Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Whether you like it or not, but Kubiak...

dream_team

Hall of Fame
should be considered a top contender for Coach of the Year. The only other serious contenders right now should be Mike Mcarthy, for obvious reasons, and Jim Harbaugh.

I know everyone in here wants to give all the credit to Wade... but unfortunately, he's not eligible to win.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
The reason I'd give Kubiak the nod over anyone else (besides Mcarthy) is none of those other teams had to deal with the injuries the Texans have had to deal with. So many times we could have folded and had valid excuses to lose, but there's no quit in this team!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I wouldn't give it to Gary because I hate him. LOL

Seriously, I would give it to Fox. He changed his entire offense midseason to fit what Tebow does best. They're on a roll.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Jim Harbaugh for sure. He took a 6-10 team and turned them into a 10-2 team so far, and I expect them to be at least 12-4 at the end of the season. Kubiak winning the award would be laughable as he hasn't really done anything different this year, it's defense that changed the culture of the organization.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I know everyone in here wants to give all the credit to Wade... but unfortunately, he's not eligible to win.
True, but honestly Wade deserves the most credit. The attitude of that defense has spread to the entire team. They have everyone believing now.

OK, everyone but Kubiak considering he still can't watch the crucial plays. :kitten: ;)

Edit: See Dutch's post above. He said better what I was trying to say.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Jim Harbaugh is the coach of the year. Kubiak deserves recognition, mainly due to Wade Phillips' tremendous turnaround of the defense.

TexansFanatic

Extremist
should be considered a top contender for Coach of the Year. The only other serious contenders right now should be Mike Mcarthy, for obvious reasons, and Jim Harbaugh.

Who chooses the winner? Is that a sportswriter thing? Or is it the other coaches?

Kubiak may have the upper hand depending on who chooses. He seems like a really well-liked person. Harbaugh---not so much.

McCarthy should certainly get it if the Pack goes undefeated.

bckey

All Pro

Absolutely no way Kubiak should win coach of the year. And please stop posting unfinished thread titles.

rollinstone18

let it bleed
no, he shouldn't. and i dislike the kubiak haters as much as okies from muskogee. y'all raped this board for two seasons. let us have this one and just try to enjoy football, goddamnit.

This is Wade's team. It is Wade's season. He did this.

However, I have been impressed with how Kubiak has handled the QB disaster. He doesn't appear to be panicking, and seems to be methodically, and calmly, pushing ahead, doing what he has to do to win. Kubiak seems confident.

But, guess why he's confident? Because we have a solid defense. Guess who is in charge of that?

Get it?

GP

Go Texans!
agree with you.

The titles that try to leave you hanging are pretty bogus. Just state the title, don't try to make it a cliff hanger. It just ends up being a dingleberry instead.

GP

Go Texans!
I'm thrilled Gary is doing well.

How was the MB raped?

What's with the cursing?
I agree. I'm trying to curb my own cussing (on here AND in real life). I'd never been a cusser until the past year, now it's getting out of hand. I think it's because of me being a Texans fan--I'm worn down and had gotten potty mouth syndrome due to the anxiety of it all. LOL.

no, he shouldn't. and i dislike the kubiak haters as much as okies from muskogee. y'all raped this board for two seasons. let us have this one and just try to enjoy football, goddamnit.
Nobody's stealing your victory dance. Continue to party on in whatever fashion you desire.

The conversation is about IF Kubiak deserves Coach of The Year or not.

I happen to weigh in with the opinion that Harbaugh taking the reins as a first-year NFL coach, doing something positive with Alex What's His Name at QB--when other coaches have NOT been able to--and romping through the NFL like Tebow on the white horse of the Apocalypse is worthy of Coach of the Year.

McCarthy would be 2nd, due to somehow being undefeated when most Super Bowl teams regress the next year.

Kubiak in 3rd.

How's THAT for peeing on your parade? j/k, don't be mad at me....

