Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #1
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 324 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Foster is an Elite back

The guy in the open field is second to none. You have to pay this guy long term, as he IS the most complete running back in the league. He almost never gets tackled by the first guy, and his vision is excellent. The move he put on DROB yesterday was nasty. Just nasty.

Pay the man.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Foster is an Elite back

With the flu. Cant sell that short.
Old 12-05-2011   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on how much money he wants. If he wants money compared to what CJ got, than I'd hate to see the Texans pay any RB like that. CJ and Williams both got way to much money, and RB's simply arent' worth that type of investment when you can use average backs in many cases to give you good production if your O line is really good at opening the holes and pushing the pile. We have a great RB in Ben Tate that is sitting right behind Foster. I'd love to keep Foster for the long term and he is the best RB in the league right now in my opinion, but I don't want the Texans to have to pay any RB the kind of money that Williams and CJ both got, and that's what he'll most likely ask for.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Depends on how much money he wants. If he wants money compared to what CJ got, than I'd hate to see the Texans pay any RB like that. CJ and Williams both got way to much money, and RB's simply arent' worth that type of investment when you can use average backs in many cases to give you good production if your O line is really good at opening the holes and pushing the pile. We have a great RB in Ben Tate that is sitting right behind Foster. I'd love to keep Foster for the long term and he is the best RB in the league right now in my opinion, but I don't want the Texans to have to pay any RB the kind of money that Williams and CJ both got, and that's what he'll most likely ask for.
I think you can pay Foster the money BECAUSE Tate is here.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #5
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 324 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Considering the cap is going to go up. I think you should give him top 3 money. He does not take hard hits, and will be LT like for the next 5 years. 5 years 55 million would be fine with me. Ben Tate is good, but Arian Foster he is not.
Old 12-05-2011   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know, but the man needs to get paid more than he's been making. Does he get food stamps?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

ash clouds cause flights to be cancelled... oh im sorry i thought this was a 'things we learnt in 2010' thread

once arians demands are reasonable, he should get paid. hes given a clinic on how to play out an underpaid contract & deserves to be rewarded for acting like a pro. foster and tate should be the backbone of this offence for yrs
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2011   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansForTheW View Post
Considering the cap is going to go up. I think you should give him top 3 money. He does not take hard hits, and will be LT like for the next 5 years. 5 years 55 million would be fine with me. Ben Tate is good, but Arian Foster he is not.
What do you mean he doesn't take hard hits?? Lol! He is an NFL RB and they all take hard hits. There is no getting away from that if you're a back that carries the ball 15 times a game.

Top 3 money is a waste for any RB in my opinion. The Titans were crazy to pay CJ that kind of money regardless of how great he has been. RB's aren't a dime a dozen, but it's not that hard to plug in play them when you have the kind of O line that we have right now. Other than at Kicker, RB is probably the position that I'd want to spend one of the least amounts on as far as player salaries go. Denver put together one great season after another of a productive running game in this system with average backs other than those years that Terrell Davis and Portis were there. I love Foster, but RB's aren't worth over 6 Million a year especially when you have Ben Tate sitting right behind him. Tate is a beast as well.
Old 12-05-2011   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you mean he doesn't take hard hits?? Lol! He is an NFL RB and they all take hard hits. There is no getting away from that if you're a back that carries the ball 15 times a game.

Defenders dont often get a good shot at him ..... he's said it himself that he tries to only give them half a target , not allowing the defender to square up on him to deliver a big hit.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #10
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansForTheW View Post
The guy in the open field is second to none. You have to pay this guy long term, as he IS the most complete running back in the league. He almost never gets tackled by the first guy, and his vision is excellent. The move he put on DROB yesterday was nasty. Just nasty.

Pay the man.

Quote:
I agree with Texecutioner. Foster is the best RB in the league, but the shelf life of a RB is pretty short. Adrian Peterson is already talking about getting a higher contract than CJ got. If there was no salary cap then sure, i wouldn't mind giving a massive contract to Foster, but the reality is there is a salary cap.

