Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011   #1541
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39273 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Atlanta Falcons @ Houston Texans. 12/4. 12 CT. FOX. **Official GameDay Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
If it is head to head, then Baltimore would have had the #1 seed last week too. See my point?
Last week was different because Houston was ahead of both the Patriots & Ravens in conference record. Patriots now have the tiebreaker over Houston based off Strength of Victory. Therefore, because New England has the tiebreaker over Houston, Houston & Baltimore's head-to-head meeting comes into play.

BTW: I'm going off of ESPN not NFL.com. Here's how they have their standings and why:

1. New England - AFC East Champ
(Wins tie break over Houston based on strength of victory. Wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.)
2. Baltimore - AFC North Champ
(Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage. Wins tie break over Houston based on head-to-head win percentage.)
3. Houston - AFC South Champ
4. Denver - AFC West Champ
(Wins tie break over Oakland based on best win percentage in division games.)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Cincinnati - (Wins tie break over Tennessee, Oakland and NY Jets based on best win percentage in conference games)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/t...nk/order/false

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Lowest Winning Seed From AFC Wild-Card Round
Patriots 24
(9-3-0) Proj: 1st Seed

Highest Winning Seed From AFC Wild-Card Round

Texans 24
(9-3-0) Proj: 2nd Seed

...what do you mean, it's not showing up for you?? I just rechecked it and it's still there.
Not sure why but that site is showing a blank page for me.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #1542
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Atlanta Falcons @ Houston Texans. 12/4. 12 CT. FOX. **Official GameDay Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Anybody catch the little piece about us during halftime of the Sunday night game?

Talk about love and attention on a national stage.

I really don't care about that stuff but I know a lot of you guys do. And I have to admit it was pretty cool to be put out there like that.
Yeah it was cool. Costas said the Texans played themselves into a Sunday Night game next season. Maybe sooner if we make the SB.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #1543
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Last week was different because Houston was ahead of both the Patriots & Ravens in conference record. Patriots now have the tiebreaker over Houston based off Strength of Victory. Therefore, because New England has the tiebreaker over Houston, Houston & Baltimore's head-to-head meeting comes into play.

BTW: I'm going off of ESPN not NFL.com. Here's how they have their standings and why:

1. New England - AFC East Champ
(Wins tie break over Houston based on strength of victory. Wins tie break over Baltimore based on best win percentage in conference games.)
2. Baltimore - AFC North Champ
(Wins tie break over Pittsburgh based on head-to-head win percentage. Wins tie break over Houston based on head-to-head win percentage.)
3. Houston - AFC South Champ
4. Denver - AFC West Champ
(Wins tie break over Oakland based on best win percentage in division games.)
5. Pittsburgh
6. Cincinnati - (Wins tie break over Tennessee, Oakland and NY Jets based on best win percentage in conference games)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/t...nk/order/false

Not sure why but that site is showing a blank page for me.
Maybe you didn't wait long enough. It takes a while to load. When I first checked there, I thought something was wrong with it too. But after a couple of good, long minutes, all the graphics finally showed up.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #1544
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe you didn't wait long enough. It takes a while to load. When I first checked there, I thought something was wrong with it too. But after a couple of good, long minutes, all the graphics finally showed up.
Yes the NFL page takes forever to load. One of the reasons I don't go there much. The other being I don't wanna be one of their "hits". I'm not over their f'kn lockout yet.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #1545
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell me about it.
NFL.com says we're still the #2 seed. Maybe CBS is hosed up. Wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture
My understanding is the Head to head only applies if ALL tied teams have played each other. So in the PATs, TEXANs, RAVENs tie, the head to head step is skipped and our in conference record is better than RAVENs.
Old 12-04-2011   #1546
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
My understanding is the Head to head only applies if ALL tied teams have played each other. So in the PATs, TEXANs, RAVENs tie, the head to head step is skipped and our in conference record is better than RAVENs.
In a 3 way tie with NE, BAL and HOU, NE & HOU eliminate BAL with better conference records. Then it reverts to a 2 way tie between NE & HOU, which NE wins on strength of victory.

Then it starts over with BAL & HOU where BAL has head to head.