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Wade does deserve more of the glory for this team's turn around, but the award does only go to a head coach, and I would have to give it to Kubiak over everyone else due to the amount of bad injuries the Texans have suffered and yet we're 9-3. I think the way we've battled through the adversity as a team has been more impressive than any other team.

I can't believe I"m saying this, but right now I'd give it to Gary Kubiak.

GP

Go Texans!
Wade does deserve more of the glory for this team's turn around, but the award does only go to a head coach, and I would have to give it to Kubiak over everyone else due to the amount of bad injuries the Texans have suffered and yet we're 9-3. I think the way we've battled through the adversity as a team has been more impressive than any other team.

I can't believe I"m saying this, but right now I'd give it to Gary Kubiak.
Traitor to the cause.

I am marking this down in my notebook, sir.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Traitor to the cause.

I am marking this down in my notebook, sir.
I have to give credit where it's due this year, and I've wanted Gary to make me say this for years. Finally there has been a regular season that he can hang his hat on. I do realize that it's been mainly due to Wade Phillips, but he is still the HC of this team and that is who the award goes to. I'd take Harbaugh first, but the Niners haven't dealt with anything close to what the Texans have injury wise and we're still on a winning streak. We're over achieving and I like it. :bravo:

Rey

Kubiak hands down. If he's going to take the blame in defeat then he gets the glory in victory.

Wade has been tremendous though and if kubiak won he should at the least acknowledge he is splitting it with wade.

GP

Go Texans!
I have to give credit where it's due this year, and I've wanted Gary to make me say this for years. Finally there has been a regular season that he can hang his hat on. I do realize that it's been mainly due to Wade Phillips, but he is still the HC of this team and that is who the award goes to. I'd take Harbaugh first, but the Niners haven't dealt with anything close to what the Texans have injury wise and we're still on a winning streak. We're over achieving and I like it. :bravo:
You even dropped the sig pic, too.

LOL.

Is this you (see below) Tex? Just teasing, btw.

You know, I can see why the injuries to our key players and having a 3rd string QB manage to play decently and get us the plays we needed can earn Kubiak a HCOTY award. It's alright by me.

clutch

Noob
i think every one knows it will be Jim Harbaugh.. if wade phillips was the head coach then of coarse he would get it..not sure if they have a defensive coordinator award??

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I don't see how it's anyone besides Jim Harbaugh.

That said, what Gary (and Wade, obviously) has done this year has been nothing short of spectacular.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

That said, what Gary (and Wade, obviously) has done this year has been nothing short of spectacular.
If the season ended today, I don't see how it's anyone besides Mike Mcarthy. I think if you go the regular season undefeated, you have to be coach of the year.

I would give 2nd place to Kubiak, though. In 2010, 49ers and Texans were 6-10. They are now only one game apart, so the improvement is similar. I also think the Texans had a slightly tougher schedule. But the cherry on top are the injuries. Texans have played majority of their games without their best player (AJ) and their best defensive player (Mario), not to mention Foster basically missing 3 games. And now we're down to our 3rd string rookie QB, but still finds ways to win?

I wanted Kubiak gone last season just like everyone else, but I'm calling it like I see it this season.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
The Packers were expected to be great though.

For one coach to come in, completely change the culture of the team, turn Alex Smith into something good, and to be what 2nd in the NFC? Especially for a rookie coach making the jump from college to the pros?

I could see Kubiak being 2nd or third place behind Harbaugh and McCarthy.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Jim Harbaugh for sure. He took a 6-10 team and turned them into a 10-2 team so far, and I expect them to be at least 12-4 at the end of the season. Kubiak winning the award would be laughable as he hasn't really done anything different this year, it's defense that changed the culture of the organization.
eh..... IMO, the 49ers are a 12-4 team like the 2010 Bucs were a 10-6 team. The only impressive win they have so far....... the Giants. We'll see how far they fall next year.

By the same token, injuries or not, I'm taking the 9-3 Texans with a grain of salt. Kubiak doesn't need to be considered for coach of the year until we win a couple of play-off games (one of them will probably be against Tebow).

