Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ATL @ HOU refocused Profootball focus

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...exans-week-13/

Re-Focused: Falcons @ Texans, Week 13
December 5th, 2011 | Author: Sam Monson

Houston was rolling this season, then an injury to Matt Schaub threatened to derail their year completely. Matt Leinart didnít make it through his first game in Schaubís stead, meaning the Texans were down to T.J. Yates.

This game was going to go a long way towards telling Houston how much of a problem they have at quarterback going forward, and if this game means anything, they may just be ok.

The Falcons continue to underwhelm this season, appearing to have taken steps backwards from last season, rather than stepping closer to Green Bay. They now sit at 7-5 and find themselves in the thick of the NFC Wild Card race.

Atlanta: Three Performances of Note

Will Svitek comes down to earth

Up until this game Will Svitek had been a marked upgrade over Sam Baker at left tackle for the Falcons, but this game was a serious come down for the lineman. Svitek ended the contest with a -5.7 grade, surrendering two hits and a pressure, but also a sack and another pressure on plays that ended up nullified by penalties. As if his pass-protection wasnít bad enough, he also found himself losing out in the run game to multiple Texan defenders. Connor Barwin in particular got the better of the Falcon on several plays over the game, but it was Antonio Smith that beat him for a near immediate hit on the quarterback on first down late in the first half (1.34).

Abraham shows why he continues to be a matchup problem for an offense

John Abraham is one of the tougher guys to block in the NFL. He has days where he will terrorize an offense all game long and force them to re-adjust their game plan. On his 22 pass-rushes Abraham may have only earned a single sack, but he added a further five pressures and a batted pass to net himself a +7.0 grade. Abraham accounted for exactly half of the Falconsí total pressure in the game, one of the two batted passes they had, and did it from only 22 attempts at rushing the passer. He got the better of Duane Brown a couple of times, but he beat Eric Winston badly on several occasions, with the worst of them coming on inside moves after he had scared the Texans right tackle into opening up too quickly to the outside.

Julio not the savior yet

If there was ever a game for the Falcons to be proved right in aggressively chasing Julio Jones (-2.6) in the draft, this was the game, but unfortunately for them, Jones came down on the wrong side of every important ball sent his way. Matt Ryan threw an interception early in the game on a miscommunication between him and Jones that resulted in the ball going right to Jason Allen. Ryan expected Jones to break off his route and cross the face of Allen on a deep-in route, but Jones kept running deep. Of the 10 passes thrown at Jones he came down with just four of them, for a healthy 68 yards, but he dropped a pair of passes, including the last throw of the game in the end zone on a pass that would have tied the game and sent it to over-time with a successful extra point. These were the plays that Jones was supposed to make to improve the Falcons in 2011.

Houston: Three Performances of Note

Houston, we haveÖ.no problem

The numbers may not look fantastic. 12-of-25 for 188 yards and a touchdown donít exactly scream awesome play, but T.J. Yates (+3.0) showed poise and some impressive play all game long. He did get lucky with an interception that was returned for a touchdown nullified by penalties, but on that play he did have two of his three receiving options taken away by illegal holding by the defense. He was able to escape pressure at times, and showed some nice looking accuracy on a deep pass to Andre Johnson in the second quarter. Johnson had run a sloppy looking double move and failed to separate from his corner at all, but Yates dropped the ball in perfectly and Johnson was able to beat the defensive back physically to haul it in and hold onto the ball.

Mixed bag on the O-line

Houstonís offensive line has been one of the better lines in the NFL this season, and makes the job of a new quarterback much easier. Duane Brown (+2.7), Wade Smith (+3.3), and Chris Myers (+1.2) continued that trend with pretty good days at the office. Mike Brisiel (-0.2) would have had a pretty good game if he hadnít been flagged for three penalties, but Eric Winston at right tackle struggled to match his teammates. Winstonís -3.8 grade came almost entirely as a result of trying to deal with Abraham in the pass game. Abraham beat the big right tackle for three pressures and a sack, but the bigger problem was how quickly the pressure came when he did beat him, with all of those plays coming on near instant pressure where Winston was barely able to slow the speed-rusher down. Winston has been having a fine season so far, but this is a day heíll want to move on from.

Barwin making noise

Connor Barwin rushed the passer 53 times in this game, a huge amount and seven times more than any other Texan defender. It shows how impressive he was to be able to score a +4.2 grade overall and a +3.7 grade for his pass rush. He notched three hits on the quarterback, another pressure and a pair of batted passes as he proved to be a major disruptive force for the Atlanta passing attack. The Texans needed somebody to step up when they lost Mario Williams, and while they have seen production from several players, nobody has stood out more than Barwin.

Game Notes

- Jonathan Joseph was thrown at eight times, but allowed just a pair of receptions for 31 yards, both of them to Roddy White.

- The Falcons obviously felt that passing was the game plan for the Texans. Slot receiver Harry Douglas saw 50 snaps on offense.

- When blitzed Matt Ryan had a QB rating of just 26.7 in this game

PFF Game Ball

This came down to the battle of the two pass-rushers, one from each team, and Connor Barwin just edges it.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #2
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ATL @ HOU refocused Profootball focus

Good read !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

When blitzed Matt Ryan had a QB rating of just 26.7 in this game
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I was pissed at Winston throughout the game yesterday. I normally don't rag on him much, but I found myself yelling his name on more than one occasion. He struggles with speed, period. Duane used to as well, but has really improved a lot from that standpoint.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Abraham plays primarily over the LT? Maybe they knew Winston struggled with speed rushers and alternated with Edwards(who did nothing)?
Old 12-05-2011   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I was pissed at Winston throughout the game yesterday. I normally don't rag on him much, but I found myself yelling his name on more than one occasion. He struggles with speed, period. Duane used to as well, but has really improved a lot from that standpoint.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Abraham plays primarily over the LT? Maybe they knew Winston struggled with speed rushers and alternated with Edwards(who did nothing)?
You're correct. He typically plays RDE. He must have figured that if he ate Winston's lunch, he'd be gettin' some of those Hooter's wings he luuuuuuvs so much.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Abraham is a beast -- I'd love to have him.
Old 12-05-2011   #7
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Yeah, I was cussing Winston during and after the game as well. The crushing hit on Yates came on a Winston whiff on a speed rush. In pass-pro against a speed guy, he can be a liability.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read