Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-04-2011   #21
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36873 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak not watching crucial plays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
hell Fox kicked off the last 8 seconds for me
They pulled a Kubiak POV?
Old 12-04-2011   #22
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

WGAS. Really. Are we really going to fuss about this? No offense Mr. OP. You know what's more silly than Kubes looking away? Worrying about it.

Seriously, I don't care if he wears a pink tutu and hops around on 1 foot during crucial plays- just win games with good decisions.

MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #23
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
WGAS. Really. Are we really going to fuss about this? No offense Mr. OP. You know what's more silly than Kubes looking away? Worrying about it.

Seriously, I don't care if he wears a pink tutu and hops around on 1 foot during crucial plays- just win games with good decisions.

So that's what Kubes is thinking about.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

You two guys slamming the "OP" do understand that he OWNS this board, right? He started it, nursed it, taught it to walk, and is now enjoying watching it grow up (arguably, LOL).

The guy knows a helluva' lot about football AND this team AND all of the thousands of opinions and ideas about our team that have been posted on here the past 10 years.

For the record, I've always been of the OPINION that Kubiak not watching critical plays is one of the nerdiest things the guy can do. Hey, YOU are the freaking head coach. Watch the play. You aren't going to decide its outcome by watching or not watching. Gary Kubiak: Don't you want to soak it all in, one way or another, and live in the moment or what???

I watch every single droplet of Texans football I can. Why? Because I was an Oilers fan and had the team moved to Tennessee. Because win , lose , or draw I'm going to see how it happened and know that I was watching the whole time. ESPECIALLY this season, man oh man it's like watching Top 10 Amazing Finishes show or something...you never know who is going to step up and make big plays to save the game, or HOW we're going to end up winning the game at all.

But the HC can't watch the last play. It's bizarre. He can have it how he wants it, I ultimately don't care. I just find it strangely fascinating that the Texans HC can't stand to watch the game-deciding play and has to have his GM tell him what just happened. Very odd, indeed. LOL.

And to the "OP," I appreciate you bringing this topic back up. I didn't pay attention to that part and can't even remember if they showed a clip of him looking away from the HORRIFIC last play that eyes of glory shall not dare cast its gaze upon.
Old 12-05-2011   #25
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 99855 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
You two guys slamming the "OP" do understand that he OWNS this board, right? He started it, nursed it, taught it to walk, and is now enjoying watching it grow up (arguably, LOL).
I appreciate the backup there GP, however I should be fair game just like anyone else.

As far as the original subject goes I have been annoyed by it every since I realized he was doing this on a regular basis. Sure, it annoys me a LOT less when the team is winning, so let me make that clear. However that ESPN story brought it back to my attention and I find it a little absurd that Rick Smith had to tell him what happened.

I don't disagree with anyone's take in this thread and I can see all of their views. However I stand by my opinion that I think it sends the wrong message to the players.

To me the HC is supposed to be like a commanding general on the field. Imagine for example during the Civil War if a general commanded his men to charge the enemy lines and they noticed him covering his eyes because he couldn't bear to watch. You want to think your leader is standing tall in the saddle watching you off to victory.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #26
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I appreciate the backup there GP, however I should be fair game just like anyone else.

As far as the original subject goes I have been annoyed by it every since I realized he was doing this on a regular basis. Sure, it annoys me a LOT less when the team is winning, so let me make that clear. However that ESPN story brought it back to my attention and I find it a little absurd that Rick Smith had to tell him what happened.

I don't disagree with anyone's take in this thread and I can see all of their views. However I stand by my opinion that I think it sends the wrong message to the players.

To me the HC is supposed to be like a commanding general on the field. Imagine for example during the Civil War if a general commanded his men to charge the enemy lines and they noticed him covering his eyes because he couldn't bear to watch. You want to think your leader is standing tall in the saddle watching you off to victory.
I completely agree with your admission that your opinion is not more important than any other poster's, just because of your status. And I don't really agree with it, haha.

I think the thing that makes us uneasy about this situation is that it makes us question Kubiak's confidence in the team. If he can't watch the last second of the game because he's afraid the team is going to fail, how can the players have confidence in themselves?

But I definitely think Kubiak has confidence in his players and in his team. Going for it on 4th down today in the red-zone was a statement that he not only has confidence that his team will execute, but that he expects that his team will. They WILL get that 1-yard. He wouldn't call it if he didn't have confidence.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
meh. kubiak appears to avoid emotional swings unless he has something to say to the refs. whether superstition or prayer or trust or insecurity ... i hardly see how it affects anything at all.

after 6 seasons i'm suprised anyone cares, i'm sure the players and coaches dont.
There was another coach from way back that used to do the same thing. I can't remember who he was, but Kubiak isn't the first to do this.