But this is a regular season award.... & they both should be in the conversation.

Maddict5

Hall of Fame
he definitely deserves to be in the conversation... hes done a great job this year. the whole team has

buddyboy

Rookie
After years of poor defenses and poor DCs, Kubiak has taken tons of blame because, ultimately, the product on the field is his responsibility.

Now, after the defense starts playing well, Kubiak suddenly has no part of the defensive improvement. If you take blame when things are bad, you deserve praise when things are good.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

The Packers were expected to be great though.

For one coach to come in, completely change the culture of the team, turn Alex Smith into something good, and to be what 2nd in the NFC? Especially for a rookie coach making the jump from college to the pros?

I could see Kubiak being 2nd or third place behind Harbaugh and McCarthy.
Neither Harbaugh nor McCarthy are winning with 2nd and 3rd string QBs or with their principal offensive weapon on the sideline for half the year.

Singletary had started instilling a winner's pride in that team when he got there in 2008; Harbaugh simply picked up where Samurai Mike left off. And being a former QB, he knew that Alex Smith just needed the right kind of guidance and an offense that didn't rely on him carrying the team but used Frank Gore and the defense that Singletary and Mike Nolan had put together.

Speaking of their defense, I saw where they had to help Patrick Willis off the field today. Let's see how they fare without the heart of that defense on the field.

toronto

Hall of Fame
From the enemy here...

I think Kubiak deserves real consideration for coach of the year. To get to 9-3with the worst injuries to key players all season is a tribute to Kubiak and his staff, as well as insane good depth.

Deflect praise to Wade Philips if you must, but the buck always starts and stops with the head coach, so he should get the kudos.

GNTLEWOLF

Rookie
Well stated. You have captured my feelings here very well. I was an ardant supporter of Kubiak when he came here. Since then I have been disappointed to say the least. I am glad this season is going as it is. The win today against a quality team in the Falcons has finally made me a believer that this season is more than smoke mirrors and weak schedule.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From the enemy here...

I think Kubiak deserves real consideration for coach of the year. To get to 9-3with the worst injuries to key players all season is a tribute to Kubiak and his staff, as well as insane good depth.
I'm not falling in love (again) with Gary Kubiak just yet. This team has never given up on him, I give him credit for that. This team has been overcoming adversity all year long, I give him credit for that. But that's the job of the head-coach & his job is far from over. Even though it is most likely that we'll win the division, we haven't clenched it. Even though there is a possibility that we'll win a play-off game.... we haven't done it yet.

While Kubiak has done a good job overcoming adversity, a lot of the credit also has to go with the players & that means Rick Smith. Last year we were talking about how talentless this team was. Earlier this season we were looking at the WR2 position & blaming Rick Smith for doing such a poor job.

But they found a way to win, found a way to overcome. We've got "problems" in all sorts of areas on this team, which I think is helping us overcome the adversity we've seen.

Our starting full-back..... Casey/Vickers? Starting RB... Foster/Tate (I know it's Foster's job, but Tate ain't no slouch). WR2, Jacoby/Walter honestly, they're doing that job as well as you could hope for. TE... Dressen/Daniels (again that's ODs job but there isn't a huge drop off to go to Dressen). MLB Cushing/Demeco..... OLB, Barwin/Reed look like starters, we got people wanting to trade away Mario..... CB2, Allen/Kareem not great, but getting the job done.

I'm just luv'n this team.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The Texans are over achievers, that's for sure. Considering what has happened this year, the fact we are now 9-3 shows that. I been in the fire Kubiak club for several years now, but I have to say, he's done this year what I did not expect him capable of.

Four games to go, let's see what happens. :texflag:

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
He'll definitely be in the conversation. I think Harbaugh from SF is the front runner, but if the Texans continue to win with TJ Yates as QB then Kubiak may just get it.

