am not sure who is avaliable to sign. Do you think the Texans will sign anyone this week with AJ being day to day? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2011   #2
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Receiver Signing?

I don't think they'll sign anybody. In a situation like this when you have a rookie QB, veteran receivers can be of big help. I'm looking for Derrick Mason and Bryant Johnson to play more. Jacoby Jones has shown himself to be unreliable, so guys like Mason, Johnson, and Walter have to step up. We also have OD and Dressen and they are going to be crucial for T.J. Yates' success.
Old 12-05-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i think Mason can be a big factor if the coaches actually put him in on more than one passing play a game. He still has some left in the tank and has pretty good speed, hands and size. Why sign him if your not going to use him ?
Old 12-05-2011   #4
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 27795 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i think Mason can be a big factor if the coaches actually put him in on more than one passing play a game. He still has some left in the tank and has pretty good speed, hands and size. Why sign him if your not going to use him ?
Maybe the jets let him go for more reasons than we believed or understood?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #5
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Maybe the jets let him go for more reasons than we believed or understood?
i dunno when i do see him in running routes, he has looked good and pretty quick, and on the (4) balls he has caught for us he has looked good. i think they just put to much faith into Walter and Jones. We run the ball more effectively when we spread the field, we need to continue to run 3/4 WR sets to keep the Defense honest.
Old 12-05-2011   #6
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 53144 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dunno when i do see him in running routes, he has looked good and pretty quick, and on the (4) balls he has caught for us he has looked good. i think they just put to much faith into Walter and Jones. We run the ball more effectively when we spread the field, we need to continue to run 3/4 WR sets to keep the Defense honest.
I think they were all for first downs.
Old 12-05-2011   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would think Casey should get some looks. Seems so long ago but it was only early in the season, 3rd game against New Orleans he caught something like 5 catches for 126 yards & a TD is he close to 100% or are Texans saving him as a secret weapon?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2011   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I have said before Mason should be thrown to more often as a receiver.
Old 12-05-2011   #9
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Terrell Owens is monitoring this thread...

Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Probably don't want to give up the 7th round pick.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #11
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I have said before Mason should be thrown to more often as a receiver.
I've been dying to see Mason be used more. But I thing with everything that's happening on the injury front this year, we get to really see how much of a system this offense really is.

A player like Mason who is a veteran and probably runs the second best routes on the team can't find playing time in comparison to a player like Jones who has been a part of this system for awhile.

And then you have T.J. Yates. His familiarity with the system back at his UNC days gives him an edge. Heck, that allowed him to pick up the offense quicker than any Texan QB, even Schaub. Any other team would have placed a free agent vet out there instead.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

They were starting to get him involved in the game more and then the QB injuries started. Once they gain more confidence in TJ they will start to spread the field more and then he will be in the game more. Until then, they will go with the more conservative groupings of WR with more TEs and the more physical type WRs on the field.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #13
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20085 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Terrell Owens is monitoring this thread...

LOL

MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #14
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would think Casey should get some looks. Seems so long ago but it was only early in the season, 3rd game against New Orleans he caught something like 5 catches for 126 yards & a TD is he close to 100% or are Texans saving him as a secret weapon?
I think they are going to keep Casey back blocking. He can pass block and I imagine he is better served keeping TJ healthy than sending him out as another receiver.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I don't think they'll sign anybody. In a situation like this when you have a rookie QB, veteran receivers can be of big help. I'm looking for Derrick Mason and Bryant Johnson to play more. Jacoby Jones has shown himself to be unreliable, so guys like Mason, Johnson, and Walter have to step up. We also have OD and Dressen and they are going to be crucial for T.J. Yates' success.
This - End Thread.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #16
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
LOL! I was also thinking the same thing!
Old 12-06-2011   #17
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Please elaborate. You mean if they do not play him much, they can forfeit the pick they agreed to give in exchange for him?
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #18
awc713
Rookie

Rep Power: 247 awc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respectedawc713 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbbc833 View Post
Please elaborate. You mean if they do not play him much, they can forfeit the pick they agreed to give in exchange for him?
we only give the jets our 7th round pick if he catches somewhere around 33 balls or so. i don't see it happening no matter how much we play him though.
awc713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #19
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

look i know that my site brethren are to conservative to consider this signing but, I would consider bringing in T.O. for these reasons I am about to give for the remaining of the season. I know I might get roasted but my first reason is the guy is a physical beast and he will work his tail off that is the obvious, T.O. knows the west coast offense very well he played in the system with the 49ers & Eagles. The guy has been productive on every team where there was a decent QB he puts up the numbers and he can get open on any DB. He brings the size and speed similar to Andre Johnson so that would cause for teams not to double Andre in the playoffs and i know most people will say he is head case and all that and I get that but we have no other stable option that will cause teams to fear us with out Andre.
Old 12-06-2011   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

We might just see some trick plays called with Yates going out wide and OD playing quarterback.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read