Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2011   #341
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: When do we end the Kareem experiment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Can't believe there are still people defending KJ. How many big Plays does be have to give up before people realize he is J Reeves all over again? Honestly in he last two years I can count on one hand how many times he has turned,ocatex the ball and made a play on the ball. They should move him to safety and see if he has anything there warranting him holding down a roster spot.

Anyone still defending this POS is just not willing to admit they are wrong.
You need to bring it to Wade Phillips.
He's the one who not only defended, but also praised Kareem Jackson in one of the recent press conference:

Conscientious (hard worker) and talented.

It's somewhere on the HoustonTexans.com website.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #342
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Yup and my knock is wtf was Demps even doing in there? We move Quin back there and we bring in Manning and Demps is still on the mother fn field....man it just irritates me
We like to put Quin on the TE (on the other side of the field on this play).

Demps has been doing a decent job, but he simply blew his assignment on this play.
Old 12-23-2011   #343
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTuna View Post
I don't get it.

He "praised" Careem, but he has playing 50% of the time under his defense, a clear reduction of 100% when he was a rookie.

I thought to point of progression to get better as you gain more experience.. not have playing time taken away from you.
Ephraim Salaam & Duane Brown shared time when Brown was a rookie.

Brisiel & Caldwell shared time, I think Caldwell's second season.

Allen & Kareem shared time last season as well.
Old 12-23-2011   #344
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't you see the problem there?

Brown shared time when he was a rookie, he became a full-fledged starter his 2nd year.

Caldwell, not a first round pick, shared time as a rookie and has been beaten out of the RG job since.

Allen was splitting time with McCain, Careem was a full time starter.. he's going backward. Action speaks louder than words, Phillips is saying one thing and doing another. Careem is going the opposite direction that Duane Brown did.
Next year, people will be talking about how much Kareem has improved. Instead of saying 76Texan was right in the first place.

Kinda like Meyers. Two years ago he was talking about how Meyers was not playing as bad as "everyone" said he was, & that he was actually one of, if not, our best linemen.
Old 12-23-2011   #345
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Good thing we get patted down to enter Reliant. Otherwise, I might go all sniper on his azz.
Old 12-23-2011   #346
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 113379 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Good thing we get patted down to enter Reliant. Otherwise, I might go all sniper on his azz.
Don't with our sorry luck you'd hit jjo instead. Kareem is not a starter. Admit that he's your latest amobi and move on Rick.
Old 12-23-2011   #347
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Kareem is just horrible. After watching the game last night I truly believe that Brice McCain should be our number 2 CB. He is only one inch shorter and eight pounds lighter than #25. McCain played really well and made a hell of a play on Garcon if I remember correctly. Also, where the hell is Brandon Harris? He really must suck if he can't get on the field. They targeted Kareem Jackson and it worked.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2011   #348
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

What is funny is that Kareem tried to stick his arm in there against Wayne on the game-winning TD, just like Kareem did against Julio Jones.

Only difference is that Wayne did not D-R-O-P the pass like Jones did. Yeah, that's right: Eff what the official NFL stats say, Julio Jones D-R-O-P-P-E-D the ball and Wayne didn't. Result: One was a failed game-winning TD and the other was caught and won the game against us.

What else is funny: The Colts threw that pass to (a) The same spot that Matt Ryan did, and (b) against the same CB. Vance Joseph should have his ass FIRED for getting abused like that TWICE. It's HIS secondary, and he's got to know that teams are going to try to go deep on KJ and into that corner of the end zone...because Kareem has ZERO deep ball skills. He just can't do it. He has no ability to position himself and make a play on the ball, he just sticks his arm in there and looks up at the rafters of the ceiling and prays for help.

What NFL o-coord is going to target KJ on the last play of the game? All of them. Yet there he is: Alone and against a good WR in the corner of the end zone. Rinse, repeat. It's so effing simple, I can't believe it keeps happening. This is the muther-effing NFL and THIS shit keeps happening to us. It makes me sick to my stomach.

The last thing that is funny: Guys STILL riding Kareem's jock strap. This thread doesn't exist if Kareem is holding down his job properly. Where is this type of thread about JJ Watt? Brooks Reed? On and on and on....

Same old s____, different game. Different results, too. I haven't seen a guy get defended to this length, for having all this talent and "good work ethic," and no consistently GOOD results on the field since DAVID CARR. His curse lingers.
Old 12-24-2011   #349
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody else notice Molden is starting for the Pats?

I've noticed that while he still stinks it appearrs that he's better than KJ.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #350
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I hope you're not serious.