I'm kind of excited to see Kubiak get the gatorade bath from the players whenever we clinch the division. I've criticized him plenty the last year or two, but he deserves some of the credit for this season too. I'm also glad that we have a team good enough to give the coach a gatorade bath.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Kubiak, coach of the year?....

Can you imagine how many asses that would chap? LOL.

God, this season has been enjoyable for me in sooooo many ways. ;)

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
You even dropped the sig pic, too.

LOL.

Is this you (see below) Tex? Just teasing, btw.

You know, I can see why the injuries to our key players and having a 3rd string QB manage to play decently and get us the plays we needed can earn Kubiak a HCOTY award. It's alright by me.
It had to get dropped at this point. THe banner hasn't left my data base though. This is one season. Kubiak needs to continue down this path going forward and give us some consistency of winning. I've given him props for this season. I haven't forgotten about his last 5 years though. If he can put together two back to back seasons like this though, that will put me in his corner completely. One season doesn't do that, especially when Wade is the bigger reason for the improvement here. I'll give him props for this season though. We have to be fair. We've asked for a team that could play to it's potential, and they've not only done that this year, but they have over achieved.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
wow...weren't you just bustin' my balls a couple of days ago for trying to remain optimistic in spite of "objective analysis"? :fingergun: just yanking your chain, man.

I think Harbaugh should get it for a one year turnaround. Kubiak has been building this team for 6 years, and if we are honest about it, he's lucky that our owner has the loyalty of a dog and the patience of a cat....that, and he listens to the advice of one Oail Andrew "Bum" Phillips about his genius son.

I do think Kubiak has done a good job this year, though, and it appears that learning on the job has paid off. His skill at taking care of the QB position has been invaluable, and he certainly deserves a lot of credit for it.

GP

Go Texans!
It had to get dropped at this point. THe banner hasn't left my data base though. This is one season. Kubiak needs to continue down this path going forward and give us some consistency of winning. I've given him props for this season. I haven't forgotten about his last 5 years though. If he can put together two back to back seasons like this though, that will put me in his corner completely. One season doesn't do that, especially when Wade is the bigger reason for the improvement here. I'll give him props for this season though. We have to be fair. We've asked for a team that could play to it's potential, and they've not only done that this year, but they have over achieved.
I agree. I really do.

After the way Yates played, it was evident that this season is ALREADY a success and we're finally getting some "return on investment" so to speak.

I still obviously want us to win the division. But if somehow the Texans have an extended brain fart and the Titans find a crazy way to win the rest of their games and edge us out for the title...I won't be mad. I won't. I won't be on here cursing Kubiak or McNair. Everyone has done their jobs this season, and they've answered the bell every round.

To me, with the way injuries have happened...especially at QB...to be 9-3 right now, and to be talked about as being in the same tier as Steelers/Patriots/Ravens???? When has THAT ever happened before? Never, until now.

Another big draft, retaining key free agents, etc., and a healthier year in 2012 just might do the trick. Sure, this season isn't over yet...but I am prepared to be pretty happy at what we accomplished considering last season AND the injury bug of this season.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
wow...weren't you just bustin' my balls a couple of days ago for trying to remain optimistic in spite of "objective analysis"? :fingergun: just yanking your chain, man.

I think Harbaugh should get it for a one year turnaround. Kubiak has been building this team for 6 years, and if we are honest about it, he's lucky that our owner has the loyalty of a dog and the patience of a cat....that, and he listens to the advice of one Oail Andrew "Bum" Phillips about his genius son.

I do think Kubiak has done a good job this year, though, and it appears that learning on the job has paid off. His skill at taking care of the QB position has been invaluable, and he certainly deserves a lot of credit for it.
Well that's why I've stated that we're overachieving right now. I picked us to lose yesterday, and we found a way to win despite our circumstances and losing AJ once again. I still don't like our chances in the post season, but whatever we get I'll be pretty happy with the season over all. We just keep having to deal with blow after blow injury wise. Right after Yates starts getting a little confidence, he loses AJ AGAIN!! This is season is just unreal as far as injuries go.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well that's why I've stated that we're overachieving right now. I picked us to lose yesterday, and we found a way to win despite our circumstances and losing AJ once again. I still don't like our chances in the post season, but whatever we get I'll be pretty happy with the season over all. We just keep having to deal with blow after blow injury wise. Right after Yates starts getting a little confidence, he loses AJ AGAIN!! This is season is just unreal as far as injuries go.
It is unreal to see these injuries to our best players but still win games.

