Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak hands down. If he's going to take the blame in defeat then he gets the glory in victory.

Wade has been tremendous though and if kubiak won he should at the least acknowledge he is splitting it with wade.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whether you like it or not, but Kubiak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I have to give credit where it's due this year, and I've wanted Gary to make me say this for years. Finally there has been a regular season that he can hang his hat on. I do realize that it's been mainly due to Wade Phillips, but he is still the HC of this team and that is who the award goes to. I'd take Harbaugh first, but the Niners haven't dealt with anything close to what the Texans have injury wise and we're still on a winning streak. We're over achieving and I like it.
You even dropped the sig pic, too.

LOL.

Is this you (see below) Tex? Just teasing, btw.

You know, I can see why the injuries to our key players and having a 3rd string QB manage to play decently and get us the plays we needed can earn Kubiak a HCOTY award. It's alright by me.
Old 12-05-2011   #23
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

i think every one knows it will be Jim Harbaugh.. if wade phillips was the head coach then of coarse he would get it..not sure if they have a defensive coordinator award??
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #24
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how it's anyone besides Jim Harbaugh.

That said, what Gary (and Wade, obviously) has done this year has been nothing short of spectacular.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #25
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post

That said, what Gary (and Wade, obviously) has done this year has been nothing short of spectacular.
If the season ended today, I don't see how it's anyone besides Mike Mcarthy. I think if you go the regular season undefeated, you have to be coach of the year.

I would give 2nd place to Kubiak, though. In 2010, 49ers and Texans were 6-10. They are now only one game apart, so the improvement is similar. I also think the Texans had a slightly tougher schedule. But the cherry on top are the injuries. Texans have played majority of their games without their best player (AJ) and their best defensive player (Mario), not to mention Foster basically missing 3 games. And now we're down to our 3rd string rookie QB, but still finds ways to win?

I wanted Kubiak gone last season just like everyone else, but I'm calling it like I see it this season.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #26
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Packers were expected to be great though.

For one coach to come in, completely change the culture of the team, turn Alex Smith into something good, and to be what 2nd in the NFC? Especially for a rookie coach making the jump from college to the pros?

I could see Kubiak being 2nd or third place behind Harbaugh and McCarthy.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Jim Harbaugh for sure. He took a 6-10 team and turned them into a 10-2 team so far, and I expect them to be at least 12-4 at the end of the season. Kubiak winning the award would be laughable as he hasn't really done anything different this year, it's defense that changed the culture of the organization.
eh..... IMO, the 49ers are a 12-4 team like the 2010 Bucs were a 10-6 team. The only impressive win they have so far....... the Giants. We'll see how far they fall next year.

By the same token, injuries or not, I'm taking the 9-3 Texans with a grain of salt. Kubiak doesn't need to be considered for coach of the year until we win a couple of play-off games (one of them will probably be against Tebow).

But this is a regular season award.... & they both should be in the conversation.
Old 12-05-2011   #28
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

he definitely deserves to be in the conversation... hes done a great job this year. the whole team has
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #29
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

After years of poor defenses and poor DCs, Kubiak has taken tons of blame because, ultimately, the product on the field is his responsibility.

Now, after the defense starts playing well, Kubiak suddenly has no part of the defensive improvement. If you take blame when things are bad, you deserve praise when things are good.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #30
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
The Packers were expected to be great though.

For one coach to come in, completely change the culture of the team, turn Alex Smith into something good, and to be what 2nd in the NFC? Especially for a rookie coach making the jump from college to the pros?

I could see Kubiak being 2nd or third place behind Harbaugh and McCarthy.
Neither Harbaugh nor McCarthy are winning with 2nd and 3rd string QBs or with their principal offensive weapon on the sideline for half the year.

Singletary had started instilling a winner's pride in that team when he got there in 2008; Harbaugh simply picked up where Samurai Mike left off. And being a former QB, he knew that Alex Smith just needed the right kind of guidance and an offense that didn't rely on him carrying the team but used Frank Gore and the defense that Singletary and Mike Nolan had put together.

Speaking of their defense, I saw where they had to help Patrick Willis off the field today. Let's see how they fare without the heart of that defense on the field.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #31
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

From the enemy here...

I think Kubiak deserves real consideration for coach of the year. To get to 9-3with the worst injuries to key players all season is a tribute to Kubiak and his staff, as well as insane good depth.

Deflect praise to Wade Philips if you must, but the buck always starts and stops with the head coach, so he should get the kudos.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #32
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
I have to give credit where it's due this year, and I've wanted Gary to make me say this for years. Finally there has been a regular season that he can hang his hat on. I do realize that it's been mainly due to Wade Phillips, but he is still the HC of this team and that is who the award goes to. I'd take Harbaugh first, but the Niners haven't dealt with anything close to what the Texans have injury wise and we're still on a winning streak. We're over achieving and I like it.
Well stated. You have captured my feelings here very well. I was an ardant supporter of Kubiak when he came here. Since then I have been disappointed to say the least. I am glad this season is going as it is. The win today against a quality team in the Falcons has finally made me a believer that this season is more than smoke mirrors and weak schedule.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
From the enemy here...

