Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-05-2011   #1
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Newton

If you haven't seen them,hunt out the Cam Newton highlights from this week. Impressive stuff, like Tebow with actual QB skills.
Old 12-05-2011   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Newton

Couldn't you flip this statement around and tell everyone to watch Tebow's highlights and say that it's like watching Cam Newton with actual "winning" skills?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Will worry about this after Cincy!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #4
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The previous draft is looking like a stellar QB class, with some really nice players producing already.

Ok there are a few who don't look quite so good but I can't remember as many starting rookie QB's in one season before.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Newton

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...rn=nfl-wp13306

Quote:
When Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton(notes) scored his third touchdown in Sunday's game, he made a beeline to the 16-year-old girl in the back of the end zone wearing a shirt that said "Mrs. Newton" on the back.

Katie Brown had spent the previous night designing the T-shirt and, with the help of some fans sitting around her, had attracted the attention of the rookie superstar earlier in the game. Newton acknowledged her with a smile and a laugh. Now, he was running over to give her the ball he had just carried across the goal line.

"It was the most amazing moment," Brown told the Associated Press. The New Port Richie, Fla., teenager had become a fan of Newton's while watching him play at Auburn and had asked her father to take her to the game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After telling her that he couldn't afford tickets, D.J. Brown surprised his daughter with four, front-row seats to the game.

"I thought he was going to do his Superman celebration like he normally does, but then all of sudden he started running over and pointed right at me," she said. "I was in shock. I thought, I must be in a dream."

She was quickly snapped out of it. That ball, you see, was used to score Newton's 13th rushing touchdown of the season, breaking the NFL record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback. The Carolina Panthers equipment staff knew that and had an inkling that the Pro Football Hall of Fame may want the piece of memorabilia. So it was left to assistant equipment manager Don Toner to make a trade.

"I just asked her real nice, 'Would you mind exchanging that ball — we kind of need it,'" Toner told the AP. "And she was real sweet about it. She didn't hesitate. She was so excited she was trembling. She was just giddy about what had just happened."

Toner had grabbed a kicking tee, a game ball and four hats for the exchange. He says the team will also send her something in the mail. We hope it's something signed by Newton.

Brown didn't mind making the exchange.

"I honestly believe Cam deserves to have that ball because it was his record and his achievement." she said. "He should have it."
Sorry, no good way to summarize.

I am glad this did not go south and that she was a good sport. But a kicking tee? Really? Really? Why not a gatorade bottle, lol?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #6
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Impressive stuff, like Tebow with actual QB skills.
More like Tebow without the wins. Panthers might win 5 games this year. Tebow has already done better than that.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #7
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
More like Tebow without the wins. Panthers might win 5 games this year. Tebow has already done better than that.
That is what I was going to say. I am rooting for Tebow just because so many people hate him so much, especially the VY jock munchers that have been annoying the heck out of me for the last 5 years.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2011   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't mean this thread as a Tebow vs. Newton thread.

I was just saying that Newton runs some of the same stuff Tebow is doing and throws a much better ball.

As for the win difference between them, I would suppose that has something to do with defense. I am a pretty dedicated football fan (IMHO) but I would struggle to name 3 starters on the Panthers defense.
Old 12-07-2011   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16557 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

this can either go two ways

we get to newton a just smother him with alot of sacks

or Newton straight burns us up with his feet and arm

TBO right now i think we lose to cincy and Carolina
Norg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
please....

denvers D is so much better than the panthers ode to the 2010 texans D
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
please....

denvers D is so much better than the panthers ode to the 2010 texans D
Don't give me that. Denver's defense wasn't some top defense before Tebow got in there. They looked awful and they were 1-4. Newton also has the luxury of playing with Steve Smith and has a much better cast of RB's to utilize than what Tebow has. I'm not saying Tebow is better, but don't sit here and act like Tebow had a much better team around him when he started playing, because that's complete bull.
Old 12-07-2011   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Don't give me that. Denver's defense wasn't some top defense before Tebow got in there. They looked awful and they were 1-4. Newton also has the luxury of playing with Steve Smith and has a much better cast of RB's to utilize than what Tebow has. I'm not saying Tebow is better, but don't sit here and act like Tebow had a much better team around him when he started playing, because that's complete bull.
Seems like overstatements by both sides. Denver had 40 TD's last year. Steve Smith and company eecked out 17 TD's last year. Arian Foster had more TD's by himself than the Panthers. Seems like another case of giving too much credit to the QB for either success or failure.
Old 12-07-2011   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seems like overstatements by both sides. Denver had 40 TD's last year. Steve Smith and company eecked out 17 TD's last year. Arian Foster had more TD's by himself than the Panthers. Seems like another case of giving too much credit to the QB for either success or failure.
I don't care what Smith and that team did last year. That team completely quit at half season last year, so that means nothing to me. Smith is a premier WR when he's fully healthy. The Panthers have a solid running game and have for years with Williams and their two other guys. Tebow has the worst skill position players in the league to work with on offense, and the only other team that could compete with the Broncos as far as that is concerned is the Browns. The only decent weapons Tebow had were traded away earlier this year. This has nothing to do with to much credit. The Broncos have total shit on offense as far as talent at skill positions, and the Panthers are much better in that regard.
Old 12-07-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I don't care what Smith and that team did last year. That team completely quit at half season last year, so that means nothing to me. Smith is a premier WR when he's fully healthy. The Panthers have a solid running game and have for years with Williams and their two other guys. Tebow has the worst skill position players in the league to work with on offense, and the only other team that could compete with the Broncos as far as that is concerned is the Browns. The only decent weapons Tebow had were traded away earlier this year. This has nothing to do with to much credit. The Broncos have total shit on offense as far as talent at skill positions, and the Panthers are much better in that regard.

I don't always agree with Texecutioner, but when I do it's because he just posted some damn good shit.

It's not like Tebow was thrown on to the Jags team that had the #5 defense in the league. That team was underachieving on both sides of the ball before Tebow "inspired' them to win. You know, real leadership stuff.
Old 12-07-2011   #15
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I find it funny that some of the same people who critisized Vince Young for winning games but looking horrible as an NFL thrower are giving kudos to tim tebow, who actually throws even worse than sausage boy.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I find it funny that some of the same people who critisized Vince Young for winning games but looking horrible as an NFL thrower are giving kudos to tim tebow, who actually throws even worse than sausage boy.
I've noticed that as well.
Old 12-07-2011   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admit, I didn't think Newton would be successful. He has surprised me a bit. Congrats to him.

However, I hope we crush him when he comes to town.
Old 12-07-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Can you be more specific?

I've never been hard on VY, I've only wanted to see him fail twice a year.
Old 12-07-2011   #19
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
And just the opposite, the VY nut-huggers are 100% Anti-Tebow.

I'll let Tebowmania slide for another 2 weeks as long as they beat the Pats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I have to admit, I didn't think Newton would be successful. He has surprised me a bit. Congrats to him.

However, I hope we crush him when he comes to town.
I didn't either, and I'll own up to that all day. His passing has dropped down a lot from what he was doing at the beginning of the season though, and now he is mainly running TD's in. 14 TD's or whatever that number is pretty freaking crazy though. Most RB's don't even touch a number like that for rushing TD's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read