It's great to see them working and believing as a team. They refuse to lose, and now on 6-in-a-row, I think momentum carries and they wrap up the franchise's first division title in the next couple of weeks. Then it's just playing for position it the playoffs.

I'm not counting them out of the playoffs, at least for the first game at Reliant. With that defense and homefield advantage with the crowd, I think they are capable of beating just about any team.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

In all honesty, there isn't much difference between the turnaround going on in San Francisco & the turnaround going on here. The biggest difference is that Harbough wasn't their for the first 6 years.

Just like us, they've been adding talent & trying to change the losing culture. While it looks good in San Francisco, we don't know what they are going to look like next year.

We have no clue what these Texans are going to look like either, but I'm pretty sure the team is not going to quit on Gary Kubiak. They've had some highs & lows, missed players had some bad apples..... & they're still playing their hearts out.

I don't know what's going to happen in San Francisco when they experience a two game losing streak, or a Frank Gore misses three games... or a Patrick Willis for that matter.

Winning is great & it's the end-all-be-all of the NFL, but there's a million things that goes into winning one game & the HC's job is to make it all work.

& While I thought Kubiak had over-stayed his welcome... while I thought he should have been let go before this season started, I actually hope more teams will tough it out with "good" coaches in the future.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
It is unreal to see these injuries to our best players but still win games.

It's great to see them working and believing as a team. They refuse to lose, and now on 6-in-a-row, I think momentum carries and they wrap up the franchise's first division title in the next couple of weeks. Then it's just playing for position it the playoffs.

I'm not counting them out of the playoffs, at least for the first game at Reliant. With that defense and homefield advantage with the crowd, I think they are capable of beating just about any team.
Yeah, they're playing with a strong chip on their shoulder finally, and it's fun to watch. I love this constant pressure from these young guys, and it's what I've wanted to see out of Mario for years as a pass rusher. These young guys are motors that just don't stop. If we get in a close game, no doubt we can pull out a win against possibly anyone. Either way, I'll just be along for the ride and won't expect much as far as the playoffs go. I'll just take each game as they come and enjoy the first real football team this franchise has put together that we've all been waiting for going on ten years now.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I still obviously want us to win the division. But if somehow the Texans have an extended brain fart and the Titans find a crazy way to win the rest of their games and edge us out for the title...I won't be mad. I won't. I won't be on here cursing Kubiak or McNair. Everyone has done their jobs this season, and they've answered the bell every round.
Injuries & all that... I can't give into the "this is already a success" I might give him a pass if we don't finish winning the division, but it's not going to change my mind about Gary's ability to get us to the Championship game.

If we get two more wins.... 11 wins with what we've got here, then I'll start leaning that way. But we built ourselves a pretty good lead with the majority of the team intact. Losing the QB & the second string QB is the only reason I've lowered the bar (from AFC Champs).

I'm not pulling 11 wins out of my butt or anything, that's what we need to win this division if Tennessee takes care of business & if you go back you'll see I've been saying Tennessee is capable of winning 10 games just as easily as we are (they had practically the same schedule).

If it comes down to Jan 1, Tenn@Hou & we lose that game, I personally would prefer another head coach in 2012.

Is that too harsh? Unrealistic?

I don't think so. Indy & Jacksonville laid down & Tennessee without Chris Johnson (even though he was there) is similar to us with our various injury issues.

But Tennessee won't win 10 games? If they beat NO, they'll be on track to win 11. Jan 1 will become a must win for us if we don't win two before then. Heck, that means we have got to win at least 1 game before Jan 1.

