Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #21
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster is an Elite back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I have to agree .... this is business and Foster has far and away handled his end. He's going to expect bigtime and I dont blame him.

The team may have been better off locking him up prior to this season rather than allowing him to reach FA.
Oh no doubt he'll be deserving of a big contract, and he'll certainly ask for it. I don't know why anyone would be foolish enough to believe that Foster would somehow not care about getting a max contract when he's arguably the best RB in the NFL. No one does that. What elite RB's are going to ask for going forward is going to be way to high though considering what CJ got. That will be the measuring stick from this point on. I'd invest my money in the O line that can pass protect and run block with effectiveness for any back we have, before I'd want to put that kind of investment in a position that has a high history of injuries and shorter shelf life in this league. Shall we forget about guys like Domanick Davis, Jamal Anderson, and many others? You get the best O line to run block and you can have an average guy giving you 1,200 plus yards for the year with some back ups contributing nicely as well. Foster will want probably like 8 Million a year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74971 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
So is my proposal above a big-time money contract and a fair offer?

It was 35 mill over 5 years with 25 guaranteed.
That's not much of a cap killer. I would be in favor of a deal like that.
Old 12-05-2011   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192665 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
So is my proposal above a big-time money contract and a fair offer?

It was 35 mill over 5 years with 25 guaranteed.
I think its fair ..... but Im not the guy who has to sign on the dotted line.

How much was CJ2ypc guaranteed ?

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #24
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
With the flu. Cant sell that short.
He played with the flu yesterday?
Old 12-05-2011   #25
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
He played with the flu yesterday?
Yeah he tweeted about it after the game.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #26
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Rep Power: 409 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...act-breakdown/

Quote:
Johnson received a $10 million signing bonus, along with a $3 million fully guaranteed base salary in 2011.

In 2012, Johnson will receive a base salary of $8 million. The base salary is guaranteed for injury only at the time of signing. It becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2012 League Year.

The base salary reduces by $250,000 if Johnson doesn’t participate in the team’s offseason workout program. It drops by another $300,000 if he doesn’t rush for 1,000 yards in 2011.

In 2013, Johnson’s salary is $10 million, $9 million of which is guaranteed for injury only now. It becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2013 League Year. The salary drops by $250,000 if he fails to complete the offseason workout program.

In 2014, Johnson’s salary is $8 million, with the same $250,000 de-escalator. Ditto for 2015.

In the final year of the deal, Johnson’s salary will be $7 million, with a $2 million roster bonus due on the seventh day of the 2016 League Year. The base salary can drop by up to $2 million based on rushing yards, along with a potential $250,000 reduction based on participation in offseason workouts.

It works out to a be a six-year, $56 million deal. That’s an average of $9.3 million.
It is my understanding since it only guarantees money due to injury, the Titans can get out of the contract due to a decline in skill and only owe him $13 mil for this season, or at the end of next season if he continues to suck and only blow $22 mil.

I think something similar could be worked out with Foster, although I still feel $9.3 mil is a bit ridiculous for a running back, but let's face it, Foster is an explosive player and has the possibility to impact the game every time he touches the ball. I see no problem with him getting $6-8 million a year if he continues to play like this for the next 5-6 years. Which I believe he can.

Last edited by Jaysol; 12-05-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Jaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #27
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Rep Power: 409 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as the Texans not having to pay Arian as much because we have Tate as a back up. Tate is currently ranked 17th in total yards with 753 yards on 138 attempts. If he had the 200+ carries that most the top 10 rushers have, he could likely be over 900 yards and would likely be looking for that same big money that Foster is likely to receive next year.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2011   #28
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
That's not much of a cap killer. I would be in favor of a deal like that.
Agree. I think Foster needs to be appreciated and the way you appreciate players is by giving them a nice contract.

Quote:

What I like about my offer is that it increased Foster's current salary 10 fold.

CJ got around 9.3 mill a year which I think is a ton. I arrived at the figure of 5 because currently Frank Gore fifth highest paid back receives 4.9. 5 mill makes FOster the fifth highest paid back, increases his wages 10 fold, AND is cap friendly to the team.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #29
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay him, Rick.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #30
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
ash clouds cause flights to be cancelled... oh im sorry i thought this was a 'things we learnt in 2010' thread

once arians demands are reasonable, he should get paid. hes given a clinic on how to play out an underpaid contract & deserves to be rewarded for acting like a pro. foster and tate should be the backbone of this offence for yrs
I am kinda for trading Tate for a 1st and a 2nd.... can u imagine if we got 5 of the first 64 picks.
Old 12-05-2011   #31
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11150 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
I am kinda for trading Tate for a 1st and a 2nd.... can u imagine if we got 5 of the first 64 picks.
Highly doubt anyone would do that trade.
Old 12-05-2011   #32
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And exactly who would your suitors be that would give up a 1st & a 2nd for Tate? Inquiring minds and all.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #33
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Quote:
I was talking with some friends about this as well, as much as I enjoy the one / two punch of Foster and Tate, and it was great to have a back that could carry a full load while Foster was out. I just feel like his talent is wasted as a number 2 back. If we feel Ward can do a reasonable job backing up Foster, Tate could get us some great picks in the next draft. I'm not saying a 1st and 2nd round pick, but some combination of picks or prospects in positions that we are not as fortunate enough to have two studs in.
Old 12-05-2011   #34
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you want to talk a trade for Tate, than let's talk about a real life trade and not one on Madden. No team would do that.

We could get a 2nd rounder for him which is where we drafted him if I'm not mistaken.

I say we need to keep Tate either way. You need two backs these days. Both of them could easily get hurt as it is. Having two backs like this is what makes this offense able to win without a strong passing game. I just wouldn't spend ridiculous money on anyone at the RB position when there are to many flash in the pan RB's that you can plug in if you're O line is playing really well. People forget that the O line is the bigger and more important part to a successful running game than the actual RB himself.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #35
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the best route to go this year may be to franchise tag Arian. It would mean the team won't have to risk much in the way of money over the years. Or lock him down now for 4-5 years and hope he makes it to 2015. Tough choice as he's definitely important, but it may require letting Mario walk in return.
Old 12-05-2011   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think the best route to go this year may be to franchise tag Arian. It would mean the team won't have to risk much in the way of money over the years. Or lock him down now for 4-5 years and hope he makes it to 2015. Tough choice as he's definitely important, but it may require letting Mario walk in return.
Foster is not UFA after this season. There is no reason to franchise tag him. We can high tender him.
Old 12-05-2011   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the two sides will agree without much fanfare. Mario's situation is what interests me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #38
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think the two sides will agree without much fanfare. Mario's situation is what interests me.
Mario gets the franchise tag. I believe salary caps are suppose to increase the year after next.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #39
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Mario gets the franchise tag. I believe salary caps are suppose to increase the year after next.
I've heard his cap would be too high due to something John McClain said the other day. There is some acceleration clause for guys like Mario or something along those lines.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #40
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Foster is not UFA after this season. There is no reason to franchise tag him. We can high tender him.
Do you think he's going to play another year for peanuts? I don't. I completely expect him to hold out if that's all Rick offers him, and I wouldn't blame him at all if he did. He's outperformed his contract for two years straight now, and he deserves a pay raise, even if he has to sit out a season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read