Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-02-2011   #1
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Predictions for Yates first start

I think Kubiak knows what will happen if we don't try to throw the ball. I think he can remember back to last Sunday that is. I was at the game and commended to the person behind me at the end of the first, "I told you Leinart would figure it out." only to be told, "Okay, Is Leinart #13?" So I will choose to remember only the small portion of the first half in which TJ played to base my opinion. That, and a depleted Falcons secondary.

TJ Yates - 18 - 29 - 245yds - 2 TD (Foster and AJ) - 0 INT + 1 fumbled snap.

It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!
Old 12-02-2011   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Predictions for Yates first start

< 250 yards passing 1 TD and 1 INT
Old 12-02-2011   #3
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a gut feeling that Rackers will be busy. I have a feeling that Kubes will give Yates a decent amount of "leash" between the 20s but will go conservative in the "red zone" to protect the three points. For that reason I don't expect a TD pass (hope I'm VERY wrong), but I think his stats will be adequate (around 60% completions in 20-25 passes with 0 or 1 INT).
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #4
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if Kubiak goes conservative in the redzone, there is always the chance of 1) a long score before they reach the redzone, or 2) a guy who makes a play and breaks a tackle on a screen or short pass that could still give him a td pass.

I think Yates will be ok, the kid seemed to challenge deep a decent amount at NC and is athletic enough to be moved around on bootlegs to get him comfortable in open space for some good play action. I figure he is good for 1 td (figure he gets a chance to throw one, since most close in attempts should be rushing) and probably make a rookie mistake for 1 int. I figure his yardage will be in the 175-200 area.

The way I see it, I would love to have him throw a fair bit. With Atlanta struggling with their pass D and then losing their best corner, it is worth it for him to test it. Even if he makes a mistake and throws an INT or two, as long as he makes more plays than he gives away, I am ok with letting the D try to cover up for the mistakes.
Old 12-02-2011   #5
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 558 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully Yates is a lot more confident than Leinart was, so I hope we don't see those annoying 3 yard checkdowns. Kubes needs to let the boy fling it and get Andre involved.
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #6
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I predict that Bill will have a beer, go to a strip club, have another beer, get a lap dance, have another beer...then go home & shower so that he and Joe can go watch Yates start on Sunday...then have another beer.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
I think Kubiak knows what will happen if we don't try to throw the ball. I think he can remember back to last Sunday that is.
I think he'll go waaaaaaaay back to when Matt Schaub QB'd this team & went 11-15 against Tampa Bay in a win, 14-23 vs Cleveland, 18-23 vs Tennessee, & still score 30 points.

TJ will probably throw in the low 20s for 3 TDs (off big plays from OD, Arian, & Aj)
Old 12-02-2011   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

17-31 1 TD 2 INTS
146 Yards Passing
Sacked 3 times
51.2 QB Rating

Team Rushing:
27 carries for 88 yards

We lose by 10.

Sorry, just being realistic. Obviously, I hope I'm proven wrong
Old 12-02-2011   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

1-0
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881 View Post
17-31 1 TD 2 INTS
146 Yards Passing
Sacked 3 times
51.2 QB Rating

Team Rushing:
27 carries for 88 yards

We lose by 10.

Sorry, just being realistic. Obviously, I hope I'm proven wrong
Please tell me the difference between realistic and pessimistic. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2011   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Please tell me the difference between realistic and pessimistic. Thanks in advance.
When it comes to starting a 3rd string 5th round rookie QB, there isn't much of a difference LOL
Old 12-02-2011   #12
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you guys are going to be surprised here. Yates is an unknown and will have the element of surprise on his side. Remember Bucky Richardson in his first few games for the Oilers back in the 1990's. T.J. Yates is likely to enjoy a similar grace period before reality sets in. Hopefully that grace period can be stretched out to last at least of the regular season.

Meanwhile, the Falcons will be loading the box with 8 guys to stop the Texan's formidable running game and to force the rookie QB to throw the ball. Kubiak will have game-planned for this during the week and will have prepared Yates to take advantage of this situation.

Also, Andre Johnson will be much more in synch this week, after spending last week largely knocking off the rust from his 7-week layoff. Expect James Casey to see more action in the passing game this week, probably with at least one big gainer. The tight ends Dreesen and Daniels will catch some balls. And Arian Foster will have more receiving yards than running yards, again.

T. J. Yates - 19/30 for 245 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int.

Texans win 24-16.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I predict that Bill will have a beer, go to a strip club, have another beer, get a lap dance, have another beer...then go home & shower so that he and Joe can go watch Yates start on Sunday...then have another beer.
Fail Bill wont have a beer at the strip club , he'll have a scotch.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
When it comes to starting a 3rd string 5th round rookie QB, there isn't much of a difference LOL
Realistic would probably be "I'm not sure what TJ Yates is capable of". Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2011   #15
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

216yds 1td 1int sackd 3 times

I am wanting Foster & Tate to go crazy running the ball combine for 190+ against a great ATL run def
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Realistic would probably be "I'm not sure what TJ Yates is capable of". Just a thought.
Best case scenario of a late round QB...Tom Brady...was 24-47 with 254 yards 0 TDs and 0 ints in his first two games. So setting Tom Brady as the bar for success by a late round QB, I wouldn't expect anymore than that. It is not being pessimistic to assume that TJ Yates won't fair even that well, its being realistic by comparing what successful QBs have done in their first starts.
Old 12-02-2011   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Playing a pretty good defense that's a team in a must win situation and this being Yate's first start of his career??? I'm guessing it's going to be a pretty ugly game, but I"ll hope for the best.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think its going to be pretty bad.

Folks acting like Leinart and Yates should be blazing out of the gates are setting themselves up for disappointment IMO. Not even schaub came out blazing from the get go.

Hopefully Yates proves me wrong as I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #19
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Best case scenario of a late round QB...Tom Brady...was 24-47 with 254 yards 0 TDs and 0 ints in his first two games. So setting Tom Brady as the bar for success by a late round QB, I wouldn't expect anymore than that. It is not being pessimistic to assume that TJ Yates won't fair even that well, its being realistic by comparing what successful QBs have done in their first starts.
ever heard of cam newton ???
Old 12-02-2011   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think its going to be pretty bad.

Folks acting like Leinart and Yates should be blazing out of the gates are setting themselves up for disappointment IMO. Not even schaub came out blazing from the get go.

Hopefully Yates proves me wrong as I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
Schaub was unfamiliar with the style of offense that we run when he got here and also didn't really fit athletically. He's made it work since then, but it did take him some time for him to figure it out.

Yates has been in an offense much like the Texans offense for some time now. He also fits athletically with the scheme, as he throws the ball pretty accurately on the run. I expect to see some mistakes in decision making, but I don't expect to see an ugly offense out there. I have full confidence that Yates will be able to RUN the offense with good tempo and rhythm. Schaub was known for his ability to sell the play fake, but Yates was too when he was at North Carolina. It's obviously something that Kubiak coaches his QBs to do, so I am also not worried about our play action game.

All eyes are on Yates' decision making not his ability to run this offense.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read