We're on a role now & I can't imagine not winning two more games.

But this is far from over.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Did you check the respective records?
Last year the niners were 6-10.
The year before they were 8-8.
Same as us.

The current Niner team has been in the works since 2005 when they drafted Frank Gore and Alex Smith. The next year, 2006, they added Vernon Davis; their pro bowl TE. The next year, 2007, they got Patrick Willis and Joe Staley - one pro bowler and one solid starter.

I could go on. But the point is, the current Niner team was in the works starting in 2005 a year before Kubiak got here.

The only difference is that all the talking heads (and most likely us fans too) wrote off the Niners because they had been mediocre for the past who-knows-how-long plus everyone believed Alex Smith was a bust.

With Manning out, everyone kind of expected us to take over the division because we were the lesser of the other three evils. Rookie QB in Jagsland. Old and thought to be washed up QB in Tennessee.

Harbaugh has done a good job but he had some good tools in place to work with. He appears to have worked a miracle until you take a closer look and see he inherited a pretty decent team. Singletary instilled pride. All Harbaugh had to do was turn Alex Smith into a game manager and let Frank Gore and Vernon Davis make enough plays to carry the offensive load.

Let me put it this way; Harbaugh was in charge of the 2011 draft right? Are any of the guys that HE PICKED making a significant impact? I can't think of one.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let me put it this way; Harbaugh was in charge of the 2011 draft right? Are any of the guys that HE PICKED making a significant impact? I can't think of one.
So he took existing players, and just by his own force of will, made them play at a level that far exceeded anyone's expectations and their own history?

Sounds like a coach of the year candidate to me! :thinking:

BTW, I'm not down on Kubiak. But let's be honest: he's only coaching half the team now. :winky:

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
eh..... IMO, the 49ers are a 12-4 team like the 2010 Bucs were a 10-6 team. The only impressive win they have so far....... the Giants. We'll see how far they fall next year.

By the same token, injuries or not, I'm taking the 9-3 Texans with a grain of salt. Kubiak doesn't need to be considered for coach of the year until we win a couple of play-off games (one of them will probably be against Tebow).

But this is a regular season award.... & they both should be in the conversation.
They have wins @Cincy, @Detroit, NYG for quality wins. Losses @Balt and vs Dallas. Still a good resume overall. Texans quality wins are vs Steelers, @ Tenn, vs Atlanta. Rather comparable in general, but the big difference is that Harbaugh is doing it as a rookie coach and Kubiak has taken 6 years go get there. It's the same reason I wouldn't even nominate Marvin Lewis for the award because he's been in Cincy so long it's pointless to say 'good job on finally having a winning season'.

If the Packers go 16-0 though, I think you have to give it to McCarthy. That's just amazing for any team to do, and it takes tremendous coaching and talent on the field to be perfect for that many games.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If the Packers go 16-0 though, I think you have to give it to McCarthy. That's just amazing for any team to do, and it takes tremendous coaching and talent on the field to be perfect for that many games.
That's a great point, especially considering they've got that target on their back as SB champions this season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They have wins @Cincy, @Detroit, NYG for quality wins. Losses @Balt and vs Dallas. Still a good resume overall. Texans quality wins are vs Steelers, @ Tenn, vs Atlanta. Rather comparable in general, but the big difference is that Harbaugh is doing it as a rookie coach and Kubiak has taken 6 years go get there. It's the same reason I wouldn't even nominate Marvin Lewis for the award because he's been in Cincy so long it's pointless to say 'good job on finally having a winning season'.

Well, I think a lot of people ignore that it did not take Kubiak 6 years to get a winning season. It took him 4 years to get a winning season after taking over a broken expansion team. Two years after that, & we are here.

If you're telling me Jim Harbaugh could've taken over the 2006 Texans & had them at 10-1 that year, I'm calling BS. & that's the point I (& I believe ObsiWan) am trying to make.

I think.