So I say offer him a fair contract. But what is fair? Let's see. CJ is making about 9.3 per year base salary(56 mill total). The 5th highest paid RB in 2011 is Frank Gore who made 4.9 base. Foster currently makes $525,000 in base. If we offer him a total of $35 million over 5 year(of which 25 is guaranteed), then it turns into a base of $5 mill per year. That is a reasonable offer to show Foster we appreciate him yet it does not hamstring the team like a 9 or 10 mill a year contract would.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Defenders dont often get a good shot at him ..... he's said it himself that he tries to only give them half a target , not allowing the defender to square up on him to deliver a big hit.
RB's take big hits and I've seen him take a ton of big hits. There is no way around that no matter how hard he tries to give half a target.
Old 12-05-2011   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I agree with Texecutioner. Foster is the best RB in the league, but the shelf life of a RB is pretty short. Adrian Peterson is already talking about getting a higher contract than CJ got. If there was no salary cap then sure, i wouldn't mind giving a massive contract to Foster, but the reality is there is a salary cap.

So I say offer him a fair contract. But what is fair? Let's see. CJ is making about 9.3 per year base salary(56 mill total). The 5th highest paid RB in 2011 is Frank Gore who made 4.9 base. Foster currently makes $525,000 in base. If we offer him a total of $35 million over 5 year(of which 25 is guaranteed), then it turns into a base of $5 mill per year. That is a reasonable offer to show Foster we appreciate him yet it does not hamstring the team like a 9 or 10 mill a year contract would.
Hammer meet nail. This is exactly where I would draw the line. Our running game was pretty damn good when Foster was out as well and Tate carried the running game. We also have had our 3rd string guy look pretty good in limited action. Foster may be better than Tate, but it's not by much. Tate is a freaking tank. Teams are going to learn from watching the Panthers and the Titans throw bad money on Williams and CJ. NO RB IS WORTH THAT KIND OF MONEY.
Old 12-05-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

I think it boils down to how much is money is guaranteed rather than the total value of a contract.

Old 12-05-2011   #14
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Quote:
Hammer meet nail. This is exactly where I would draw the line. Our running game was pretty damn good when Foster was out as well and Tate carried the running game. We also have had our 3rd string guy look pretty good in limited action. Foster may be better than Tate, but it's not by much. Tate is a freaking tank. Teams are going to learn from watching the Panthers and the Titans throw bad money on Williams and CJ. NO RB IS WORTH THAT KIND OF MONEY.
Not by much. Tate has shown this year that he is unreliable to catch a dump off. What makes Foster so special is his vision, pass protection, open field running, and catching passes out of the back field. Tate runs like a bat out of hell but he isn't close to Arian. This team needs Foster.
Old 12-05-2011   #15
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 124668 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Arian doesnt seem like the type that will demand outrageous money. He is all class and an outstanding human being.

Pay the man Rick!
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Arian doesnt seem like the type that will demand outrageous money. He is all class and an outstanding human being.

Pay the man Rick!
You're in for a rude awakening big time.
Old 12-05-2011   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

Pay the man Rick!
Quote:
You're in for a rude awakening big time.
I have to agree .... this is business and Foster has far and away handled his end. He's going to expect bigtime and I dont blame him.

The team may have been better off locking him up prior to this season rather than allowing him to reach FA.

Old 12-05-2011   #18
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11150 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to agree .... this is business and Foster has far and away handled his end. He's going to expect bigtime and I dont blame him.

The team may have been better off locking him up prior to this season rather than allowing him to reach FA.
Foster is RFA - Right to match.
Old 12-05-2011   #19
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So is my proposal above a big-time money contract and a fair offer?

It was 35 mill over 5 years with 25 guaranteed.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
Foster is RFA - Right to match.
Regardless of that fact , I think they could have saved a substantial amount of money by giving him a reasonable deal after last season because someone is going to offer him stupid money this offseason.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read