Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2005   #1
Newbsies
Rookie

Question Ike Bruce??

So I was browsing the FFToday boards today, and many of those guys, including rams fans, seem to think that Isaac Bruce will be released as of June 1. They also believe that Johnnie Morton, Koren Robinson, and Peter Warrick will all be cut. And then there's Javon Walker who is holding out for more money, and of course that tool T.O.

What do you guys think our chances are of landing any of these guys as a #2? I know Robinson has attitude problems, but hey, they might not be as bad as everybody thinks(TJ).
Old 04-27-2005   #2
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

no chance, with mathis added to the group i dont see them adding someone else now.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis, Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney, Derrick Armstrong, Kendrick Starling, Sloan Thomas

What in the world are we gonna do with another wide receiver?

TEs and Tackles please. Another Dlineman and somemore depth at ILB wouldnt hurt either.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #4
outofhnd
All Pro

Our chances would be great If Jerry jones or Dan Snyder owned the Texans.
Old 04-27-2005   #5
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
Our chances would be great If Jerry jones or Dan Snyder owned the Texans.
Or Mark Cuban.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #6
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
no chance, with mathis added to the group i dont see them adding someone else now.
Im as optomistic about mathis as the next guy, but to think that he is going to step in right away and be the #2 that we need to is ridiculous.

Signing an isaac bruce for 1-2 years would be perfect...
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #7
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
Im as optomistic about mathis as the next guy, but to think that he is going to step in right away and be the #2 that we need to is ridiculous.

Signing an isaac bruce for 1-2 years would be perfect...
I dont recall ANYONE every saying Mathis is going to be the #2 this year. Also, I think we already have a pretty solid recieving core right now. They arent great, but better than alot of teams. Bradford is a decent #2 and Gaffeny is great in the slot. I think Mathis will be the #2 next year to stretch the def for AJ.
Old 04-28-2005   #8
barzilla
Veteran

Quote:
dont recall ANYONE every saying Mathis is going to be the #2 this year. Also, I think we already have a pretty solid recieving core right now. They arent great, but better than alot of teams. Bradford is a decent #2 and Gaffeny is great in the slot. I think Mathis will be the #2 next year to stretch the def for AJ.
Hmmmmmmm

It seems to me most teams have two WRs that can catch 50 balls. We have one that is a decent possession WR but no real threat and a speed guy that disappears for games at a time. If that is a good WR group (outside of AJ) then I'd hate to see a bad one.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #9
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by barzilla
Hmmmmmmm

It seems to me most teams have two WRs that can catch 50 balls. We have one that is a decent possession WR but no real threat and a speed guy that disappears for games at a time. If that is a good WR group (outside of AJ) then I'd hate to see a bad one.
Seattle... they cant even catch the ball
Old 04-28-2005   #10
JfromthaTray
Veteran

Did somebody say Bradford was a decent #2. If Ike Bruce is available, and the price is right, its no question that we should make a move, not to mention he's the type of character guy that the organization likes (Ordained Minister).
JfromthaTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hmmmmmmm

Really, would that be:

New England--nope.
Philly--nope.
Pittsburgh--nope.
Atlanta--nope.
Indy--yup.
Minnesota--nope.
St. Louis--yup.
NYJets--nope.
Green Bay--yup.
Denver--yup.
San Diego--nope.
Seattle--nope.

Hmmm, at least for play-off teams (by definition, the most successful last year) that would be 8 nopes and 4 yups. Maybe you set the bar a tad high.
Old 04-28-2005   #12
barzilla
Veteran

Quote:
Hmmm, at least for play-off teams (by definition, the most successful last year) that would be 8 nopes and 4 yups. Maybe you set the bar a tad high.
Okay, let's go team by team:

Philly- I'd agree they have one great one and mediocrity for the rests, but they would say that is one of their weaknesses.

New England- They may not have two fifty guys but they have three or four fourty plus guys.

Pittsburgh- A great running attack and Plaxico Burress was hurt most of the season. Still, they have a much better group then we have collectively.

Atlanta- they came close but they don't have an AJ. I would think Atlanta wants to improve their unit.

Minnesota- Moss is better than AJ and their number two was a more consistent deep threat than Bradford.