Personally, I am serious, because I've heard an NFL coach talk about it, and I have seen segment in a playbook talk about it.
It wasn't elaborated, but it was clear that you cannot attempt to locate the ball all the time.
There are times to play the earlobe, and the eyes of the receiver.

Even Mayock talked about how JJo tried to peek to locate the ball and got burned by Steve Smith in the Panthers game.
Did you read my post? When jjo gave it up to smith, smith did show or turn, he was running. Joseph tried to locate the ball against a speed guy. Kareem has shown time after time like jacquez reeves that he doesn't ever read the wr hands or helmet. At least reeves would play the hands and break up the pass. Jackson can't do either and I don't need mayock to tell me. I can get the coaches copy and watch the guy.

I didn't say anywhere kareem hasn't improved, but he's still splitting time with a safety prospect like allen. If he were as good on the tape as you like to point out, he wouldn't split time with allen. In the offseason, they need a cb opposite joseph, no 2 ways about it. They're hiding the 2nd cb whether that's allen or jackson.
Old 12-24-2011   #351
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You need to bring it to Wade Phillips.
He's the one who not only defended, but also praised Kareem Jackson in one of the recent press conference:

Conscientious (hard worker) and talented.

It's somewhere on the HoustonTexans.com website.
Wade Phillips is also the one that keeps splitting the time up with Allen and Jackson. Just admit Jackson sucks and has zero ball skills and save a little face here. Had he not been a 1st round pick I doubt he would still be getting on the field at this point.
Old 12-24-2011   #352
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Next year, people will be talking about how much Kareem has improved. Instead of saying 76Texan was right in the first place.

Kinda like Meyers. Two years ago he was talking about how Meyers was not playing as bad as "everyone" said he was, & that he was actually one of, if not, our best linemen.
More likely he will be bench fodder for some other team that thinks that maybe they can get him to live up to his potential because of where he was drafted.
Old 12-24-2011   #353
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

you and 76 make a cute KJ couple, it will be ashame to see this romance end when KJ is gone.
Old 12-24-2011   #354
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Anybody else notice Molden is starting for the Pats?

I've noticed that while he still stinks it appearrs that he's better than KJ.
First off, Merry Christmas to everybody!

Secondly, I will try to counter as many posts as I can before I have to get off the board.

Molden took McCourty's place in week 11 (KC) and 12 (PHI) when D.Mc suffered a mild shoulder injury.
I didn't watch those games, but the fact that Molden went back to the bench ought to tell us what we need to know.
(Looks like VY had 400 yards passing in week 13).

I have documented how McCourty had struggled this year when Belichik started treating him like a normal CB and doesn't protect him like last year.
Well, McCourty continued to struggle when he came back.
I watched 2 more games and he gave up all short of routes and a ton of yards (short, intermediate, and long.)
He also allowed a TD against Orvlosky (who went off for 353 yards.)
Against the Skins he gave up a couple of TD passes by Grossman.
So if we want to talk about regressing, this is the guy!

On the other hand, as we talked about rookie CBs, I had mentioned how Patrick Peterson suffered the same fate as Jackson even though his (Peterson's) safety help has been better.
I watched the Cowboys game, and Peterson was "abused" by Dez Bryant (including another TD given up by PP) all game long.

In 8 games that I've watched PP, he had already given up more TDs than Jackson (16-game rookie season).

I think I had made this point clear by now; that a rokkie left on an island will struggle.

If there's any high expectation for Jackson as an NFL-ready CB as an underclassman draft pick, it should have been reigned in from the start.
It was you guys who had that expectation; it wasn't me.
Old 12-24-2011   #355
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Did you read my post? When jjo gave it up to smith, smith did show or turn, he was running. Joseph tried to locate the ball against a speed guy. Kareem has shown time after time like jacquez reeves that he doesn't ever read the wr hands or helmet. At least reeves would play the hands and break up the pass. Jackson can't do either and I don't need mayock to tell me. I can get the coaches copy and watch the guy.
So now we're switching from locating the ball to reading the WR hands and helmet, LOL!

In that case, yes sir, Jackson did just that on this play.
Not just that, Jackson did pretty much exactly what he was taught when defending the fade route near the goal line.
(Note that different DB may adapt different techniques; ie. a tall CB vs a short CB, etc.)

Here are some links you (or anybody else) can follow and learn more about different techniques by different coaches.

This one is by RC Slocum, longtime Aggies HC.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8020391/de...-the-goal-line

The main point here is as followed:

the defender should wheel towards the receiver and drive upfield with him with visual focus on his hands. When the receiver lifts his hands, the defender must immediately lift his own hands (inside hand) and prepare to drive it through the pocket (receiver’s hands). We stress trying to whack the receiver’s off arm. The defender must get the ball out of the pocket.

