Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #21
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fumble, well in the real world an incomplete pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
What was the best was this:

Mike Pereira, who was the NFL's Vice President of Officiating from 2004-09, was on the phone DURING the booth review--He was speaking with the two Fox commentators (Moose Johnston and Kenny Albert)--and he told Moose and Albert that it was clearly an incomplete pass by Yates. The hand was moving forward, he said, and it's the hand moving forward and not the position of the elbow that matters. Then the head ref announces that the ruling would stand...and Mike Pereira says, "Wow. That's wrong. They got it wrong there. It wasn't a fumble." If Mike Pereira says the ref got it wrong, then it was an OBVIOUS wrong call, folks. I'm just sayin'.....

----------------------

So just like I said earlier in another thread: THIS ref crew had a head ref who was not going to overturn one of his guys' calls today. Whatever happened on the field, however it was that HIS ref crew saw the play happen, is how it was going to REMAIN.

The one caveat is when they picked up the flag for the hit on a Falcons WR that was at first deemed helmet-to-helmet but the flag was picked up after the refs conversed. Still, the booth reviews were not going to get overturned today IMO.

I was in utter SHOCK when the head ref stated that the ruling on the field was going to stand. I expected thousands of fans to flood the field and complete mayhem to ensue. I honestly did. After all this team and its fans have been through, for the refs to completely ignore EASY evidence of a hand moving forward, I reckoned this would be the first ever NFL game where a city's fans killed and ate the carcasses of all the refs working that game.
This is why refs should be vulnerable to a fine. It was painfully obvious that the arm was going forward. At least the players came on the field and cost em a TD. One of the worst calls I have ever seen.
Old 12-05-2011   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
This is why refs should be vulnerable to a fine. It was painfully obvious that the arm was going forward. At least the players came on the field and cost em a TD. One of the worst calls I have ever seen.
Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean the officials aren't held accountable for every call.
Old 12-05-2011   #23
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The roughing the passer call that happened was a terrible call as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Wasn't that call overturned? I don't really blame them for that one as long as it was overturned on review. When I first saw it, I thought it was a head-shot too, but the replay showed it obviously wasn't.
No that call wasnt overturned - they picked up the flag on K-Jax hit that initially was called leading with his helmet , it was obvious it was his shoulder and no helmet to helmet contact involved.

The roughing call on A. Smith was a good call - he hit Ryan in the head / neck ..... and thats a no no , intentional or not.

I dont fault Smith for the play tho .... He cant really compensate for Ryan ducking into his arm.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #24
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont fault Smith for the play tho .... He cant really compensate for Ryan ducking into his arm.
I cant believe I am saying this but the NFL really needs to look at what the NHL is doing this year with headshots. If the player that gets hit in the head put himself in that position there is supposed to be no penalty called.

For instance if right before the hit the player ducks or dekes which changes the position of his head, the person hitting him is not held liable.

Although this is mostly used when determining if someone will be suspended NFL should start using it.

Also speaking of NHL to NFL changes. Reviews should be done by impartial parties at another location. Just like the NHL. The on ice officals dont review anything. They have a team in Tornoto that reviews anything questionable. That way more than one person ways in on the correct call, and no one is invested in what the call was on the field (ice).
Old 12-05-2011   #25
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 46521 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Incomplete pass or not, you play to the whistle. Watching everybody stand around and one, only one player (and a Falcon at that) realised that the whistle hadn't gone. Peewee football kids know that the play isn't over till the whistle.
I believe they called it an interception. That was pretty funny, reminded me of the scene with Cuba Gooding Jr. in the movie Rat Race!!!

The K-Jax call was pretty stupid because IMO they were both Kung Fu Fighting each other so why does he get the call alone.

The roughing the passes call was technically a good call, but that whole head thing is so ticky tacky. If you club a guy I get it, but when you're blocked in to a QB and you graze his head, come on. Also if you want to call that, on one of the sacks of Yates, the Atlanta Player border line left his feet and drilled Yates in to the ground which is a no no.
Old 12-05-2011   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I believe they called it an interception. That was pretty funny, reminded me of the scene with Cuba Gooding Jr. in the movie Rat Race!!!

The K-Jax call was pretty stupid because IMO they were both Kung Fu Fighting each other so why does he get the call alone.

The roughing the passes call was technically a good call, but that whole head thing is so ticky tacky. If you club a guy I get it, but when you're blocked in to a QB and you graze his head, come on. Also if you want to call that, on one of the sacks of Yates, the Atlanta Player border line left his feet and drilled Yates in to the ground which is a no no.
That play left me holding my breath .... Winston got beat terribly on that one and I really wondered if Yates was gonna get back up.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #27
BlueSteel
Veteran

Rep Power: 151 BlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respectedBlueSteel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Incomplete pass or not, you play to the whistle. Watching everybody stand around and one, only one player (and a Falcon at that) realised that the whistle hadn't gone. Peewee football kids know that the play isn't over till the whistle.
Except that the ref on the sideline signaled it as incomplete and then everyone started to walk away from the ball. The one player that finally picked it up was still looking around confused and then the side ref put his hands down and started watching the player with the ball when he realized that no whistle had sounded.

The reffing yesterday was the worst I have ever seen and it was bad for both teams.
Old 12-05-2011   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Also if you want to call that, on one of the sacks of Yates, the Atlanta Player border line left his feet and drilled Yates in to the ground which is a no no.
Winston shoved the guy, it was 100% "blocked into the QB." Without the shove, Yates doesn't get pancaked like that.

I'm telling all of you guys, I can screenshot it if you think I'm exaggerating. On the reverse end zone camera (or maybe it was the overhead "wire" camera) Winston was beaten, tried to push the guy past Yates but ended up pushing the lineman smack dab right into Yates. Winston hurt Yates by getting beat AND by shoving the guy into him, even though it was accidental.
Old 12-05-2011   #29
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As awkward as this sounds, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. The more adversity this group overcomes now the better it will be for them come the play-offs.

& I'm good with that.
It was a bullshit call but I think you're right. In the long run it turns out to be priceless experieince that Yates got and ultimately it didn't cost us the game. That's good enough for me.
Old 12-05-2011   #30
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fumble, well in the real world an incomplete pass.

Quote:
This was discussed extensively in the game day thread, but I wanted some feedback. I'm sure there isn't one fan on this board that thinks that TJ fumbled the ball today due to the obvious combined with a little homerism.

My reason for the post is have you ever seen a fumble where the ball goes 10 yards past the LOS? I'm being serious when I ask this.

You can get in to the tuck rule and all that but I can't say I've ever a 10 yard forward fumble, I mean ever.

That has to be in the top 50 stupidest calls ever. Any person with. Ommon sense could tell you Yates arm was moving forward or the ball would have been in Yate's vecenity. Am I missing something?
That's ok, I made a running joke in our section. If you were at the game, after the penalty was called for players on the field, the ref referenced the 'interception.'

So everytime something stupid happened I yelled 'interception!'
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #31
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Poor call, Perreira confirmed that.

Cost us 3 points.
Old 12-05-2011   #32
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fumble, well in the real world an incomplete pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Poor call, Perreira confirmed that.

Cost us 3 points.
I miss him on NLFN, the new guy totally tows the company line.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read