So NE would be #1, BAL #2 and HOU #3.

The loss to the Ravens hurt but having Indy and Jacsonville twice each is killing our strength of victory.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #1547
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Old 12-05-2011   #1548
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
In a 3 way tie with NE, BAL and HOU, NE & HOU eliminate BAL with better conference records. Then it reverts to a 2 way tie between NE & HOU, which NE wins on strength of victory.

The loss to the Ravens hurt but having Indy and Jacsonville twice each is killing our strength of victory.
I'm afraid that's not right.

It can only go to the two-way tie rules if all three teams have played one another. The Pats aren't on our schedule this year so that cannot happen.

The 3-way rules apply here.

TejasTom quoted the exact verbage.
Old 12-05-2011   #1549
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56944 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

But what I don't get, is that last week when CBS showed the playoff picture, we were the #1 seed and that was talked about nationally too. Now this week, all 3 top teams win, but we go from #1 to #3??

BCS style.......

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #1550
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
But what I don't get, is that last week when CBS showed the playoff picture, we were the #1 seed and that was talked about nationally too. Now this week, all 3 top teams win, but we go from #1 to #3??

BCS style.......
that's easy.
CBS was wrong last week and they're wrong again this week.

They keep applying the two way rules. The 2-way rules cannot apply since all three teams haven't (and won't) play each other.
Old 12-05-2011   #1551
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Quote:
that's easy.
CBS was wrong last week and they're wrong again this week.

They keep applying the two way rules. The 2-way rules cannot apply since all three teams haven't (and won't) play each other.
Exactly. Look at the NFL page. We were first last week because we had more AFC wins than NE. This week they tied us because they played an AFC team and won (we are both 7- 2 in AFC, BALT is 6 - 2 in AFC). This is why BALT is 3rd.

Then NE strength of victory is better than Texans so they are 1st. We both have 3 AFC and 1 NFC op left. BALT has 4 AFC left so they can catch us.

If all three win out, headed to head will never come in to play.
Old 12-05-2011   #1552
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

dang...

the Yahoo generator has the Ravens 1, Texans 2, and Patriots 3 if all three teams win out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffs...hm=yahooranker
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #1553
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Strength of victory...

In case you needed MORE of a reason to root for TB vs. the Cowboys...the strength of victory for the Texans would go up and Patriots would go down.

A Jacksonville win tonight is also better for the Texans since they beat Jax twice and the Patriots beat the Chargers.

There are a lot of BCS type scenarios where the tiebreaker shifts back and forth.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #1554
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25135 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys, I have a couple of officiating questions:

On the incomplete pass/fumble play we had players from both teams running on the field. Both teams were flagged. Why did these 2 flags not offset each other and cause a replay of the down?

With 8 seconds left in the game Julio Jones was flagged for stepping out of bounce and being the first to touch it again - isn`t every offensive penalty at the end of the game also a 10 second run off on the clock if you can`t take a TO?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #1555
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Hey guys, I have a couple of officiating questions:

On the incomplete pass/fumble play we had players from both teams running on the field. Both teams were flagged. Why did these 2 flags not offset each other and cause a replay of the down?

With 8 seconds left in the game Julio Jones was flagged for stepping out of bounce and being the first to touch it again - isn`t every offensive penalty at the end of the game also a 10 second run off on the clock if you can`t take a TO?
Don't know about the second one, but in regard to the offsetting penalties, they were post possession fouls, so them offsetting (or even if it had only been a penalty on the Falcons) wouldn't have given us the ball back.

It's similar to a penalty on the return team on a punt (possession has already changed), or perhaps a better example is if a CB intercepts a pass, runs it back for a TD, and one of his teammates is called for a block in the back on the return, it negates the TD, but it doesn't negate the interception.
Old 12-05-2011   #1556
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
If the offense has no time outs and is losing or tied in the last two minutes of either half. The following six penalities result in a 10 second run off.

1. False start
2. Intentional grounding
3. Illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage
4. Throwing a backwards pass out of bounds
5. Spiking or throwing the ball away after a down (unless after a touchdown)
6. Any other intentional act that causes the clock to stop

The Julio Jones penalty did not qualify.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read