Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #121
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When do we end the Kareem experiment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think your first paragraph answers the following question ...... There are only a few lockdown corners in the NFL ..... and even they get beat. Look at how the Bills attacked Revis last week (Despite the Jets finding a way to win).
EVERYONE gets beat, Corrosion. That's not even a logical point for anybody to try and debate.

I'm talking about snap-by-snap consistency and trustworthiness in terms of your Cornerback being smart from the pre-snap read, to the snap and how you handle things, to the decisions you make in a split-second, and then how you finish off the play.

To that extent, a guy like Joseph or Revis or whomever is a talent that is what you need at CB. KJ had no choice where he was chosen in the draft, but he was chosen in the first round and I'd assume he's fine with that selection spot too. I'm sure he desires to be in the same tier as the guys we're listing as being top-flight CBs.

So we need to get past the issues of "expectations" and talk about reality and where he is and where he probably wants to BE someday. Right now, the guy is splitting snaps at 50-50 with Jason Allen. And a guy who is splitting snaps with him has been in better positions AND made many more interceptions than KJ has.

I'm fine with praising the guy, and I have done so a lot. Great run support, great on the shallow stuff, seems to have a work ethic and blah blah blah. But I won't sit here and pile in with the crowd and say, "Man, he looks better than last year!" He does? Why? Because he's a part of the #1 defense? I need more than that.

Year 3 will be interesting. Do we keep the 50-50 split with KJ, or does Wade during off-season film review and during camps and preseason make KJ the full-blown CB2 or does Wade go with someone else entirely? Should be interesting. I'm always expecting the best out of KJ, though.
Old 12-05-2011   #122
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
And yesterday our OL didn't really have their best game either. 3 false starts are the absolutely worst time, one of the worst hits on a QB I've seen all year, with just a complete whiff by Eric Winston.. It wasn't pretty for them at all yesterday, but we won..
Nope , it wasnt pretty by any stretch of the imagination .... and it seemed to drag on forever especially considering they ran the ball 44 times.

I'll take an ugly win over any snakebit loss we were subjected to last season all day long and twice on Sundays.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #123
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
And yesterday our OL didn't really have their best game either. 3 false starts are the absolutely worst time, one of the worst hits on a QB I've seen all year, with just a complete whiff by Eric Winston.. It wasn't pretty for them at all yesterday, but we won..
I was thinking about something last night: I know--we all know--that all players "play with injuries." My concern is that our offensive line is bang'd up and limited on game day with the nagging aches and pains they've accumulated all season long.

Fatigue, injuries and aches and pains, it just adds up over time. Winston and Myers looked much sharper earlier in the season. The past three games, a few brain farts and some missed blocks that have been costly.

It's being nit picky, I know, but it's just the nature of being a fan. You want your strong guys to always be what you envision them as being, and I've just noticed some sloppy play that is noticeable to me but is probably normal for the average NFL player who goes through torture all season long. For MY entertainment, btw. LOL.
Old 12-05-2011   #124
GP 
Go Texans!

I don't think I agree with the title of the thread, for what that's worth.

I don't see it as ending an experiment. And I think this sort of label is unfair given the timing of how we're 9-3 and got 4 games to go in order to win or first AFC South Title in team history.

Honestly, I like the 50-50 split we're seeing. It's working. Let it continue to work, IMO. Then let's see what camp and preseason have to offer.

But until then, we just roll with what we got and talk about this in March or April when it's dead as hell in the NFL realm.
Old 12-05-2011   #125
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
EVERYONE gets beat, Corrosion. That's not even a logical point for anybody to try and debate.

I'm talking about snap-by-snap consistency and trustworthiness in terms of your Cornerback being smart from the pre-snap read, to the snap and how you handle things, to the decisions you make in a split-second, and then how you finish off the play.

To that extent, a guy like Joseph or Revis or whomever is a talent that is what you need at CB. KJ had no choice where he was chosen in the draft, but he was chosen in the first round and I'd assume he's fine with that selection spot too. I'm sure he desires to be in the same tier as the guys we're listing as being top-flight CBs.

So we need to get past the issues of "expectations" and talk about reality and where he is and where he probably wants to BE someday. Right now, the guy is splitting snaps at 50-50 with Jason Allen. And a guy who is splitting snaps with him has been in better positions AND made many more interceptions than KJ has.

I'm fine with praising the guy, and I have done so a lot. Great run support, great on the shallow stuff, seems to have a work ethic and blah blah blah. But I won't sit here and pile in with the crowd and say, "Man, he looks better than last year!" He does? Why? Because he's a part of the #1 defense? I need more than that.

Year 3 will be interesting. Do we keep the 50-50 split with KJ, or does Wade during off-season film review and during camps and preseason make KJ the full-blown CB2 or does Wade go with someone else entirely? Should be interesting. I'm always expecting the best out of KJ, though.
Im just saying that there are only a very few lockdown corners in the league period .....

