Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How we gonna roll coach?
Yates is just a baby. Run Foster, Tate and Ward as much as possible. 1 0.98%
Yates is young but if he doesn't throw it every other series I'm gonna get my RBs killed. 15 14.71%
Yates has some ability. We'll surprise them with some real plays and hope the young man succeeds. 64 62.75%
We're gonna be the smartest guys in the room and toss it around the yard with a no name rookie! 12 11.76%
I'M THE YOSEMITE SAM OF PLAYCALLING!!! YEEEEHAWWW GO ROUTES AND BOMBS!!! HAAAAIL MARY!!! 7 6.86%
Other-explain your strategy against the Falcons 3 2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2011   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Playcalling Strategy With Yates

I know I'll be entirely more disappointed with turtle play than if Yates just makes mistakes. You don't hit the moon if you don't shoot. Inexperience isn't the same thing as suck. What do you do?

I'm like this: if they think stacking the box is going to stop Foster....they're right. Because every time a safety creeps up I'm going to tell the kid to huck it to AJ over their heads! If they'll play straight up, let the ground game do the dirty work and hide the rookie a little bit. I am NOT going to let them disrespect the whole team because of one young, inexperienced player.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #2
JVL713
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 JVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respectedJVL713 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Playcalling Strategy With Yates

Atlanta's rush defense is #2 in the league, allowing under 85 yards per game. This alone isn't too scary, as Arian and Tate were able to run effectively against the Steeler's D...but if we play as conservatively as we did in the second half of the Jacksonville game it could get ugly.

We have a great defense behind us, but if we go three and out over and over like we did in the J'ville game, we can't count on dropped passes/horrible throws from Atlanta like we could agains Jax.

The team and coaching staff has expressed their faith in Yates all week, and Kubes even said he was so conservative with TJ more because of the backup situation than lack of faith. You have to let the kid throw. Not necessarily as much as Schaub would throw, we will definitely be a run first team from here on out, but we can't let Atlanta stack the box and let them go unpunished. Throwing to Andre in single coverage is more than doable, even for a rookie QB.

We have all the weapons anyone could ask for...a great run game, Arian's ability to catch and run, Owen Daniels, Dressen, James Casey, and of course...Mister Alexander(didn't see him on the injury report, hope he's ok). We don't have to do anything too fancy, but we can't be as one sided as we were against Jacksonville.
JVL713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #3
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously...put in two RB's for extra protection and air that shiz out. Hit Jacoby, hit AJ, hit Walter, hit OD...make the opposition respect the pass and then pound them silly.
Old 12-02-2011   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

What about just trusting Kubiak?

I know that's a novel concept, but hey ......
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #5
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a double edged sword.

I feel like if Atlanta's weakness is in their secondary, that's what you have to focus your game plan on. Take what the defense gives you, and if Atlanta stacks the box, it seems the smart choice is to take advantage of their secondary situation.

On the other hand....

You have a rookie QB making his first start against a talented NFL team. Aside from the last series in the first half of the Jags game last week, TJ's game experience in the NFL is against 2nd/3rd stringers in a shortened pre-season. I can see an argument to ease him into the position by relying heavily on what is still arguably one of the better run games in the NFL for the last year and a half.

My guess is that Kubiak will come out somewhat conservative with what is asked of TJ to at least see if he can get a rhythm and open it up as the game goes along as needed, which will likely be dictated mostly by score, line play, special teams succes/feild position.

I expect that Kube's will be content to have a close game, in which we have a chance to win at the end. I don't anticipate a game plan with the expectation of attempting to blow out the opponent, as it would likely put too much of a high-level expectation on TJ.
Old 12-02-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Other.

Scale the passing gameplan back some, but give him some opprotunites to throw the ball. Lean heavily on Foster and Tate.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Ok. You're right. Let's not talk about the biggest key to this game at all.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2011   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I say run the 15 play script on a Schaub-Lite type approach. Then base the rest of the game what Yates does.

I think there should be a couple of bombs. The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up, so maybe try one or two early.
Old 12-02-2011   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I say run the 15 play script on a Schaub-Lite type approach. Then base the rest of the game what Yates does.

I think there should be a couple of bombs. The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up, so maybe try one or two early.
If Yates can hurt them over the top early, then he can settle back in the running game & manage the game more easily. Secondary is Atlanta Falcons weakness.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #10
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 797 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviously we will lean on the strength of our offense, the running game. And every now and then we will dial up some plays to throw it down field. I just don't want to see him force something that is not there, but still be aggressive within himself and the play that is call.

