Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-06-2011   #21
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob Costas Gives Respect to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I get why you'd think of him as pretentious.

But vitriolic?

Costas, by all accounts I've heard, is actually a very nice guy.

He may come off as a know-it-all because he damned near does.

He's always been one of my favorite broadcasters.
I say vitriolic because while his words aren't as blatantly abbrasive as Kornheiser's, he revels in the 'smarter than you' knocks on people. Like when he was talking about end zone dances being a selfish act (I still don't understand why people can't dance for doing something good when playing a GAME), and said something to the effect of 'funny, I didn't notice him do a my bad dance when he dropped the football.' Statements like that are why I can't stand the guy. It is a hateful comment disguised as 'poignant' commentary. Has Costas never enjoyed an aspect of his job so much that he got up and danced? I know I have, and no one was 'offended' by it either.

Guys like Costas try to make the game sound bigger and more important than it is, but at the end of the day it's just a game, and he isn't as insightful as he thinks he is.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #22
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Yeah, he meant on NBC but didn't specify it. We did Sunday night a few times before....remember getting dismantled at home by Seattle...........that was a Sunday night game if I remember right a few years ago.

Texans have been on every time slot possible for an NFL game once before (minus any post season spots of course)
I believe that home game was against the Green Bay Favres.
Old 12-06-2011   #23
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
He must have been referring to NBC's Sunday Night Football. We've been on Sunday Night when it was with ESPN.
yep. Hop in the Wayback Machine and 19-10 was a SNF game.
Old 12-06-2011   #24
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
C'mon Dread, no reason to hold back.
I AM known for my calm demeanor, just as my friend William is known for abstaining from alcohol and avoiding women of easy virtue.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #25
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I AM known for my calm demeanor, just as my friend William is known for abstaining from alcohol and avoiding women of easy virtue.
Gotcha.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #26
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Clearly referring to NBC Sunday night. The "big game" is the broadcast TV game, the "not quite as big" game is the ESPN game. The "it's Thursday, you don't really want to watch Conference USA again" game is on NFLN. The Texans have never been on the "big game". When the Texans were on Sunday night or Monday night was always ESPN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Don't like night games, Sunday, Monday or Thursday, and I don't like afternoon games on Sunday either. I would like all football games to start at noon Sunday. As to Bob Costas, can't stand him and I don't care what he thinks about the Texans, good or bad.
Well, of course you want all the games at noon. (Not that I'm implying you are old...) Got to get to Golden Corral at 4 PM for dinner!

Bad news for you. 10 of last year's 12 playoff teams were scheduled for at least 4 prime time games (except KC -3 and Seattle -2). They also averaged over 2 non-west 3 PM games. So unless they think you are a fluke (KC and Seattle) if your team makes the playoffs you should only have a maximum of 10 noon games (less if you are playing a West division).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!

Only night game I want is on FEB 5th, 2012!!!
I want the last three plays of the football season to be:
T.J. Yates run - loss of 1 yard.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #27
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28283 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
FVCK Bob Costas! I lost all respect for that little punk muff-hugga when the Rockets won their first title and he spent the entire series acting as if they didn't belong in the same arena as the mighty Knicks. He was noticibly crest fallen when they lost and did NOTHING to hide it. That vuggin' elf can kiss my natral blagg-azz.
I just wish we could find out what Dread-Head thinks about Bob Costas...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2011   #28
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Well, of course you want all the games at noon. (Not that I'm implying you are old...) Got to get to Golden Corral at 4 PM for dinner!
Those aren't old people at Golden Corral for the buffet, those are secret government experimental robots. Nobody on earth that is past 60 has enough of a functioning digestive system left to stomach that horseshit they call food at Golden Corral.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #29
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't wait til we get some Sunday night games. My guess is 3-4 prime time games next year.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #30
TheCD
All Pro

Quote:
Bad news for you. 10 of last year's 12 playoff teams were scheduled for at least 4 prime time games (except KC -3 and Seattle -2). They also averaged over 2 non-west 3 PM games. So unless they think you are a fluke (KC and Seattle) if your team makes the playoffs you should only have a maximum of 10 noon games (less if you are playing a West division).
So you're saying the only reason we haven't made the playoffs is because of the times our games have been scheduled?

Then it is an NFL conspiracy!
Old 12-07-2011   #31
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just wish we could find out what Dread-Head thinks about Bob Costas...
It's like finding out how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop... "the world may NEVER know!"
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #32
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Re: Bob Costas Gives Respect to Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
It has seemed that NBC has made us 'prove that we are worthy to be on the network, which is fine by me because I like good old fashioned noon games better anyways.

That being said, I can't stand Bob Costas. He is a pretentious, self-righteous windbag who thinks he knows more than everyone else. Every time I listen to his Sunday night halftime 'musings' I can't help but want to vomit from listening to his drivel. He reminds me of a more well spoken Tony Kornheiser, but definitely as clueless and every bit as vitriolic.
Agreed. I've disliked Costas ever since the Rockets beat the Knicks in the NBA finals and he had this look of "screw these guys" while he walked amongst the players on the floor after we won.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #33
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
He points out the fact that every team has been on Sunday Night Football except Texans. Says Texans will appear next, and possibly on the Superbowl. Heard on the radio this evening. Loads pretty slow.

http://www.red94.net/paying-respect-due/7698/
I thought the first game against the Cowboys was on Sunday Night football?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #34
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I thought the first game against the Cowboys was on Sunday Night football?
ESPN though. Not on regular television.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #35
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Agreed. I've disliked Costas ever since the Rockets beat the Knicks in the NBA finals and he had this look of "screw these guys" while he walked amongst the players on the floor after we won.
I think he was pissed because he didn't get to announce the commissioner, I think. If I remember correctly, he just stood there with a microphone waiting for the PA guy to stop talking, but he threw it straight to the commish.

I personally don't have a problems with Costas. He's knowledgeable and well spoken. If he comes across as and ass to some people because he acts like he knows it all, it's probably because he damn near does know it all.

I thought his Texans rant at halftime the other day was almost an apology that they haven't been on NBC's SNF yet.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read