Based upon his draft status we might expect more but what CB over the past 4 or 5 seasons has come in and lit it up from the get go ? Patrick Peterson might be the closest to that .... but much of his impact is on ST.

Seems to me corners get better with age and experience ..... until their wheels fail them.

Whats KJ's future ? Hell if I know ..... but teams outside of NO early in the season , and make no mistake about it , Brees picked him apart , havent been able to pick on him on a consistant basis .... he's definately had help over the top and from the pass rush.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-05-2011   #126
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think I agree with the title of the thread, for what that's worth.

I don't see it as ending an experiment. And I think this sort of label is unfair given the timing of how we're 9-3 and got 4 games to go in order to win or first AFC South Title in team history.

Honestly, I like the 50-50 split we're seeing. It's working. Let it continue to work, IMO. Then let's see what camp and preseason have to offer.

But until then, we just roll with what we got and talk about this in March or April when it's dead as hell in the NFL realm.
I think the expectations we had for KJ were unfair last season .... Its worked out this season but last year I put the heat on Rick Smith for not bringing in a vet presence on the back end ..... then again , there wasnt much available.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-05-2011   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
2. Why is it unfair to have CB1 expectations of him? Is it just because it's impossible to have TWO exceptional CBs on the field? Did I miss the NFL rule that says a team can only have ONE outstanding top-flight CB and the CB2 must be someone of lesser talent than the CB1???
It is not unfair to have CB1 expectations of KJac. It's unfair to expect him to be flawless at this point in his career.
Old 12-05-2011   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Based on your observation of the way he plays, do you think he's ready to be that guy?
Old 12-05-2011   #129
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18240 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

When Kareem falls down we can blame the turf at Reliant.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #130
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...as-at-his-best

KJ picture in the article shows he had an impact on Julio Jones dropping the ball. He contested the the ball
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #131
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Based on your observation of the way he plays, do you think he's ready to be that guy?
I'm not gp but I'd say no.

Hes getting there though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #132
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'm not gp but I'd say no.

Hes getting there though.
He's made significant improvement since the start of the year ..... Remember how Brees targeted him over and over in the 4th quarter of that game , that hasnt happened since. Im sure a big portion of that is the pass rush but he's been better as well. (The only guy who wasnt fooled on the flea flicker???? REALLY ?!)

I dont think I want him taking 90% of the snaps yet ..... but if he continues as he has thus far , eventually he'll be that guy .... and Ive hated and ragged on him quite a bit.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 12-06-2011   #133
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...as-at-his-best

KJ picture in the article shows he had an impact on Julio Jones dropping the ball. He contested the the ball
Thanks for the article. I too had difficulty reading the play as it looked from one angle KJ got hand on ball, but on a subsequent view it seemed like Julio just dropped it. The picture in this article seems to show KJ touching ball. Either way it was good defense. I have found myself praising KJ last few games & then explaining myself to others watching with me as they don't know my history of critizing KJ.
Old 12-06-2011   #134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks for the article. I too had difficulty reading the play as it looked from one angle KJ got hand on ball, but on a subsequent view it seemed like Julio just dropped it. The picture in this article seems to show KJ touching ball. Either way it was good defense. I have found myself praising KJ last few games & then explaining myself to others watching with me as they don't know my history of critizing KJ.
The picture in that article is from a different play.
Old 12-06-2011   #135
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 67440 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the last play of the game. KJ is clearly pulling on Jones left arm.

http://content.usatoday.com/topics/p...8Ki39T9Tu2eS/1
Old 12-06-2011   #136
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
by the time Kjac finally starts pulling his arm down, the ball is already out of Julios hands. Jackson had bad coverage. 76 even if he had caught that ball you would still defend Jackson. When it comes to Kjac i listen to you about as much as a 16 year old listens to their parents.

Well, actually you are dead wrong, and here's why.

KJ had Jones left arm, and by the time the play had followed through, Jones left arm was being pulled away from his right arm.

SO, even if Jones had controlled the ball initially, KJ CLEARY pulled his arms apart, THEREFOR, Jones WOULD NOT have maintained control all the way through the play.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #137
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The picture in that article is from a different play.
Well, gee thanks, now I am back to "what really happened". lol
Old 12-06-2011   #138
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 19952 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm all for doing whatever is working and if the 50-50 split is still working I say run with it. Unless, of course, there is some other factor that they can't like cap space or roster spots/greater need in other areas.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #139
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Well, gee thanks, now I am back to "what really happened". lol
He just cant give credit to KJ when its due. its from the last play.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #140
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
He just cant give credit to KJ when its due. its from the last play.
Do you know me? I'm KJ's biggest fan.

That picture is not from the last play, can't be. That's from the play Julio completed to get Atlanta to the 30 yard line.

That's from the last play.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read