Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #21
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: People Say Yates cant....but WHY NOT?!

I didn't know this part of the story. People may not care for the moniker "The Gunslinger" as it implies a degree of recklessness (and it's already been taken). However, "The Hired Gun" may more appropriately describe his true origins.

Quote:
HOUSTON – When T.J. Yates learned last winter that he’d been invited to the NFL scouting combine, the former University of North Carolina quarterback had reason to smile. The invitation came with a caveat, however.

The good news was that Yates would be heading to Indianapolis. The bad news? He’d be arriving early, staying late and icing his right forearm repeatedly. As one of three quarterbacks designated as a combine arm, Yates’ job was to serve as a human ball machine, launching throw after throw in drills for offensive skill players, linebackers and defensive backs.

By the end of his stay, Yates was in grin-and-bear-it mode.

“They invite you, but it’s pretty much the last three guys” who are combine arms, Yates recalled Sunday after helping the Houston Texans to a 17-10 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in his first NFL start. “You go on the first day and stay all the way to the last day to throw to the defensive guys and stuff. It was kind of annoying because you’re there for eight days straight.

“I was ready to get out of there, especially on the last day. I probably threw like 150 deep balls to [defensive backs] during their drills. Just a hired arm.”

The hired arm became a camp arm last summer, a few months after the Texans took Yates in the fifth round of last April’s draft. He ultimately earned a roster spot as the team’s third-string quarterback. And when starter Matt Schaub and backup Matt Leinart were lost to season-ending injuries in back-to-back games last month, Yates became one of the least likely passers entrusted to guide a playoff contender in recent memory.

Though Yates’ numbers weren’t especially impressive on Sunday, he was poised, assertive and accurate – and he had more zip on his passes than most people outside of the Texans’ locker room anticipated. You’ll likely be seeing more of him in the coming weeks as Houston (9-3) closes in on its first-ever AFC South title and postseason appearance, even as the Texans continue to endure an unseemly wave of injuries to key players.
link
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #22
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

video was good, i saw it before the game. I just hope that AJ can help us get to the superbowl this season. He has worked his ass off for this team, and stuck with us even though he could of gotten bigger money else where. He deserves a ring from this team. I hope T.J Yates can help lead us there.
Old 12-05-2011   #23
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

watched it 5 times already. almost brings a tear to my eye. no matter what happens the rest of the season I have for the first time sincerely proud of my houston texans

living in canada. its not easy being a texans fan. I've been the centre of all football jokes for 10 years. and now nobody is saying a thing! I love it!

hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #24
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, got me all tingly... Why not?
Old 12-06-2011   #25
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates believes in himself, that makes me believe in him... im looking forward to yates showing out and making all these teams that took qbs before him feel stupid... especially Jacksonville and Tennessee...
Old 12-06-2011   #26
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pickle View Post
watched it 5 times already. almost brings a tear to my eye. no matter what happens the rest of the season I have for the first time sincerely proud of my houston texans

living in canada. its not easy being a texans fan. I've been the centre of all football jokes for 10 years. and now nobody is saying a thing! I love it!

I'm lucky I guess. I live in South East Texas where there is enough Jerrah hate that the Cowboy fans get the butt of most jokes.
Old 12-06-2011   #27
txns4lf
Rookie

i think tj played great he made plays during the game that i felt matt shaub could not make like and also made great decisions when under pressure ( besides that one int that got called back) but overall i was happy with his performance....here is a question if tj wins us a playoff game do you think he wills start over shaub?
txns4lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2011   #28
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by txns4lf View Post
i think tj played great he made plays during the game that i felt matt shaub could not make like and also made great decisions when under pressure ( besides that one int that got called back) but overall i was happy with his performance....here is a question if tj wins us a playoff game do you think he wills start over shaub?

He'd have to clearly beat him out in preseason and that won't be easy. Schaub is good. Yates has physical abilities that Schaub doesn't, but actually playing better is a very steep learning curve.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by txns4lf View Post
That big bomb (50 yards) to Andre, Schaub couldn't have made that play. Tj stumbled out of the gate, more than likely Schaub wouldn't have tripped up, but if he did Schaub would have fell on his face.

Tj was able to keep his balance & his composure to set his feet & let it fly with a defender in his face... Schaub would have made a bee line for the side line.

Tj also made a couple of no-no throws... I saw at least two where he was either on his back foot, or on no feet at all. One of the screens to Arian, where he saw him at the last minute as he was dodging DLmen. But the ball still had zip, which is a good sign of a strong arm.

I'm excited about Tj Yates, but I don't think he is better than Schaub (yet). Winning in the post season isn't going to be enough for me to want him to replace Matt. If he balls out & we win because of his play, if Tj Yates is our MVP of the play-offs, then we'll have to have that conversation.

But regular season wins don't get him the job, Matt Schaub got us 7 of them this year. If TJ gets us 5, maybe we can start talking......

Old 12-08-2011   #30
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Why not TJ Yates?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #31
SeminoleTexan
Rookie

Rep Power: 112 SeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeminoleTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome video! I've watched it a few times already and will probably watch it a few more right before the game on Sunday lol. I'm very familiar with TJ Yates since I've watched him the last 4 years in college at UNC and he beat my Seminoles last season.
SeminoleTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read