Jets- definitely more a running offense than ours. They don't have a game breaker like AJ but they have better all-around guys.

San Diego- I consider their tight end almost like a reciever.

Seattle- point taken.

I think my point is still clear. The teams that have situations worse than ours or equal to ours ALL wanted to improve their reciever situations. So should we, so no, I don't think I'm setting the bar too high.
Old 04-28-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think my point is still clear. The teams that have situations worse than ours or equal to ours ALL wanted to improve their reciever situations. So should we, so no, I don't think I'm setting the bar too high.
Of course the team should constantly be looking to improve and every team wants more and more production out of their skill positions. That said, the literal statement of most have two guys with over 50 receptions isn't accurate--they want it sure, but they don't have it.
Old 04-28-2005   #14
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
We have one that is a decent possession WR but no real threat and a speed guy that disappears for games at a time.
i really can't get into this mentality. if a WR can run, jump and consistantly catch the football how are they not a 'threat'? i saw jabar score a few times last year . as for bradford disapearing, i'm sure he didn't do it by choice. it takes at least six guys (T to T and QB) to get one wide reciever the football, so the odds of bradfords production drop being all on him are pretty slim. and for the most part, better teams produce player's with better numbers. if we can get the offense clicking to the level we expect it to next season and bradford drops a few balls that should have been caught, i'll discuss this in a different light; but for now bradford is a solid #2 as much as gaffney is fully capable of being a 'threat'.

Last edited by jr0ck; 04-28-2005 at 03:21 PM. Reason: stupid spelling...
jr0ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #15
barzilla
Veteran

Quote:
That said, the literal statement of most have two guys with over 50 receptions isn't accurate--they want it sure, but they don't have it.
Okay, lets take a look at just the AFC since they are our main competition

Bengals- Johnson 95, Housh. 73
Bills- Moulds 88, Evans 48
Broncos- Smith 79, Lelie 54
Browns- Northcutt 55, Bryant 42
Chargers- Gates 81, Parker 47
Chiefs- Gonzalez 102, Kennison 62, Morton 55
Colts- Harrison 86, Wayne 77, Stokley 68
Dolphins- McMichael 73, Chambers 69, Booker 50
Jags- Smith 74, Edwards 50
Jets- McCareins 56, Moss 45
Patriots- Givens 56, Patten 44
Raiders- Porter 64, Curry 50
Ravens- Johnson 35, Taylor 34
Steelers- Ward 80, Randel El 43
Texans- Johnson 79, Gaffney 41
Titans- Mason 96, Bennent 80

Okay, by my count eight out sixteen teams had two recievers with 50 or more receptions, but three other teams came with five catches of doing that. Only one team had a second reciever with fewer catches than the Texans. Honestly, I think we can say the Ravens, Browns, Jets, and maybe the Pats had worse wide reciever situatuations than us. I'll do the NFC soon.

As for how a wide reciever can disappear? Well, he simply doesn't get open enough to get the ball. Bradford has always tantilized us with his skills, but he has never produced consistently. Honestly, I thought he would be one of the expansion/first free agent guys to get jettisoned. Oh well.........
Old 04-28-2005   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

If we brought in Buchannon and gave Glenn his papers, We could bring in Bruce and give Bradford his papers.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #17
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

look at detroit. they've picked 3 of the most talented Wr's in the draft the past 3 years. you know what though, they're still gonna suck and may have some cap problems in the coming years. you can't always have the best at every position. did everybody give up on gaff or what? the guy came out early and this will be his 4th year and he should improve like every year he's been here. plus armstrong hasn't really been given a chance to shine either. another thing, i'd throw out there is there's alot more competition at the WR spot, so this should improve play by everybody.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #18
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy
look at detroit. they've picked 3 of the most talented Wr's in the draft the past 3 years. you know what though, they're still gonna suck and may have some cap problems in the coming years.
They will make the playoffs this year. Orlovsky = Marino.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #19
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

They will make the playoffs this year. Orlovsky = Marino

are you kidding? the texans have a better chance to make the playoffs.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #20
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think IF Charles Rogers stays healthy, he will get traded after this season.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read