It's not like watching is going to change the outcome.
Old 12-05-2011   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
However I stand by my opinion that I think it sends the wrong message to the players.
You can't tell by the way they respond.
Old 12-05-2011   #29
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

My only beef with Kube's not watching plays is that it's HIS JOB to be aware of what is happening on the field.

Heaven forbid if there is some sort of whackadoodle incident that he needs to argue/challenge. How is he possibly putting himself in the best position to effectively coach the team by not watching the play?
Old 12-05-2011   #30
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Heh, never thought I'd see this subject pop up while on a 6 game winning streak. Kudos for sticking to your guns I suppose. Talking about negative qualities of Kubiak and bringing up his inability to watch crucial plays as being a big deal seems very Skip Bayless to me. And what I mean by that is: Can't you picture Skip Bayless saying something like "Gary Kubiak is a terrible head coach because he is not man enough to watch a crucial play."
Old 12-05-2011   #31
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Heh, never thought I'd see this subject pop up while on a 6 game winning streak. Kudos for sticking to your guns I suppose. Talking about negative qualities of Kubiak and bringing up his inability to watch crucial plays as being a big deal seems very Skip Bayless to me. And what I mean by that is: Can't you picture Skip Bayless saying something like "Gary Kubiak is a terrible head coach because he is not man enough to watch a crucial play."
I don't see that as the theme in this thread, at least not without any indication of sarcasm. For the most part it's observational comments that many of us share common interest in whether for or against his quirky ways.
Old 12-05-2011   #32
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

This is Houston Sports ..... Snakebit , you almost expect something to go wrong just because its a Houston team.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #33
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I've seen Kubes turn away from critical plays before, but it's never bothered me. I had other reasons to dislike him, but now, I've got lots of reasons to like him instead. So, if I get to weighted on the I Like side, and needs a reason to DisLike just for balance, I may use this.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #34
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

All I care about is his input on what actually happens. Whether he watches it or not doesn't concern me at all. The guy's under a lot of pressure and he knows and cares that all of the players, coordinators, etc. are too. I could see myself doing that if I were in his position, because sometimes the weight of it all and what could happen good or bad in the next few seconds would just hit me like a ton of bricks.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #35
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I put it in the category of "things my wife does that annoy me, but really don't matter much."
Old 12-05-2011   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
All I care about is his input on what actually happens. Whether he watches it or not doesn't concern me at all. The guy's under a lot of pressure and he knows and cares that all of the players, coordinators, etc. are too. I could see myself doing that if I were in his position, because sometimes the weight of it all and what could happen good or bad in the next few seconds would just hit me like a ton of bricks.
I think he mentioned once, that it's to prevent him from being too knee jerk.

Like someone else mentioned, it's about that even Keel he presents, which he thinks helps the team not panic.
Old 12-05-2011   #37
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 629 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
My only beef with Kube's not watching plays is that it's HIS JOB to be aware of what is happening on the field.

Heaven forbid if there is some sort of whackadoodle incident that he needs to argue/challenge. How is he possibly putting himself in the best position to effectively coach the team by not watching the play?
If it is the last play of the game, he can't challenge it anyway - all challenges in the last 2 mins come from the booth. It is also the last play of the game, so it is not like the outcome of that play dictates the next play call.

As for Kubiak turning around, I personally do not mind it. If he is the personalty type that has a minor heart attack every time in one of these situations, it is probably better for his health to turn around. I understand what some people are saying about him being the leader, but to me it does not quite apply because of how it plays out.

Once Kubiak has called in the play, thats all he can control. From there on out it is up to the players to execute. That does not mean he expects his players to fail, but there are things outside of his control, as as someone else said, what he does no longer affects if we win or lose.
Old 12-05-2011   #38
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Boy it obviously effects our players greatly...
Old 12-05-2011   #39
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have much of an issue with this. Everybody's different and show emotions differently. I think I'd do the same thing. Heck, my BP and stomach were doing cart wheels at the end of the game yesterday. And I was trying to talk to my contractor at the same time. Dude probably thought I was a space cadet until I explained to him what was up.
Old 12-05-2011   #40
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't control what other people do, you can only control your reaction to others.

Relationship advice.

Own the problem, it if Kubiak's actions bother you, then you need to work on your reactions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read