I think Kubiak deserves real consideration for coach of the year. To get to 9-3with the worst injuries to key players all season is a tribute to Kubiak and his staff, as well as insane good depth.
I'm not falling in love (again) with Gary Kubiak just yet. This team has never given up on him, I give him credit for that. This team has been overcoming adversity all year long, I give him credit for that. But that's the job of the head-coach & his job is far from over. Even though it is most likely that we'll win the division, we haven't clenched it. Even though there is a possibility that we'll win a play-off game.... we haven't done it yet.

While Kubiak has done a good job overcoming adversity, a lot of the credit also has to go with the players & that means Rick Smith. Last year we were talking about how talentless this team was. Earlier this season we were looking at the WR2 position & blaming Rick Smith for doing such a poor job.

But they found a way to win, found a way to overcome. We've got "problems" in all sorts of areas on this team, which I think is helping us overcome the adversity we've seen.

Our starting full-back..... Casey/Vickers? Starting RB... Foster/Tate (I know it's Foster's job, but Tate ain't no slouch). WR2, Jacoby/Walter honestly, they're doing that job as well as you could hope for. TE... Dressen/Daniels (again that's ODs job but there isn't a huge drop off to go to Dressen). MLB Cushing/Demeco..... OLB, Barwin/Reed look like starters, we got people wanting to trade away Mario..... CB2, Allen/Kareem not great, but getting the job done.

I'm just luv'n this team.
Old 12-05-2011   #34
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans are over achievers, that's for sure. Considering what has happened this year, the fact we are now 9-3 shows that. I been in the fire Kubiak club for several years now, but I have to say, he's done this year what I did not expect him capable of.

Four games to go, let's see what happens.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Winning with TJ Yates has to give him some recognition.
Old 12-05-2011   #36
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

He'll definitely be in the conversation. I think Harbaugh from SF is the front runner, but if the Texans continue to win with TJ Yates as QB then Kubiak may just get it.

I'm kind of excited to see Kubiak get the gatorade bath from the players whenever we clinch the division. I've criticized him plenty the last year or two, but he deserves some of the credit for this season too. I'm also glad that we have a team good enough to give the coach a gatorade bath.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #37
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak, coach of the year?....

Can you imagine how many asses that would chap? LOL.

God, this season has been enjoyable for me in sooooo many ways.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #38
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You even dropped the sig pic, too.

LOL.

Is this you (see below) Tex? Just teasing, btw.

You know, I can see why the injuries to our key players and having a 3rd string QB manage to play decently and get us the plays we needed can earn Kubiak a HCOTY award. It's alright by me.
It had to get dropped at this point. THe banner hasn't left my data base though. This is one season. Kubiak needs to continue down this path going forward and give us some consistency of winning. I've given him props for this season. I haven't forgotten about his last 5 years though. If he can put together two back to back seasons like this though, that will put me in his corner completely. One season doesn't do that, especially when Wade is the bigger reason for the improvement here. I'll give him props for this season though. We have to be fair. We've asked for a team that could play to it's potential, and they've not only done that this year, but they have over achieved.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #39
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
wow...weren't you just bustin' my balls a couple of days ago for trying to remain optimistic in spite of "objective analysis"? just yanking your chain, man.

I think Harbaugh should get it for a one year turnaround. Kubiak has been building this team for 6 years, and if we are honest about it, he's lucky that our owner has the loyalty of a dog and the patience of a cat....that, and he listens to the advice of one Oail Andrew "Bum" Phillips about his genius son.

I do think Kubiak has done a good job this year, though, and it appears that learning on the job has paid off. His skill at taking care of the QB position has been invaluable, and he certainly deserves a lot of credit for it.
Old 12-05-2011   #40
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It had to get dropped at this point. THe banner hasn't left my data base though. This is one season. Kubiak needs to continue down this path going forward and give us some consistency of winning. I've given him props for this season. I haven't forgotten about his last 5 years though. If he can put together two back to back seasons like this though, that will put me in his corner completely. One season doesn't do that, especially when Wade is the bigger reason for the improvement here. I'll give him props for this season though. We have to be fair. We've asked for a team that could play to it's potential, and they've not only done that this year, but they have over achieved.
I agree. I really do.

After the way Yates played, it was evident that this season is ALREADY a success and we're finally getting some "return on investment" so to speak.

I still obviously want us to win the division. But if somehow the Texans have an extended brain fart and the Titans find a crazy way to win the rest of their games and edge us out for the title...I won't be mad. I won't. I won't be on here cursing Kubiak or McNair. Everyone has done their jobs this season, and they've answered the bell every round.

To me, with the way injuries have happened...especially at QB...to be 9-3 right now, and to be talked about as being in the same tier as Steelers/Patriots/Ravens???? When has THAT ever happened before? Never, until now.

Another big draft, retaining key free agents, etc., and a healthier year in 2012 just might do the trick. Sure, this season isn't over yet...but I am prepared to be pretty happy at what we accomplished considering last season AND the injury bug of this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read