Driving through the pocket was what Jackson did; he just didn't manage to get to the ball.
And this is why I said I didn't defend KJ on this play (he didn't get to the ball).
But the technique was there; he did what he was supposed to do.

Before somebody starts to cry about jamming, read the following link; different coaches have different ideas about that. It depends on a lot of different things and it wasn't my point to open another can of worm.

http://www.jcfb.com/forum/messagevie...threadid=11082

Here, my point simply is that the CB shouldn't try to locate the ball.

That point is further illustrated here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu..._shoulder_fade

- Don’t look back for the ball. This is going to cause separation with the WR and that is all it takes down inside of the 10-yard line. Instead, focus on the inside hip of the WR once he is into the route stem. Let you eyes take you to the point of attack.

- “Play the pocket.” As I said above, don’t look back for the ball. Here, play on that inside hip and stick your hands in the “pocket” (in-between the WR’s arms). Don’t swat at the ball or rake down on the arm—and don’t panic.
Old 12-24-2011   #356
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't you see the problem there?

Brown shared time when he was a rookie, he became a full-fledged starter his 2nd year.

Caldwell, not a first round pick, shared time as a rookie and has been beaten out of the RG job since.

Allen was splitting time with McCain, Careem was a full time starter.. he's going backward. Action speaks louder than words, Phillips is saying one thing and doing another. Careem is going the opposite direction that Duane Brown did.
Let's get all the facts straight, shall we.

1. Brown started at the beginning of his rookie year; shared time with Salaam later on, then become a full-time starter from his second year on.
(Note: I made the right call here, too!
I suggested that the Texans should play Salaam and Brown in some sort of a rotation even before that season started. The Texans didn't follow my friendly advice until they found out that they need to slow down their hope to fast-track Brown.
I also called the Brown's pick before the draft.
I also said that Brown's is best in the run game, but needs to work on pass-pro - this is something that Lance Z and his partner John Harris was incorrect on until they were able to see more of Brown in TC.)

2. Allen did not split time with McCain.
McCain was moved to nickel back; he spelled CB once in a while for both Jackson and Allen.

3. There's no problem splitting time with Allen (about 55-45 in favor of Kareem and he's the starter.)
The Texans ranked #5 against the #2 receiver.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
You can see how we ranked against their #1 and other WRs as well (JJo and McCain).

More later. Got to run now.
Old 12-24-2011   #357
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Kareem Jackson ****ing sucks.

The end.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #358
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Brown started at the beginning of his rookie year; shared time with Salaam later on, then become a full-time starter from his second year on.
(Note: I made the right call here, too!
I suggested that the Texans should play Salaam and Brown in some sort of a rotation even before that season started. The Texans didn't follow my friendly advice until they found out that they need to slow down their hope to fast-track Brown.
I also called the Brown's pick before the draft.
I also said that Brown's is best in the run game, but needs to work on pass-pro - this is something that Lance Z and his partner John Harris was incorrect on until they were able to see more of Brown in TC.)

2. Allen did not split time with McCain.
McCain was moved to nickel back; he spelled CB once in a while for both Jackson and Allen.

3. There's no problem splitting time with Allen (about 55-45 in favor of Kareem and he's the starter.)
The Texans ranked #5 against the #2 receiver.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
You can see how we ranked against their #1 and other WRs as well (JJo and McCain).

More later. Got to run now.
Is sombody trying to pat his own back ? I have one for you i called jackson a bust last season and so far i look more right . However i know you'll disagree, which is fine.

My only thought is that if allen is SO bad and KJ is SO good then why do they split time ?

I give KJ till the end of his rookie contract and then he is gone. Seems like only 3 of yall on this whole board see something in KJ that the rest of us dont see. Why is that ?
Old 12-24-2011   #359
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah except regarding Kareem Jackson, 76 doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and is clearly wrong. Kareem Jackson ******* sucks and the only reason why he hasn't been beat like a drum this season is because of the improved from 7. He still gets beat when it matters though and when teams need a big play they still throw his way and find a way to get their top playmakers matched up against him.

HE SUCKS (period) and he's going to continue sucking....it's why as a first round pick he can't even beat out Jason Allen who honestly shouldn't be splitting time with Kareem any more, he should be our new starting #2 CB

And for Christ's sake... his name is MYERS.. For somebody who constantly tries to pimp that nut the blind squirrel found, one would think you'd atleast know how to spell his name by now.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #360
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

We shall see.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read