Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2005   #21
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I don't think we thought of concerning Isaac Bruce is how he plays on grass or whatever we have compared to astroturf.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #22
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

Why do you people think were fine cause we got Jerome Mathis? Nobody would of heard of this guy if he haden't ran that 40. He drops alot of balls, another Bradford, with more speed, less height. The guy is a project, we need another WR.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #23
LBblitz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
One thing I don't think we thought of concerning Isaac Bruce is how he plays on grass or whatever we have compared to astroturf.
I am not for the idea of getting bruce however, the question would be him playing in all weather conditions, not neccessarily grass/turf. Since our schedule this year has one game threatening to be a "cold" game I guess he wouldnt have a problem. IMO our current trend is getting youth and speed and that we already have a pretty solid WR group I doubt we would get him. (someone said peter warrick earlier in this thread... )
Old 04-28-2005   #24
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think Mathis was basically brought in as a KR and gunner, and to back up Buchanon as PR. If he ever starts at wide receiver I'd frankly just see that as a bonus.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shush
I think Mathis was basically brought in as a KR and gunner, and to back up Buchanon as PR. If he ever starts at wide receiver I'd frankly just see that as a bonus.
The team took him because they think he can develop into a legit WR. I think he can analogize to Chris "tippy-toes" Sanders, the Ohio State speedster-project WR that the Oilers took in the 3rd round a few years before they split town. Sanders just didnít have the elusiveness or return skills of Mathis. He was more of just a straight line runner. Hopefully Mathis develops like Sanders never really did. As for Bruce? I don't think we would pursue him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #26
barzilla
Veteran

I looked at the NFC and saw that half of the teams had two WRs with 50 catches or more. 75% of the teams had number two recievers with more catches than Jabbar Gaffney. However, I have never said that Gaffney was the problem. Gaffney is a fine slot reciever on obvious passing situations. The problem is Corey Bradford. He just isn't enough for a number two reciever. Most of the teams that had #2 guys with 40+ catches had guys similar to Bradford in skills, but they produced nearly twice as many catches as him.

For me, the prototype I was thinking of was Lee Evans of Buffalo. He had only 47 catches last year in support of Eric Moulds, but he had over 800 yards receiving with 9 touchdowns. So, no, I'm not thinking of going the way of Detroit with their three WRs taken in the top ten. I just want one functional down the field threat.

If something happened where Bradford was suddenly unproductive last season then I might chalk it up to something in the OL or with DC, but he hasn't produced like those 40+ catch guys in ANY season of his career. Why should we believe he will start now? I don't pretend to know the answer (in terms of what is out there on the free agent market). I think Warrick would be intriguing, but I can see a case for Bruce on a one or two year basis. All I know is that the defensive shuffles don't disappoint me as the neglect towards the offense this off-season. I'll put my faith in CC that he will do something as of June 1st. Yes, the defense was sub-par last year and I'm glad they're doing something about it, but we're not talking about the Colts on offense here. Carr for all of his yardage still did not throw a lot of touchdown passes and Davis (even though he had 1000 yards) was not as productive as a sophomore as he was as a rookie. I was hoping something would get done.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis has been compared to be a Lee Evans type receiver.

Oh and Vinny, if Mathis could have the production that Sanders had in his rookie and sophmore season that would be awesome. I think if he is like that though he will be around alot longer than Sanders because he seems to have more of a open field game than Sanders.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2005   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Sanders and Mathis have different styles but have the same kind of project timetable to me. Mathis seems explosive like the Saints Michael Lewis when you watch those Yahoo profile shorts. Lewis is much smaller though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read