We should take note however, he is a rookie. So a turn over or two will not suprise me. But if he can make some plays down the field and lean on this running game we should win this game.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

First offensive play:

Play action pass looking for Dre deep. Overthrow it if you must but go deep. Get in Atlanta's head early. Back them off the line of scrimmage.
Old 12-02-2011   #12
brad77
Rookie

Section: Sec 350 Row E
Rep Power: 275 brad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Obviously we will lean on the strength of our offense, the running game. And every now and then we will dial up some plays to throw it down field. I just don't want to see him force something that is not there, but still be aggressive within himself and the play that is call.

We should take note however, he is a rookie. So a turn over or two will not suprise me. But if he can make some plays down the field and lean on this running game we should win this game.
everyone knows we can run the ball....what I don't want to see is constantly waiting till 3rd down to throw the ball....two runs and a pass is way to predictable. We need to mix it up and let the kid air it out on 1st and second down so that the Atlanta D does not stack the box and play the run...we hve to show them we are willing to throw the ball down field.
brad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Even Germany is ordering T.J Yates jerseys.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #14
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
The beauty on the naked boot leg is you get some chances to throw some long passes, but you have to be able to run the ball to set it up.
There's some truth to that, but IMO it doesn't apply to the Texans, esspecially this late in the year..

If you're the Colts, if you could somehow get the run game going the naked play-action boot would work better... But with the Texans, their running game has been established for over a year and a half now, and earns respect from the opposing defense in the film-room..

A great example was against Baltimore... Minus one really good run from Tate (the fumble run that Brown recovered for a TD), the Texans hadn't been running the ball very well when Jacoby beat Ed Reed to the endzone for a deep TD on a play-action boot. Reed was on top of the box, bit on the run a step or two and Jacoby abandoned his "I'm gunna come over here to block you" route to go deep... Reed was late...

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #15
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak needs to let the boy sling it, so we can see what we've got. I'd rather find out before the pla-_offs, and so he can get a few growing pains out of the way.
Old 12-02-2011   #16
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
First offensive play:

Play action pass looking for Dre deep. Overthrow it if you must but go deep. Get in Atlanta's head early. Back them off the line of scrimmage.
This is exactly what I hope they let him do. I watched Yates last year in college and he can get it down there pretty accurately, especially if they've been working with him on being a bit more consistent than he was in college.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I know I'll be entirely more disappointed with turtle play than if Yates just makes mistakes. You don't hit the moon if you don't shoot. Inexperience isn't the same thing as suck. What do you do?
I honestly don't think the game plan will be any different than the plan we went into Jacksonville with. We're going to run the ball & take a few chances. We scored 17 points against the #5 defense in the league with Leinart, I don't think we'll see much drop off with Yates.

That game plan wasn't much different than the one that won in Cleveland, Tennessee, at Jacksonville, or home against Tampa Bay.

He'll probably be coached to take the checkdowns unless the big play is there & I don't have a problem with that.

Hopefully he'll gain some confidence as the game goes on & by the second half of the Cincy game take more chances. But if that beautiful touch pass to Andre in the second half of the Jags game is any indication, he might already have the confidence needed.
Old 12-02-2011   #18
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Kubiak needs to let the boy sling it, so we can see what we've got. I'd rather find out before the pla-_offs, and so he can get a few growing pains out of the way.
????? your tagline about newbies with 2010 join date who really cares and question is why havent you joined the Houston Texan Fan club of San Antonio on facebook that I started years ago. (please join we are trying to put together bus trip and we need more likes)

I really dont care about the newbies, I always knew they were there, especially in SA. I am enjoying being proven right.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

we don't have any choice, but in the mean time we can discuss this on what's called a message board. yay teem!

On a serious note, I think if Kubiak only calls plays that work, Yates will be fine.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #20
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think the only realistic choice in that poll was "We're gonna be the smartest guys in the room and toss it around the yard with a no name rookie!"

Think about everything you've ever learned about Kubiak. Take a moment, let it all sink in. Ready?

Now answer me honestly, has this man ever passed up a chance to be the smartest guy in the room? Ever?

Yates is going to throw for over 300 yards Sunday. Book it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read